Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

The 3 C's did an amazing job.  I am in awe of each one of you guys . Loved your reports! A friend of mine did it and was aiming for sub 7 but finished in 7:44, his one and only before was 7:22 when he was in college 15 years ago. How the pro's run it in 5/6:xx is beyond belief.

Leslie - Was that a WR for a mara with one good leg?image Sub 3:30 given your woes counts as a good one even if that wasn't the plan. I like your attitude. Well done!

PMJ - Nice mileage stats and a good average pace. What's your A race this year? Sorry I can't remember.

Speedy - Hi! I was just wondering how your comeback was going. Nice mileage! What's on the cards for you? Autumn marathon??

Lumbu - Welcome and keep posting/checking in here!

SJ - Holy Jebus, that's insane stats. 788 miles on a bike and 27.75k swim! 78.5 mile run is about my kinda stats for running at the mo.

Jools - Nice 10k!

G-Dawg - Nice XT'ing!

Blisters - Nice stats too. Is the low running mileage intentional by comparison to your swim/bike stats?

Birch - Solid stats as ever!

Gul - Nice stats too. You decided re the watch yet? All your niggles gone now??

I am aiming for 40+ this week all things being equal.

• Thanks all for the kind words - I'm still trying to work out how it all ended up so well when it was looking so bleak for a time. Definitely some positive learnings to take forward.

Unsurprisingly, no running for me today - walking is still a bit of a challenge especially when there are steps of a slope with a gradient of anything more than 0.005%. Still, managed a paddle in the Indian Ocean earlier today so it's not all bad!

Sounds as though it tough day for you there Leslie - well battled through. Hope the leg recovers soon.

Talking of recovery, great to see Speedy getting back into things again.

May stats for me: 232 miles running (my highest ever May by quite some margin) giving me 1,067 for the year so far. After a rest, the focus for June will be on shorter, faster stuff.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Well done Comrades Heroes! Incredible efforts by each of you. What a success all around. Like a few others have said, not sure I'd do it, but then again in my early 20s I told my wife I'd never run a marathon either. Can't quite wrap my mind around the distance, the hills and the hot conditions all combined together. Recover well fellas.

Leslie, such bad luck that you were injured during the race, and with so many miles to go. Sometimes it's these efforts that really give a glimpse into your guts (and for that the experience is rare and a thing of great value). Embrace your toughness and we'll all hope the next one doesn't have to be nearly as hard!

I managed 232 miles in May so properly back in the saddle now. Did 14 today w/10 subLT (pace was 6:50 ave and HR about 77% of max ave). Felt very strong and in control...last mile was 6:23 so had lots left at the end. Cadence ave was 89 (per leg) which is way up from my previous running (usually round 85ish for faster stuff). Haven't really done many runs over 12-13 miles but still get around 60 per week (upper 40s for recovery weeks). Soon will shift to marathon training proper which will really only mean including proper long runs and hopefully, for the first time, moving my subLT runs into the 83-85% maxHR range. If I can stay healthy and manage to move my LT up I might gain another gear for the upcoming marathon. Regardless, things are working for now and hope, as always, springs eternal.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Some good mileage being logged. Good to see Speedy returning to normal.
    GM  - no, still undecided! But niggle free at the moment.
    Lorenzo - hope the legs feel a little less battered today.
    VTr
    - cracking subLT run - all looking very promising.
    22 laps d&d for a slow miles this morning.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    0.005%! image

Hey, looking good VTr. Stay off the bench and you'll have a cracking autumn race
  • First P&D session of marathon training tonight and it's starting with a toughie. 8 miles with 4 miles at HMP/15k pace. 

Bit of advice please as to what sort of pace should I be looking to hit for the 4 mile section. I was thinking about 6:50m/m.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Tony - if that's roughly your HMRP that's about right. Best of luck!

8 hilly wet and windy trail miles today with a very achey bottom after playing hockey last night. I hadn't played in 4 years and had so much fun. Scored a goal and helped the yeam to a 3-0 win image
  • Didn't fancy the track in this hurricane (it broke my gate it's so bad), so I just plodded out 8 miles on the treadmill. I'm racing at the weekend so wouldn't have been allowed to do a full track session anyway. Think I'll join my old club for a little fartlek tomorrow instead. Assuming the wind dies down. 

Speaking of the weekend, the team manager is clearly desperate. I am down for the 800m, 3000m, 1500m and 4 x 400m relay on Saturday and the 1500m on Sunday. Jools, are you racing either Mids Division 2 or UKWAL Division 1? I think our clubs are in the same divisions for both leagues now aren't they?

• 8 mile lactate threshold canned as too windy with too many sand dunes. Just over 5 miles and I was knackered.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

TH3 - not good conditions out there yesterday!
    MsE - congrats on the hockey goal and win! Nice trail run.
    Speedy - you may surprise yourself at the weekend.
    4.5 recovery miles d&d plus some gardening.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Inspiring stuff from the Comrades 3; almost makes me want to do it myself. Almost.

Good to see VTR going well, Speedy back to it, Gul as consistent as ever, MsE multi-sporting, Slokey doing ridiculous volumes of tri training, Blisters making improvements in the pool, G-Dawg getting on his new bike and GM getting the miles back up. Oh, and don't blame you TH3 for canning the threshold session; windy and sand dunes are not a combination that make for speedy running! Apologies to anyone I've missed.

The most exciting running-related news I have to report is that I have been in receipt of my copy of the marathon runner's bible, aka P&D. There's obviously a sub-conscious intent to run more of them, although when and where I haven't yet pinned down. Most likely autumn plan at the moment is the Oxford HM, with possibly another half shortly before or after so I have a fall back race should things not pan out.

• GerardM wrote (see)

PMJ - Nice mileage stats and a good average pace. What's your A race this year? Sorry I can't remember.

Not decided yet. Got the GFA for the marathon so that is a big tick and currently trying to get some form for fast and short summer races. 6*800m on th etrack at lunchtime,  3:13, 3:08, 3:07, 3:08, 3:05, 3:13.

• Monday. Howling gales. 1 hour on bike rollers. It takes focus. I focussed for 56 minutes. Oops.
    Tuesday. Howling wind, but the opportunity for a swim. The water was effing cold, probably the coldest I've ever tried. We'll call it 11 degrees. The waves and chop at the far side of the lake were somewhat interesting. Managed 1900m before hypothermia started to set in.
    Wednesday. Today. Sunshine 20 degrees and well  and truly sweaty. Went for a nice run. Yes, a R.U.N. Did 15 miles nicely in the zone. No gels or fluids. That was interesting when I got to the final uphill 3 miles. Still, I kept the pace 8:07m/m. It's about 3:30 marathon pace. My lack of running training is clearly evident.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    EPO anybody?......

Sake.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Great training Blisters!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - Yes, well done for getting that box ticked and out of the road. 6*800m is a good way to get some speed back. How did those reps feel?

Abbers - Nice to have a fall back plan should you need it. I've not done P&D but it seems to be well thought of around these parts and elsewhere.

G-Dawg - Easing back into the running with some solid miles on the bike. I'm thinking of getting a new bike, although I don't really enjoy cycling much but it seems to be a good way of alleviating the impact of running whilst keeping fit.

VTR - Excellent to hear you going so well and that's an impressive May under your belt. Has it warmed up there yet?

Gul - Every time I log on here I keep seeing images of some new fancy Garmin device. I've had my Forerunner 205 for nearly 3 years now and it has served me well. Good to hear that you are niggle free.

SJ - I presume you are referring to the BBC documentary that was on tonight?

Blisters - 15 @ 8:07 doesn't sound too bad from here. It's warmed up here too. Meant to be 23-24c for the next few days. image

• Cracking 14 miler there VTR.

Where did you get your P&D bible from Abbers?

Good zoned 15 miler Blisters and a decent pace too. Looks like you have had a busy week so far.

Did you manage those 5 miles at lactate threshold Tony?

Nice lunchtime session PMJ.

Missed the documentary on BBC, but saw it on the news. How much hard evidence is there to take it any further?

Did 6 x600m reps last night down the knackered cinder track, which was tough with the uneven surface, wind & being solo. Averaged 2.05, but think could have been quicker on tartan and with company/faster runners. Nice little 5 miler tonight in 6.28 av pace.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Enough evidence (via witnesses) that even without a conviction, salazar's set up will be forever tarnished. If Mo is clean he needs to get out of there.

Most depressing bit was the journalist getting his own EPO off the Internet, getting big performance gains, all the while passing the biological passport testing.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - enjoy reading P&D.
    PMJ - nice lunchtime track session,
    Blisters - good work!
    SJ - I didn't see the documentary either, but from what I've heard it doesn't look good.
    KR - more speedy work.
    11.5 miles including 7 x 250m "hill" sprints. MIght be the last session for a couple of days as we're off to Cardiff tomorrow.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Have recorded the docu from last night but the highlights on the news were mighty depressing.

Had a sort of doubles day yesterday. Did intervals at the track at lunchtime which comprised 1200, 800, 600, 400, 200 with 200m walking recoveries. All efforts were close to PB which is a good sign. Total run distance was 6 miles.

Got home last night and went out with my eldest lad for our midweek bike ride. 32 miles in total, averaging 18mph which we're pleased with. Rode through Windsor Great Park, some cracking views of the castle in the low evening sun.

I can never get to sleep quickly after evening exercise yet when I do drop off I find it hard to wake up. Overslept this morning and feel knackered now!

GD

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

KR - rather boringly, just from Amazon (other online retailers are available!). I'll read it for general info anyway, but it's the plans I really wanted it for. Just need to decide when to put it to the test.

Nice work from Blisters in adverse conditions, reps from PMJ & KR, and composite session from Gul. What's on in Cardiff, Gul? My old university stomping ground, and still get back there whenever possible. Great city.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Not seen the documentary yet, either, but having read the summaries I'm not sure I want to.  Please let Mo be clean...

8M including 8 x 400m last night and then 6M to work this morning.  Legs still feel a little tired and achy, but getting better.

• Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a few weeks and meaning to get back to posting more regularly but thought Id pop by and say hi.

I'm still not really fully fixed but back to running on the roads again, albeit with (very)limited mileage.

I did just want to add my 2p to the Panorama debate

I’ve watched the documentary and on one level it does make some pretty depressing findings, most notably, demonstrating that the blood passport might not be all that it is cracked up to be and micro-dosing epo can still  be done.

That IMHO should be the headline. Unfortunately the “news” item is some “he said, she said, I saw once but I don’t have too much evidence” allegations surrounding the NOP, obviously engulfing Salazar/Rupp and by implication Farah. If true it is pretty depressing stuff. Perhaps I’m a little naïve and over optimistic, but through the whole programme, there was only one bit of actual “evidence” presented and the rest was verbal allegations.

Without knowing motivations of those whistleblowing etc. why is there more weight given to one persons testimony over another – I guess because it’s newsworthy and it sells newspapers. "Athlete Clean!" is not really a headline.

Pretty sad whatever the truth to see our sport being dragged through the gutter yet again.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I was disappointed in the BBC running it as the headline story on the 10 o'clock news. There was very little in the way of evidence (if any in fact) and the live reporter was just spouting gossip while implying that Mo could/could not be part of 'this' even if there is no 'this' to be part of. It was blatant mudslinging based on speculation and was certainly not worthy of the headline news slot with other more important things going on in the world.

The BBC were just pushing their own programme to be watched on iPlayer but the shame of the whole thing is that those that don't truly follow sport or understand it will once again go away with the conclusion of just another high profile sportsman doing drugs just like they all do. Lazy, tabloid style speculation by Aunty Beeb. Shame on them!

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I think the bigger problem is that evidence in a drug test way doesn't really exist either because they are all clean or because the test doesn't work (which it doesn't appear to). That leaves eyewitness reports and the willingness of people to come forward. I heard the phrase "putting a fox in the chicken coop" in relation to Fifa this morning. It will be interesting to see what this flushes out. Biggest surprise last night for me was Kara Goucher's comments about her experiences within NOP.

If only we had a barrister amongst our ranks who could give us some pro bono info.

As for the documentary style, everything is sensationalist these days and I think they were careful not to implicate Mo. For instance Galen Rupp is no longer referred to as "Mo Farah's training partner Galen Rupp".
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I DO, however think the programme was irresponsible in the way it showed that:

1) You can get EPO off the internet

2) It is genuine stuff

3) It has significant effects

4) You aren't likely to get caught

Get ready to slip down the PO10 rankings!
  • I'm going to have to watch this on the iplayer now. Like you G-Dawg I saw the 10 o'clock news and wondered why it was their top story. No hard evidence or arrests made or people banned/failed a test. It does seem to be sensationalist, but I guess that's TV.

Sound good sessions Gul & Jools. Enjoy Cardiff Gul.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes a very depressing programme last night. It does seem easy to cheat and evade detection, with significant performance benefits. 

Abbers I also studied in Cardiff and met my wife at Uni. We will go back later this year to celebrate out 25th anniversary

I was in Paris early this week, nice run round the park at Chateau Versailles. Today I ran up a very big hill near work in Switz. All going Ok, but my main challnge at the moment seems to be keeping my weight down.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Happy days OO (and congratulations)! Me and Mrs A also met while studying at Cardiff (moved in next door to each other in our 3rd year), although rather amazingly, that's now 20 years ago. Where has the time gone?!?

I guess Panorama has now opened up the opportunities for any number of runners to start making Jurassic improvements.

• Another Cardiff Alumnae (?) here! 1995-1999 plus a bit more if you include my post grad work.

And definitely before they "renovated" the Tav and turned it into a mock All Bar One...