Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Amazing stuff Slokey - the run sounds a bit hard-core though.  There is often a lot of positives that come out of these tough events.  Even finishing is a great achievement.  Loads of respect on that.

I did my cycle commute this morning on a single speed bike that is probably 50 years old and used to belong to my father-in-law. I just put on new tyres and there is still a lot of resistance to overcome. It was by far the hardest 5 miles I have ever ridden without having been preceded by anything else.  I've got to do it all again this evening.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Incredible, SJ - don't know how you do these events  . . . .

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Slokey: wow.  That is properly tough but also just the round side of mental.  I'm relieved you won't be entering next year!

Badbark: you are in phenomenal shape at the moment, to manage a HM at that pace after all the other long distance races you've done.

5M plod for me this morning to try and flush the legs out.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I seem to have some swelling, pain and creakiness in my left Achilles. Any tips on early intervention? MsE?
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

SJ - That's amazing! and they call me mad... image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Cos you are BB!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

SJ and BB, mentalists!!

Top bombing (and crashing)!

GFA update - nowt cookin' yet...

GD

• Echoing the others, madness abounds and SJ and BB are the cheerleaders.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

* * * *  G  F  A     is    O  P  E  N  * * * *

image   image   image  image  image

Although I'm stuck at work and can't get to any of the personal documents they need image

GD

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    You are well hard, SJ. That race sounds epic but perhaps is just a one off thing.

BB - excellent racing! You are obviously made of Teflon too. Not that I'm just a teensy bit jealous.

I didn't run today and hopped on the mountain bike instead. 2 hours later and I nearly died of boredom. I think I might give in and try running tomorrow as it seems to have all calmed down a bit thankfully. They've got a life of their own mine Achilles and sometimes, when my mind really wanders and I'm going really potty not running (like now), I have visions of them like those scousers Harry Enfield used to parody...

Sorry, I digress. Right, SJ.

1. At the first sign of irritation, pull back on volume and intensity. Dr Google will tell you to do eccentric heel drops but don't even think about it until the initial irritation has died down or else you'll be putting strain on an already fraying rope.

2. Ice and/or heat can help heal. You may prefer one to the other however. Ice is a great facilitator in healing but my tendons don't react well to it and prefer heat.

3. Keep running gently. Continuing running encourages the blood flow (which is notoriously poor to the tendons) but bear in mind if the running brought it on you need to eliminate the running related culprits if you can identify them. This could be poor form, hills, hard surfaces, overworn shoes etc.

4. Stretch and foam roll daily. This cures everything including, probably, baldness. And if you can get one, a decent sports massage. My coach told me to get weekly massages when there's an ongoing niggleand once a month for maintenance. If I look back my problems have come when life has been too busy with the family for me to do this and while I've kept up running I've let the massages and foam rolling slide.

5. Think about your diet. Are you drinking enough to supply fluid to the tendons? I'm guilty of this one and it makes a difference. Personally I also find going gluten free helps. I'm not a sufferer of coeliacs but perhaps the anti inflammatory nature of a gf diet helps the tendon calm down. Frankly if sticking pins in my eyes helped I'd do it so going gf is not a hardship although it does mark me out as One Of Those Fussy Types sometimes.

Anyway, needless to say I'm back to doing all of the above. I haven't mentioned the various treatments that can help depending on the type of injury but if it comes to that do ask. For now I'll hope the above sorts it out for you!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    PS obviously it was those bloody great hills you raced up!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    What a wonderfully complete answer MsE. Thank you. Right, I'm off to foam roll my scalp.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Well played on the Wasdale X SJ. It sounds like an absolute hard core mission and a half. The 'run route' sounds very technical, where were the rope sections? 
    Recover well and watch the AT.

BB - Cracking racing from you too. A half marathon sounds almost conventional, until your follow up about the previous mountain marathon! Enjoy your hols and 10k.

MsE - Road bikes are much more exciting! image

Bike It - nice resistance training. How did your BiL get on with his BG?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Fishy, it was just before a stream crossing that then led up sharply to the start of the boulder field - drop down on the way up and climb up on the way down (if that makes sense). It was possible to get up / down without the rope but not very safe with tired legs and wet conditions.
  • Slokey

Ooh, final time about 17hrs 40

Now that's 'ard. Cor.

Everything that MsE is stuff that my physio has told me. I ignore it. Unfortunately, the physios are right.
    One more thing. Sex when you are still in this state is not going to end well. Shooting cramps and contractions can occur at the most inconvenient moment.
    I'd make a guess that your salt balance and hydration is all over the place at the moment. It'll take 2 or 3 days to settle down.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Just off to bed so thanks for the tip Blisters!image

Official result has me at 17:49. Crikey.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very impressive Badbark

Main job for tomorrow....GFA entry

• I've still not got a qualifying time. Clearly I'm not

GOOD FOR AGE

(It's open)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - fantastic HM off the back of that mountain of a marathon.
    SJ - Congratulations, that sounds like pure torture. Phenomenal achievement just to finish, but you turned in a cracking performance. Might take a bit of recovery.
    Bike It - that sounds like my kind of bicycle.
    12 miles this morning - 6 @ 7:51 and 6 @ 7:06.

• Amazing SJ, just amazing!!

Great stuff from you too Madbark.

On a more sane level, it was a gentle commuting run (albeit with quite a heavy backpack) for me yesterday followed by another short sharp (2x400, 2x200) intervals session this morning. Am hoping to make to back from a meeting in tIme to do another track 800m tomorrow evening.

Top of the to do list this evening: sort out GFA entry image

• SteWood78SteWood78 ✭✭✭

Hi folks am a few weeks into a 18 week training plan for the York Marathon in October has anyone but into practice the (shorter) long run strategy whereby your long runs are only up to 16-18 miles but with fast finishes as suggested by sites like runners connect?

• GFA entry done image.

SteWood78: not seen what runners connect recommend but really you pretty much get out of the training what you put in. The wisdom here is that your longest 5 runs should add up to about 100 miles. I tried a little different this year and my longest 5 were 16, 17, 18, 20 and 20 so 91 miles. I also backed a lot of these runs up, so e.g. I did the 17 on a Monday and did a 12 on the Wednesday. I did a 14 one Sunday and 20 the next day etc.

My plan for next year is pretty much the same but I will be doing one or two slow runs to get time on the feet.

• SteWood78SteWood78 ✭✭✭

Thanks Philip for the plan I have mine add up to 96 so close enough I guess. Just wondered if many people were using the short run strategy and had any success with it.I do a similar accumulated fatigue routine too so that the long runs are started on tired legs.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good runs from Gul and Lorenzo

SteWood78 - I've never tried that approach but from reports it's seems to work for some. Although I prefer going the other way including runs close to marathon distance in training. I believe that as long as you are running PB's and staying injury free then you are doing something right. 

I ran a pre breakfast 20 miles this morning in 2:32 including 4 with effort near the end. I ran the faster miles on grass in 6:48, 6:41, 6:46 and 6:22 and now I fly off to Spain for some serious liver abuse! image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I am also off to Spain 2moro for 10 days, I am in Sitges near Barca, great place for running, hope to be out most days with junior.

GFA entry done_ I hope they accept my photographs of the docs....

Does it mean u give it a miss Blisters- you still went for the ballot I hope...

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Welcome, SW78.  I think fast finish LRs work in much the same way as the others i.e. running on tired legs.  If that is your weakness then it should work well for you.  

Back out there for 15.5@8:11/mi.  Achilles quiet but definitely present.  Seeing the fizz later on and will ask for some ART, dry needling and KT tape I think  image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

GFA - can't even spell it.

Decent runs from BB and MsE noted.

Fishy1 wrote (see)

Bike It - nice resistance training. How did your BiL get on with his BG?

Not sure what you mean Fishy.  I have 3 BiL's but only talk to one and he is a very unhealthy guy, but down from 173kg to 109kg after all sorts of health problems.  The other 2 I wouldn't know what they are doing even though they live in the same town.

My wife has booked a babysitter tonight - I had planned to go running but guess I won't be now

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice and easy 7 miler for me today at 7.44 pace. Felt very, very comfy, possibly my new LSR pace?

Next campaign I might try to run all LSRs on feel alone. This year I found that 15 milers to 18 milers were OK to run a bit quicker but above that it felt more natural to go for a slower time on feet approach. Quicker segments in MLRs took care of the pace/endurance combo.
    I did the Thames Meander marathon as a LSR, that worked well and delivered another medal.

Good luck with the maintenance MsE.

GD

• OO52. No point going for the ballot.
    Actually I got totally bored and frustrated with just flogging the miles for just another marathon. I wasn't enjoying it, and I still shudder at the thought. I'm very happy to do it as part of something else. If I got back to GFA level, it might be different. I don't like the frustration.

Enjoyable 10 miler last night, with a pace bike for part of it: ended up going at 6:36m/m for mile 8. Overall average was 8:30m/m.
    I'm hunting for hills tonight. I'm in Brecon. It's very pretty......