Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

Hang in there Poacher, it sounds like the arthroscopy could be a good thing.

SW78 - running on the flat works your muscles differently to running on hills. Relentlessly flat courses like London are hard on the legs because the muscles never get a rest. If your marathon is flat do some flat runs if you can. 

65 miles for the week including 20 miles today. I'm sooo tired now though.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - hope your foot is OK.
    PMJ - good parkrun.
    Blisters - great bike ride and nice steady run.
    Lorenzo - you will be soon the track King!
    SJ - take it easy with that recovery.
    Speedy - 20 miler in the bag already - good mileage.
    Finally bought a nice watch this weekend. Couldn't justify spending too much, so just got a cheap Aldi special! Went to test it out this morning. 8 miles @ 7:33 m/m. Warm-up avg heart rate 143bpm and 4 mile tempo section (6:33m/m) avg was 172 (with a max of 192 somewhere in there!) GPS worked fine. It's the first time I've ever used a HRM chest strap and  it slipped down a few minutes into the tempo miles. Still need to work out how tight to have the strap!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice purchase there, Gul. You'll work that strap out and then be addicted to the stats like me.

Some good weekend work going on there, team. well played.

I was supposed to cycle 75 miles yesterday but my son was called into work so had to bin it. It worked in my favour really as I was short of a run for the week. Didn't do parkrun on Saturday as too busy, so a cheeky little 10.6 miler yesterday was just the ticket.

Didn't time it but I got stronger as it went on. Very pleased as it's the longest run for over a month. Have decided not to time any runs this week and just get some miles covered in this heat and will only do short 5 milers to avoid over-heating. As you can tell, I don't do heat!

Keep cool, team!

GD

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

How is the niggle today, Birch? Hope you are OK, Poacher.  I am also treading a fine line between injury and minor niggle with BOTH Achilles talking to me.  Inevitable really as the other takes the strain when one is moaning  while I continue to work on form.  I'm going to get weekly massages to see if I can sort this out because it is so tedious the way it holds me back.  Pleased to see you have gone all technical now, Gul.  Because you will be able to see what we can all see about your ability to run fast and then take that confidence into your next marathon. Looking good, GD.  

Ploddy 9 miles this morning along the towpaths @8:08/mi.  Now planning a workout to teach in front of assessors up in London to complete the teaching exercise to music qualification I started in December.  Except I have now decided I don't really want to do it.... image

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Happy Days Gul - enjoy those numbers

Good to see Speedy getting back to some big numbers

Things improving slowly but surely here.  22km on Sunday morning and 10 km on the bike with my 5 year old in the afternoon.  That's the longest ride we have done together and, despite wanting a skateboard, he will be getting a new bike when he is 6 in a few weeks. Mileage getting more respectable at 50km+ for the week.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Life has been a bit hectic, but just dropping in to wish Poacher well.  Don't give up - as plenty of others with relevant experience have said, the show is definitely not over yet, because the fat lady is still singing.

Week 1 of P&D completed: 54 miles.  Won't see mileage that low again until the taper!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

decided to have a rest day, MsE - your description "fine line between minor niggle & injury" seems to fit the description - so just being cautious at the moment - & what with the forecast heatwave, might be a good week to do a bit less  . . . .

good luck with the new campaign, Jools

• Options

I like it warm. I had to keep telling myself this. Gentlemen perspire, ladies glow, pigs sweat. Run 8.4 miles undulating. Legs left behind somewhere. I sweated. 8:10m/m. Done.

• Options

Somehow managed a slightly slower 5000m on the track this evening than I did on a trail in a parkrun on Saturday. Bah! image

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - good work.
    MsE - take care now.
    Bike It - steady progress and nice to go for a bike ride with your son.
    Jools - Nice start to P&D.
    Birch - sensible move. Hope it pays off.
    Blisters - good running in the heat.
    Lorenzo - Never mind - there's always next time.
    4 mile recovery run @ 9:00 m/m - avg HR = 135, although that did include a minute trying to figure out how to unlock the watch (which I'd accidentally locked) and stop it! Ran my 2 mile loop round the estate and first time round it was 4 or 5 metres short; second time round it was more like 15-20m short.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

More stats - 231.25 miles for June, which is my highest since April last year image

• Options

June done for me already, stats are 155.66 miles at an average pace of 7:42. Total distance for the first 6 month of 2015 is 1,139 miles. 2,000 a year is a target and looks to be achievable.

Having a few low mile weeks: niggles have been building up and holiday season is on us so low mileage is going to happen and better to get things cleared up properly while the window is open for such. Got a couple of 3,000m track races and a road 10k so rested legs may help.

Plan will be easy July and August and then back back in earnest for the last 4 moths of the year.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Couldn't bear 2 consecutive zero days, so chanced a (pretty warm (Blisters, I was perspiring ))  7 mile fartlek - foot withstood all the planned efforts, but ice pack on it as I type.
    A nice round 200 for the month .  

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Only 66 miles for me in June but I do seem to be maintaining good pace. A few bike rides totalling 250-odd miles with over 10,000ft of climbing has seen my leg strength benefit.

Small numbers compared to most but the plan is to get the London-Surrey 100 out of the way and then get back to building big run miles going into the autumn to set a decent base before the VLM16 campaign.

GD

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Woo-Hoo!! image

VLM16 GFA verified, paid for and confirmed!! I'm IN!! image

Can you tell this is my first one? image

GD

• Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lunch beach run today. 3.5 miles @ 7mm pace = Well done, in a cullinary sense! Quick dip in the ocean and back to the office. Can't wait to get out of here today to get some more beach action.image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That's great GD.

Sensible approach PMJ. Enjoy the break.

Maybe your parkrun is short Lorenzoimage

Excellent mileage being totted up. Very low count for me and not worthy of posting. Had a lovely swim up river to the lower reaches of Windermere and back last night - just shy of 2 miles and very pleasant. I will venture out on foot again later this evening to keep the legs moving.
  • Options

146 miles at 8:19m/m. An alright month. 3 big months coming up.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - sounds like a plan.
    Birch - good miles. Be careful with that foot.
    GD - good bike miles and good news on VLM.
    GM - good lunch time run in the sun.
    SJ - nice weather for a swim.
    TH3 - good prep for the next 3 months.
    6 miles for me this morning, including 2 x 3min efforts for a Max HR Test. Unfortunately lost the HR at some point and maxed out at 184 which was lower than Monday's tempo run! Oh well.

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Oooh,

I've just entered this: http://www.brecaswimrun.com

Excited already!
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    "BRECA BUTTERMERE is an epic Swimrun race across some of the UK's most stunning and rugged wilderness - the Western Fells of the Lake District. Over 17 consecutive legs, teams of two will complete a total of 6km of lake swimming and 38km of trail running, including 1,900m of vertical ascent and the infamous Honister Pass."

I need to get practicing swimming with my trainers on and running whilst wearing a wetsuit. How cool is that?
  • Options

BRECA BUTTERMERE looks bloody awful to me. 

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - totally insane  - go for it!
    8 slow miles this morning - avg HR 125 / pace 9:05 m/m.

• Options

3000m on the track yesterday evening for 10:49. Please to still be going in the right direction, frustrated that improvement is slow.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Last full day of the holidays. Managed to get so e runs in with junior but put on sone timber tooimage

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Slokey: I'll let you enjoy that, thanks all the same.  Sounds too much like hard work!

PMJ: all going in the right direction. Things will click soon, I'm sure.

OO52: I doubt anyone could keep up with you and junior!

9M bimble last night and 5M to do this evening.  We've gone from 30 degrees to about 20 + rain here, so it'll almost feel cold.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

5 warm miles for me at lunchtime. Was running to the track, then changed my mind as I felt very tired from watching the football last night and further lack of sleep due to the heat. Just wanted to get the session out of the way and get back to an air conditioned office.7.05 average, that'll do.

GD

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Imagine running in the lovely countryside in the sunshine and then diving into a cool lake for a bit of a splash about (x8) - what's not to like?

What does a fast 3000 look like for you PMJ (not a distance I've ever raced at tbh)?

Enjoy the weather Jools - sounds perfect to me.

Have a safe journey back OO - you'll soon shift the lard.

That's a good session in the heat GD. I managed a single mile the other night before I was at the heat / CNBA threshold.

Forgot to lube up the other night pre-swim and my wetsuit has carved a patch of skin out of the back of my neck - ouch.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    What does a fast 3000 look like for you PMJ (not a distance I've ever raced at tbh)?

SJ, my aim is pretty simple, 80% WAVA. For 3000m as a 49 year old male the tables give 10:24. That means I am 25 seconds back from where I want to be which may be too much to make up for my next outing in mid July so maybe 10:30-10:40 as a next step.