Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Badbark - some astonishing running there. Very impressive 23 miler with parkrun.
    Abbers - hi. Good to hear you're okay.
    Birch - makes perfect sense now. Hope you're 100% recovered.
    Leslie - Oh dear. Let's hope the physio will do the necessary. As for my gate with the useless handle, I think it's a small deterrent against less agile burglars. Or at least that's my excuse.
    VTr - sounds like you are acclimatising well.
    6 plodtastic miles d&d @ 9:06 m/m HR 122.

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, nice HR for pace! That exemplifies squeezing from the bottom of the toothpaste tube.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I ran in the urban bush this lunchtime - between the university, railway, dam, waterworks and airfield - there is a dirt road through a 50meter wide strip of bush.  Got a nasty shock when I felt a bite at the back of my calf - snake, rabid meerkat or nasty insect were what came to mind. Relieved it was just a loose bit of acacia thorn I had stepped on that swung up to my calf.

Take care Leslie - physio first I assume.

Impressive stuff Badbark

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Urban bush?...... Must resist.......

2x2mile at HMP, 1mile at 10k pace off 400m. #Sweatfest
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Oh dear..... that's bushveld close to town

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - must have given you a fright.
    SJ - good tempo work.
    10 steady miles @ 7:47 m/m HR 151. Think that makes about 261 for July image

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

LH – Yikes, sorry about your injury woes. I’d certainly try the physio first!

VT – I follow the P&D taper which tapers the miles not the intensity so I never really suffer from taper madness. Oh, and I have a half marathon 8 days before the marathon which helps too!

Bike It – Ouch! I’m sure your HR spiked when you thought you were being attacked.

SJ – Great HMP/10k pace workout

Gul – Excellent monthly mileage and good runs

I enjoyed my MLR yesterday which was 15 miles with 6 at MP+20% and 9 at MP+10%. I think this type of run is why P&D works so well, as it followed a 16 mile double day including 5k paced intervals. The last few miles on tired legs replicates late marathon miles well. My average pace for the run was 7:28 m/m with an average HR of 129 so my fitness is definitely back after my holiday.

Another 10 easy miles this morning including 10 x 20 high knee lift drills. A short run back to my car tonight will bring my July total to 323.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Search over- flat share in Brick Lane! Opposite the 24 hour bagel shop...

7 miles with Junior last night- having a good week so far.

4 marathons Badbark image, one a year is plenty for me

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Bike it - bit of a relief then you were not eaten alive by something nasty image

Slokey- 4 miles at hmp -tasty.image

Gul- big month there ,good idea on the gate too that should stop the over 70's burglars image

Badbark-that's great mileage image 

trying a little bit of gentle gym work with cycle /stepper/ rowing machine in the meantime to slow down the weight gain ! only 1 stone in 2 months image

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Really sorry to hear about your injury woes, Leslie.  Hope it is not too long until you turn a corner.  Can you swim?

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

BI, scary.

Leslie, feeling for you. Stinks to be grounded. But hopefully you can find some other outlets to get some work in.

OO, nice work on finishing the search.

Badbark, nice monthly mileage and good fitness levels. What is your max HR BTW? That 129 ave looks great.

Gul, nice monthly total for you as well.

SJ, nice sweatfest and speed!

Another 70 dewpt subLT effort last night. 1 mile w/u, 10 @ 6:57 m/m and HR ave 157, 2.5 c/d. Felt strong start to finish and surprisingly HR didn't spike at end. Just a steady effort. But of course in those conditions I was a #sweathog.

Managed 292 miles for July, which is a PB by about 50 miles. Slowly building to October. Cadence, weekly mileage, and fitness at new highs. Must hold together (knock wood).

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Aquathon tonight. 750m river swim followed by lumpy trail 5k run. I decided to test my new Swimrun wetsuit and swim in trainers / run in wetsuit. Made for a very fast transition but a slow swim (particularly on the up stream section) and a slightly compromised run. I think I was 3rd from last coming out of the water (and a good couple of minutes behind guys I'd normally be ahead of) but zapped through transition by just chucking my goggles as I ran through and then blasted through the field on the run (19:10) for a 33:20 overall and second place. (Fastest run of the night image ) The winner (a young lady) was 5 minutes ahead after the swim and just over a minute ahead by the end. Very good fun.
  • Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Looking good VTr!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care Leslie- is it a recurring problem or first time?

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

SJ, awesome race, particularly the fast run post-swim (and in a wetsuit!)! Still trying to picture this outfit of yours...image

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    It's one of these bad boys:

http://www.fotokenne.se/360_snurror_2/simdrakt/simdrakt.html

Mixture of wetsuit and tri suit material image
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Very cool. But what about the shoes? Does your suit enclose all the way down the leg w/closed foot and you insert your shoes into it to keep them dry? Or just a bootie that goes over the shoe?

• Options
    The suit is an above the knee number bare lower legs and the trainers and socks just get wet. As long as they are fairly light weight, fell type shoes the water isn't really an issue on the run stages.

I didn't think the trainers were much of an issue in the water either until I was racing against swimmers without them on!

Off to Derwent Water now for a 2.4mile swim event - no trainers in this one so should be a bit more pacey.
  • Options

Lots of good miles getting done. My summer just does fit in with such: even though our youngest is 16 we are still tied to school holidays as my wife and eldest daughter are education providers and daughter #3 wants to become a match teacher so it doesn't look like changing ever. Just back from a week in Cornwall and managed 4 runs of 6 to 8 miles on the South West Coast Path so not a complete loss on the running front.About 3 hours after having got back the wife was looking at places for next year: even larger this time: 5 bedrooms and 3+ bathrooms now seems to be the minimum as we appear to have adopted a few boyfriends who are keen to have a surfing holiday as well.

Will pace the 20 minute wannabes at parkrun this morning, then look to see if I can get something done on Sunday to make a round total.

OO, only advice is do not sign up for a long contract. The young guys who work for me seem to switch places very frequently when they first move into the centre and generally end up settling down in little communities.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Overslept again image I'll try and read back later.
    20 miles d&d to bring up 70 for the week. 10 miles out @ 8:05 m/m and 143 bpm, 10 miles back @ 7:27 m/m 159 bpm.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Right, second breakfast on the go...
    Badbark - great MLR - 129bpm for 7:28 m/m is very impressive.
    OO - pleased to hear the accommodation is sorted.
    Leslie - never tried rowing - do you find it enjoyable?
    VTr - impressive stats.
    SJ - excellent aquathon!
    PMJ - welcome back.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

MSE- can swim all of 10 metres  image,could be something to try though but I want to try to ramp the crosstraining a bit before my first physio appointment in 2 weeks time.I could run again now but its just going to flare back up straight away.

VTR-thats a massive month for you image

Slokey-sounds like your new strategy is working with 2nd place image

PMJ-how did the pacing go ?..19:59 or closer image

0052- recurring or rather more or less constant for the last 2 years ,pain before and after every run eases into the run though thankfully and severe pain after any speedwork.When I was getting faster I put up with it but now I think I've reached as far as I can get speedwise carrying this injury(and I want to be faster image got the engine but not the chassis it seems image) ,had a good bit of physio last year thought it helped a bit but was time for an mri etc to see if what's what in my knee.

GUL-rowing I thought would be good for working quads which is where I was told the problem may be but who knows ,its a good all round workout image I have every intention of making a serious running comeback though missing it badly !image

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

OO - Good 7 miles with Junior - glad your having a good week

VT - Great running and monthly mileage. My max HR is about 175 with resting around 38. I average about 160 when racing.

SJ - Excellent aquathon and podium place. I wonder if you would have won if not testing your gear?

PMJ - Well done on the holiday running. I hope the pacing went well today.

Gul - I love that you slept in and still managed a great 20 miles by 8 am! Do you race to post once you get in the house? imageimage

I ran a Parkrun today pushing my daughter in a buggy for her first race. It was a bit of a nightmare at the start as buggies are requested to start at the back. I was held up badly and had to resort to the grass verge where possible. Baby-bark giggled and sang 'weeeee' during these excursions though. image

I did manage around 7 m/m pace for each mile. I told them to press the button twice as I crossed the line as I have a barcode for Baby-bark. I'm proud to say she managed to overtake over 268 people and finish 50th in her first ever race in 21:49. She was first in her age group and has one of the highest weekly WAVA scores in the UK! http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/topagegrade/ image

• Options
    Impressive long running Gul

Tasty buggybarking BB!

About 1:13 for the swim today and 4mins down on where I'd normally be - caught myself being far too relaxed a couple of times so punished myself with a hard last 400m and a sprint finish to go past maybe a dozen of the many dozens of people who'd overtaken me over the 3 laps. Good fun though despite being a bit choppy in the middle of the lake.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrun tale Badbark and good time considering. In my case I paced junior OO hoping for a on. As it turned out she faded in the home straight but still managed 18:28 8 secs off her pb. I put the hammer down in the home straight for 18:16. Looking for a nice 12 miler around Keswick in the morning.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Leslie - admirable fortitude - hang in there  . . . .
    Gul, VTr - good monthly miles - just 175 here, few days lost to caution re niggles, but 2 x 20's bagged.
    Bit more encouraging today (yesterday)?  as I adopted my Feb/March modus operandi of 2 hours sleep preceding 10 mile warmup, then parkrun 21:08, 3 mile cooldown for 16 ---  compared to 4 weeks ago - 2 mile w'up & 21:58.
    1st VoGit & 75.8% WAVA, so a bit more like it, although some way to go yet  . . .

good parkrunning by the Barks & OO's (as is now the norm)   . . . . . .

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, nice 20 miler. Good stats on that one.

PMJ, hope the pacing went well and you get some good miles Sunday.

Leslie, felt horrible when you wrote about missing the running. Hang in there.

Badbark, that is pretty incredible that you race 15 bpm under your max. You're aerobic development is outstanding. I'm near 200 and race at 160 for the marathon. My next gear is waiting. Need to push my LT up to the 165-170 range, just have never managed to get to it. Might have time in this build. And awesome stroller racing to you and your little one!image

SJ, good finish and glad you enjoyed the race.

OO, you always nail those parkruns. Strong one today (for both of you).

Birch, glad to see such a strong race. Things are moving in the right direction!

21.2 miles for me today (managed to get home by 9 am, so channeling, at least in part, Gul). Ran P&D format...Ave 8:24 m/m and HR 126 (65%). Began to tire in miles 16 and 17, then something happened and was strong through the end. 72 for the week. Debating whether a cutback next week or another week on (I've been doing 2 on, 1 cutback). Developed some weird soreness on the toe next to my pinkie toe on Thursday. Think it was because I wore the new Clifton 2's the day before. Hasn't gotten worse and doesn't really bother during runs or walks, but am of course a little nervous just the same (and have shelved the 2's). Maybe cutback is the safe option...

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - it's tough on the bench,  but your determination will help see you back on the road.
    Badbark - congrats to baby - sounds like she enjoyed herself. I didn't race to post yesterday - arrived home around 7:30 and had a cool bath first.
    SJ - good swimming - I'm sure I couldn't do that.
    Birch - that's good going on 2 hours sleep!
    VTr - cutback sounds the sensible option. Great long run.
    Rest day today image

• Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

SJ - Nice fast finishing swimming. 

OO - Excellent Parkrun by you and junior

Birch - Good Parkruning and improvement

Gul - Enjoy the well earned rest 

VT - That's a great 21 miler banked. Cutting back would be the safer option but I'd not going to recommended doing something I wouldn't.

My average HR in the London Marathon this year when I ran a PB was 153. It's about 158-160 in halves and 160-165 in 10k's and 5k's. So I'm hitting about 87% max in a marathon and remember reading somewhere that elites hit about 90%. I just wish I had some running talent to go with my good engine!

I'm off to run the Cookstown HM soon in the lovely rain. It should be interesting as I'm running about 7 miles before it as my last 20+ miler before the Donegal Marathon in 3 weeks. Now the question is will I run the HM at MP or run as hard as I can?image

• Options

Pacing came out at 19:57 but the Garmin measured short so the average pace it was showing was 4:00 spot on. I finished 18th which broke my streak of 3 times finishing 20th running the 20 minute pace wagon: I needed 2 more people ahead of me but they were 20:03 and 20:09. The three who I kept sweeping ahead of me as they started to fade over the last km all PBed.

BB, seems BB junior is not listed as it has an unknown beating you: I assume the buggy rider crossed the line ahead of you.

Gul, solid 20 there. That 2nd 10 miles is at a fantastic pace. Working backwards from paces to MP, it puts MP at about 6:44 or 2:56.30