Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

For those not in the VLM, give Brighton a look. I've done it twice in the past 2 years and got PBs each time. Well organised and well supported. They have a window open for entries right now.

Just back from a long leaving lunch with my team. Bit pissed, so will sign off until next week.

Have a good weekend of running, team!!

GD

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Friz - XC season starts a week on Sunday - meant to be focussing on that, and seeing where I can place in the VoGit category (missed the series last year, my 1st as a VoGit), but focus has been missing, as indicated in earlier post, but pretty relaxed - I think I probably needed a rest anyway, after my 3 maras between Apl 14 - Apl15, then continuing with 20 milers , then old knee prob being bothersome . . . .

anyway, supporting at Mablethorpe on Sunday as my chum competes in the marathon, and my son attempts to improve on last year's 7th place in the half.  should be a good day out.

tomorrow I intend hauling my increasingly bloated carcass back out on the road & trail  . . . .    

OO - how's the post-op recovery (physical & mental) going?  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

meant to add - Gul - if a choice between Manchester & Milton Keynes, then I'd def advise Manc - did this last year and thought really good course, organisation, support .
    Couple of years previously supported mate at MK, running around 11 miles adjacent to the course - many underpasses, twists etc - my mate didn't enjoy at all, although he didn't have a good race anyway, which may have clouded his opinion !  

• Gul - sounds like the best option would be to treat Mrs Gul to a trip away somewhere for your anniversary and then throw in that you're doing a marathon while you're there. On the other hand, perhaps it's not such a great idea!

GD - hope you didn't do too much carbo-loading this evening! image

Working from home most of today so an early start meant I could get a 14.5 mile run in before I turned the laptop on. Very pleasant mix of country lanes and trail (the North Downs Way) while the sun was coming up.

Planning on a double tomorrow of a parkrun somewhere in north London followed by the Bear Grylls 10K Survival Race as part of a team with work colleagues.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats GD and welcome to the club. The year I started with the celebs they were all B listers who just blocked my way at the start.

Hand improving thanks Birch but it will be a long road. 

Away in London tomorrow eve so parkrun + 7 tomorrow 1 hope

• KR - good progressive run.
    Birch - enjoy Mablethorpe - would like to run it myself again one day. Someone on this thread made the same comments about MK so it doesn't sound ideal. The only appeal is that it's reasonable to do in a day and not on a Sunday.
    Lorenzo - sounds like a cracking run. Not sure about the anniversary marathon idea!
    OO - hope you have a good parkrun.
    11 miles inc. 2 x 3M this morning - turned out at 6:56 and 7:01 m/m.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Not posted since June, but have followed this great thread...with highlights including SJs enormous swim, PJFs great Berlin GFA (& techno clubbing), GD's speedy employment turn around.

Hope your post op recovery continues well OO - I once had a similar experience at the green start, with no mark celebs getting in the way.

Gul - all the signs of a physical decline that I expected in my 40s, but didn't seem to materialise, definitely happened in my 50s!

I've continued to have a difficult time with my hip. Had to pull out of GNR & despite a cautious return (it has now been nearly a year!), can't seem to get above 35 mpw, without having pain. Anyway, I've a half marathon entered in Nov, when Mrs. F1 is doing the 10k - so that should be a good weekend.

Also got my GFA VLM mag, which has prompted my post. Not sure if I'll ever get there, but as Lorenzo says, it's early days. I can recommend Manchester as an excellent Spring marathon

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I know all about hip problems Fishy. Mine comes and goes and can have a major impact on a season- just hang in here. Keep stretching and try a bit of cross training- avoiding too much speed work has also helped me.

Good pacing there Gul. I did indeed have a good parkrun- 18:12 for a podium 3rd! The 2 lads in front were 17 and 18, so I'll not get too upset with a 35 year handicap. No long run tomorrow so I added a 6 mile plod on the end. The kind of run that puts a smile back on your face image

• Paced parkrun today but forgot the Garmin which is sitting in my office. Didn't turn out too bad, hit the km marks pretty much on target against a stop watch and eased off the gas for the home straight to try and pull a few more through. Just outside 20 minutes officially.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

parkrun here too - sandwiched into a total run of just over 11 miles.  21:15, which is around "par" currently - not too bad in view of extra timber and minimal running last 2 weeks.  1st VoGit,  76.16 % WAVA

good work (in differing ways) OO & PMJ  

nice session, Gul  . . . 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good traininig & parkrunning chaps! Just a quick pop in to say I have pinned my number to my vest for tomorrow's very LSR! Will be out watching the Rugby afterwards but I will try post a result at some stage tomorrow. Have a good w/end all.

• Welcome back Fishy! Hope it settles down soon so you get a good campaign. Is biking ok?

Excellent parkrunning going on with a notable podium there OO

I managed 7.5mimutes running last night after 2 hrs on the bike

5hr hilly ride around the lakes this morning with the tri club. Lots of KOM sprints. Won some, not all but great fun.
  • Good luck tomorrow GM!
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Gerard. Nothing like pinning on your number.

Great trio of Park Runs & nice times.

Biking is fine thanks Slokey. I can't match your 5 hours, but did have an equally enjoyable 3.5 hour mini tour of Bowland. Some great climbs & fast decents.

Hope you're able to get to Frankfurt.
  • Welcome back Fishy - good to see you on here again.

Congrats on the podium spot OO - sounds as though you're right back into it.

Surprise parkrun podium for me as well - I was running in the Bear Grylls Survival 10K (i.e. a bit of running and plenty of obstacles such as monkey bars, walls, carrying heavy things so not really playing to my strength!) in north London so decided to try out the Gunpowder Park parkrun near Waltham Abbey. 

Settled into a good rhythm from the word go and found myself in a pack of 3 some way behind the leader who'd shot off. To cut a long story short, one of the guys was dropped with about 1K to go and then I managed a decent sprint finish to come in second.

Not particularly quick (19:45) but the course is allegedly 5.1K so probably worth 19.20/25 on an accurately measured course. Given I still had a bit of yesterday's 15 miler in my legs, I'm pretty happy with that.

Good luck tomorrow GM.

Back to watch the rugby and hoping for a better second half.

• have a great race GM!

• OO - great parkrun and a podium finish to boot.
    Fishy - good to hear from you gain. I'd better improve all my PBs quickly before I turn 50 then!
    PMJ - nice pacing without your watch.
    Birch - good parkrun to claim 1st VOGIT.
    GM - go smash it today!
    SJ - some good bike training, but what are KOM sprints?
    Lorenzo - well done in the survival 10k. 2nd place is impressive.
    4.2 recovery miles for a 59 mile week. I hear the rugby didn't go too well. I don't think I was too popular for choosing to song a sing about a Welshman last nightimage

• King Of the Mountain Gul! Riding like a nutcase to the top of each hill. First to the summit takes the crown. Excellent interval training.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Cardiff half as a marathon paced effort, part of my last 20 miler. Pleased - and a little surprised - with 1.22.23 so now time to taper and get my head around 2.45 as a target. It would be quite nice to hit the guys' champs qualifier image
  • Wow Jools - fantastic stuff. Everything seems to be falling into place very nicely!

I'm still aching a bit after yesterday's exploits so just got out for 6.5 miles easy run to take me up to 58 for the week.

• Wow indeed - was that at MP effort???
  • What was the pace for the full 20?

How long 'til the race Jools?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I could chat the whole way round. Warm up very steady - 8.15 ish bar a few strides - and cool down about 7.45s. 3 separate runs on the Garmin so don't have a total time but at a guess around 2.10.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Bad maths: I think that is more like 2.20!
  • Well keep a lid on it now Jools.

We want to see you in the next commonwealth games so save some for the big day! image
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just a quick check in to say I got round in one piece today. 3:20 was my finishing time. Off to drink some IPA's now, but will endeavour to pen a report later.

• Nice park runs OO, Lorenzo, and Birch! Jools, smoking half. Pretty incredible.

Hi Fishy! Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear of the continued hip woes though.

So yesterday's 10K started on a nice cool day (36 F). 1st mile felt fast but was not (6:33) and thought I'd blown my sub40 attempt out of the gate (did this course last year in 40:35; 1st mile uphill, then down for 2, then turn round for opposite). But then remembered I'd left plenty of gas in the tank. Next 2 were 6:15 and 6:09 and felt good. Then the 2 uphill miles were 6:32 and 6:42, so figured if I could keep a good effort would make it. Mile 6 was 6:15 and last 0.2 was 5 m/m pace (but just missed catching a guy I'd been reeling in for while). Finished 39:45 so very pleased with that (but think I need to be more daring in the middle of those races; i.e. get more guts!). So a 50 second PB has me feeling confident for the marathon in 2 weeks. Core didn't grumble, but ended up removing the toe nail on my big toe. SJ, you'll just have to imagine the glory of that operation. Now am deciding whether I can get my LR in on it today.

• GM, missed your post as I was writing. Really nice time! Did you surprise yourself??! I figured  you were going for a more casual lope round. I'm thinking you could really do some damage if you had the time to do a full schedule. Can't wait to hear the report!

• Well done GM - enjoy the beer!

Very promising PB VTr. Sounds like more scope in there too. I've been watching Fear the Walking Dead recently to get my fix of decomposing feet. Speaking of the undead, I'm currently enjoying watching United get hammered - very pleasing after my team knocked 6 in yesterday image

Shin / ankle is feeling a step change better today (no pun intended). Bike later then a little run.