Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Thanks and share the cake if possible!image

Lorenzo - You're logging big miles at this time of the year and I can't recall if you have a race coming up? Sounds like your boy had a great run in the XC and Rogan Josh is a lovely curry, was it lamb or chicken or.....something else?

• GM - I've got the Phoenix Riverside Marathon along the banks of the Thames in 4 weeks time. Not sure if a PB is on the cards but would like to get close to 3:05. It was a Prawn Rogan Josh BTW.

Good luck tomorrow KR - any targets?

• KR - run strong!

GM its Pollok in Scotland - first time I've done it today. Nice run but similar to yours tricky and hilly. I rocked up without a printed card so was registered as Unknown.

Paris is sold out and I missed the boat so Manchester it is, anyone else tempted?

• I might be PJF (depending on today - my 2 fastest times are both at Manchester)

Glad your daughter had a lucky escape!

Best of luck today KR! And to anyone else racing.

Lorenzo, my wife uses an Indian cookbook called Prasad which is excellent for all kinds of Indian food from scratch - nom nom nom
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Run well all you Frankfurters

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks for the kind encouraging words, GM, SJ, VTr, Birch, Jools, OO, PJF, Les, Lor and KR

GM - With the undulating course and weather forecast for Dublin, I don't think I have much chance of beating my time in London (2:51) this year. I was targeting a PB last year which was 2:54 at the time but struggled to finish in 2:58, giving it 100%. Good decision resting your foot and I hope you have a good training run with your friend.

OO - Good Parkrunning

PFJ - Sorry to hear about your daughter and her friends accident. Glad your daughter is fine but that sounds terrible about her friend. Good Parkrunning debut.

Lor - Nice monthly mileage so far and a great 22 miler.

KR - All the best for the Leicester Marathon

I hope everyone runs a great Marathon today or tomorrow. I look forward to hearing about PBs and great performances! 

Dublin will be my 25th marathon or ultra and I should be awarded a bronze medal from 100 Marathon Club Ireland.  So far I've completed 20 road marathons, 1 mountain marathon and 3x 50ks. It took me 9 marathons to run faster than 3:10, but have since run 8 sub 3 hours with the goal to add another tomorrow. My long term goal is to run 100 marathons with the majority sub 3. Run Badbark Run!

• Well the results of the experiment are in.

Hypothesis under examination today was can you PB with zero running for the last 6 weeks of a 12 week campaign?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Tough day for me, too. Breathing not right from the off so sadly the sore throat and lethargy must have been a low level virus and not a figment of a tapering mind. 2.54.30 or thereabouts, so nicht schlecht but nicht gut, either. Time for a snooze and then beer o'clock image
  • On track to about 11k at sub 3 pace then detonated

Cramps in calves and hips seized up

And repeat

For 30k

Lost about 8 minutes in the next 10k to get to halfway in 1:37ish

Fought my way round after that and dug in for a sprint finish to dip under the 3:30 mark

Strangely enjoyable though...

Hope Jools and KR had better days.
  • X post

Still a cracking time Jools

Well fought!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Jools - Sorry to read everything didn't go as planned today. 2:54 is still a fantastic time, especially when not 100%

SJ - Yikes, that sounds like a tough one, having problems from 11k. Well done on fighting on for the sub 3:30.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools not to shabby considering
  • Brilliant time Jools nonetheless, you should stil be proud of that.

A good result too SJ battling with the cramps for 30k. Don't know how you battled on.

Strange marathon for me too today. Got to halfway in 1.32.xx and felt fine till mile 17 then started to get heavy legs. Soldiered on with a few walk breaks and just managed to dip under 3.15 with 3.14.22. I guess the past 6 weeks inconsistent training was a big factor. Will do a report later.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good debut parkrun there, Friz, but big kudos to your daughter turning out in those horrific circs  , . . . . .
    Lorenzo - another good long 'un ground out  . . .
    Jools  -   that's a good result on a 'poor' day by what are now your standards  - hope the beer was till enjoyed  . . . .
    SJ - sounds 'interesting'  -  look forward to the report . . .
    KR  ???

XC race #2 of the 4 race series today - in a nutshell, I managed to beat my nearest rival in the VoGit 60 standings by more than the 2 places and 9 seconds he was ahead in the first contest, so hopefully should move me up to 3rd when official results emerge.  3 x 2 mile laps on mostly parkland - pretty hilly.  Start of each lap flat then long sweeping downhill - but of course what goes down must come up, & long staggered uphill drag beyond the start point, then back for a downhill run to the start/finish lines. At the start of the uphill section on lap 2, my rival was mavbe 15 metres ahead, and I called to a clubmate supporter that 'Ive had it' . . .however, at the top before the run to the start of last lap, I had a lease of life and from somewhere put in a big effort to overtake and on the last lap I felt the strongest I had all race, coming in well clear. A couple of runners flew by, but still think I had enough places to prevail in the series ( finishing places added, lowest total places higher in the table)
    So, quite pleased, but there was a period in the race where I was going to drop out/retire from racing etc etc  . . .  just doesn't get any easier . 

• Slokey-thanks for doing such valuable research so we don't have too , 3:30 is still a fine effort image

Jools-not what you wanted but still excellent and the envy of most on here image

Kr- another 3:15 in the bag image

Birch-well done for seeing it though to a strong finish and beat your rival image

Good-luck all the Dubliner's image

squeezed in a 2 mile run after a 13 hr shift, bloody daylight saving  ....

• Back home now so just time to pop in and see how folks did yesterday.
    Jools - that's a great result by most standards - real shame about the virus otherwise it would have been spectacular.
    SJ - sub 3:30 with no running for weeks on end is still impressive.
    KR - still managing a sub 3:15 is some going.
    Birch - cracking finish - toughing it out paid off in the end.
    Badbark - good luck today in Dublin.
    Sorry for everyone else I've missed.
    After 3 days rest, I did a 14 mile MLR this morning - 7 @ 8:19 m/m and 7 @ 7:41 m/m. Foot seems fine. image

• Jools, sounds like a tough one. Have you got splits and was it bad from the outset or was there a decline. Having tracked your progress at Frankfurt over the last few years I was always amazed with the  super even splits and wonder if you had an inkling early on.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

PFJ - Sorry to hear about your daughter and her friend/ Hope they're OK and her friend's leg heals quickly.

Great running Jools!

Unlucky with the team spot BB. Good running though.

Managed 7 miles yesterday morning at 7.09 pace. Was going to go slower but felt good on the first mile so kept a slightly higher intensity. Got back to see my youngest lad in the 2nd half of his football match and witnessed his first ever booking and subsequent man of the match award!

Base building continues and should hit 100 miles for the month which is good for me.

Have entered the Berlin ballot as a team of 3. Same mates are trying to get me to do Race to the King next summer. It's 52 miles and will be my first ultra. never interested me before but am seriously considering it as a one-off run/walk having a laugh event.

Redundancy money came through. New trainers come today! image

GD

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Slower than I wanted from the off and then gradual decline. Never in it!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

KR - Well done on your marathon and a very good time off tried legs. I wonder if you had fully recovered from your ultra?

SJ - That sounded quite painful but you do seem to like that sort of thing.image Hope you recover well.

Leslie - Good to see you back doing a bit.

GD - Nice 7 miler GD. You certainly haven't lost any speed. Action packed football watching the youngster too. What age is he? New shoes!! What did you get??

Jools - Shame about the lurgy but still an excellent time. Recover well.

Birch  - Well done and by the sound of it you had a proper race and yes we've all faced those demons before and shall return to that dark place again. We love racing, this is what we do! image

Lorenzo - Interesting choice re the Prawns. Personally speaking I would always go for lamb with RJ. Ah yes, I recall you mentioning that marathon and to get close to 3:05 would be very good. I still can't decide what I am going to do re Spring. Need to decide soon.

Pacing duties over the w/end and it went well. We did 1.2k w/u, 7k at HMP and another 8k easy. Came in 3 seconds per km quicker than HMP on the heardest part of the half course, so my friend was pretty stoked. She said she was terrified beforehand.image I am a firm believer in dress rehearsals and she will be ready come race day! The bad news is my foot is sore again. I am back on the bench for a few more days to see if it settles down. I am going to book a trip to the sports masseuse this week. Will be painful but hopefully will help.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Great running Jools and SJ - always difficult with some residual infection but superb execution by Jools.  Inspiring attitude and approach from SJ - a good result given the first 11k and the volume of running you actually do.

No running last week for me until Sunday - work deadlines got in the way and I was working until 10pm-2am all week.  I was a bit tiredimage.  The week off did my legs some good anyway and they feel a lot more alive than they have for a while.  I got very stiff though after crouching over my desk for 70 odd hours.

Of course, to compound difficulties, there was some africaness thrown in - I arrived at the university gate on Friday to be told "no work today".  This was after the campus at Mafikeng got wrecked by students on Thursday protesting about fee increases.  So I had to work from home and of course broadband was not working.  Had to work over the mobile network in the end.  Of course I was very grateful that I still had power (although I have battery backup capacity for  8 hours) and water (although I have my own borehole in the garden).  Still job done in the end.

LSR on Sunday of 29km which was enough - pace was good but legs tired after a while.

• Back home

It hurts us precious!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Well done KR. Excellent running to do exactly what it says on the tin - sub3:15. You've shown very good pace until 17 miles. Always good to get a marathon done
  • KR, I think GM has a good point there. It takes me weeks to recover properly from an ultra or IM race. Even when you feel ok there's a layer of weariness under the surface that takes time to shake off.

Any news from BB?
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I finished the Dublin Marathon today in 2:51:38, which is my 2nd fastest time but definitely my best performance, due to the wind and hills compared to my 2:51:08 in London. I went for the sub 2:50 but 25 mph SE wind meant we were either climbing or had a head wind for about 20 miles! I think I'd have run a sub 2:50 today in flat course with little wind. 147th place from over 13,000 wasn't bad. image Full report to follow within a few days.

Well done KR!

• Great run Badbark image

• Great run BB. Dublin isn't the easiest course. Kudos to you fella! You seem to really thrive on a hectic schedule.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great run Badbark really amazing how you keep pulling these out.

And congrats on the XC Birch, sounds like a tough one.

rest day here after 17 yesterday.

How are the legs today Jools, I suspect they not be feeking too bad, since you were not at the limit?

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Badbark - Yep, you nailed it. Top performance and unreal considering all your recent sub 3's and the foul conditions. . Enjoy the craic and recover well.