Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - rain here too - but no Windermere (or swim either). Good sessions.
    GD - good reps on tired legs and nice MLR. Enjoy your rest.
    OO - good set of reps too.
    Leslie - you've frightened most of the dogs away.
    Lorenzo - all the best in the 1500m.
    12 slow miles this morning - 9:02 m/m HR 129. Brings up 70 for the week. Better take a rest day tomorrow.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, check out Planet X - they have a clearance section which can have some bargains (on already great value bikes). More mainstream is Giant Defy Advanced 2 for an endurance set up (Shimano 105 and disc brakes for 1200ish - this would be my pick) or a Giant TCR (105 again but a more aggressive position - I have one of these in my stable).

Shin and ankle are really sore today - I think that's my last run before I race in 10 days just to make sure I can get round (at whatever speed)

Raaargh!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

So how many bikes does SJ actually have in the stable....

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ahem

Dining room currently has 4 bikes in it much to my wife's dismay

Only 3 of them are mine though!

My TCR, my beloved R3, and my P3 (tri bike). That's not overdoing it is it? And of course the n+1 law of bicycle ownership makes any number acceptable.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

You have more bikes than I have pairs of trainers.  If you put the dining room bikes on turbo trainers, and rig some tea trays onto the handlebars, you could get rid of the table/chairs and dine en famille while cycling. That would surely make MrsSJ very happy.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    But top marks for improvisation Poacherimage
  • SJ - you keep your bikes in your dining room?! Also, despite looking on the interweb, I haven't fathomed out what TCR stands for - I thought it was some kind of Scalextric set!!

Seriously though, thanks for the recommendations - it might be pushing it a bit to head up to the Planet X store but there look to be some cracking deals on line. On the other hand I've got a Giant shop about 10 miles away so I'll be popping in there tomorrow morning!

6 miles easy first thing this morning and then 1500m on the track this afternoon - because of a couple of late drop outs, I was B scorer (gulp) with younger Lorenzito as A scorer - at least he didn't lap me although I suspect that him having run a 2:03 800m a couple of hours beforehand worked to my advantage. Not got the official time yet, but I think it was around 5:20 so a bit of a so-so but at least I picked up a couple of points.

• Cracking going everybody, some good detail in reports and given me some confidence my plan is about right. Also really enjoyed BB ultra report and cycling sounds great Sj.

Not had much chance to look in never mind post, but running been OK. Keep wanting to get off road up and down the hills like i usually would this time of year, but committed to the road till September and will stick to it as feels good to do a bit more fast running. Going reasonably well, lsr upto about 100mins tomorrow, last week's 90 at 8s wasn't too much of a killer. Overwise the steady runs are getting a bit faster and most the easy ones at 8-9 pace are easy. Track/speed .., it's hard to tell as 3 v.different session in last 3 weeks.

Just need to get eating right now, too many treats....
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:27 parkrun yesterday followed by 14.5 today scraping a 40 mile week. I decided this was enough today to peak for the Coastal in 2 weeks. Took junior with me and she easily kept up. this is her longest ever run.

Doesn't look like much racing going on. Must all be enjoying a fine day of sport. on TV..

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul-cracking week

Slokey- 4 bikes in the house ? my one was evicted and anything else I leave for 5 secs is put in a cupboard image  reps should be worth a few secs more on a normal day as I was having to work far too hard for the pace.

Lorenzo- nice 1500m and time for a new bike, no pint spending half the price of one on repairs  .

DE- everybody eats too much ,me included.

0053- nice parkrun.

5 easy giving a crap 21m for the week image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - can't be too shabby if you picked up some points!
    DEot - training sounds like it's going well.
    OO - good parkrun.
    Leslie - quality not quantityimage
    12 easy miles this morning. Was aiming for a HR of somewhere around 145 and seemed to be fine until it went beserk yet again just before the last mile and shot up to well over 200 for the best part of 3/4 of a mile (max 225). That took the average up to 146. Starting to get worried that it's some sort of arrhythmia (cheap HRM more likely!)

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

(cheap HRM more likely!)

or, as I say good looking behinds and coffee.

10 miles yesterday at 10 minute pace but 2.5 hours on the feet. Needed an easy, social run and that was exactly it.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Lorenzo: If that's the Giant bike shop in Guildford, that's where I bought my Giant Defy 0 last year. Very good service in there, make sure they throw in the free bike fitting as part of the deal, well worth it.

Parts of my bike are carbon but not all of the frame, alas I couldn't justify the extra few hundred quid. However, the aluminium frame is still very light and the Shimano 105 and Ultegra mix of components make it a much higher spec bike than most others in that range.

GD

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

OO, blazing parkrun!

Lorenzo, good motoring in the 1500 as well!

Gul, I think you have a crappy HR strap. What watch do you pair it with? If it's a garmin, I can send you a link to a strap the never does what you are seeing. And you'll easily get at least a year's life out of it before it may start behaving a wonky w/readings (and for $30 USD, a reasonable yearly expense). I'd only be concerned about those spikes (e.g. not due to bad strap) if you are also feeling your heart race at the same time. Otherwise, totally bogus as each of us would certainly know when we'd gotten to max HR!image

So Leslie, finally started my faster work! Am going to follow the Hanson 61-80 mile plan (I'm jumping in at week 7 of 20). Today was 3 mile warm up, then 6 x 800 at 5K pace w/400 jog recoveries, then 3 miles cool down. First 800 a bit fast (2:59), but then settled in at 3:08 for last 5. the last 3 definitely felt like more effort needed to maintain, but I think that's to be expected. These are my first intervals since 2011. Could tell I was out of my comfort zone (a prime indicator I need to continue!). Anyway, I'm in the water now so will continue on. My other quality work each week will be a 8-10 mile MP run (aka subLT). So still keeping one of my normal sessions but adding in the speed for the other. Fun to mix it a up a bit. Next week will be 12 x 400...

Back still tweaky but heel flared up (getting some numbness in foot again). Fizz visits on calendar.

• Good to see Gul doing his humming bird impression again!

What's the Hanson plan like VTr? I've heard of it, but no real knowledge of how it compares to say P&D. 

G-Dawg - yes, it's the one in Guildford. They really seemed to know their stuff in there and I was very impressed. Planning on going for one of the Defy Advanced bikes but trying to work out whether it's worth the extra £150 for a 105 set on the Advanced 2 or sticking with the cheaper model. The various reviews I've read (plus SJ's comments) suggest it's worth shelling out that little bit extra.

10.5 miles of various commuting legs today - felt tougher than normal but that might have been because I was a bit tired.

Just seen the results from Saturday's 1500m - ended up with 5:18.4 for a 2.3s PB - every little bit counts!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - neither in sight.
    VTr - good work there. Can't imagine not doing any intervals for 5 years - 5 weeks is bad enough! My watch isn't a Garmin and to be honest I'm not too bothered about the occasional errors just as long as I get enough data to see the general trend.
    Lorenzo - nice one! 2.3s is a far chunk off a 1500m PB.
    14 miles this morning. First 7 slow (9:02 m/m HR 126), last 7 easy (8:22 HR 137).

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ- change is as good as a rest .

VTR- you have been missing out image Good idea to try different sessions too to work other paces .I vaguely remember 80 mile + weeks though it will be a while before I hit those numbers again , too much getting in the way these days .

Lorenzo- 5:41 /mile not too shabby image

GUL- nice 14'er.

Track for me too and 3 x 1 mile this time ,track was shared with other runners and no dogs for a change and only one middle aged woman who thought the racing line was the best place to walk ! image

All around 6:10 m/mile despite garmin reporting 5:27 for the first half of mile 2 ( not  likely ! ) 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    2nd rest day in a row here

#chilled
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - next week you'll have it all to yourself.
    SJ - good chilling. What's happened to Moof?
    Recovery run this morning. 6 miles @ 9:10 m/m.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Gul, I think he's in stealth training mode - I expect to see him cruise past me on the marathon leg next week!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

quiet lately  . . .  good a time as any for a "me" post image

but first, good to see VTr pop back, and Gul is quietly stacking up the miles - remind me, what's the Autumn mara you have lined up? 

. .  well, not much going on here - at least I managed 39 last week, despite the continuing CNBA which saw me amass just 33 miles in the previous fortnight. I need a goal to get me going, I guess, but the main issue is whether I've retired from marathon running. I intended last year's VLM to be the swansong, but something in me won't let go. I certainly wouldn't better the time, but it's so satisfying to plan and execute a campaign. On the other hand, why not finish with a really good memory (which VLM 2015 was), and concentrate on other distances (esp as WAVA for 10K & half mara indicate I'm "better" at those ) ?  In the meantime, I have 10K a week from now, so better head out for a run . . . .

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Birch: What's your mara PB again? If you still have the flame, fire it up!

Had the weekend off but disappointed that the legs weren't that fresh for Monday's 6 miler. Did it at 6.56 pace and it was hard work at times. Windy conditions and monsoon rain near the end didn't help but I should have felt better.

Moved my 10 miler forward a day in order to feel fresher for this Saturday's first 20 miler of the campaign. Nipped out with my mate last night and knocked the 10 out at 7.08 pace. Lots of chatting which shows we're in fairly good nick but again the legs felt heavy at the start.

Rest day today, again in order to cope with tomorrow's club pyramid session before Saturday's effort and will do the 5th session of the week as a short recovery run to see if that helps my legs for the start of the next campaign week.

GD

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

BIrch - a date in the diary is good. But it's also nice to turn up at an event with entry on the day and just run with no pressure and no plan. It's not the best way to run a mara but for a scenic HM or trail race it makes a decent day out which puts the fun back into running.

Lorenzo - thinking about getting a road bike - amazed by your repair bill though - what went wrong with the bike and was it bad luck or just natural wear and tear?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Decent mileage Birch.

GD you do indeed seem in good nick- will be interested in you pace for 20 miles.

Watch those injuries VT.

I hoped for a good week but so far it's fairly average. At least I've run every day so should reach a decent mileage. I'm planning a parkrun showdown with junior on Saturday, then off to Harrogate for a couple of day. Sunday run will be explore and get lost. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

GD - my mara PB is  2:46 (see Avatar), but that was way back in 1991 - last year's VLM  was 3:18 -   both around 76% WAVA, though.  

Poacher - yes, a couple of mates keep trying to tempt me with trail races, but the one they did at the weekend doesn't encourage - further than advertised distance, misdirection by marshals resulting in added loops for some but not all - so no accurate finishing places etc 

6 easy bagged today, and daughter here on flying visit, so 15 planned with her tomorrow. 

• Hi all.

Birch - likewise my wava usually better at short distances, but i get more enjoyment from long. I was mostly road for more than 5 years. Been mostly trail running at over marathon distance the last 5 years and do enjoy that more than the roads (peace, tranquility, etc...) even when quite a tough pace overall the early miles seam nice and easy. Worth a try to see if suits and a bit of navigation isn't as hard as it looks. odd distances and Varied terrain add to sense of adventure and prevent to much fixation on time.

VTR - quite some miles on that plan, that's probably the key to efficiency though. Good luck with fizz.

Lorenzo - cracking mile time not long a get some pretty grueling long stuff.

Leslie - track for u sounds quitr the adventure. I like the benefit of a dog and Walkerless track bit have to pay for priverlage over here so swings and roundabouts.

g-dawg - sounds like some good pace in training. you always did seem to be able to operate at good pace many days a week.

OO53 - enjoy harrogate, nice place for a road run and some cracking off road not far away. Great 10m road race a short drive away with challenging hills. Guy fawkes 10, not sure if they map route on web but will worth a go for a challenging 10 if you have the time.

OK here, some of paces still seeming challenging. But local club 8m race on slundulating course on Tuesday went well. Pace only 12sec/m off my track 10k pb (2012) and 5 off road one (2011, flat course).
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - decisions, decisions... Resistance is useless! As for me, I haven't booked a place in an autumn mara yet. Enjoy today's run with your daughter.
    GD - not surprised your legs are tired!
    OO - showdown with jnr - sounds like you're a glutton for punishment!
    DEot - nice racing.
    First LR since White Peak this morning. 8 miles out @ 8:48 m/m HR 132 and 9 miles back @ 7:54 m/m HR 144.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch- come on old lag image , sign up you know you HAVE to  image

G-dawg it going to get tougher too (id imagine ) no pain no gain image

DE- well on the pace now.

Gul - another longun, good to see some faster miles too.

Gul was right ! track again and after my strides racing line walker cleared off leaving the track completely empty till 2nd last lap where 2 dog walkers came in ,looked nervous as I tore past them and they held a dog back from roaming into my path and duly left image

12 x 400m all at 1:30 (6m/mile) with a burnup on the final one for a 1:23 lap image