Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Moof - very sorry to hear that ,hope you can get another race lined up soon image 

Poacher - nice half mara and a pb of sorts image

5 easy this morn after nightshift .

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Really gutted for you Moof - I was looking out for you all day and wondered why I couldn't see your result image

Very mixed day for me

1:07 steady swim

5:16 bike - felt great and came off the bike 4th in age group and in the 20s overall I think

5 miles into the run my hip started playing up and my back seized up - had to jog/walk with lying down to stretch every couple of hundred metres - ended up just walking with my hands on my thighs as though climbing a mountain (it is flat). 4:52 or so for the run giving a total time of 11:22

Not overly happy - enjoyed the bike but I think my running days are nearing an end sooner than I thought

Right - off for some beer!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a very good time in the conditions Poacher you were looking in good shape.

This is a great race if anyone gets a chance to do it- an absolute classic. My run was a bit below par 1:31:09. Junior was 2 mins behind and 5th lady- first counter for the club ladies who won the team prize.

GNR is next in the diary- anyone doing?  

• Moof - absolutely gutted for you. Are there any other ones you can do over the summer to capitalise on the training?

SJ - sounds as though the last leg was super tough but well done on battling your way through it. I take my hat off to anyone who can get through an Ironman.

Poacher - another decent run from you there.

OO / Jnr OO - congrats to both of you. Must have been a good tussle between the two of you.

Managed to get 33 running miles in during the week before picking up my new bike on Friday morning and taking it for a couple of spins over the weekend. A problem with the right shifter which left me stuck in the smallest cog at the back (not great for hills) meant I had to take it back for a replacement on Sunday morning (I was not impressed) but all now seems to be sorted so hopefully I'll be able to get a few bike miles in over the summer.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Well done Slokey, great swim and very impressive bike time, shame the run didnt go to plan. The conditions looked pretty decent.

Lorenzo- Weymouth Ironman is at the beginning of September which is a decent back up option as a couple of work colleagues are in it and will be camping, so I could join them for some cheap accommodation but the event is  still £400 (I think). I'm reluctant to shell out that sort of money and I really can't be arsed to put in another block of dedicated training.

I'm off on holiday tommorow so I'll think things over, I did plan on having a couple of weeks off but I've somehow managed to sneak my trainers and swimming googles into the case.image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Have a great holiday moof

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - well done. Sounds like a great effort and a great course.
    SJ - sorry to hear you were in trouble so early on into the run - that looks like a fantastic first 2 legs.
    OO - not too shabby! Well done to junior OO.
    Lorenzo - sounds like you;re going to enjoy the new bike.
    moof - that's an insane price. Enjoy the holiday and hope you can come up with a plan to put all that great training to use!
    6 recovery miles d&d.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Slokey.  Sounds like you had to dig very deep during the run - chapeau!

Have a nice holiday, Moof.  Don't rush into any decisions.

Just about to head off for a recovery run.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Very bad do with the food poisoning Moof. Have a great hol including your surreptitious running and swimming.
    That's good running at the Northumberland Coastal, Poacher and OO. Sounds like a beautiful, classic course.
    Hope your recovery run left you feeling refreshed Jools. 12 weeks to Chicago feels very exciting!
    I'm glad you sorted your bike issues Lorenzo (and I'm not surprised that you weren't impressed). Enjoy being a summer Rouleur.
    Another nice and early 6 there Gul.
    As always Slokey, your triathlon endurance efforts remain very impressive, particularly your time on the bike leg. I'm sorry to read about your hip and back difficulties. Rest up and recover well.

No running or cycling since my knee accident last Tuesday is not what I expected the summer would bring. I can, however, swim pain free, so have had a daily routine of circuits and swimming at the gym. I'm hoping for some improvement this week.

• Bad luck on the DNS Moof.

SJ: good swim and bike, but this is a running forumimage Hat's off to anyone who does this stupid triathlete stuff. I have a friend, Nicholas Browne, who is a seriously fast runner (go look him up on https://www.worldmarathonmajors.com/marathon-stars/six-star-finishers/ and see he has done all 6 world majors and his slowest is 2:44 and best 2:26) and he just did a half this weekend and his run was 1:27 when he is a sub-70 guy standalone.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Everything hurts today!

Owwwwww

PMJ - it puts it into perspective when Jan Frodeno put in a 2:40 marathon last week at Challenge Roth to finish with a WR total time of 7:35 - (45min swim! / 4:09 bike!)

Enjoy your holiday Moof - hope you get a target lined up soon fella

Enjoy the bike Lorenzo and hope Fishy recovers soon
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- very well battled on to finish ,clearly dnf just doesn't compute ,I hope you can still get some running done in the future image I'm sure you would have been right up with  jan were you not injured image

0053- 5:20 miles during the week and a 1:31 half !  Did you sneak a parkrun the day before ?image

Moof - just chill get over the disappointment and see how you feel in a few days (then book it ) image

Fishy- get well soon.

Track this morn after 12 hr nights :

3 mile hard (6:14 average though garmin thought it was faster ) ,1 lap easy followed by 1 mile flat out to finish (6:08)  Legs were like jelly after !

Modest 31m last week .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I did parkrun Leslie but just to pace my middle daughter to a PB of 24:57. The Coastal is no ordinary race. Mainly off road including 3 beaches. My best ever time is 1:26. But your right I was about 2-3 mins off what I was hoping for. Hopefully I'll get it right for GNR.

• I didn't see any thread runners at yesterday's Coastal race.  The 7ft tall Poacher is usually easy to spot, in his Day-Glo running vest, but not this time.  And OO was doubtless home and hosed by the time I lummoxed over the finish line.

It certainly is a special race, but with a 450 mile round trip, this was probably the final Coastal for me.  I was fortunate enough to come second in my category, which was an emotional way to sign off from this event. 

Yep - I finished second out of all the runners with the same first name as me.  Not sure whether there was a prize for that.  Just under 1hr 51.  So about a minute quicker than last year.

Good to read tonight that the runner who was airlifted to hospital is now apparently on the mend.

Moof - that is indeed a whole barrowful of unpleasantness.  What a balls.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    TAR - great to hear from you and well done on your "podium" spot - v impressive! A minute quicker than last year too! Impressive form....

Nice reps Leslie and yes, I'd have smashed it! Few weeks of recovery / holiday now before OtillO. Hoping the broken up nature of running and swimming will enable me to cover the 40miles of running without crumbling - tight cut offs and a team partner piles the pressure on a bit!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0053 beach running well that makes it a lot tougher and I'm sure gnr will go well and an easy parkrun is ok .

Tar nice second place and if there isnt a prize there should be !

Slokey 40 miles ! Thats going to hurt a bit !
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

TAR- sorry we missed you at the Coastal, that is some journey just to get to the race. I think it was about 15 years ago that runner died in a similar spot on the same final beach. Very relieved also to hear that this guy was luckier. It certainly put my below par run into perspective.   

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - hope the knee improves soon. At least you can still do some swimming in the meantime.
    SJ - aching easing up yet?
    Leslie - another good track session.
    TAR - great to hear from you - we've missed your humour! Well done on finishing 2nd in two categories.
    10 easy miles this morning @ 8:18 m/m HR 136.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    No Gul, no it isn't

Off to find some more tablets!
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Long absence again...life's been so hectic it's been hard to get on here regularly. But great racing to many of you recently. SJ, gritty performance to cover all those miles on foot when your body wanted none of it. Seems you smashed the phases I and II and given new hip you'd surely have smashed phase III. Sorry things have gotten so problematic. Hoping for better luck in your next venture (but 40 miles imageimage?). Moof, horrible, horrible news after all that dedication and effort. Find some other way to use that fitness.

Leslie, you are an interval machine! Nice wheeling recently. I am now 3 wks into the Hanson's plan so have accordingly done 3 interval sessions myself (wk 1, 6 x 800 w/400 jog recovery; wk 2, 12 x 400 w/200 jog recovery; wk 3/today, 5 x 1K w/400 job recovery; all done at 5K pace which has worked out to about 1:31 400 M; 3:04 800; and 3:57 today for 1Ks). Today felt very strong vs the earlier sessions so perhaps am starting to adapt. HR on all other runs has dropped like a rock too this week. Long runs in place now too (18-19 milers and comfy). Overall liking this plan. Lorenzo, you asked what it was like. An average week would be 8M Monday, interval session as per above (or other iterations upcoming) Tuesday (10-11 miles total), Wed, 6 miles, Thursday 8-10 miles at MP (14 total), Friday 8M, Sat. 6M, Sunday 18-20M. Also have strides thrown in Monday and Saturday. One quirk is that this 20 week plan has no cutback until taper. So I'm doing 3 on and imposing my own cutback. Mileage ranges from 60-80 (but I will take 1 day off each week so more like 60-70ish). Some weeks will also replace the midweek MP miles with a progression 10M ending at half marathon pace and then throwing the MP miles into the LR on weekend. I like it because it is very much what I have been doing but I drop a subLT (aka MP) session for a V02 max interval session, which I believe I have needed for quite some time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

VTr - good to hear how you're getting on. Sounds like an interesting plan. I'm not sure 100% sure exactly what my next phase will look like - need to sort it out soon as it might be coming up soon.
    10 slow miles this morning @ 8:47 m/m HR 132.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Interesting, VtR - sounds like hard work!

Local 5K for me last night, and felt the lingering effects of my cold as my chest tightened on the last lap.  Bit disappointed with only just ducking under 19 mins, but pleased that the legs don't really feel like they raced at all, so it was definitely far from flat out.  Fingers crossed for some Pavey-esque improvements once I'm over the cold!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR- good to hear you are cranking out the big miles and reps too ,3 min 800 reps is probably where you want to be for sub 3 training id think image I'm cranking out lots of high speed stuff but no long runs and low mileage as higher miles my dodgy knee was complaining a bit. perhaps surprisingly 3 rep sessions a week isn't annoying my knee at all image yet ! and I've ditched my gait correcting insoles with no problems so far as I was just finding then uncomfortable and they were hurting my heel.

Gul -nice low hr 10 

Jools-sub 19 is a fine run !

8m yesterday ( longest for ages it seems) then track again ! and shared with an actual runner actually doing reps ,I must be dreaming !image and no dogs !

10 x 400m with 100 slow jog recovery, a very ambitious start 1:23, 1:24, 1:21 imagemade the last 5 a bit of a suffer fest image but most in the 1:26 to 1:28 range .

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

TAR sorry to miss you, I did have half an eye open but was overwhelmed by family duties.  North Northumberland is indeed a heck of a way from almost anywhere - we can drive 180m south and still be in Yorkshire.  But it's the remoteness which keeps it relatively unspoiled. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - not too shabby after a cold - I'm sure there will be lots of improvement.
    Leslie - good set of reps.
    6 easy miles @ 8:17 m/m HR 134.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice 400s there Leslie, top bombing!

God running, Jools hope the cold disappears soon.

I feel tired today. Did a 15 miler last night, it was warmer than I expected. Ran with my pal and we just took it easy. Didn't check the watch until the last mile, really surprised to see 7.50 pace. It also completed a 7 day period of 58 miles with only one rest day. The day before was a 6 miler at 6.56 pace which seemed to be a breakthrough run. Sometimes in a campaign a run comes along and I feel I've gone up a level

Tonight is 6x1k at the track and then I'll rest for 2 days (socials planned). I may ask the coach to bung me in a slower group to avoid overload.

GD

• Week of feeling that maybe I am getting better after about 5 or 6 5ks in a row all pretty much 19:30 on the nose and thinking I am on a plateau and the only way is down.

Did a handicap on Tuesday: just over 5k and my handicap is 9 minute sand the first off is at -3 minutes so he had a 12 minute start on me: it is an out and back thin loop so I reckon he must have been close to the turn before I even started. Handicappers seem to have got it right so I ran the first half solo and wandering where everyone else was. Made the turn and I could see runners for what seemed a mile ahead but over the last half mile all the runners seemed to be lined up ahead of me and I just had to pick them off one by one and hope I had got them all by the finish line.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - sounds like things are going well. Enjoy the track session and then the social/rest!
    PMJ - great work. Must have been very satisfying.
    Progressive HR test this. 5x1.5M in progressive HR zones. A slight improvement on last time, but probably bottoming out now. Need to decide whether to move on to the next stage of training or not. Overall 8 miles @ 7:59 m/m.

4th Jun       1st Jul       29th Jul
    HR/Pace    HR/Pace    HR/Pace
    134/9:52    129/9:41    128/9:17
    136/9:20    136/8:43    134/8:42
    146/8:46    146/7:51    146/7:49
    153/8:11    156/7:19    157/7:12
    167/7:28    167/6:48    166/6:47

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice going Gul, that's good discipline to put that test together and monitor it.

A quick note on the track session last night.
    6 x 1k with walking 200m recs (around 2 mins. I felt shattered from the previous night's 15 miler and only having one rest day in the previous 7 days (58 miles) 

However, I was surprised at how it went. warmed up with a 1.5 mile easy run with some strides to wake the legs up, then got the session going. The coach set my pace at 3.45 per 1k (somewhere around 5.50 per mile pace) Splits were, 3.42 - 3.45 - 3.42 - 3.40 - 3.42 - 3.37

Legs very tired today but 2 days rest!! image

Enjoy the weekend runs, Gang.

GD

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - cracking reps! Enjoy the well-earned rest.
    14 mile MLR to end the week for me (rest tomorrow). 7 miles @ 9:00 / HR127 and 7 miles @ 7:52 / HR 146. 54 in total for my cut-back and 278 for July, which I think is my highest ever.
    Anyone racing this weekend? Have a good one, folks.