Sub 3h15

Comments

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Very good progression there Gul. Which training plan are you following?

Very fast reps GDawg. You're reaping the benefits of having a coach.

Nice motivating handicap PMJ. It must have felt good picking off your 'minute markers'.

I tried a tentative 4 miler this morning, after no running or biking for 10 days. All was ok and I resisted the temptation to carry on at my 2 mile marker. Also, there are no negative after effects, so hopefully that accident injury is better.

• Been a bit absent due to work pressures at the mo so a belated well done to the Coastal runners.

Also good to see some impressive training being logged by Gul, VTr, Leslie and G-Dawg.

Good news from you there as well Fishy.

I've managed to get a few runs in during the week including one in York and one in Rugby, but they were more at the easy end of the spectrum.

Pleasant 40 mile spin on the bike this morning, including the last 15 miles or so with younger Lorenzito who'd decided to do a loop of Box Hill so a minor detour towards the end of my planned ride meant I could link up with him. Happy days.

Hoping to get out for something similar tomorrow morning.

• parkrun this morning: had a day off yesterday in the hope that I'd be fresh and hit it harder: 19:32, same as it has been for the last 7 or 8 outings. Plateau!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

hi all - not posted for a bit - strange month of part CNBA, part life issues etc - anyway, it's only 12 weeks to first XC of the series, so need to get in shape to defend my title image, so 15.5 on Wed, drove over to daughter's local parkrun today and recorded 21:36 for 33/397  &  1st VOGIT  with 74.92%  WAVA  - so relatively pleased.  btw, PMJ - your time must yield a decent WAVA score?  

month's total only 142 (just creeping over 50% of Gul's tally) - I really hope you cash in on these miles in the Autumn, Gul  . . .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I am in London visiting daughter no 1 in Greenwich. Family outing to Southwark parkrun produced a 17:58 my fastest for a couple of years. 2nd overall. Nice job to hear your going well Birch
  • Great parkrunning OO - sub-18 is a cracking time.

Might have to change plans for tomorrow as we live in the middle of the loop that's part of the Ride London event so there are a whole load of road closures. Suspect it might be an early morning trail run instead of a bike ride.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

just realised there's a day left in July, so 8 tomorrow will yield 150 for the month - not a lot, but sounds better than 142, somehow !  

OO - belting parkrun - your WAVA must be over 80%  ?   

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, OO: you are in cracking shape at the moment.

PMJ and I are struggling, it would seem: 39.29 for me at Battersea Park 10k yesterday, with the same issue I had during Tuesday's 5km, i.e. chest tightening after a couple of kms so that I just couldn't really get into gear.  Quads are a little sore after 15M in lightweights this week (5km on Tuesday and all of yesterday's warm up, race and cool down) but no real DOMS, so at least I can reassure myself that it hasn't taken too much out of the legs!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Fishy-best to stop before it hurts but sounds promising anway.

G-dawg- 5:50 reps, good pace image

PMJ- time to make training changes maybe you are much faster than a 19:30 image

Birch top wava 

0053 after those mile reps sub 18 was only a matter of time image

Jools- maybe coming down with something ?

15k race planned today image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Getting over something, Leslie.  Had a cold which started 2 weeks ago, but thought it wouldn't take as much out of me as it evidently has!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Danny Mcdaid 15k completed in a time of 63:02 according to garmin ,my pb is 62:28 so not far away now image

Struggled at the start ,target pace was 6:40 by my legs refused to dip below 6:45,then 6:48 and 6:46 for first 3 miles, I blame thrashing myself round the track on wednesday image  ,at mile 4 there was a long hill  climb then it was flat all the way home and a group of 7 lads I was struggling to stay with I easily passed on a short downhill after nearly running into a guy who moved over as I was charging though lol

I was then slowing passing runner after runner all the way in at about 6:35 pace although on the last mile I just couldn't get past a guy and he even started to pull out a short lead again and I was running out of steam but in the 1/2 mile was running about 6m/mile and last 50m where it finished on the track I got the hammer down and just pipped him 1m of the line image.

Jools get well soon image , I have the start of a cold trying to latch on this last week ,everybody at work is coughing the sputtering it seems image only a matter of time I guess ...

2 more races booked ,10k next week and a half early september .

• Not too shabby Jools, especially as you're on the road to recovery. Hope you feel better soon.

Ditto Leslie.

I could probably have got out on the bike this morning and avoided the closed roads, but decided to head out on a trail run and managed 14 miles to end up with 142 for the month (so please don't be too harsh on anyone with that mileage Birch!!).

Strolled over to watch the elite race this afternoon and caught Froome, Thomas et al on the bit where they were doing the three laps. All good fun.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - pleased to hear you seem to have recovered from that injury. I'm not following any specific plan at the moment. While reading Tim Noakes' Lore of Running I was inspired to take on Mark Allen's training ethos (although I've no aspirations to get into triathlons!). Currently in the equivalent of this "patience" phase. Hence the slow HR training and progress tests. Looking at the general trend of my HR/paces, I still seem to be make gains, so I'm sticking with it for now.
    Lorenzo - nice running and cycling.
    Birch - good parkrun. I've still not booked any races yet!
    OO - excellent parkrun - you must be chuffed with that.
    Jools - hope you're completely recovered soon.
    Leslie - great racing. You've done really well to get back to full fitness in a relatively short space of time.
    14 miles this morning. Very similar to Saturday's run .7 @ 8:56 HR 128 & 7 @ 7:47 HR 146.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul nice 14,it feels like things are going the right way now even on low mileage ( but high intensity).image

Lorenzo- 142m sounds good to me ,see below image

July stats:

128 mile for the month  and 37 for the week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I watched some of the cycling yesterday. There were some horrible crashes. I did the Ride London 100 event last year, the first 40 miles are chaotic but seemed to settle down once proper hills were involved. Great event.

Just an easy 4 mile leg spinner for me yesterday to get the weekly total to 40 and finish the month off with 185 miles. If I'd have gone one more mile I'd have got my highest monthly total ever instead of equalling it. Ooops, schoolboy error!

6 miler planned for today, that will take me to the 1000 mile mark for the year, the earliest I've ever hit it. In fact, I'm on schedule to get my biggest ever annual total (nowhere near some of the great totals from you guys, though). The benefits of 2 x campaigns, eh?

GD

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Fast park run times from the the evergreen Birch and OO.

Jools - hope your cold improves soon. I would be very pleased to run under 40 minutes for a 10k at any time, let alone if I was feeling under the weather.

Gul - that's interesting what you say about Tim Noakes and Mark Allen. I've recently read the The Endurance handbook by Phil Maffetone, which has a forward by Mark Allen. It all seems to make a lot of sense. I need to improve my patience (in terms of lots of easy miles) - it is a virtue, after all.

Easy 4+ this morning over trails and hills - very therapeutic.

• July totals 179 miles at 7:45 pace for an annual total of 1,364. Always start above 200 miles per month and fall off over the summer and then close in towards the end of the year as well.

• Good mileage from PMJ.  What are your mileage and race goals for the year?

A quickfire half hour on the bike for me this morning before packing and heading off for a few days break in Moscow with MrsL while younger Lorenzito is at a running camp near Bracknell.

Not sure how much running I'll get done while I'm here but I have brought the necessary kit just in case the opportunity presents itself.

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gul, you have shown some very nice fitness gains on the HR plan you are following. The test you do seems similar to what HADD proposed, but I have never actually done that. You are certainly ready to add in some of the subLT stuff now (perhaps over-ready!). You'll see (further) significant improvement with this component when you get there. And I think you'll learn the feel of your realistic marathon pace very well and have a metric to know where you are in your next race. If you pick a flat, cool weather race, I don't think there will be any wall for you to hit if you do this HR stuff correct (big PR could be in the cardsimage).

On my end, I had 267 miles in July (and 1567 on the year). Am liking the Hanson plan. Have been feeling very strong and love the new twist in workouts.

On a more serious note, was literally passing blood in urine this past week. W/out all the details, found out I have a 7 mm kidney stone. Luckily, no pain at all (just the blood after a few runs). Lithotrypsy to break it up planned for Friday and then hopefully out it comes. Have had one before (but that was fetal on the floor can't be arsed to function type of pain) so seems to be common for me. Need to drink more water and cut out all the coke zero I drink! Doc says I can still run despite the bleeding. This was a cutback week for me anyway so have taken 2 days off and am debating whether to do more or not. Life is full of surprises.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - low mileage/high intensity seems to be working well for you!
    GD - well done on hitting 1,000 miles earlier than ever.
    Fishy - Noakes mentioned Maffetone in connection with Allen. Sounds like another one for the list!
    PMJ - solid miles.
    Lorenzo - hope you can sneak in a few reps round Red Square!
    VTr - that must have been scary till you found out what was causing blood in your urine. Hope all goes well on Friday. Thanks for the advice on training. The HR test I am doing is from HADD and not Allen. He did an 8 mile run (same course) with HR no greater than 150 every month or so (I think). Training is likely to be disrupted during August with holidays, so will just tick over now till September.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Forgot to report 8 slow miles @ 8:44m/m HR 133.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    VTr: sounds scary! Glad the docs think it is nothing too serious.

Lorenzo: enjoy Moscow. I'm jealous of you having access to proper pickles and all those dumplings!
  • Good luck VTr! Sounds grim

Enjoy Moscow Lorenzo image
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good luck with that, VTr. I had a massive glug of beetroot juice this morning, sweated buckets during my run at lunchtime and the resulting pee colour was something not too dissimilar to your experience.image

Enjoy Moscow, Lorenzo. Just booked 4 days in Rome for the end of August, it will hit my campaign but the running break could actually do me well.

8 miles at 7.10 pace at lunchtime. Overcast but very humid, absolute sweat-fest!

GD

• VTr - sounds a bit worrying. Hope everything is OK.

Jools - no dumplings yet after overdosing on pierogis when we were in Krakow recently. Georgian food last night, Uzbek tonight. Very tasty. image

Gul - zero miles so far but hoping to have a session in the hotel gym tomorrow morning. Not the easiest place to go for an outdoor run here, but might see if I can make it to Red Square and see if VP wants to join me for a few reps round the Kremlin Walls!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Take care VT Runner, at least the cause is clear.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - solid lunchtime run.
    Lorenzo - maybe you could do some drills too? Goosestep, maybeimage
    Another 14 miler this morning. 7 @ 8:55 HR 133, 7 @ 7:53 HR 150.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice early miles there, Gul.

Not quite in your league but I did manage to do a 5 mile fartek session at 06.30 this morning. Average pace was 7.21, happy to get the day's run out of the way, it was very humid this morning and it  looks like it's warming up again,

GD

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

VTR- hope that kidney stone comes out easy image Nice totals so far !

Gul -I'm sure you must be looking forward to getting the hammer down after all this plodding image

Lorenzo-sounds like you are having a nice time.

G-dawg- nice early run (by normal standards not gul standards) image 

had planned an easy 3 miler last night before track today but had my tea and was too full too bother image

3 x 1 mile with 400m recovery , 6:15, 6:17, 6:19 last one was a struggle on still tired legs  but it had to be today or forget it as I've a local 10k on sunday.image

• Lorenzo, enjoy Moscow but remember it is not real Russia. No current plans, all I have is a vague idea to run Bramley 20 in 2017. Club V50 record is 2:19:20 so all plausible.

Seems like the summer we know is back: yesterday long run in the pouring rain and today 20+ mph winds.

Odd today crossing Hammersmith Bridge: old guy way ahead going very slowly and young lad behind up going a bit faster but still slow who tucked in behind. I passed them both and suddenly young lad speeds up and comes flying by me. I picked up speed (to about 7:15 pace form 8, so not really speed) and sat on him and he seemed to panic and had to cough, splutter and tie his lace.