Sub 3h15

Comments

• Only a few spaces left and runs alongside the 24 Hour World Championships -

https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/40895951/select-race?_p=18396219840943084  

I'm in image

• It really is wonderful to see the off spring doing so well in these races. It's one thing to have some talent but to do well in these events takes a lot commitment to regular training and making sacrifices at a young age. I really do enjoy watching the young XC runners going to battle, it's tough out there even for them fit youngsters. 

Abbers - Good juggling and good to get week 1 done and dusted.

Poacher - I'm curious to know many of the 54 did you actually try for sub 3? You seem to run most of them for fun or just as a random act of madness to endure more pain. Shame about the bike but least you are in one piece and still running.

Lorenzo - That race does like brutal indeed. There is a mile race on new year's eve here that starts at sea level and takes you up to one of the highest northerly points in the Island. I did it back in 2011 and swore I would never do it again. I am considering doing it this year. It's horrible! image I think I may have over done the intensity last week and was very tired yesterday. Hope to be ok for tomorrow night but fear I may have blown my chances as my legs don't feel great.

MsE - I do love your Christmas name. Thanks for posting that. I hope to do Boston soon. 

Leslie - Jersey has quite a few miles of hills too and runs slow, will you be able to train on the course? I find there is no substitute for that especially a hilly one. 

Badbark - Trust you! How are you getting on?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info MsE, it all makes sense. I sent a message to my running pal just yesterday stating that our LSRs will have more hills with emphasis on strength and deliberately trashing the quads to toughen them up.

Went to the gym for the usual strength/core session last night and with hills in mind, got back on the weight training too. Stood amongst the musclebound hunky types who were lifting huge weights while I elowed them aside with my cotton bud of a bar bell...and tweaked my hamstring! image

Not too bad, will see how it behaves at the track tonight.

GDMOH

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Poachers mothers boy child wrote (see)

MsE - Boston is challenging and hard to pace, but none of the hills are massively steep. Weather could be a bigger factor than gradient. Heartbreak need not be a heartbreaker.  A memorable day out whatever happens.

My brand new road bike was officially written off today, destroyed by the crash. So, back to running image

I couldn't agree more from observations of friends who run Boston every year.  The weather seems to thwart most people's attempts at PBs even if they have trained for the course terrain because it can swing from sweltering hot to inhospitably cold.  A friend who runs as an elite (2:47 PB) always runs it well whatever the weather as she trains during her summertime so is heat acclimated if it is a hot one.  I have been reading Race Jase's blog and am curious about heat acclimation runs.  They seem an easy way to encourage the body to be more efficient in training and I wonder if they would also serve to prepare one well for a hot spring marathon?

And sorry to hear about the bike but OMG it shows how lucky you were to get away relatively unscathed!

• GD - really getting into those trail runs! Couple of good track sessions too.
    Leslie
    - stonking mileage for 7 days. And an exceedingly impressive fast finish 20 miler.
    Poacher - nice accidental marathon entry! All that precis work in English classes wasn't entirely wastedimage Good mileage all considered. We're all relieved it was just the bike.
    GM - hope you have recovered from the virus. Maybe that was the cause of the hard-going 15 miler.
    OO  - yes, hopefully all this pain will be worth it as it could secure us some formal recognition from the NHS and open up lots of doors to expand the business. Cracking parkrun!
    MsE - that's a great reason to do the Ultra.
    Lorenzo - can't believe you missed an opportunity for cake! Congrats all the same.
    PMJ - always winter but never Christmas, eh?
    Birch - you should have said it was a scheduled cut-back week! Great going by your son.
    SBD - good start to the campaign.
    SEdan - hi. Just enough to keep ticking over till the New Year.
    Abbers - enjoy the rest!
    Badbark - 24 hour world championships! Awesome.
    Really must get back into posting regularly! Sad to report no miles logged at the weekend (late night Christmas Parties on Friday and waiting up for Miss GD 1 to come home on Saturday!), but 9 easy yesterday and 20 this morning. Closing in on 2621.875

• Gul - It's a busy time of the year isn't it and a nice 9 backed up by a 20 too. That target is great. 

G-Dawg  - Watch that hammy of yours. Mine has been playing up too in recent weeks. 

5k race for me tonight. I was hoping to make amends for a poor run last month on the same course. Got there with plenty of time to do a mile w/u and chat to a few of the guys and my strategy was to go hard from the start. My Garmin isn't working too well after all and I had to rely on my reliable Timex stopwatch and luckily I know the course well so had a very good idea of the km and mile markers. I went off like a rocket and was slightly concerned that I was ahead of the 2 sub 17 guys for the 1st 200m or so. Oops, I went through the 1st mile in 5:46. Hmmm, this was going to hurt a bit. I settled into a much more comfortable rhythm and a friend of mine passed me just before halfway. Had a quick glance at the watch and it said 9:18 for halfway. I was blowing a bit at this stage and thought the next mile or so would be crucial. The conditions felt perfect on the way out but there was a moderate breeze on the way back and I was slowing and paying the price for my fast start. I managed to overtake my friend with a mile to go and just dug in. The last k or so felt hard but was happy to cross the line in 18:54. Not a pb but a decent enough effort and a 49 second improvement on last month's run. I had hoped to be nearer 18:30 but I have been running so sporadically lately with no structure and have done no proper speed work so I have to be reasonably pleased with that. I am going to focus on speed in 2017 and really want to get down to the track and get some semblance of structure back in my running. Was lovely seeing all the familiar and new faces and there were some very good runs by many tonight. so it was a nice evening of running before the festivities kick off. 

• BB - that looks heumungus, and right up your street

MsE - interesting take on Boston. It would be easy to knock off a HM PB on the first half, the trick is to push it a bit while respecting the much harder 2nd half. Incidentally, Boston is easier for female runners as they don't have to stop for snogs at Wellesley. That was the only reason I didn't make the Kenyan Olympic team in 2012. (that, and not being Kenyan.)

Gerry, sub3 came in mara #31 but TBH it was only the 2nd realistic attempt - the 1st involved an ugly detonation at VLM with some painful 9.30 miles towards the end. Sub3 was never the big motivator, although I am glad I did it once and would highly recommend it.

8m today - already trebled November's pathetic mileage.

• XP Gerry that's pretty good - sub 19 and you will improve on that big time

Gul - those miles - image you've had  a really strong year

• Poacher - Thanks! Ugly detonation sums up my last marathon. I'm amazed you have done so many but it makes sense that it wasn't/isn't a big motivator for you. Nice to have a 2:5x to your name. I'd be happy with a 3:0x but a 2:5x would be cool! 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

At the moment I can only dream of a 2:5x marathon - but may be happy to settle for 3:1x in 2017image 

Good speed tonight GM - keep the monthly improvement going and you'll be flying

Must do Boston some time - but perhaps New York first ...

Good miles for the last 2 days Gul and an impressive, if not overly precise, total for the year

Hope the marathon preparations are going well Poacher ...

PMJ - I'm sure there is a good 20-mile out and back minor road route between Bisham Abbey and Henley but I haven't quite found it yet!

Leslie - The Walled City marathon sounds fun - a few fast HMs between now and June should make a 2:5x achievable.  At the moment, the target for me is to make the start line, although a GFA place for 2018 would be nice.

8 miles steady today with some strides.  I'd forgotten what a fast leg turnover felt likeimage

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

great midweek 20, Gul - and great annual total

Badbark image  image  - really - glorious insanity !!! 

Gerry - good racing - 49 secs is a big reduction over 5K

Poacher - ah,yes, Boston 2012 - the kisses at Wellesley didn't quite make up for the injury & heat blighted experience - but still a great experience ! 

quiet day here - just 6 easy . . .

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Top bombing, GM. Quite an improvement on last month. Same again in Jan? image

Took a small risk with the hammy last night and went to the track. It was a Gerschler Fartlek session which meant I could run on feel rather than have to do sharp sprints and potentially over-stress the niggle.

To cut the risk further I drove there rather than run and did a 2 mile warm-up. During my warm up I add some strides. This had the effect of adding speed to my 2 mile warm up which averaged out at 6.35 pace! image

The session was longer than the last time we did it a few weeks ago. What happens is we run easy around the track, the coach sounds an air horn and we have to put an effort in for 30 to 60 seconds, sounding the horn when the effort is over. Some walk the recoveries but I jogged them to make sure I kept the hammy moving. Ended up with 6 miles at 6.45 pace.

Really happy with the base at the moment. Also weighed myself this morning and despite loads of Chrimbo crap food and drink of late was pleased to see I'm just under 13st and only 2lbs off my Berlin race weight. Should be lighter going into Boston, so who knows what's possible there?

GDMOH

• GM - great 5k. A slightly more conservative start and you might well have shaved off another 20 seconds.
    Poacher - #31. A long, long way to go for me then...
    SBD - always a welcome variation to the P&D schedule! As for being overly precise, I blame King Edward VII (I think that's right?)
    Birch - not quite there yet - should hit it next week all being well.
    GD - that's some warm up! Good session.
    7 slow recovery miles d&d early this morning.

• SBD. wrote (see)
    PMJ - I'm sure there is a good 20-mile out and back minor road route between Bisham Abbey and Henley but I haven't quite found it yet!

I have tried but have never found one. Just had a look at the definitive map and the issue is Culham Court. For those of you who don't know the area, Culham Court is owned by Urs Ernst Schwarzenbach who is a UK-based Swiss financier. In April 2015, the Sunday Times estimated his net worth at £1.0 billion. The property spans from the Thames all the way to the main A4130 to Henley so the only official way through it is on the Thames Path and not many of the well surfaced service roads.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Well done, Gerry Christmas!  Shows that a rest is as good as the real thing.

Poacher - yes the Wellesley girls!  I did wonder if you partook image

SBD - well done on the run with strides. I know what you mean about quicker pace.  It seems to go so easily.

GDMOH - you are on top form at the moment.  Hope you can have a good lead up to Boston. You may be able to run well AND snog a Wellesley girl. image

Birch - quiet and easy sounds perfect!

Gul - incredible mileage. Have you considered an ultra?  Less stress?  You definitely have the miles in you.  I know of a lovely ultra in Surrey in June.... image

Day 3 of week 1 of the campaign. First run with some picking up. Just an easy hour with a bit more pace for the last 10 mins.  Av 7:49/mi with a 6:36 final mile.  Depressing to think that final mile was just 10 sec/mi quicker than my marathon PB pace.  Is 16 weeks enough to get back to PB form? image

• MsE - yes, don't peak too soon! Funny you should mention ultras. I have been thinking about the Peddars Way Ultra in January, but after doing a lot of racing this year (a lot by my standards, anyway), I am cautious about mentioning this to Mrs GD! However, it's selling out fast with just 20-odd places left. As appealing as Surrey sounds, I am trying to stay local, so the alternative is the Norfolk 100km, which is also in June. I'd rather do the shorter one first (48 miles), but in for a penny in for a pound!

• Gul - sounds to me like the best option is to persuade Mrs Gul that you're taking her for a romantic weekend in Guildford and go from there. 100km has got a certain appeal to it though! 

On the subject of Edward VII, interesting to note that, according to Wikipedia,  whilst the 1908 marathon was the one where the extra distance was added to take it up to 26.2 miles, in 1912 the distance was 25 miles and in 1920 it was 26.6 and it was only from 1924 that the Olympic marathon was standardised at the distance we know and love. 

7 miles in very misty conditions through the woods this morning to follow up 10 commuting miles on Monday and 6 yesterday. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Once we've sorted out the time machine, I need to go back to 1912 to set my marathon PB!

Gul - my brain works slowly at this time of the year but I'm starting to understand ...

Quicker than target MP at the end of a medium long run is something to celebrate at this stage of the campaign MsE

Today was a day for stocking up on the Vitamin D.  So lunchtime 12 miler in winter sunshine wearing the shorts.  All very pleasant and picked up the pace for the last 5 miles, averaging 7:08 min/miles.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    SBD. wrote (see)

Once we've sorted out the time machine, I need to go back to 1912 to set my marathon PB!

Gul - my brain works slowly at this time of the year but I'm starting to understand ...

Quicker than target MP at the end of a medium long run is something to celebrate at this stage of the campaign MsE

Today was a day for stocking up on the Vitamin D.  So lunchtime 12 miler in winter sunshine wearing the shorts.  All very pleasant and picked up the pace for the last 5 miles, averaging 7:08 min/miles.

Excellent run!  Was it nice and easy or pushing it a bit?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sorry 'Ive been out of the loop this week but managed some decent miles.  That's a nice 5k Gerard- you must be pleased with sub 19?

Poacher, Hull is a possibility next year but I can't really commit that far ahead- it sure was a nice race, but I doubt we'd ever get those conditions again. Sorry to hear about the bike I hope you will  get some insurance off the driver?

Spent a couple of days in Montreaux which was very nice indeed, even if I hate Christmas markets. 3 very nice runs along the lakeside path which is longer and better lit that many other parts of the lake in Switzerland. I'm cooking nicely for the 10k on Saturday though facing a nasty piece of dental work on Friday image

• Lorenzo - 25 sounds good.
    SBD - great pace to finish your MLR.
    OO - a lakeside run in Montreux sounds appealing. Dentist not so. Do you have a target for the 10k?
    10 slow miles for my Christmas card run this morning.

• Gerry that's a cracking 5k time ,the speed is back !

MsE mara pace is always hard at the start and its a long way of yet

GUL you have unfinished business at mara distance first before any ultra's image

SBD nice fast 12

Badbark 24 hrs,  Id be interested to know how you prepare for that time on feet image

SN0053w dentist pre race sounds drastic 

2 fastish ones for a warmup then straight into a 10k with no rest time was 39:51 which is a pavement pb ,gps was playing up a bit so it was maybe 20 secs quicker id guess but can't prove image then 2 steady to finish

10.5m at 6:46 average pace.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Some swift runs being logged by GM & Leslie, and notable MLRs for SBD, Gul, Lorenzo and others.

MsE, plenty of time yet. That's what training programmes are for! Always seems slightly unbelievable this far out.

OO - best of luck at the dentist. Sounds unpleasant.

10 steady said P&D, so 10 steady it was. No chance doing that at lunch, so into work early, run, shower and up to the desk soon after 9. Seemed to fit in OK. Think that will be the plan for most of the midweek MLRs.

• OO -  A trip to the dentist is never something to look forward to. Good luck in your 10k. Re your question - I was reasonably pleased with the time but thought I could get closer to 18:30 but as Gul said had I paced it more conservatively I might have but I will have a few more opportunities in the new year and the aim is sub 18 by the summer.

SBD - That's a fine 12 miler. You seem to be building very nicely.

Leslie - Excellent stuff altogether. Will you be having some time off over the festive period?

MsE - I think Manchester is a good choice of mara for you. The course is fast and there will be plenty of runners shooting for quick times and the added bonus of not having to catch planes will help too. Two of my female runner friends are also doing it and they have been trying to dangle the carrot at me but I resisted and the next time I am there will be to take my son to watch the football. He's passionate about it. 

Gul - 100k! That makes me shiver at the thought of it but it seems to be something a lot of endurance runners want to do. I'm firmly not in that camp. A standard marathon is plenty long for me. Nice 10 xmas card run. Did you do one drop off or was it a multi drop off in true Guldolph style? image

Lorenzo - You always amaze me how you can fit all the running in with all the travelling for work you do. You deserve a good crack at a sub 3 as I know that's a big target for you and 2017 could well be your year. I really hope so. 

Abbers - Nicely done. A good friend of mine is follwoing the same plan as you and has been doing most of his MLR's before work. It will get easier once we pass the winter solstice. 

I've been mulling over my 2017 plans and I've decided to have a crack at some short distance times and will spend more time down the track next year than I ever have. I have had the urge to run a stand alone mile for a few years now and have never got round to it, so that will be one of the targets I set myself. There aren't any road mile races here but I plan to rope in a few faster runner friends and will try organise a track mile or even try and convince the local club to put a road one on? I have set myself the goal of sub 18 for the 5k and sub 38 for 10k. I might try get a half in the spring but that's further down the list of things to do. I think all of the above are achievable and will be easier for me as I don't have enough time to be able to commit to a marathon training programme and it's a better fit for me as things currently stand with childcare etc. I would like to do an autumn marathon but that's a long way away for now and will shelve all thoughts of that for now. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    ChristMsE wrote (see)
    SBD. wrote (see)

Excellent run!  Was it nice and easy or pushing it a bit?

It was about MP Effort.  Not particularly planned, it was just that the conditions felt good.

Good steady 10 Abbers

Impressive pavement 10K PB Leslie - what's your race PB?

Sounds like a good place for a lakeside run OO.

Gul - some people will do anything to save on postage.  Do you do European deliveries as well?

GM - A lot to be said for focussing on the shorter distance.  I'd really like a sub 60 10 miles some day but fear it may be beyond me ...

10K recovery for me today - on the treadmill at a constant speed although I did have the gradient set to 1%image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Good dreadmilling there SBD. Good to see that 1% was on other wise they don't count.

Interesting plans Gezza. You'll smash the short stuff and really enjoy it. People tell me Boston isn't a PB course so The Surrey Half is my PB focus for the next few months, I want to get close to 1.25 (current PB 1.27.59) if I can.

No chance of getting to the track last night but managed to do a 4 miler in the morning while I was working from home. Took the first mile easy as I wanted to test the hammy that played up in the week, it was OK so I decided to turn it into a progressive run. Spits were 6.58, 6.47, 6.36 and a pleasing 6.15 to finish. Average was 6.38 and very happy about it.

This is probably the fittest I've been going into a campaign, so I may have the weekend off and then 17 weeks of constant fatigue kicks off on Monday! image

GD

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gerry- sub 18 is a big ask at 5K, and you will find it tough getting there. I only managed once this year by finding a flat course in London and training for it . Not sure I can get that low again.

Target for Saturday 10k is 38:XX. Its a tough hilly course and I've never broken 38 here. Main target is to give junior a run for her money.

Just off to the dentist image 

• Leslie - storming 10k in training!
    Abbers - solid steady run.
    GM - sounds like a good plan for 2017. And yes, it was a multi-card drop off, in fact a bit too multi-card as I accidentally posted 2 through the same letter box!
    SBD - 1% is plenty. European? Sorry, no, I couldn't swim that far!
    GD - more speedy miles!
    OO - hope the visit to the dentist isn't too traumatic. Good luck for tomorrow.
    12 mile MLR early this morning - seem to be in permanent ultra-pace mode at the moment.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Leslie - Wow! Top bombing! What a scorcher. BOOM!

GDMOH

• Gerry you already have one 5:46 in the bag you just need to tag two more onto it for a sub 18 ,get down that track ! image If it's not hard it's not worth doing image I will have to take some days of at Christmas or there will be trouble in the camp but we will work with it as best we can as I need 80 more miles to make 1900 this year image

SNoow53 goodluck staurday

SBD My pb is 40:06 set in march 14 so only a little quicker, nice hamster wheeling .

GDMOH nice bit of pace so 17 weeks should see you in great shape 

GULDOLPH nice bit of easy running leave it to 2017 to pick the pace up

6 recovery miles