Sub 3h15

Comments

• It was really only a few seconds, but one second too long is too long in a portaloo image esp being tall and with no room to move. 

3 maras in a year? Lightweight!

• Poacher - That's impressive! Well done and I enjoyed your report.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

3:23 off very little marathon-focussed training (apart from the 5 other marathonsimage) is pretty impressive Poacher

I may have second thoughts about using a Portaloo in a future marathon ...

A half marathon before the end of the year would be nice (I've just read the New York qualification rules) but there doesn't seem to be any ...

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Excellent racing and keeping your cool under the circumstances, Poacher.  Presumably this is what happens when you do 6 marathons a year? image

• Great report poacher and a solid run. A couple of club mates had photos of medals and beers and they were both impressive.

• Great stuff PMBC - as entertaining as ever!

6.3 miles this morning for me - a good combination of hilly bits, on and off road - a bit surprised to do it 30s faster than the same route last week. image

• Lets see that medal Poacher! I thought my Conwy half medal was massive, but it's only 227g. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

brilliant on many levels, Poacher !

"It would take another 5 yrs to get to 100 - can I be a**ed?"  

of course you can  . . . . .

• Impressive running and and great report Poacherimage

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great stuff , Poacher. A mate has done that one a couple of times so I know how tough it can be. That's a great time for that event and considering you're not fully cooked.

My Boston campaign began last night with a 6 miler in the dark. Avg 6.48 pace with all miles sub-7. A healthy start. One run down, around 82 to go!

GD

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Nicely done Poacher - excellent report, and I would think there's every chance you'll get to the ton in the next 5 years!

Swift reps from OO, and a very solid opening run for GD as well; if that was without noticeable effort, you're definitely heading in the right direction.

GM's sub-19 5k is impressive, as is Leslie's pavement 10k PB. Good running chaps!

KR - no experience of a 3 run a week mara schedule, but given your background and mileage, I would have thought you'll be able to get into decent shape from that?

Week 2 of P&D ended with 13 miles on Sunday, and week 3 kicked off with 4 easy miles yesterday. Squeezing all this week's runs into the first 5 days of the week to leave me run-free over Christmas Eve & Day to do the full festive entertaining thing, so another 36 miles to cover in the next 4 days...

• KR - Poacher is the man to speak to about running marathons with as little training as possible!
    Poacher - great report and a very impressive result all in all. You're not allowed to stop before 100 now!
    OO - good track session.
    GD - looking good already.
    Abbers - I'm sure you can manage that in 4 days. I've only got 26 miles in 11 days to do - would have liked a few more, but Christmas prep is catching up with me!

• PMBC  great report and if anyone can reach 100 mara's you can especially as you no longer need to train just roll up at the start image being a prisoner during a race though is maybe a first even for you image

SN00w53 nice reps speed.

GDmoh good start to a fast campaign

Abbers a busy few days there 

KR if poacher can do it with no training days 3 should be ample although it may not be fun on the day !

frosty this morn so had some cnba so far image

• Got out at lunchtime, 7.5 miles at 7:15 pace. I always reckon when I can do 7.5 at 7.5 easy then I am in good form so today was faster but maybe not totally easy but definitely in the right park.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

since the 2 x 17 milers with my daughter (last was 17 days ago) just plodded along with no double digit run (longest 9), but she's back in town tomorrow, so we have 18 planned for Thurs. 

This morning's 6 brought up 985 miles in my old Asics, so just 15 more and they can be retired  . . . .

how's the youngster, MsE

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - you're relatively high mileage (especially compared to me!) so a few easier days might just see you firing on all cylinders in the new year.

Leslie - frosty mornings are the best for running! image

PMJ - very solid run.

Birch - that's a lot of miles in a single pair. I very rarely get above 600-650, but then I'm probably a bit harder on my footwear than some on here!

8 at lunch with 4 tempo. Aiming at 7mm, came out at 6:59 average, so got that about right.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Nice tempo session Abbers - I have one planned for Friday but the forecast is for strong wind so I may be tempted by the treadmill option

Nothing wrong with plodding along Birch

A good turn of pace PMJ

Leslie - you need to put on the man-suit and get out thereimage

Enjoying the afternoon sunshine here in Bucks with a steady 11 miles at 7:45 m/m pace.  Very strange weather but great for the trainingimage

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Birch wrote (see)

since the 2 x 17 milers with my daughter (last was 17 days ago) just plodded along with no double digit run (longest 9), but she's back in town tomorrow, so we have 18 planned for Thurs. 

This morning's 6 brought up 985 miles in my old Asics, so just 15 more and they can be retired  . . . .

how's the youngster, MsE

Thanks for asking, Birch. He saw the physio today after icing, taking ibuprofen and immobilising for 48 hours.  The ultra sound showed he had strained a different set of ligaments this time (the acromioclavicular ligament) so he obviously took the impact from above and knocked his collar bone out of place before it pinged back.  Pain and mobility not as bad as previously - he can write and use his hand - but the more it happens, the less stable it is.  And he loves his rugby so I foresee surgery when he is fully grown perhaps (melodramatic perhaps but the empirical evidence points to surgical intervention to prevent recurrence)?  He has aspirations to take it far and seems to have some talent.  But I guess we take it one day at a time when injury intervenes.  Sigh.  Injuries schminjuries.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

PMJ - you are nicely honed at the moment. How is the PF?

Abbers - good tempo session!

SBD - comeback is coming along nicely.  How did the 11 @7:45 feel?  Easy? Steady?

Just an easy 6 miles today @8:41/mi followed by a further 1.55 mi with MsEtte4 who greeted me at the door after the first run.  She was all kitted out ready to go and had me running with drills (high knees, butt kicks, skipping, grapevine) and playing fartlek style games.  Much more fun than the usual running I do! image

• ChristMsE wrote (see)

PMJ - you are nicely honed at the moment. How is the PF?

PF has gone, thank you. It is odd, comes and immobilizes me for a day or so and goes, or comes in a milder form for a week or so. Seems odd and I almost wish for the worse form as it goes quicker.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    ChristMsE wrote (see)

SBD - comeback is coming along nicely.  How did the 11 @7:45 feel?  Easy? Steady?

Just an easy 6 miles today @8:41/mi followed by a further 1.55 mi with MsEtte4 who greeted me at the door after the first run.  She was all kitted out ready to go and had me running with drills (high knees, butt kicks, skipping, grapevine) and playing fartlek style games.  Much more fun than the usual running I do! image

It sounds like MsEtte4 has the right approach to running.

It was a steady 11 miles, starting at 8:20 m/m and gradually increasing to 7:15 m/m.  The legs were quite keen to move up a few more gears towards the end but caution is the name of the game at the momentimage

I've had the occasional tightness in the PFs but thankfully it's never got so bad to require rest.  Hopefully you can keep this at bay PMJ.

• Birch good shoe mileage you must be light on your feet image 

Abbers Id say that as close to perfect pacing as you can get

SBD good paced 11 , mansuit was deployed for 6 easy yesterday evening and 8m this morn though the rain lashing the windows at 4am nearly made me stay in bed.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I tend to have 5-6 pairs of shoes on the go, so no clue how far I go with n each pair. More than most I suspect. Hard throwing out the old ones.
  • PMJ - good benchmark.
    Birch - retiring shoes at 1000 miles. I'm sure you could squeeze a few more out of them!
    Abbers - nice tempo run.
    SBD - good steady 11 miler - enjoy the sunshine while you can!
    MsE - must be frustrating for your son. I might regret this, but what are grapevine drills?
    OO - only 6? Lightweight! I have 8 pairs of road shoes on the go plus one pair of trail shoes. The oldest have clocked up around 1400 now and hoping to reach 1500 before they totally disintegrate. (Did I say my dad was a Yorkshireman?)
    Still no running here...

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Gul - "The oldest have clocked up around 1400 now and hoping to reach 1500 before they totally disintegrate. (Did I say my dad was a Yorkshireman?) "  don't put ideas into my head  . . . although I am a Yorkshireman image

Leslie - "you must be light on your feet" - sadly no - more the "lumbering biffer" style . .

• Birch - next time you race, try Gul's tip for being light on the feet - it simply involves leaving your timing chip in the clubhouse, thus becoming 10gm lighter image

(Sorry Gul couldn't resist the cheap shot. image  You are welcome to smack me down again in 2017 in return)

MsE - good luck to the young one. What BTW is grapevine?

Might nip out into the murk for a few recovery miles. Might also try to sneak in a NYE mara. Pass needed.

• Go for it PMBC! It'll just be 10 miles through the mud on NYE for me.  image

Fingers crossed MsEsq recovers quickly. 

Managed an interval session on Tuesday, followed by a rest day yesterday and 6.5 miles along the Tyne this morning finishing on the Millennium bridge. It was definitely a faster final few miles than the last time I was here. 

• Poacher - NYE mara! See, you've definitely not given up on 100. How about the Spring Shakespeare for a smackdownimage
    Lorenzo - Must have brought back a few memories.
    Now that the carols have been and gone there's just the small matter of buying and wrapping presents, but I did finally manage to fit in a run this morning. 10 slow miles d&d. 16 to go.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SBD - nice steady run there. Hope the weather allows you to get out for that tempo without any issues; always preferable to running on the dreadmill!

MsE - sorry to hear about the lad. On the bright side, it's not a recurrence of exactly the same problem, so he may be OK long term. Love the game, but I've seen some horrible injuries happen to other players in matches I've been involved in (not to mention a fair few stitches myself). It's a hard sport; but then you can get hurt doing anything.

Leslie - well done on getting out and getting it done!

Gul - 8 pairs?!?! I'd never be allowed to get away with that! Leaving the present shopping a little late?

Poacher - grapevining is running sideways alternating between crossing one leg in front of/behind the other. Good for hip mobility I'm told! Sneaking in a NYE marathon? So casual!

Some solid running from Lorenzo there.

4 recovery yesterday, 10 steady today at 7:49 pace. Bringing the weekend longer run of 14 forward to early(ish) tomorrow, then that's me done until Boxing Day so free to host over Christmas weekend. Last day at work today too image

• On the subject of shoes I need to get a new pair, I have got 2 pairs of the same make and now wearing the left shoe from one and the right from the other. (Surprisingly there is no Yorkshire in me Birch).

Good luck for the 18 miler Birch

Good progressive 11 mile SBD.

Nice 10 miler Abbers, good plan to bring the long run forward. Will do the same but on Saturday morning.

I've found a 3 day a week mara plan and it's pretty intense!