Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

KR - Are you doing Manchester again?  Just add 3 recovery day runs to the 3-day plan and it will be fineimage 

Abbers - Good steady miles

How slow are the slow miles Gul?

A good mixture of runs Lorenzo - I'm planning  to stay away from intervals until March 2017!

The NYE marathon plan sounds pretty crazy Poacher - is the challenge to cross the finish line at midnight?

Almost ran 14 miles yesterday afternoon until I remembered the schedule only called for 13.  Legs a bit weary but otherwise feeling comfortable.  Just about to head off for 6 recovery on the treadmill.

I'm planning to do the scheduled Sunday 18 mile LR on Saturday - although it may depend on how the Friday tempo session goesimage

• Options

Not that the sights are set low, but listening to Marathon Talk in the car today I was ridiculously, tragically pleased to be in last place on the podium.image Not been a great 2016.

Actually there are quite a few marathons between Xmas and NY. NYE always has a choice -  Liverpool, Newcastle etc, + the Flitch Way in Essex (prone to ice and cruciate-wrecking injuries).

KR you need to research your family tree, the ancestors were clearly Yorkies.

Nice commitment SBD - very impressive. You will be ridiculously fast in 2017 at this rate.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

mission accomplished - 18 miles with daughter this morn (pretty hilly) - she chose the route ! 

• Options

Good 18 birch. I normally try and do a 20 before Christmas but just can't get the consistency in to make it worth while this year: the 20 was always the cap of a progression from 13, 14, 15 etc upwards and it seems a bit hollow to do a 20 just for the sake of it.

• Options

Abbers - Christmas shopping done now, thankfully. If I could buy everything at the 24 hour supermarket I would have finished ages ago! Good steady run. Hope you enjoy the MLR today, last day at work and have a good Christmas.
    KR - uneven wear and tear on the shoes? I don't like the sound of a 3 day plan!
    SBD - you should have carried on and made it your long run! Yesterday's 10 miler averaged 8:47 m/m - most of my runs seem to be around 9:00 m/m at the moment.
    Poacher - Isn't last place on the podium otherwise known as 3rd?!
    Birch - another LR in the bag and a hilly one to boot.
    PMJ - not many long runs here since the Norfolk Coastal. Just 1x18 and 1x20.
    9 mile progressive run today - or rather 8 miles from 8:43 to 6:28 and 8:12 to warm-down. 7 to go...

• Options

Poacher on the podium again image

SKR I saw a 3 day plan for sub 3 on the web and it was seriously hardcore image

SBD long run after tempo may hurt a tad 

Birch nice 18 with company 

PMJ mojo a bit lacking ?

Gul speedy progression ,I do like a nice progression run image

Bit stormy and I'm well overdue  a rest day anyway as ran the last 12 days so no clicks here !

• Options

The commonest 3 day plan (Furman) is actually rather hard, with some tough paces and a need for extensive cross training so in fact not much time is saved.  Anyone who can go sub-3 on that plan deserves un tres grand chapeau.  

Another strategy to save time and protect the body from wear and tear is to run more often, but short and fast. For those who already have plenty of miles & maras under their belt, this could work (it did for me).

Merry Christmas to all...

• Options

On one of my shoes the mesh split from the sole - a defo sign I need to get new ones!

Thanks for pointing me towards that one Poacher. The cross training does defaet the pint of only doing 3 sessiona week, I might as well run 5 times like I did before. I did get some advice from Martin H (the purple fairy) who is now a personal trainer and he's talked about using a resistance band for some home exercises which I will pursue.

• Options
    Festive greetings from Paris. I've had an annoying head cold since last weekend but went out for my 1st run since the 5k 10 days ago. We're in a fab location, my sister's house is 1 min from the tow path on the river Seine. Did 12k at 4:10km pace. That certainly blew a few cob webs away. It's perfect running weather, about 10c and no wind and I hope to get a few more runs like that in before we leave.
  • Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SBD - ticking along very nicely.

Birch - good run to get in the bag.

Gul - good work on both running and shopping fronts. Some good pace at the end too.

Leslie - sounds like a well deserved day with your feet up.

KR - I seem to recall Martin getting very quick at this mara lark. Hope the personal training is working out for him.

GM - sounds a lovely location and perfect for running! Good pace there.

So this week's P&D schedule said 40 with a longest run of 14, so that's what I've done, just squeezed into the first 5 days of the week. Given last weekend's running too, that's 58 miles in 7 days which is a lot for me. Not surprised the legs were grumbling a bit by the end! Have a very happy Christmas everyone - enjoy your festivities!

• Options

Perfect location too GM, enjoy the rest of your stay and more runs like that!

Too mileage in 7 days Abbers

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Abbers - you are loading the miles up.  Enjoy the break!

Great pace for your 12K.  Have a lovely time in Paris, Gerry.  It is where I met, MrE and has a special place in my heart.

KR - those 3 day plans were really designed for triathletes and, as has been pointed out, needs cake baking in some shape or form.  You may as well do what you used to do, especially as it is more time efficient and you don't need to get your hair wet either!

Lovely LR from you and your daughter, Birch.  Very sweet you let her choose the route despite being the rookie! It could have ended up in tears....

Looking like the comeback continues to go well for you SBD.

I am ticking over here. Most effort is being put into this gig on Sunday! image 6 in the hills today with the dog.  90-105 mins scheduled tomorrow.  I will play it safe and treat it as a pure time on feet effort getting the soft tissue used to the mileage.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hola 3:15ers!

Checking in to wish you all a Merry Christmas and had a read back. 

Poacher - image bike accident (although my police friend would tell me there's no such thing as an accident). I hope you're ok.  I have to say it took me a couple of years to get over mine and despite buying a flash new bike last spring I still can't get either my confidence or enjoyment back.   

I may see you on the Town Moor on 31st...... 

I am determined to make a comeback in 2017.  I was told in September that my tibia needed another 6 months before it would be fully healed and I have started some road runs and its not hurting.  I need to take it very canny though, I don't want another setback.  

I did a trail/fell marathon (28.5 miles) with over 6000ft climb in November (in the snow) and really loved it.  Took it easy and managed a sprint finish with lots left in the tank, which was nice. image  I think this is probably the future for me.  

• Options

Leslie - hope you enjoyed the rest.
    GM - shame about the cold. Hope you enjoy your time in Paris.
    Abbers - good work with the P&D.
    MsE - nicely ticking over.
    Minni - good to hear from you and to know you're on the mend.
    Mission accomplished today with 7 slow-ish miles (8:32m/m). Still time for a few more next week, but that's me done for a couple of days. Have a peaceful Christmas everyone. I finished Lore of Running yesterday just in time for a new book hopefully! 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Always great to hear from Minni- and will see you either at Town Moor or Coastal if you go next year.

Enjoy Croissy Gerry- very fond memories.

Mammoth day starts badly. Sainsbury failed to deliver the turkey we ordered 2 months ago image Should spend less on advertising and more on Management.

Windy parkrun in 19:02- last serious run of the year. Then we will drive to London this evening for a few days in Greenwich.

Year end target of 2251 looking tough with 6 running days and 40 miles to go.

Merry Christmas all. Enjoyed you Company this last year image 

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sounds like an exciting time ahead, Minni.  Looking forward to hearing more of your exploits.

Well done on completing a mammoth read, Gul.  Plus the early 7 miler at nice easy  pace.

Hope you can find a suitable replacement turkey, OO.  That  isn't the first turkey story I have heard along those lines.  It's not like the 25th comes as a great surprise to the supermarkets now, is it?  Nice parkrunning.  Have a safe trip up to that London town.

An easy 14 for me at a sprightly 7:39 min/mi. (I think because I was without dog and took the nice soft Downslink that is an out and back loop which also means I don't need to tread too carefully as it is fairly level).  Saw a chap who had taken a tumble on the way back.  Plenty of people had stopped to look after him while waiting for the ambulance.  We do live in a compassionate society thankfully.  Be safe everyone and have a wonderful Christmas time!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

for various reasons, this isn't my favourite time of year;  nevertheless, a sincere Merry Christmas to you all  image

• Options

Fingers crossed on the turkey hunt SnOOw - very disappointing to hear that you've been so let down. What have they offered by way of apology? 

Minni -  good to hear you're back and running.  Have you seen this Ultra: http://ratrace.com/ute/

Very pleasant undulating 10 mile run in the Howardian Hills yesterday morning and York parkrun this morning.  Weather forecast wasn't looking too bad yesterday evening so I wasn't expecting the hailstones just before the start and the downpour, wind and cold temperatures during the run. Suffice to say it was probably the worst set of conditions I've done a parkrun in,  so was pretty pleased with 19:38. 

Will hopefully head out first thing tomorrow - we're up at the outlaws for Xmas this year so I don't need to do any planning around the day's events. 

A very merry Xmas to all on the thread - thanks for all the support,  encouragement and general banter over the last 12 months. 

• Options

Minni welcome back and glad you are making a comeback in 2017 image

ChristMsE nice steady 14 

Sn00w53 I hope you can get a bird sorted in time 

Birch bah humbug sorry I mean merry Christmas image

Lorenz Hohoho Nice parkrun in bad conditions.

12m today at 7:38 m/mile did think about a hard tempo but it was looking a bit windy at the start so didn't bother although it turned out fine weather wise after being stormy earlier.I did see santa out running today and he looking like he was getting it really tough up the hill on my way back and then mrs Claus going into Tesco's later image

Don't think I will get a run pass for tomorrow  image so that's 41m done for a cutback week after 6 weeks of 60-70 mile 

Merry Christmas to All image

• Options
    Merry Christmas to everyone. Chilling here in Croissy waiting for my brother to arrive. Spent a fab day in the city today. It was surprisingly quiet compared to other big cities I've been to on Xmas eve. My sister used to live in London and I remember the chaos of Xmas eve there it still gives me nightmares. No Turkey here, we're having seafood and a Capon. Hope you got sorted OO. Hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow wherever you are and whatever you're doing.
  • Options

Abbers, yes Martin has got his Mara time down to 2.44 and the personal training us going well. I designed and built his website and he does quite a regular blog on it.

MsE I would love to be able to run 5/6 days a week like I did, but Mrs KR wasn't happy about it hence the 3 day plan. Not sure how it will go but I love training and running marathons so it's a compromise on both sides. Nice 14 miler.

Good to see you on the road to recovery Minni

Nice park run and yearly total OO.

A decent time in those etreme conditions there Lorenzo

Nice 12 miler there Leslie

Good timing on finishing the book Gul, did you drop enough hints on a new one ?

16 miles this morning with 2 at end at Mara pace. Looking forward to the break off work and spending time at home. Merry Xmas to all threadsters, enjoy the break!

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Enjoy the seafood GM!

Well done everyone on getting those long runs in early. I ticked off today's 15 mile run this afternoon after a treadmill tempo session (6K effort in 14K) yesterday evening.  As suggested - tempo session followed by long run equals sore legs!  Struggling a bit towards the end but good to get the miles in.  Hopefully, I'll get chance for a 6 mile recovery run tomorrow before the turkey challenge ..,

Merry Christmas Everyone - May the Running Force be with youimage 

• Options

What about lunch breaks KR? Can you not sneak a few short runs in there? Not always possible I know, I can't do it where I am. Well, not unless I give up eating.

• Options

Looks like you are getting in some good sessions SBD.

A good suggestion Speedy, but unfortunately I have to go home 3 days a week in my lunch hour to walk my dog, which only leaves Wednesday and Friday, which are always manic. There might be a window of opportunity on a Friday for a run or weights session, but will have to see how that pans out. Technically I could do it, but Saturday mornings will be a hard session. The main thing for me is a the 3 key sessions per week, anything else is a brucey bonus image

• Options
    Hello all!

Quick pop in to wish all a fantastic Xmas break and a productive running New Year!

Keep at it folks
  • Options

SKR Mrs Kr needs a good talking too so get those negotiations underway image

Gerry hope you enjoy the holiday.

SBD what is your mara pb you were quick were you not ,I see your name against a 2:49 for vlm in 2011 at the start of this thread ?

CC2 welcome back how are you getting on ?

Slokey hows the hip ?

6 easy after a rest day and reached my goal  total of 1900m this morn can't make 2000 this year !

• Options
    Hi Leslie

Hip not great I'm afraid (hence the absence).

My running has been severely curtailed - nothing on the road, struggling on the tready - just a smattering in the muddy woods.

Bike is going well though.

I'm pretty sure that 2017 will be my last year with any running in it at all.

Have a few events lined up to have as a finale and then hanging up my trainers.

Anyway, that's not very xmas cheery is it!?

On the positive side I'll be donning a GB age group vest for the ITU world swim/bike champs in Canada and again for the European iron distance champs in Holland. Looking forward to that image

Have a great new year everybody!!
  • Options

parkrun Christmas Eve, 19.xx on a slippy course. Day off yesterday but out early for the next few days while the family sleeps. 7 odd at a shade under 8 m/m pace but there were miles at 9:46 and 9:39 and also a few in the low 7.xx to balance them out.

Not many targets left for 2016: I have done 2,224 so that will be my second best recorded year but the best is over 2,300 which won't get beaten. My "longest shortest month" (so the month in the year I ran the least) so far is 127 miles from August 2011and for 2016 December is currently my lowest total at 124 so a few more miles to move that bar up.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

What about early mornings, KR?  (adds to chorus of those wishing to see you doing what you enjoy)  When my kids were tiny I was out and back before the first was up which avoided any ill-feeling in the household.  It is why we ended up getting a dog to keep me safe when I was in the middle of Richmond Park and padding the streets on my own in the dark.

Good news on the GB vest, SJ although not so much on the hip.

Anyway, am in mourning. First David Bowie, Prince and then Rick Parfitt and now George Michael. image

A sluggish 10 miler @8:20min/mi which I shall put down to Christmas eating and being upset about losing a childhood icon.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Leslies christmas craic wrote (see)

SBD what is your mara pb you were quick were you not ,I see your name against a 2:49 for vlm in 2011 at the start of this thread ?

A PB of 2:58, but this was in 2010!  I was in good shape for VLM 2011 (I was targeting 2:49) but inflamed the ankle tendons on the left foot 4 weeks out and couldn't run until the day itself.  If the body holds out I'd quite like another sub 3:00image

10 miles on boxing day is good MsE.

A steady 9 miles from me today with some strides.

Need to start booking some pre-marathon races before they fill up. I'd like to do Wokingham HM but Watford HM fits in with the schedule better.  Anyone doing either of these?