Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul you have definitely got a fast mara in you ,as for overdoing it that could be my running mantra image

MsE nice fast finish 16 , My goal is to to get as close to a 3hr mara as possible.

PMJ good parkrun and yes round up the numbers ,no halves allowed 

G dawg cracking year .

Lorenz sounds like fun apart from the wading though freezing cold water .

10.5m after nightshift at 7:24 average ,4 steady then 4 at 6:50 .

1950m in 10 days 21 hrs 39min 44 secs at average 7.5 mph (8min/mile)

lowest months jan 70m and feb 69m  and highest 286m in Dec 

• Lorenzo - please please tell us those shorts shrank in all the cold water...
    Leslie - you are quick for someone who's had a big injury layoff - very impressive
    CC - here's hoping 2016 will be better
    Gul - great miles and there is a much faster marathon in there sometime soon if you pick the right course and time of year
    MsE - Manchester is uncomplicated and pretty flat, and it can't possibly be as big a c**k-up as 2016
    PMJ - great consistency as ever
    GD - good PBs on limited miles - knocking on the sub3 door?
    Abbers - have a skinful tonight, P&D won't mind

• Been delaying an end of year summary until now as I sneaked in mara #7 of 2016 today at the Winter Wonder Run on Newcastle Town Moor. Ridiculously windy! Didn't push it and 3.46 is a solid training run. Total 56 maras + 13 ultras = 69 big ones. Starting to think that maybe 100 is doable if I CBA. Looking down the list, there have been very few road maras in the last couple of years and lots of trail/off road events. Today brings up 215m for the month and exactly 1600m for the year, but in truth it's been very mediocre. Must have been at least 350m on that stupid sweaty African treadmill, yuk. 

Highlights: renewed GFA & BQ times without actually doing any LRs.
    Best races: Ashbourne HM, Hoad Hill mara, and enjoyed Hull too.
    Frustration: tried to quit running to become a cyclist and ended up in A&E. Still no bike, and insurance delays which may end in court, plus the ugly facial injury hasn't fully healed. image Perhaps I could play a Klingon in the next Star Trek film.

As ever it's been fun to share the banter and admire some great efforts and achievements by posters here, plus saying hallo in person to Gul at White Peak, OO in Hull, and several more at VLM.

Have a fab 2017.

• Poacher - to be honest, the shorts weren't the only thing that shrank in the freezing water!! image

A windy marathon in Newcastle on New Year's Eve sounds a tough undertaking. Look forward to catching up again in Chandos, or perhaps seeing you on the big screen. 100 marathons has got to be a good target to go after.

Agree with your advice PMJ - I stopped analysing my running to the nth degree a couple of years ago and apart from intervals, I really just use my Garmin to record the distance / time for each run. That said, I'm going to go with a slightly lower mileage and more effort on the speedwork type plan for the 12 weeks in the run up to VLM.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sad news but a fitting tribute, GDawg.

Well done on the Brutal, Lorenzo.  Rather you than me....!  And yes, more speedwork should do the trick.  Then see if you can hit some target marker race times and training times.  A sub-85 HM and some av 7:30 min/mi (or less) 20 milers and you should be fine.  You only need to run 6:50s which is not far off what you are doing anyway.

Your sub-3 should come easily Leslie.  Here's keeping fingers crossed you get there in 2017!

Good to see some fire in that belly for reaching your centenary, Poacher.  Am gobsmacked that you should still be wrangling with the driver about your bike damage.  Hope you get your payment soon.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Well done on marathon+ number 69 Poacher - you have to go for the century and you'll need at least 1 track marathon and 1 treadmill marathon to get a good miximage

Well done on the Park Runs (PMJ) and Long Runs (Leslie, Abbers, GD and MsE).  I'm not sure the Brutal maps on to any the P&D definitions Lorenzo image

A fitting tribute GD and a tragic incident.

Some big totals being posted for the year. 2,650 is huge Gul - you just need to focus on the quality in the next few months and a fast marathon is yours for the taking.

Long run for me today, switched back from tomorrow.  18 miles scheduled, which given the furthest I've been in the last few months is 16, seemed like a challenge but as it's the last running day of the year I fancied 20 instead.  The legs played along with the plan, feeling reasonably comfortable at an average 7:37 m/m.  Good to get the first 20 ticked off ahead of schedule and gives me 73 miles for the week if I include tomorrow's recovery run.  Just need to stay clear of the injuries and bag a good couple months of trainingimage

May the running Gods look kindly on everyone in 2017.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

1846 total for the year.
    Lacklustre year after a very good 2015. Only one race , a 10K (45.02, 74%WAVA), and some parkrunning.  Need to start racing again, really  . . . . .
    Still, the total averages 35 mpw, which isn't hard to achieve, so on course for my goal of 65,000 miles by age 65   - 32 months @ 133 per month will get the job done, but hope to accomplish before the date  . . . 

nice to wave bye-bye to 2016 with the mara, Poacher - top man  . . .

great miles by many, but a particular well done to Gul - would love you to nail the mara you deserve . . .

Happy New Year everyone ! 

• G-Dawg - That is tragic but as MsE said, a fitting tribute! You had a breakthrough year IN 2016 but I expect 2017 will be even better. 

Poacher - Wowzers, another one. The thought of you quitting running baffles me. You've had some good runs this year off very little prep. I hope you get that bike business sorted soonest. 

PMJ - A great way to end the year with a very good parkrun. That must have yielded a decent WAVA? 

Gul - Monster mileage for 2016 and delighted for you that you had such a great year. Onwards and upwards for 2017.

OO - You set the bar high and have run some very races this year. I hope 2017 will be another year full of fast times for you and will be watching keenly to see how Junior OO progresses. 

Abbers - 2017 will be a good one for you too. That mara pb will be smashed, I'm certain of it and a sub 90 half to follow too. 

Leslie - You have been knocking  out some very impressive miles and paces to boot. I look forward to seeing you run fast and strong in 2017.

MsE - Nice run there! Yes I adore my Seb, I am blessed, he is a lovely human being and such a fun wee person to be around. I'm looking forward to seeing how you go in Manchester in 2017. 

Lorenzo - You've had a great year and hopefully 2017 will be even better. 

Speedy - I echo your sentiment re driving, it's such a bore! I'm lucky here and hardly ever have to drive anywhere but have done some long ones over the years. It's been a tough year for you and it will be great to see you back doing what you love in 2017 and up there where you belong with the really speedy ladies again. 

I had a skinful of ale and wine last night catching up with a close friend and opted out of the new year's eve mile hill climb. It would have near killed me had I run it but I spectated and my mate's record is still in tact after a very brave attempt from a talented local 17 year old. Was lovely seeing some faces I haven't seen in a while. I went out late afternoon for a 10k along the promenade and it was too cold to have an easy one as I had planned but 7:12mm wasn't too difficult even with a touch on vineyard flu. image Happy new year to you all and lets do it all again and more next year. 

• Happy new year to all, I hope you all gain your running goals this year. Good to see some good runs being done over the festive period, always tough this time of year.

Shame about the hip Sloakey.

Some good running Leslie

Great last mile pace MsE. Monday and Fridays early mornings might be an option for an extra run, but it depends on work and schools runs and how intense this schedule gets. I'm hoping to slot in a Wednesday night recovery run now with my lads football training - #windowofopportunity

Managed a few good runs so far this Xmas , with 16 on Xmas eve with 2 miles @ mp, then 10 with 4 @ mp on Tuesday and 5 x yasso 800's on Thursday. Went out today and did another 16 miler with a park run at mp after 10 miles. Felt a bit knackered after relentless socializing and a few late nights and food and drink. Hopefully back to normal next week.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Happy new year everyone (whispers it quietly).  

You are running really strong, SBD.  Great long run and weekly mileage there.  I think I will be at just 57 or so after my morning jog today but I am hoping to reach 60-70 this cycle.

Birch, like OO, I think you put yourself down in terms of what you achieve. I suspect with a running history as long as yours it feels lacklustre when in context but I am always impressed by what you achieve.

Nice pacey 10K, Gerry.

Now this is more like it, KR image.  I am the Queen of finding windows of opportunity and it sounds like there is indeed scope to find small windows here and there for easy aerobic runs to slot into your week.  Running MP miles is a good sign of commitment.  What is goal pace this time?

While the household sleeps, I am up with the puppy contemplating my running goals.  After a truncated year of running due to studying, I am most looking forward to focusing on an uninterrupted block of running (keeps fingers crossed the injury gods are smiling)image.  My goals are probably: (1) To see if I can PB at the marathon and anything else along the way (2) To try qualify for a GB Masters AG vest in April.  I know the latter is a bit of a swizz like the GB AG triathlon qualifiers, in that it involves simply turning up on the right day at the right race to get a top 3 or whatever spot, but it would still be fun to manage it. 

On another note, apart from PMJ and Speedy, I am not linked to many of you on Strava.  At the risk of seeming  too forward, want to connect? image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Would love to see you on Strava MsE (it's Greg Penn, Tyne and Wear)

That's a great total PMJ and always good to finish the year on a high with a cracking parkrun. I was marshaling yesterday and great to see all levels pushing for their goals. Got a bit annoyed waiting for the back markers though, a pair  who walked round with their dog. Seems a bit selfish making al the volunteers wait while they take a stroll 10 mins behind everybody.

Sad news GD, hate to hear stories like that but sounds like it's galvanized the club.

Very pleasing total Lorenzo and a good year all round- suspect we'll be very close at VLM this year- I also expect to cut the miles a bit this year for VLM training.

You've had a very tough year Speedy and running can take a back seat at such times. 2017 can only be better and I hope you find good reason (at least a few races) to come North.

Poacher you sneaky old dog. I had no idea about that marathon. Doubt I would have done it but you never know. Looking forward to share a couple of maras and other races with you in 2017- hopefully on your way to the 100. Something I'll never achieve.

11k race later today will report back!

• parkrun double today. Met up with a group at Upton Court parkrun at 8 am with the intent of a lazy 4 to Black Park for a 9 am start but a friend appeared and said he was doing a scenic 6 so I said I'd go with him and it turned out to be closer to 7 and a bit on the sharp side. 7 minutes recovery then off, and just outside 20 minutes (20:02) for the first parkrun, then the return run (this time the direct route) and about 20 minutes for the legs to go to cardboard before off again for parkrun #2 and just outside 21 minutes (21:06). At the start I'd have taken 20 and 21 (in fact I'd have taken a pair of 21s) and adding the longer warm up I am very happy with the outing and 17 miles done. 

Definitely need to do some speed work: yesterday 19:21 was full out, today 20 was well within me and 21 felt slow, so clearly have the endurance but no top end. 

• Poacher nice to sneak in a last mara for the year ,that's you up to 7 long runs now which is more than enough mara training.

SBD cracking 20m.

Birch 65,000 mile would be an amazing target ,wonder if that's more than Ron hill ? image

Gerry vineyard flu is very contagious at this time of year !

SKR if you want the race times you will find the time to run, just do it image !

MSE a GB vest is quite something to aim for image I hope sub 3 is as easy as you say ,don't have the speed yet but will be working on it with 2 half mara's booked last night for 18th march and 1st april to see where I am at.No strava here yet I'm afraid image

0053 looking forward to the race report.

PMJ cracking double parkrun /long run combo,a great start to 2017.

6 easy giving me 62m for the week.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Leslie - "65,000 mile would be an amazing target ,wonder if that's more than Ron Hill"

- not even halfway !  a quick google revealed the great man had logged 160,000 by Dec 2014   -  

btw, excellent week's total for this time of year, Leslie . . . .

overcame a bit of post celebration foggy-headedness to record the first 6 miles of 2017 this aft'n  - just not the done thing to record a zero on the 1st Jan ! 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hello, thread, and Happy New Year.  Sorry I have been AWOL.  Life has been busy, but in a good way, so nothing to worry about.

2775 miles for the year.  No PBs (except possibly at 5M, albeit slower than 10k pace, IIRC). 

May 2017 bring us all health and happiness - and if there are PBs as well, so much the better!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Welcome back Jools glad to hear all goes well- I think your tally must be the highest on the thread- mighty impressive.

Morpeth 11k was a nice start to the year with 41:05 which is about 1 minute below my best time but better than last year by 40 seconds. The course climbs 89 meters in the first half so I averaged around 6:30 per mile on the way out but then long strait descents on the way back with a fastest mile of  5:43. Also caught one of my big rivals and 1st lady on the run in, to finish 23rd in a quality field. Sadly just out of the prizes, but still a good run on tough and breezy course.

• Happy New Year all! Hopefully I'll be here more regularly from now on. Hideous weather here today so both parkruns were soggy affairs. The first was also in a gale (top of a hill, very exposed) and the second was a mudfest. And to think we do this for fun! 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - That's a very decent run that, sounds like you finished very strong. Well done.

Jools - Good to hear from you and glad all is well. That's a very impressive annual total for 2016. Is it your highest annual total? 

Birch - A good start to the year. I read somewhere once that Ron Hill runs everyday. 

Speedy - Nice parkrun double in yucky conditions. You have to be a bit bonkers to be a dedicated runner.

Leslie - Good start to year also.

PMJ - That's impressive running on 1 Jan.

KR - Good running, getting those MP runs in is good going.

SBD - Excellent 20 miler! 

MsE - Nice targets. You are more than capable of both with some more free time to focus on training this year you'll fly! I'm not on strava but should really have a look and see what it's all about. 

I couldn't face a morning run as I had a late one but I went out tonight and did an easy 45 mins in cold windy conditions. Quite unpleasant really but as Birch said not great to card a zero 1 Jan. 

• Hi Folks. Happy New Year!

I came back in very unsuccessful fashion a while back (fell of the boards again!). Life has been in overdrive for me this past year and just barely keeping the balls in the air (but managing it!).

I took today off after a strong December push (246 miles). I realized I could hit 2600 at the start of December and chased that goal. Final 2016 stats: 2608 miles. That's a record for me (2350 my previous best). I consider it a miracle considering my battles with kidney stones, having lower back issues, and an insane work schedule. Battled strong at Boston in the spring, did my best in a fall marathon with what was still duck taped together post kidney stone surgeries (plural!), and even managed a PR in a hilly 25K. Hard to complain as I avoided major injury and crossed the big one off my list.

Will try to get back in here more often but unfortunately 2017 looks to keep on in the same fashion that 2016 ended.

Great to see that 2016 was good to so many of you. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2017!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Happy |New Year!

Some great annual stats, Gang. Brilliant!

2017 is off and 'running. 10 miles at 7.03 pace.Legs felt tired as early campaign fatigue takes hold but that will soon pass once they get used to the continual bashing. Also need to lose a couple of Christmas pounds. Amazing how quick it piles on in just 10 days and that's with running sessions too! image

Onward!

GD

• Birch you won't catch Ron then but he didn't have to work like the rest of us ! start as you mean to go on image

Jools cracking mileage and nice new year wishes image

0053 nice new year racing,5:43 is shifting image

CC2 don't be a stranger ,the 3:15 thread isn't just for Christmas you know image

Gerry the runs done so all good and I hope I can nail some pb's in 2017 

VTR you did well despite those setbacks ,well done.

Gdawg nice speedy start ,imagine how fat we would be if we didn't run image

14.5m at 7:11m/mile average mostly steady paced with 3 harder ones to finish.

• Happy New Year to one and all - hope 2017 has started well.

It clearly has for some, with a cracking performance from OO at Morpeth and speedy training runs from G-Dawg and Leslie.

Good to see you on here again Speedy - fingers crossed that 2017 is better for you than last year.

Good to hear from Jools as well - hope life hasn't been too busy. Clearly not so busy that you haven't been able to fit the miles in - great annual total.

MsE - on a very dull topic, how did you manage to change your name back? The RW website won't let me change back to Lorenzo as it says that someone has already got it, but I presume that's me! Has anyone else had any problems?

Back to running, I did manage to card a zero yesterday, unless I can count a 1K light jog to pick the car up after the night before. I was in charge of cooking a Persian dish for 13 for lunch yesterday so I think I would have scored nul points if I'd have popped out for anything longer. Made up for it a bit this morning with an 8 miler before all the house guests woke up.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Fantastic annual totals from VTR and Jools; no secret to your respective successes!

Impressive pace on decent length runs from GD and Leslie; both running strongly at the moment.

And OO racing already! Good result too.

Week 5 of P&D began today with 9 including 5@HMP which came out at 6:49 average, so happy with that. Back to work tomorrow after a relaxing 11 days off, which is going to be a bit of a shock to the system!
  • Lorenzo somebody must have taken it while you changed it so you may have to settle for summit else close to it ,the cheeky fecker ! unless its some technical issue but mine changed back ok image

Abbers nice bit of half mara pace, bet that hurt a bit ! image

• Indeed there is a Lorenzo, http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/lorenzo

Send the cheeky rascal a message and see if it comes back to you!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Welcome back Joolska

Super stats VTR given your medical issues - you are a strong fella

Good racing OO.  The Winter Wonder Runs are a series of timed events rather than conventional races. You do as many 3.75m laps of the Town Moor as you want, 7 is a mara. Can be used as a catered training run or, as there is chip timing, measured course, ARC permit and published results, these runs "count" as a proper mara.  A nice sociable no frills NEMC event, but all are welcome. There are 3 more this winter - see NEMC website for details. I would do another this month but will on that  s**ding treadie again image

First outing of 2017 today - 4.4m recovery run on the beach. Chuffing cold and chuffing windy. 

Lorenzo it will be a Christmas party every day in your house... image

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Steeling a threadster's name - outrageous!

Pacey MLRs from Leslie and G-Dawg.

Good to see Lorenzo and Gerry avoiding the new year Zero.

Excellent racing from OO at Morpeth - that must equate to a pretty good flat 10K time.

My P&D schedule is aligned with yours today Abbers (I'm running one day ahead until after this weekend when I'll revert back to plan)! So it was 15K with a middle 8K tempo for me.  I thought I'd give it a go on the track.  Struggled to push the heart rate as high as required but the pace for the tempo section came out at 6:30 m/m.  Pretty pleased with that pace for this stage of the campaignimage

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Good to hear from Jools and VTr.  Hope to hear more from you both!

Nice MLRs from Leslie and GDawg, who aren't exactly hanging around.

OO - excellent result especially in beating your nemesis (a woman! image)

Your beach run sounds beautiful, Poacher.  Photos please?

That is a great pace already, SBD. Not sure if I have 8K of tempo in me yet.  Am happy enough to throw down the odd 6:30 mile for now.

NYD saw me fitting in an easy 6 miles of urban running and a further 8 on the trails today.  I like switching it up to save my joints but I do have to tread carefully with it being so muddy in winter as I have the most pathetic ankle now.  It is a cutback week for me with a 10 mile race at the end of it.  I haven't raced 10 miles before so it will be a PB but not a quick one as it is partly on trails.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good to see you avoided the zero on NYD, Gerard ;   Lorenzo,  according to the Birch rule, a recorded run has to be minimum 1 mile image  - although from memory Ron's minimum may have been 0.5 mile - I recall he hopped a couple of laps of the track once when injured (!)  -  so maybe you could claim to have run on NYD image

good to hear from Speedy & Jools again, also VTr - great fortitude shown in 2016, VT

good starts to the year from many, inc GD, Leslie, SBD, MsE  .

another steady 6 here today - beautiful frost & sun after yesterday's gloom.  

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 for me today at a sedate 8.21. Looks like I didn't get the 6 mile memoimage