Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Weather is just bad luck, what matters is that you held it together and got through miles of cramp/pain to finish. Throwing up isn't fun but it shows that you left nothing out there. It'll make you stronger and even more ready to cash in on a cooler day. Good effort.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It was definitely not marathon weather today, AbbersSounds like you gave it your all in tough conditions.

Course pb at the road relays yesterday and plod tasting 20 miler today.
  • LvSDLvSD ✭✭
    Hi all

Have been off air for a bit - tripped training a fortnight ago and injured my shoulder, four days off then training gingerly. Recovered enough to run Brighton today, a bit sore to start with and over the course of the race the rest of my body caught up with the soreness.

Ran 3.15, was happy with that under the circs. Oddly the the results seem to have my net (by my watch just under 3.15) and gun time (just over) wrong way round, which is unusual (and also impossible you'd have thought for net to be slower). But no worries unless they change the GFA from 3.20 to 3.15 for my age group.

Overall though job done, no GFA pressure at London . My daughter also ran, albeit with a cold so a lot slower. TBH well done to the slower runners, pretty brutal conditions to be out for a longer time.

Hope all well, condolences for anyone who suffered in the heat

Cheers
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good going in the heat LvSsD and nice to have you back.

Abbers that's a shame but conditions were against you. Once you go like that time is irrelevant.

BB- racing today seems very unwise I hope you thought better of it.

I had a flyer at Blyth 10k with a new vet PB of 36:24. Conditions were perfect- I like it warm- but the vest stayed on. 1st mile 5:40, the next 4 around 5:50 then 5:57 last mile. I caught junior after a mile and she finished a minute back. Still, she was 3rd lady in a quality field and our ladies team were 1st so boosting her winnings. I was 2nd V50. The 1st was only 3 secs ahead and I was closing him down, but no complaints as he is normally well ahead.  These are good signs for the mara. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Abbers - Sorry to hear you had a tough outing. The heat can be a killer for some. Well done for finishing though and I'm sure your next one will be a lot better.

OO - Your recent 5k times suggested you would run a fast time and you certainly did. Well done to you and our daughter and as you say....bodes well for London. I like the heat too but not when racing anything over 10k. 

LvSD - Welcome back and well run today. Great to bag the GFA.

Jools - Nice relaying, things seem to be improving for you just in the nick time. No harm in a 20 plod. 

SBD - You haven't checked in for a while. I hope you're ok? 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Les – Great weekly mileage. Thanks for the wise words of advice, you are 100% right. Thankfully, my wife gave similar advice and I didn’t run at all today. I’m disappointed with the DNS but feeling better tonight. Hopefully, I’ll be fully recovered in a day or two.

GM – Glad to read your enjoying your beach running and thanks for the good advice

Abbers – Feck, sorry it didn’t go well for you today. Well done on making it to the end in a decent time. My 2nd marathon took me 3:48, so you beat me!

Jools – Nice course pb and LR banked

LvSD – Congrats on the GFA after the injury

OO – Wow, that’s an awesome performance! Well done sir! 

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    LvSD - that's a cracking time in any conditions, especially today. You have my respect!

OO, GM - I like the heat, plenty of exposure through the cricket season, just too much over the marathon. Great running from you OO - super speedy.

BB - thanks, just wasn't to be today. I'm reconcilled with it, rather than bitter I missed my time. Didn't end up in an ambulance like many others, so can't grumble!

Poacher - thanks for the comments. Means a lot to get empathy from complete strangers! :)

Jools - good combined weekend from you. Mara targets?

Hope ssc and SBD are ok...

Recovered now, big roast for dinner at a cracking little bistro and a couple of ales have seen me right :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Abbers - You have a very positive outlook which is great. Sounds like a great end to the day. I too hope there weren't any serious casualties from today. 
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    Just a quick check in for me as am having a long weekend with the family. 3:15:27 think I've missed hfs (am 41) by those 28 seconds but conditions took their toll. Was with pacer to mile 23 when had to stop after getting gum on trainers and then cramp kicked in ! Somehow held 745 pace through last mile but had to walk in that and just couldn't get to the line.Has made me want to go for an autumn marathon to hit the time- any suggestions?

Abbers - well done. A tough day at the office 
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    Weird predictive text - should read gfa 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That is very tough ssc but a heroic effort.

BB always best to listen to the missus ;) you'll be back soon enough and the short rest might do you good.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie - great 74 for the week  . . .

Abbers - well toughed out in the last 5 horror show ; you live to fight another day - and always good to restore yourself with food & ale . . . .

Jools - good weekend's work - the relay hopefully a good indicator of form at the right time . . .

OO - superb stuff from you & junior - well done (likewise for keeping the vest on) :)

LvSD - good mara running for you and your daughter in the tough conditions

Badbark - Wise decision - (M)adbark no more  . . . .

ssc - hard luck if you have just missed GFA - maybe Chester, Abingdon, Nottingham for autumn?  

Gerard - yes, I did say 16 was the new long run, but our route would have given me 16.5 to my door, so had to add the extra half mile on  . . .  rest yesterday, next Road League 5 miler on Wed evening . .   

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, OO: I know you typically do well over shorter stuff, but that is seriously impressive.

ssc: if you're prepared to travel, Frankfurt is fast, flat and well-organised.  Ran my first sub 3 there in 2013 and first sub 2.55 in 2014, so many happy memories!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - sorry to hear you're under the weather. Hope you make a super speedy recovery.
    Leslie - another quality week of mileage.
    GM - sounds like you had a good weekend.
    Abbers - gutted for you. It's really cruel to have something like that outside of your control spoil the day. Well done on toughing it out.
    Jools - well done on the PB.
    LvSD - well done bagging the GFA.
    OO - congats on the PB too - you are flying at the moment.
    ssc - great effort. So unlucky to miss out by such a small margin. That would have easily been a GFA on a better day.
    13 mile MLR this morning. 6 miles @ 8:31 m/m HR 143, 7 miles @ 7:33 m/m HR 175. Max HR was supposedly 223 - one of these days I'll have to get myself a reliable HRM!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, I actually ran 4 secs quicker on the same course back in 2013, so it obviously suits me. But I wasn't V50 then, so I'll take it as a V50 PB. It also came at the end of a 59 mile week. Definitely time to taper.

3.5 mile recovery skip/run today with Nordic poles. Looks like I caught the last of the sun... 

• Thanks for the welcome everyone, I'll take it all on board. And you're right <b>Poacher</b>, when I'm out running I think of the people I met on the ward and I am thankful that I am here running at all. I think of the money I'm raising too :)
  • <strong>MsE</strong> - thanks too. I'll take your advice. No more than 10 miles these last 2 weeks...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Abbers well toughed out on a cooler day it would have been a different story ,extra bonus points for puking at the finish ,top effort ! I can only imagine the carnage a hot day would bring !
    LvSD well ran and a gfa in the bag too .
    0054 as MSe says you SANDBAGGER ,what a cracking time ! SUB 3 at London and no messing !
    Jools nice course pb you are back in shape .
    SSC so close to a GFA you would have had that easy on a cooler day .
    Birch a fine 17m which is more than 16 so all good.
    Gul if you are using HR than a reliable monitor would be good yes ,I have been unable to exceed 190 bpm  and I've been trying lately ! nice quality 13m.
    Ste_Barrett welcome and that's the spirit ,enjoy your race you have come though a lot just to toe the line .
    13.5m at 7:08 average.

3 easy ,2 steady(7:30) then into 7m very hard all around 6:20 m/mile then 1.5 easy to finish. Was struggling to get to even the steady pace at the start but then a few strides and I got the hammer down .Glad that one's over !!!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Ssc - that's still a seriously good effort in yesterday's conditions. Understand your frustration though. Autumn should a stormer after another cycle of mara training.

Birch - thanks, and hope you go well in the league race midweek. Flatter course than last time?

Gul - good MLR from you. Can't legislate for injury/cramp, as you say.

STE - yours is a remarkable story. More power to you.

Leslie - thanks; I always think puking is a sign of maximum effort! Ypu're going well, as usual. 

So Achilles is fat, swollen, stiff and very sore today. Limping around like a fool, and not planning on running for 2 weeks to try and settle it down. Need to be able to walk properly though - heading to the Lakes on Friday for a week.
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    I'm looking to do my my 2nd marathon next year and to try to scrape a GFA as a vet40.  

My first went pretty well apart from a calf niggle and finished in 3.25 with a 1 minute negative split and felt strong at the end.  I used the London marathon advanced training plan for first one and was wondering if I should use it again but just move the training times to get a better time? 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - some finish!
    Abbers - hope your Achilles eases off today. Going to the Lakes and not being able to walk would be torture!
    MrSoft - welcome to the thread. Good debut with a 3:25. I'm not familiar with that training plan, so maybe you could give us a few details? Might be that more miles rather than faster training will give you the result you're looking for. If it's not till next year, that would give plenty of time to build up slowly.
    11 mega-plod miles this morning (9:23m/m!)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO - great effort, no plans to smack down against you in the near future
    ssc - another great effort. Abingdon is pretty flat and a likely place for an autumn PB - it does fill up so worth seeing if there are places.
    SJ - thanks for the shorts advice. In fact a fella walked into the pub the other night dressed in Rapha from head to toe.  Eye wateringly expensive, the togs probably cost more than the bike.  Lucky lycra is stretchy as he downed several pints before wobbling off into the sunset.
    Mr S - good debut, you might just need a few % more miles and another few months of consistency in the legs in order to convert.
    Birch - all this talk of scaling back doesn't convince us - plenty of competitive spirit left

50m bike for me on Sun, when you are cycling through a wind farm you know it's fairly lumpy. Fabulous views of Lindisfarne and the Northumberland coast though.  Still debating what to do in London as the old joints are still feeling the Manchester effort.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Mr Soft - Buy this, read it and follow. You'll acheive your goal :)https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/0736074600

I happy to say I'm back running again after illness. 10 slow miles managed, but it was hard work.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Abbers rest easy your work is done (for now)
    Mrsoft 3:25 for a first suggest your plan was working just fine ,P&D as suggested above gets results but the higher mileage schedules in it are really tough .I'm doing the 70-85m one  adjusted for shiftwork.
    Gul they all count !
    Poacher nice casual 50m on the bike 
    Badbark easy is all you need this week to help recovery.
    16.5m ground out today at 7:51m/mile slow at the start then mostly steady at 7:40 with a few  hills thrown in,not ideal after yesterdays hard run but back to work tomorrow so had to be today.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    6 miles with some strides for me.

Abbers: rest! But you knew that.

MrS: I agree with the P&D recommendation.  Took me from 3.19 to 2.49 (over a number of years, I hasten to add!).

Badbark: easy does it.  Glad the lurgy/discomfort has gone.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Mrsoft - similar to you, I ran 3:27 in my debut mara on the Runner's World training schedules, and then moved to the P&D up to 55mpw schedule for my recently completed Brighton campaign (as per BB's link). Pretty sure it got me aerobically fit enough to achieve my goals, but circumstances on the day derailed me. Whichever schedule you follow though, just backing up one campaign with another (assuming you stay injury free) should give you notable fitness benefits.

Gul - definitely need to be able to walk from Saturday onwards! No point going if not... :) Nice double figure effort from you.

Poacher - you've done enough maras now to know what you may (or may not) be capable of on the day. I'm sure you'll make the right decision based on the way you feel and conditions.

BB - good to see you back at it.

Leslie - that's a very solid run. Good work.

Walking with slightly less of a limp today...

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Birch - thanks for sharing your planning earlier.  I see you have a good long term focus which helps steer your weekly schedule.  This is what I lack because without that long term A goal, I don't also have a medium (or short) term goal of any description.  I need to think about what I want and try to achieve it as I don't know when I will be having surgery.  Perhaps some short distance speed....

BB - glad you are sounding better now. It is good to see you being sensible.  You've only got the one body so you may as well treat it well!

Excellent weekly mileage last week once more, Leslie.  And a great paced MLR.  Were the 6:20s meant to be at your HMP?  I do like the Pfitz plans as they flow so nicely when you get to grips with them and those midweek MLRs really do boost the aerobic engine beautifully.  

Some more nice easy quick paced runs from you, Gerard.  Your lifestyle down there sounds rather idyllic.  You'd better watch out as you will have us all traipsing down to darken your doors if you keep describing it as you do!

Bl**dy hell, Abbers.  You must have made a Herculean effort to get that second half done. Considering the heat was enough to make a lot of people stop, to have pulled a 3:39 with the tetchy Achilles is a major achievement.  Glad to hear you are philosophical about the whole experience.  I have trained for so many races only to DNS for various reasons I have realised there is only so much you can control and you just have to accept the variables that come into play that stop you getting the result you want.  That is when you move onto the next one.  For now, baby that Achilles as you don't want it to become chronic.  

3:15 is an excellent result, LvSD!  Huge congratulations on a great time in such warm conditions.  Well done to your daughter who sounds like she finished strong too.  I really really hope some of my kids end up loving running as much as I do so we can train and obsess together.

OO - you are flying at the moment. Well done on the 10K time! I still think that with your nice and gently LRs and speedy short runs you can beat that 2:58. No pressure but you know I am so disappointed to not have a chance to better that time this year and would be absolutely delighted if someone could do it so I could experience it viciously...  ;)

ssc - huge congrats on 3:15 in the heat of the Brighton sun on Sunday.  Lots of autumn marathons to choose from.  Local or abroad?  Big city or small club?

Good to see you back at the miles, Gul.  That HRM would be in the bin if it belonged to me and a new one winging its way to me via Amazon Prime.

ste_ I am looking forward to tracking you and seeing you enjoy your first marathon.  Are you doing lots of core work and conditioning stuff too?  That is useful.  I thought I was quite strong when I did my first marathon with weekly bootcamp and pilates sessions but it is a whole new level of strength to keep your form for 3 hours or thereabouts.

Welcome, MrSoft! 3:25 is a great first time and the negative split suggests you ran it very well.  I really like the Pfitz plans (3:15, 2:58) and have tried Hanson's (3:12) and a McMillan plan (3:07 with a ruptured ankle ligament) too. I like them all as they bring in more MLRs into the weekly mix.  I think the main thing is to be consistent so go for the plan which fits in best with your lifestyle.  This guide is quite good to compare the approaches if you are interested:  http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

Nice to see you back at it, Jools.  Keeping fingers crossed your achilles settles down.  Mine has really held me back since I first started training for marathons in 2011 and been the reason I have had to keep stopping.  Of course now I have had to rein it all in because of this ruptured ankle ligament, both achilles are in SUPER shape!  :D

Lots of daily vinyasa yoga, pilates (work that belly and bum!) and short runs for me.  I did do a 10 miler at a gentle 8:30 pace on Sunday but generally am keeping them short as it seems to suit the ankle better.  I did a TM session with 45 seconds fast 45 seconds rec yesterday and then a pool workout today (the beauty of these being you can do them on consecutive days if you like!), that was 6 x 2:30 w/30 secs rec.  I am tempted to see if daily pool workouts mixed in with modest land-based workouts and conditioning work get you super fit. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    MsE you have the insight on my Strava. I'm lazy all week but with decent mileage. Then I run fast at the weekend when I race. Most of my time pals struggle to grasp how that works, and so do I. But from bitter experience the  fast short stuff does not translate to marathon PBs. Would love to put to bed your demons and mine, but honestly my only goal is to sneak under 3:00. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    OO - I have a friend in NY who is the same. Lots of slow miles and then fast short races.  I am trying to channel her vibe more because I have decided there is nothing to be gained from running my aerobic runs at the sharper end of the range when the same training gains are to be had (in theory) from running them in the lower end of the range, thereby saving my soft tissue.  Anyway, I believe in you.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

MSE yes 6:20's are my HMP effort and that's the sort of shape Id need to be be in on race day but not quite there yet ! Nice to see you up to 10m again with all your other activities too.

Abbers you will be right in no time again.

8 early recovery ones for me at 8:40 pace.