Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Do you enjoy running in the heat? It's due to hit mid to high 20's here later in the week. I like running in those temps but nothing too fast. I've got quite dark skin for an Irishman so it doesn't bother me but there were a lot of very burnt people about today. I ran sans singlet in the heat of the heat of the day yesterday and didn't get burnt at all. 

Gul - Nice 12 and a good pace for the last 9. You do rack up those double digit runs. I'm not quite there yet but next month hope to be doing plenty of mid week MLR's. 

8 recovery miles this evening followed by a 20 min ice bath in the sea. The water is starting to warm up now and won't be good for that sort of thing soon but that just means I can start swimming in it. :) 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gerard I have the same heat resistance and tan well due to my Italian genes. Not sure I have the same resistance to cold water though...

Ran a decent 7 miles last night on the beach with a few pacey bits. I'm not feeling too confident for my 10k tomorrow but hopefully can get in the 37:XXs    

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - I'll bin my plan to run behind a 6ft clock then ;)
    Leslie - touché! Nice recovery run.
    GM - that's the way to have an ice bath!
    OO - all the best for your 10k tomorrow.
    14 miles this morning (2M w/u and 12M @ 7:52m/m). Headed out of town and along some farm tracks to Bawsey Ruins (a 12th century church) and then on to do a lap of Bawsey Lakes/Sandpits before returning home. Quite undulating in places which is a rarity for me!
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    MsE - Kinvaras (sorry 3 pages ago!); I've never tried the 4s, I picked up the 7's last year when I went into Accelerate in Sheffield and asked them to provide me with some magic bullets that would definitely make me run faster. They very patiently explained that these don't exist (dammit!), but did question why I was using heavily cushioned control shoes when I didn't need them, and brought out some other possible shoes. The Kinvaras were an obvious buy for me, they were very light and the amount of noise less that I was making running on the treadmill was very noticeable. So far, the 7's have been very good for me - I also bought a pair of 8's which I used for London, and I couldn't honestly say I noticed a lot of difference, but I'll probably keep on buying the 8's from now on. Only problem I've got with them is that the tread wears out quickly, I can get down to zero tread within 350 miles (though the shoes are still good to 500+) - guess I must land hard!
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hi all, good to see some excellent running continuing from many of you, and MsE with her feet up!

Haven't been around for a bit as sulking at the continued absence of being able to run post-Brighton with Achilles issues. 6 weeks and counting, and no running also means no cricket, so doubly frustrating! Cycling, swimming, rowing and the elliptical trainer just aren't the same. I'm still dropping in to catch up all your antics though, so hopefully I'll be able to get the trainers on again later in the summer and look to an autumn HM as a comeback target.

GM - glad to hear the sea is warming up - heading over to your sister island on Saturday for a week's family holiday, and very much looking forward to it! Haven't been to Guernsey for a while.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Leslie - not quite up to a 20mile swim I'm afraid - have done an 11.4miler but that was enough.  Race coming up in a couple of weeks is a SwimRun race around Windermere so more running than swimming (although I would prefer it the other way round!).
    Hope the water warms up a bit it's still Baltic.

Poacher - I'm training for the Tour du Mont Blanc in July which is a similar distance to Vattenrundan but a tad hillier hence the big bike mileage. Well done on the first century ride
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Post cut off again  :/
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Poacher - you're right about the fuelling being key to getting round - you should practice drafting / riding in a group too. This can make all the difference and is also great fun!

Abbers - hope you recover quickly - you're right, the other stuff just isn't the same .......
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0054 hope that op goes better this time for you , cracking target goodluck .
    Gerard I don't mind as long as i'm running slow in the heat makes a great change to all the baltic months in the winter in the driving rain , hail and cold wind ! I burn very easy like most locals though so need the factor 50 ,especially after Badbark getting a skin scare if I'm out for a long run.
    Gul another good 14m in the run bank.
    Andylid we are all looking for that wonder drug .
    Abbers hope you can get of the run bench soon.
    Slokey 11.4m swim still sounds a  hell of lot .

6m with strides after I got up from nights.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Abbers - That sucks re your achilles. I hope it gets mended soon. I hope you get some nice weather for your trip to Guernsey. It's normally a couple of degrees cooler than here but fingers crossed for you. 

OO - I blame the Spanish Armada for mine! It's funny when I go on holiday to Spain I always get mistaken for a local even by the locals! Luckily my Spanish is ok. :) Good luck for your race. 

Leslie - Yes it's wise to protect your skin especially when out on a LR. 

SJ - When you say Baltic I presume it's below 10c?? Sea temp is 13.6c here at the mo and I went in again tonight and it actually felt warm. 

Gul - Nice MLR and a nice change too. 

Andy - I had the Kinvara 4's and 5's. I liked them but prefer my Adidas Boston Boosts. I find them a great shoe for all the distances. 

So, another test of a run tonight. 2.5 miles w/up to get to where I wanted to be (albeit I took the scenic route along the coast to avoid traffic and work commuters) followed by 6 miles @ HMP and then 1 mile w/d followed by another dip in the sea. I ran solo tonight and found the 6 miles hard but not killer hard. It was 3 miles out and back along the promenade. There was a moderate headwind going out and I tried to focus on a decent effort without pushing too hard. By mile 2 I was considering chucking in the towel as I was finding it harder than it should have felt but I just ground out the 3 miles into the wind knowing it would feel easier on the way back. Splits were 6:52, 6:52, 6:48, 6:42, 6:36 & 6:36. Not the numbers I wanted to see but sometimes we runners can get to caught up just on the numbers. I'm telling myself that I put a good effort in and completed the session. That will be my last "long" HMP session now and next week I'll try get in some shorter faster reps in attempt to sharpen the race blade. :) No idea what HMP will be but I'll find out soon I guess. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I can never run that fast solo Gerard- so great effort.

Sorry to hear about your problems Abbers- late summer 1/2 M looks like a good plan.

I had a pre-race rest day yesterday. Race is at 7pm tonight. Daughter no.2 is also going to run. Last outing before my Op tomorrow and a few weeks rest.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I love the idea of cooling off in the sea after a run, sounds great, especially in this weather.

Plenty of runners talking about running in 20 degree temps and how warm it is. I'm taking great delight in stating my Boston marathon was 26 degrees.  :D

Slowest run for ages last night. a shade under 7 miles at 7.50 pace. Went out with 2 pals from the club. None of us fancied the track intervals, there's a good session tomorrow night, so opted for a trail run instead.

Great fun just having a laugh and going at easy pace. I get caught up in the numbers sometimes (well, mostly :o  ) and running with others slows me down and I still get a quality session from it.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    GerardM said:

MsE - Hehe, if only, my place is tiny, a small cottage but it would be fab if you or anyone else from the thread made it over here.  :)
    7.5 miles this afternoon in the heat of the day, 7:15mm average although I did start off quite slow for the 1st few miles. Felt a bit hard today. I think I was a bit dehydrated and under-fueled. My son had a football tournament late morning and afternoon and I didn't eat much and just drank coffee, so that would probably explain why. It's looking like it's going to get really hot this week, I have a few free days, so I will be out running and hopefully in the sea too for some recovery. 

I think the first visit should include me, PMJ and SJ (with our respective small families).  We promise not to take up all the space in your cottage.  ;)   Your solo run sounds like a good effort and I agree it doesn't benefit to focus too much on the numbers in that situation.  Tapered with a race number and crowds around you will be much quicker.

Running without proper hydration has a massive effect on performance.  Dehydration in itself is terrible but add to that a warmer climate and you are doubling up the stress on the body.  Look after yourself!  (Starting with ice bath/swims post run sounds an excellent idea)

SJ - good to hear you are still keeping busy and finding ways to not aggravate the hip.  Your cycling sounds really strong.  I can't even imagine biking 150 miles!

OO - good luck (a) with the 10K and (b) the op. (shuffles along to make temporary space on the bench).

Poacher - 104 miles? (thud). You and SJ obviously have a much kinder saddle than I do on my steed.  And good for the woman riding her horse down the A6.  She is just going Back To Basics to a time when only horses went up and down there after all.

Lorenzo - not long now. Let me know your plans for the day and I will try come out to cheer you on.

PMJ - very interesting point about the sub-2 effort.  It does seem possible now with the right setting, although I suspect it won't seem such an achievement away from the usual big city major environment we are so used to.

Gul - apologies for getting blisters confused.  Too many potential toes on this thread to mix up.  Some decent solid running from you.  Great stuff.  Super consistency now and it looks like the niggle is in the past.

Andy - I am not so sure it is your running style as the poor last is a complaint many had with earlier Kinvara models. It sounds like they still haven't quite worked out how to resolve it.  It's a shame as it doesn't come cheap and is one reason why I ended up looking elsewhere.

Abbers - sorry to hear of your continued achilles troubles.  Do you feel as if you are slowly coming out of it at least? Inactivity is as bad for it as too much so finding the right level for you that gets the blood flowing to the tendon is crucial for recovery.  Nothing else quite hits the spot like running though  - you have my sympathies.

Leslie - good effort after your nights.  How many hours sleep do you manage following a night shift? I watched a programme about a chap who did shifts and his sleep was really not very long at all. After getting in from work in the morning, sinking a beer (!), he only got about 4 hours' sleep before getting up to help with family duties. 

GD - trail run sounds lovely.  You should do more of that to slow yourself down and give your body a rest from pounding (and banish any niggles).

More pilates here.  There are numerous variations of hurt-ankle-on-the-floor workouts and I seem to have found them all.  Another two weeks of partial weight bearing and then I can start to incorporate yoga into my daily routine.  In the meantime, the leg continues to wither away:

It is well grim, as MsEsq would say.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Abbers - hope the Achilles is better soon.
    SJ - 11.4 mile swim sounds very tough. I think I would die after 1.
    GM - great effort. I'm sure you'll be even faster than that on the day.
    OO - have a blast tonight. Hope the op goes well.
    GD - 7:50m/m is still not particularly slow!
    MsE - I'm sure you'll soon be building it up again.
    10 easy miles this morning (avg. pace 8:19m/m).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to post gruesome pictures of my hand next week, whilst sharing the bench with MsE :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wow, MsE! You can really see the difference in the legs.  :o
    Your first run will be just one big circle!  ;)
  • MsE said:
    GerardM said:

MsE - Hehe, if only, my place is tiny, a small cottage but it would be fab if you or anyone else from the thread made it over here.  :)

I think the first visit should include me, PMJ and SJ (with our respective small families).  We promise not to take up all the space in your cottage.  ;)  

Good idea! Can they bring boyfriends/girlfriends as well? I've had to book a cottage that sleeps 11 for our summer trip to Cornwall so we get 5 double beds, then they say "tell you what, you don't have to cook every night, we'll book a table out for dinner" which is fine but I get to pick up the tab. 

Hot run at lunchtime, using the GPS as a map so no idea of pace. First 5 miles in 38:13 (average 7:38) and then next 5 miles in 36:18 (7:15 average). Quite happy with that as the first half felt very easy and the second half only got ugly for the last mile and it appears the 7:02 9th mile was maybe a bit swift. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    37:49 at tonight's 10k. Decent effort and good enough for 1st v50.
    Seeyou all on the other side :(
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard nice half reps sub 90 easily .
    Gdawg nice to have a relaxing run every once in a while where you can chat.
    MSE on nights a try for 8hrs  after the first night , then 7.5, then 7 then around 6 to try to get back into dayshift mode again. but often I'm back up at 2am for a snack the day after due to insomnia. I was wakened twice yesterday (11am and 2pm) by the postman and once today at 11am which really messes up my sleep.It will take many months to get leg strength and size back I found ,still don't think my quad is as big on the right and may never be.
    Gul another double digit run your flyin'
    0054 looking forward to scissor hands pics ! That's a cracking 10k time.
    PMJ making a bit of a comeback too.

3rd nightshift and I decided I was having a 5k race anyway before work to see whats in the tank !

Buncrana 5k ,7:30pm start and 18c but very nice conditions.

18:17 official time for a big 1 minute pb that will do nicely ! (5:57 average which is my  1 mile pb pace ) hr average 183 max 192 bpm.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO good luck with the op - if you'd care to delay full recovery until after July 23, that would be nice.

Been up the eyeballs lately and failed to register that my niece Poachette was actually competing at the Night of the 10000m PBs. She duly PB'd with 35:XX for 5th place in the women's B race after having led for a while, so she must have been lapping the slower runners. Not a bad effort for someone coming back from injury and not having raced on the track for years. I really ought to go and watch next time. OO it's a small world, maybe she has met your daughter somewhere along the line.

PMJ - just stay at home and spend the holiday period tearing up vast quantities of £20 notes - it'll end up cheaper. 

Leslie - you are still cooking - get out and rack up a range of PBs while the form and fitness are there.

GM very nice numbers 

MsE - track racing i.e. round and round in circles, should suit you from now on. See if Lorenzo can turn up and hand out refreshments at the end of every lap. 

SJ - that is a heck of a race with mammoth climbs. Might be rather hot in the Alps in summer too.  

No running here, and yes the 104m was bike not foot. I have an old 100m PB of 19 1/2hrs but certainly not in that sort of condition these days. I did actually overtake someone the other day which is a rarity...saw a fella in front on an expensive Italian race bike, made an effort to catch up...stopped at traffic lights to say hallo, he must have been well into his 70s and said it was his first outing since a hip replacement. Long way to go before I am any good at this.  :'(
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE/PMJ - Nah, ditch the kids and other halves, come over and lets party!!!!!!  :D

OO - Great 10k time and top of the V50 podium. I hope the op goes well.

Leslie - Proper fast 5k time! Should be another big pb coming soon too. :) Thanks, the minimum target is 89 mins. Btw, the run wasn't reps per se, it was a 6 mile run at HMP. So a decent test of speed endurance at a manageable effort for that distance. 

Poacher - Your niece is quite good! 

• OO54 said:
    37:49 at tonight's 10k. Decent effort and good enough for 1st v50.
    Seeyou all on the other side :(
    I'd kill for a sub 19 5k at the moment yet alone two back to back. More than solid.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    PMJ - nice lunchtime run in the heat.
    "I've had to book a cottage that sleeps 11 for our summer trip to Cornwall so we get 5 double beds, then they say 'tell you what, you don't have to cook every night, we'll book a table out for dinner' which is fine but I get to pick up the tab." It's the thought that counts ;)
    OO - cracking 10k - well done on the win.
    Leslie - wow, that's a massive PB for a 5k. Excellent stuff.
    Poacher -congrats to your niece. That's an amazing 10k time. Keep up with those 100 mile bike rides and you'll be flying too.
    First interval session for ages this morning. 10 miles with 6 x 0.5 miles off 0.5 mile recoveries (set auto-lap to 0.5 miles - interval sessions on my watch are set up by duration rather than distance which I don't like). 3:12, 3:12, 3:11, 3:12, 3;03, 3:08. I was aiming for more of the 3:0x rather than 3:1x, but not too bad and I have now done 46 miles already this week.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher, that's a great 10,000m by Poachette :)  - speaking of "small world", I remember she competed in at least one, maybe more, English Schools XC as my daughter a few years back - Heaton Park comes to mind . . .  

OO - excellent time there, and nice victory - small world #2 - it is OO jnr whose name I often see heading the female section at my local parkrun ?  hope the op straightforward . .

Leslie - splendid 5k - a minute is a big PB over the distance (esp after nights) - I've said it before, but having done those shifts for years, I certainly don't miss them, but do appreciate the issues of fitting in the training

Gerard - excellent session - bodes well, I would say . . . .   

MsE - impressive diligence with the (p)rehab ;  how is MsEsq ? 

Gul - racking up the miles nicely  . . .  

unlike here - average of 32 mpw for the year so far - did manage my 3 x 1 mile in the park yesterday, but Derby Half in 10 days time looks like a definite PW . . . .
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

It’s great to read about the good training going on.

Les – Fantastic 5k PB! All your hard training is really paying off.

OO – Great 10k and vet win!

I’m running the Newry Marathon on Sunday, only 3 weeks after my fattening fun holiday. I’ve been inverse tapering, which included a 25 mile run last Saturday and a hot and hilly 10k last night! I managed the 25 miles in 3:06 and ran 39:38 at the 10k.

I’ve entered a 50k race on 10th of June which starts at 7 am. There is also a 100k starting at the same time and a marathon starting at noon. I asked the organisers could I book the marathon too, but get a refund if I decided not to run it after the 50k. They were good enough to add me to the marathon field without having to pay! 

So my plan is to race the 50k aiming for a PB (3:41), and then see how I feel. I might jog the marathon as part of training towards the 24 hour World Championships. This will also count as 2 more marathons towards my goal of 100. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Poacher said " I have an old 100m pb" ...says it all really doesn't it Lol 100miles !!! 
    Gerard I hope so,not long now its next sunday  and 89min half should be no trouble to you 
    PMJ focus man sub 19 should be well within reach !
    Gul first rep session is always going to be tough ,it takes a couple to adjust .
    Birch we will have no talk of personal worst before the race ! I think I've found a workable balance with shifts but not quite there yet.
    Madbark is back in style ! , a 50k then I might do a mara if not totally wrecked !!! Great stuff !
    Thanks all great to get some paypack on the very tough mara training ,I was will I /won't I all week about that 5k but very glad I did it now ,my pb was a full 3 years ago and I could never get near it till now ,who says mara training makes you slow ? !!!!!

5mile  recovery at 8:46 m/mile in 27 degree heat in Northern Ireland , I think we are going to melt but the heat didn't really even bother me today ,was lovely .

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, when I used to be a runner etc etc

Nice run in that heat Leslie

Birch - yes Heaton Park - very muddy - but something uplifting about seeing vast numbers of young people really into their sport and enjoying XC. You/00/Lorenzo and others have clearly passed on fast genes to the offspring but sadly I can't claim any genetic contribution to the fast lass. Aiming however, if the dates work, to pace her sister Poachette2 round her debut mara later this year which would be great.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - no sandbagging please ;)
    Badbark - suitably mad as ever and looking in fine form.
    Leslie - that's far too hot for running - well done.
    Return to the river Nar this morning and went a further 3 miles including Pentney lakes, to make a total of 9 miles out @ 8:31 and then 9 miles back @ 8:06. Very pleasant, but not so nice running up and down the A10 (on a footpath) to get there in the first place. I'll have to try the section from King's Lynn to Setchey again - it was somewhat overgrown last year.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes Birch that's Jacky Junior assuming you are in Sheffield.
    welcome back BB you do keep us entertained with your exploits.