Sub 3h15

Comments

• Great ride there poacher. I love going north in the summer and getting the 24 hours of daylight. 

Change in logic today, I have a run up and down the Thames and one bank is exposed and the other sheltered. My normal logic is to run on the sheltered bank into the wind so I get a tailwind on the exposed bank. Today the plan was exposed bank to start with so I got the shade in the second half of the run as I got progressively hotter.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good thinking, PMJ.  

I'm not enjoying the heat at all: yesterday's recovery run was in the evening, 30 degree heat, and was vile. This morning's (7am) was slightly more tolerable.

Good to hear you are progressing, MsE.  And best of luck to MrE in his half marathon training!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great to see your progression MsE, it'll not be long now.

Poacher that sounds like a once in a lifetime experience- remarkable achievement really (for a runner).

I did a track session with Junior last night (conditions much cooler here). 10*400M at around 80 seconds per lap pace. She killed me on the first few, them the old man got into his stride, then my fastest was 73 secs. We are training for an evening 10k next Tuesday, for which neither of us is in great shape. She is hoping to scrape it onto the podium, I'll be in the hunt for V50 glory, or at least top 3.

We'll also run Newcastle parkrun this weekend to see where we are at- around 18:30 for me I hope.   

Anyone else racing this weekend. Come on BB you must have a couple of marathons lined up....

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO I might put fat tyres on the bike and cycle the Coastal - only way I'm going to beat any of your family!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Fast 400's! You and Junior will run well and it could be a close one between you two after your recovery time etc.

First fast-ish paced run since the heat wave on lunch. 5k @ 6:53 pace, still quite warm at 26c but it felt considerably cooler than the 31-32c we have been having lately. Lovely dip in the sea afterwards. It's creeping up now and is 16.3c today so no longer feeling freezing just refreshing.

Poacher - My friend who is the Eliptigo rider is doing a 610k cycle event named the Pendle 600. He is doing it on his GO and there is a 40hr cut-off which he says is a tough challenge with 10,850m of ascent. Here is the link, you may know about it.  https://pendle600audax.com/route/ 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, I couldn't imagine getting close to 73s for a 400m in any weather, let alone this heat.  I think I might have managed 75 or 76 in a relay once...  Fair play, OO.  And OO junior!

Having skipped club training to go to a rehearsal last night, I tried to do a session myself this morning.  Mixture of 1 and 2 min efforts (on the basis it was already warm by 7.30am).  Pretty sluggish.  Thank goodness it's supposed to cool down from tomorrow!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    OO - great to see you racing again already! Good luck in the family snack down - you certainly still have some great speed!
    Badbark - impressive HR for a sub 3 pace mara. Love your taper plan!
    GD - you will breeze through for a sub 20 on a cooler day.
    Lorenzo - solid 5000m on a hot day.
    Poacher - sounds amazing. Well done! So will you continue to bike for most of your training now and just do the odd casual marathon for your running? Got to carry on to reach 100!
    Birch - hope you can resolve the glute issue and get back on the road soon.
    GM - enjoy cooling off in the sea. It's a bit of a trek from here to the ocean!
    MsE - impressed that you can do tempo intervals in the pool. It was an LDS wedding so didn't get to see the ceremony, but just the ring blessing at the ceremony. Shame that it was too hot to hold outside on a gazebo by a lake; we had to go in out of the sun. Main thing was that we got to meet the groom's family and they are lovely. My niece is in good hands and with lots of love and support. Gonna be hard for my sister though obviously.
    Jools - hoping it would cool down a bit here too! Some of the family flew in from Arizona where later some flights were cancelled due to the heat (118F?) About 35C here today apparently!
    No running yesterday and too late to go out now. Maybe tomorrow...?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - sounds like a good trip, the LDS wedding or what you were allowed to see of it must have been interesting.
    GM - tell your pal he is a nutcase. That's a ridiculous challenge.

Meanwhile I found this screen when charging the Garmin. Never knew it could go into 3 figures without melting (and probably never will again).  Feel like I should have carried on to 200 now. An opportunity missed.  :'(

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Poacher, definitely time to get into the modern era with a new Garmin- that's a museum piece now  ;)

Don't worry Jools I'll never get anywhere near your mara times either. The faster stuff is more my thing so I'm focusing on it this year- give or take the odd smackdown with Poacher ;)

That sounds like an idyllic lifestyle you have there Gerard-make the most of it while you can.

You seem to be having a great time Gul, when are you back to Blighty?     

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - He's off the scale and when I spoke to him about it via email his summary to me read:

"May be the ultimate challenge by ElliptiGO.  So far, the ElliptiGO record on it is zero success from one attempt, it generally being viewed as too hard to complete by ElliptiGO in 40 hours which has put people off even attempting it – surely the sign of a tough challenge.  I am relaxed about failure on it and have defined other gradations of success to avoid the crushing feeling of failure that caused the last ElliptiGO attempt to fail in a confused state of sleep deprivation.  The first target is to finish it, the second is the subjective target of completing it as quickly as a I can or as near to 40 as a I can and the final one is to do it in 40 if this proves possible. It is 610k, 10,850m+ of climbing in 40 hours – the most vert/k you get in long distance road bike events.  It is the toughest Audax UK event because the pacing is tougher for a 600 than for the longer events, the climbs are numerous, long and steep, the descents technical and slow, the roads can be poor, the weather unpredictable and often poor, limited in-event assistance and a limited number of riders to ride with. The time limit for 600 is always 40 so the level of  difficulty arises from the terrain."

Gul - Sounds like it's cooking over there. I did hear about the flight cancellations because of the extreme heat.

OO - Yes, you're right it is and I really do. I did another run after work last night followed by another dip in the ocean and just parked off on the beach afterwards to chill and then home later when it was a bit cooler to have a BBQ. Amazes how some people sit indoors or just spend their time in a pub when the weather is like this. I only go inside when I need food or liquids. I was going to sleep in the hammock outside but the Mozzies have arrived and they devour me, I wouldn't have slept well. I have to get some repellent.

Jools - It's about 10c cooler here today, so about 21c. Most people are happy but I prefer it really warm. even if my running is affected by it.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GFA entry confirmation just came through. I'll be competing as a V55 next year, and hopefully a retired one. A more leisurely schedule might be called for in London.Might have to make a proper holiday of it this time rather than dashing home after the race.
    Know what you mean Gerrard. Any kind of decent weather and the BBQ is the only option.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    MsE - thanks for the suggestion, and taking the trouble to post the link. I haven't tried pool running (it's years since I went in a swimming pool)  . . . .
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Hi folks....been absent yet again but thought I should pop in, seeing as my GFA entry has been confirmed and I do need to seriously think about getting some fitness back if I am not to make a complete fool of myself next April.  In a fit of enthusiasm I did a treadmill session this morning - 3 x 1 mile at as close to 7m/mile as I could get them, and thought I was going to die!  I am soooooo out of condition right  now!

But I came away feeling strangely elated that I actually did it, not just plodding around as I have been doing.  At this stage I think a plan to include some sort of "session" once a week, and the odd parkrun for speed work might now be in order for the next couple of months, just to try and pick things up gradually.

Distance wise I feel pretty good - my plods have at least kept my endurance at reasonable levels, and my Sunday long runs are a consistent 12-13 miles even in this heat which I don't seem to mind too much.

Will read back and post a bit more tomorrow hopefully when I have more time.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - saw nothing of the actual wedding. (Should say LDS = Latter Day Saints. It wasn't a typo!) the ring blessing was at the reception.
    OO - not tempted to go for a WAVA PB? We fly back tomorrow.
    Freemers - good to heard from you. You'll get back in racing condition in a few weeks.
    Folks are dropping like flies here, not from the heat but some sickness bug. Okay so far. Hope I don't throw up or worse on the plane! Another 3 mile jog in the "cool" of the early morning today. Now off to breakfast. And they don't have kippers for breakfast after all ;)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Freemers, you don't sound too out of shape at all. Is great to have a motivation no matter how far out.
    Take care Gul kippers a plenty awaiting you in Blighty!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Gul - And not everyone's a millionaire. :) Safe travels.

Freemers - Welcome back, you seem to be ticking over nicely.

Zero day yesterday and no running again today, too much going on at the mo. Hope to get out over the weekend. Are there are racers this w/end?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've got the Cotswold Way Relay tomorrow: glory leg for the ladies' team!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that, Jools. Ham it up to the max!  B)

I handled the hot weather perfectly this week and really advanced my running.

OK, so I did zero miles, sat on the patio, drank prosecco  and iced the ankle and massaged the lower right leg which has been giving me trouble.
    There was no reason to force myself out on a run just for the sake of the miles. 
    My Abingdon campaign starts on Monday, so I thought I would enjoy the summer-like weather and let the injury niggles have time to recover. A sort of taper going into a campaign.

As a result, the rest did me good. Ran home from work last night. 10k with the little backpack on and it was still quite warm. A couple of pace slowing pesky inclines but averaged 7.02 pace.

Then cycled the remaining mile or so home. I should have splash about in the bath rather than shower, that would have completed my evening triathlon.  :)

Have decided not to have another pop at the parkrun again tomorrow. Instead I'll seek some double figure low speed miles on the trails. I'm happy with my base fitness at the moment and in cooler conditions I woul dbe quite quick, close to PB at most distances. That makes me feel better and should ease me nicely into the new campaign.

Have a quality weekend, people!
     B) 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Tasty track session from OO and OO Jr.  

You seem to be back at the short speedy stuff, Gerard. Those post-run dips are great for recovery I bet. 

How is the achilles now, Jools?

Sounds like you enjoyed your niece's wedding, Gul.  American hospitality can be amazing.

Poacher, I don't know what is more impressive: 185 miles or the vintage GPS watch. Get a new one as a pressie for that astonishing effort.

(Waves to Freemers!)

Can't believe you are nearly onto the next cycle, GDawg.  Sounds like you are doing brilliantly listening to your body.  Looking forward to seeing how your Berlin campaign goes.

I made the terrible mistake of getting onto the scales the other day.  I have been in hiding ever since.  I suppose it was inevitable given I was immobile for 6 weeks and yet continued to eat as 50 mpw runner. But still, it's so unfair!!!

So as well as my daily pilates/yoga and strength work, I have decided I had better cycle everywhere in a bid to shed the pounds.  My ankle limits me to an hour's dog walking for now, so I will have to use the next two weeks, before term ends, cycling like a fiend before I am reduced to summertime chauffeur, housemaid and cook. I moan but they are worth it really.  Especially when they fall asleep on the floor with the dog and his stick!  I give you MsEtte3 and the (now rather large) Puppy:

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a lovely photo MsE. Walking was the best calorie burn during my short rest.
    GD glad to hear you feeling so confident ahead of your Abingdon campaign. Will you be targeting sub 3?
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Poacher big miles there.
    0054 nice to get the GFA , mine is confirmed too ,making me nervous already !
    Freemers time to dust down the trainers and get at it again.
    Gul hope you can avoid the lurgy but don't like your chances ,planes breed bugs .
    Gdawg sounds like you are in top shape.
    MSE nice pis and it's all fun and games till your clothes don't fit anymore ...
    Gerard enjoy the mini rest.

4x5 milers easy mon to thursday , rest yesterday all easy not making much progress it seems but will keep at it 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Got pleasantly lost on Chobham Common today. Have run a few trails there but explored a new part near Longcross film studios (they film Star Wars there and Call the Midwife). It's isolated by the M3 and I couldn't find a trail route across it, either over or under, so ended up in a big loop to find the same path I went over there on.

Probably ran only one mile of the 15 on tarmac, the rest was all trails. Really enjoyed it. The same distance on the roads today would have felt like a chore but trail miles go quicker yet are run slower.

15 miles at 7.54 pace and loved it!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Gdawg nice trail 15 in pleasant surroundings.

Got 10 mile done today was determined to drag the pace up for some of the middle miles , got the middle 5 at around 7:20

10m at 7:48 average , mile 1 was reported as 6:52 though but was more like 8:52 !!! as Is struggled to get going .

Got a 10 mile race on thursday already booked pre mara at least I should make it round now ...

31 mile for the week .

#backinthegame
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

I ran the EAMS ‘Schools out’ Marathon this morning. With the 24 hour race next weekend I was taking it easy, practising run/walking. Having been on a low carb/ high fat diet for a week it ended up being nicely tough. The last 10 miles felt more like the last 10 miles of a 100k race, as I seriously bonked. I managed to keep my pace around 8 m/m when running.

I finished in 3:27:42 having walked four times (all planned) for about a mile total. It was good to have to push myself mentally and gives me confidence for next week. Cotton wool time now. :)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Surprised it was a hard slog BB- will you rest up this week?

Glad you are in Leslie- exciting indeed.

Sometimes good to get lost GD.

Well I won the smackdown with junior but we both had poor parkruns. I was 19:50 same as last week. Steady 15 today at 8:27 pace brings me to 52 for the week, my highest since the marathon. Not feeling too confident for Tuesdays 10k but will give it my best.

How'd the relay go Jools?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

GDawg - that sounds like a lovely trail run, nice to just get a bit lost sometimes!

BB - nicely run/walked marathon there.  Hope the final week's preparation goes well, although I'm not sure how you can really prepare for a 24 hour event!

OO - well at least you won the smack down :)

Leslie - nice 10 miles.  Hope Thursday's race goes well

Gul - hope you had a good trip back. A bit cooler here now!

MsE - I love that photo!  I have a few along similar lines, although with husband not child.  Something like this....

Had a lovely 14 mile run yesterday, a nice breeze and slow pace (around 8.40 average), felt great!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Leslie - good to see you are slowly coming back to life again.

GDawg - v envious of your trail run.  Those are the best. I also think they do a great job of working your entire body when marathon training without the same impact and damage from road miles. 

BB - great run off a low carb diet.  How are you feeling generally for the shift in eating patterns?  I'm trying to stay off carbs (other than fruit and vegetable sources) for now as I am not running and need to shift the weight.

OO - result (of sorts)!  Great weekly mileage.  My prediction is that your poor park run will mean a fast 10K this week.

Freemers - I am in love with your dog!  So much love in the photo.

Well, having decided I needed to up my activity levels I seem to have irritated my achilles which is very swollen.  I threw in some HIIT training this weekend and I think the jumping jacks (I know, I know) might have been a bad idea given my ankle is still weak.  No wonder the achilles is grumbling.  So am backing off the impact stuff (no dog walking this week) and will stick to cycling, pool running and the usual strength stuff.  Baahhh humbug.  This comeback business is very frustrating indeed.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oh yes MsE sounds like you may have pushed too far!, though I've no idea what a jumping jack is, but assuming there is a jump involved. Hope you are right about the 10k, I'm having a rest day to try to land fresh tomorrow.

That's a seriously big dog Freemers...

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A fun but not very fast weekend's running for me: Cotswold Way Relay leg 10 on Saturday.  Could only manage 7.43m/m (really struggled with the downhills, and leg 10 has 400m of descent...) and 4th lady, whereas the last few times I've been on net uphill legs I've come first or second lady.  Still, we did sufficiently well as a team that we won the ladies' race by 29 minutes.  Our men came second in the mens' race by 11s over 103 miles!  5M on wooden legs at 9m/m yesterday.

Freemers/MsE: you both have lovely dogs!

OO: I wouldn't write off the 10k.  I'd suspect that with that on the horizon your heart simply wasn't in the parkrun.

Hayfever is particularly bad today, so not looking forward to my run tonight.  Local 5k mob match tomorrow evening (if I get back from Salisbury in time!).

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    And we're off!! Back in the campaign game with a decent hill reps session tonight. 6 hard repeats in the middle of 5 miles in total, averaging 7.24 pace. First step on the long road to Abingdon.

Sounds tough, Jools but a great result. Well played!