Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    BB - fantastic, lovely pics :)

Lorenzo - good miles, and excellent family outing at the h'cap  . . .

Leslie - time to regroup & regenerate - you'll be back !  

Gul - looking in good shape for Coastal . . . .

Gerard - nicely endured . .   hope it proves worthwhile  . . .

only on 1,065 miles ytd here - need to get my act together  . . .
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Better than nowt, GMB)

7 miles tonight, 6.47 pace, deliberately a tad slower than the 8 miles last night.
    Allowing myself to run a shade quicker at the mo but will settle down from Saturday and concentrate on MP as week two of taper looms.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - You're running fast a lot! When is yours? Abo??

Stretching, foam rolling, ice and more boredom but it's easing. More patience and a bit more torture to follow in the coming days and you never know. If I can make the start line I've though about how much fitness one could lose in 3 weeks or so. What ya reckon guys? Not worried about it really as there are much worse things going on all around the place just curious. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Not sure GM, but some may be down to the individual. In general, though, I wouldn'r expect a cliff edge drop in performance for most on this thread due to years of base building. Might be worth doing some more cycling and strength work to keep the CV systems in check and running muscles toned?

Good luck. Bloody frustrating.  :/
  • Leslie - it's very hard to accept, but take your time and you'll come back stronger in the long run. Starts as early as ever for me (except a couple of days when I overslept) 'cos I need to get in the shower before the rest of the house! 
    PMJ - same here regarding core strength etc... our new office has a gym opposite and the boss has offered to pay membership fees for any staff who want to join, so might give it a try.
    GM - I'm sure the pain will be worth it. Hopefully you won't lose too much fitness either.
    Birch - that's still over a 1000 miles. Really looking forward to the coastal mara - it'll be my first this year (first since last year's coastal in fact).
    GD - more speedy stuff. You are in great shape.
    10 miles this morning with 6 x 1200m - 4:36, 4:30, 4:31, 4:31, 4:31, 4:32.
  • GerardM said:
    G-Dawg - You're running fast a lot! When is yours? Abo??

If I can make the start line I've though about how much fitness one could lose in 3 weeks or so. What ya reckon guys? 
    Never sure how much fitness you can lose over time, but a rule of thumb that I use is that it takes about double the time to recover after a period off, so e.g. 1 week off and 2 weeks to recover. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Ouch! That's so unfair but feels about right. :/

You once said, PMJ, that it takes around 10 days for a speed session to really get into the system. I've always remembered that and over time I've experienced that it's about right too.

That's why I'll be doing nothing fast after next Wednesday as there will be no point.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've heard the double your time off to get the fitness back thing, too.  Sucks, but seems to hold true.  Seeing as I've been injured/ill on and off from Feb-Aug that is a bit daunting, and explains why I'm as slow as I am at the moment!  However, I haven't lost 6m of fitness, so I'm fairly sure I'll be in good shape either later this year or early next, and flying by April 2018.

GM
    : if you can do some cross-training then you won't lose as much fitness as you would if completely sedentary.  I've had short layoffs in the taper period before and I reckon it's generally cost me anything between 2-5 minutes.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    GM, what Jools said. 

Away with work tomorrow night so squeezed in a 5 mile fartlek tonight. Felt OK, 6.36 pace overall and looking forward to 2 day's rest.

Tonight was a good head clearer; a couple of family departures today, an Aunt in her 80s, a lovely lady, and mu cousin's husband, only 58. Not seen either for a while but both were good people and sad to hear they're gone.  :|
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Thanks team! I really appreciate it. 60 second jog this afternoon. It's showing signs of improvement. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

GM, sad to say I hear a lot of stories of runners trying to come back from injury towards the end of a campaign and on race day they never quite meet the original target. The bottom line is that PF is a nasty injury that can put you out for months- avoiding that is probably a more important objective than your race performance so do take care.

G Dawg there seems to be a lot of it about. As you say it puts life into perspective. Nice pace by the way.

I had my club GP Tuesday- 3.5 miles in windy conditions. I managed to run sub-6 per mile and finished 6th in the field, about where I expected. The GP course hasn't changed in 25 years and looking back down my PBs my time is about 1 minute (or 5%) off my peak. That also gave me a bit of perspective- only 1 guy tonight beat my PB.

A long overdue family visit to Keswick this weekend. The whole family will do parkrun (including mum and 3 daughter). It will be between me and junior for family bragging rights.     

• GM - pleased to hear there's a slight improvement, but do take care. Maybe try and keep ticking over with the cycling and see how it's going nearer the day. All the best.
    GD - sorry to hear about your aunt and cousin's husband. I just discovered the other day that an old school friend who I hadn't seen for years died a while ago. Very sad.
    OO - good performance in the club GP. Enjoy Keswick and the family parkrun.
    Overslept this morning, so just did 3 slow miles.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

More Voodoo magic later today (well here's hoping). I am confident this is salvageable but if it isn't then it's not the end of the world, I'll still have a lovely time visiting my family in Holland and exploring the place.

Gul - Tut tut! :

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounding positive, GM.

Gul - You are a disgrace! :D
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Very sad. :(

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    More fun at the witch doctor today. 3/5 were so so and the others OMG but I told her she can stick the needles anywhere as far as I am concerned as long as she thinks it might help, to which she responded, Gerard, your fly is undone! The main trigger point on the sole of my foot has almost completely settled down now and the heel area is about 90%. I have been given the all clear to go for a test run tomorrow. I will run on lunch, very slowly and not for long. I have one more visit on Monday and I fly out to my sister and her family on Thursday, can't wait whatever the outcome. My mind tends to wander and like my feet and legs, it takes me to far places and sometimes too far. I penned this ode to running a few weeks back and I thought I would share it with you guys.  

Running……The One!

I view running as a lifelong best friend, ye know…. the one who you can always rely on? The one who lifts your mood when you're down, the one who you choose to go on an adventure on, the one who can help you put all the pieces of life's tremendously big jigsaw in the right place. The one that I have the utmost respect for and who has been the constant in my life through the rough and the smooth. The one, the one and only!  

• GM - you have hidden talents! Hoping the acupuncture is worth all the pain.
    No slacking today. 17 miles with 1 mile w/u and 16 @ 7:26 m/m. Now in a quandary as to whether or not to do a 20 miler this weekend or to count today's as this week's.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Thanks, it seems to be helping a lot, along with 9 days rest now and only 3 runs in the preceding week or so. That's a very good run. 16 @ MP? Where they even splits? I think doing another 20 this weekend after a run like that is probably a bit much but others may disagree. Could you maybe do another MLR, like say a 13 or so and treat it as a cut back week then go long the week after?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nice ode Gerard- but you forgot the mention all the friends (even if virtual) that running can bring ;) 

Club session last night was brutal on the track 9*400, but the legs were working  well and hip fine this morning-bodes well for parkrun

Impressive Gul- I think you should go for it, but maybe trim down a bit to 15-18.

• GM - splits were fairly even: 7:44, 7:31, 7:36, 7:20, 7:27, 7:32, 7:28, 7:24, 7:23, 7:28, 7:15, 7:19, 7:24, 7:24, 7:23, 7:12. Taper starts next week, so this weekend would be the last long long-run in theory, if you get what I mean.
    OO - bodes well indeed - junior won't know what hit her tomorrow!
    I think today's run more than adequately replaces a 20M LR, so I'll just take it easy this weekend and just use whatever time is available and not do anymore long MP runs.
    I just had an email from the coastal marathon organiser: "This is an off-road marathon using the coastal path and you should expect a wide variety of conditions including grass, mud, rough and uneven ground and soft sand. Please take care throughout." As expected then :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Yes of course, and it goes without saying. You guys all rock! :) Ooh, sounding good your end!

Gul - Ah yes I see. Haha I like the not so veiled warning that "this is going to be well tough"! :

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    20 min jog on lunch. Sole of foot felt ok, the heel is getting there too. Might go for another light run tomorrow or if not on Sunday. 
  • GM - sounds promising, but be careful!
    12 mile MLR this morning in the end. 6 @ 8:17 m/m and 6 @ 7:45 m/m.
    All the best to Badbark and anyone else racing/parkrunning this weekend; go smash it!
  • Gerard all the best next week ,nice song writing.

Gul a very strong run there ,you will be ready for the TOUGH coastal .

0054 sub 18 then lol ?

few mile walked 'ere .

• Leslie - I feel your pain.
    Rather unusual and unexpected second session this morning. A friend has been doing parkrun a few times with his 9 year-old son and I said if he ever wanted to run at his own pace I'd jog round with his son. I had a text message at 8:20 this morning and set off about 15 mins later. 2 miles warm-up, 2 laps of parkrun at 10:00 m/m and 1 mile tempo home for another 5 miles to make 65 for the week. Might take a rest day tomorrow ready for the taper!
  • Hi folks....sorry for the ultra long absence.....lots of stuff getting in the way of running!  But have got my VML mag so need to start knuckling down.  

Will try and read back a bit - although I have to say the page I opened on was straight onto a photo of Gerard's foot....so not sure if I really want to look much further back! 

Running as I say has been a bit sporadic - had some great hilly runs on holiday in Northumberland last month, but not much since then apart from some steady plods.  But I have now blocked out time in my calendar for most mornings so hopefully will avoid work getting in the way too much and can get some proper sessions in.  The long runs are still up there in the right ball park though - 15-16 miles which is OK for this time of year.

BTW - those of you with GFA places....has anyone else been given a really low number?  Mine is 481 and I have a horrible feeling they might have allocated me a champs place by mistake, as originally I was going to enter through deferring my champs place from this year, but then ended up doing GFA (as that gives me another deferral option if training doesn't work out).  I really don't fancy the idea of running with a number on my back again as I won't do it justice!  Or maybe they have just re-done all the numbers this year?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    don't look any further back, Freemers - there's pics of Poacher's feet lurking for the unwary . . . . 

good double, Gul - and nice work helping out :) 

well, after only scraping past 20 mpw during Sept, completed 22 in 2 days, this morn's 15 on top of 7 yesterday afternoon. My legs didn't enjoy the last 2 or 3 miles  . . . 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Sorry haven't read back yet. I'm just off the plane and realised I've forgotten my Garmin. Raging with myself. I usually check my pace every few minutes in Marathons. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. I'll be running to feel. So I could run a blinder, or too slow, or blow up and crawl over the line!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Shane at the watch. Have a great run tomorrow. 
  • Freemers - good to hear from you again. Hope you can get some consistent training in now and get a good base for VLM.
    Birch - pleased to hear you managed 15 the day after 7.
    Badbark - do you have any watch you could use just to get rough splits at the mile markers? Hope running to feel is a great success whatever. (And if not you could always blame Shane).
    Enjoyed the lie-in this morning :)