Sub 3h15

Comments

• GM - that's a cracking 5k race; you should be well chuffed with that.
    DadAgain - sounds like it's going to be a good smackdown; hope you get that sub 20>
    GD - sounds like a tough session. Well done.
    Birch - very promising.
    8 slow miles this morning.
  • G-Dawg said:
    Nice 11 miler, Gul
    That's a cracking pace for a night 5k GM. There must be a calculation as to what that would equate to in daylight as ocular perception is a slowing factor in the dark.

I'm not sure about that. I used to run an hour track race each year and it was in the dark on a track with some spotlights but they just cast pools of lights on the curves. I found the lack of visual stimulus meant you got into a sort of trance-like state and just kept knocking out lap after lap. My record was just over 17km in the hour. 
  • Saw this online: https://nationalrunningshow.com/announcements/announcing-the-towpath-challenge

Five days from London to Birmingham on tow-paths.

• Day 1, Sunday 14th January 2018: Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park to West Hyde
    • Day 2, Monday 15th January 2018: West Hyde to Leighton Buzzard
    • Day 3, Tuesday 16th January 2018: Leighton Buzzard to Blisworth
    • Day 4, Wednesday 17th January 2018: Blisworth to Stockton
    • Day 5, Thursday 18th January 2018: Stockton to NEC Birmingham 

The first two legs are close to me as West Hyde is effectively where the M40 and M25 meet so I was thinking of having a go at this and was wondering if anyone else fancies it? It would be very helpful to have a couple of people with cars so that the cars can be ferried about so that the logistics are made easy.
  • G-Dawg said:
    Nice 11 miler, Gul
    That's a cracking pace for a night 5k GM. There must be a calculation as to what that would equate to in daylight as ocular perception is a slowing factor in the dark.

I'm not sure about that. I used to run an hour track race each year and it was in the dark on a track with some spotlights but they just cast pools of lights on the curves. I found the lack of visual stimulus meant you got into a sort of trance-like state and just kept knocking out lap after lap. My record was just over 17km in the hour. 
    I've done 6am winter sessions on our local track and the sensor light only comes on every time you run past the clubhouse and goes off by the time you get 200m past. I think running round the track is completely different to racing on a promenade, where it is almost pitch black in places, you have to watch out for obstacles, such as random runners, dog walkers, walkers, cyclists, pot holes, uneven granite slabs, lampposts etc and that's difficult when you can barely see. I slowed down at one stage as I thought I was going to run into a bush that was overgrown. I couldn't quite tell how far away it was and boxed in by two walkers with a dog. All good fun though.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I think it was this I remember reading way back...

https://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/why-running-in-the-dark-feels-harder

Just got a cheeky 8 miles done thanks to working from home. 6.54 pace but could really feel the fartlek session from last night in my legs. Ouch!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard "almost pitch black in places, you have to watch out for obstacles, such as random runners, dog walkers, walkers, cyclists, pot holes, uneven granite slabs, lampposts etc   . . . . . . . All good fun though".   

Hmm, Gerard, I'd say you have an odd idea of fun ; then again, the average person probably doesn't share the average forumite's notion of "fun" . . . .  :)      

7 more steady miles today  . . .
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Birch - you are stealthily building up a good head of training.  Is there an A race coming up?

Gul - somewhere near Thetford, in a hut. Life is glamorous.

Lorenzo - weather update: a bit drizzly but not really cold now.  You will cane it.

Top bombing by Woking FC. 

I have knocked out 21m of training in 4 days.  Aiming to make 1000m for the year. Nosebleed!
  • PMJ - sounds like a good event, but I won't be able to help unfortunately.
    Birch - another 7 :)
    Poacher - we certainly now how to live it up in Norfolk! When is your next mara?
    As for running in the dark - what other kind of running is there ;) Almost collided with a cyclist this morning. I was overtaking a pedestrian and the cyclist was coming towards us whilst overtaking another pedestrian (also heading towards us); it was on a narrow path with a tree just left of centre partially blocking my view. I went to overtake on in inside to the left of the tree and thought the cyclist was veering over to the same side, so nipped over to go round the other side of the tree. Unfortunately, the cyclist took the same line :( I should have slowed down really, but even so it put a blip in my 400m reps.
    So 13 miles with 21 x 400m this morning. Average was 1:33 per rep, although most were around 1:32 with a couple of slower ones to start with which pushed up the average.
  • Crikey Gul that was a close shave. Nice session.

Birch - And to think some people run marathons for fun. :;

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    terrific session, Gul  . . .  how about Bungay on 8th April ?  ;)   

Poacher - no A race lined up - just want to get consistency back for rest of the year, but there's an Open XC here on Dec 10th, which I may enter if the next 4 weeks pans out OK. Would be a bit painful, to say the least, but it would hopefully herald a return to competition.   

15 with pal this morn, so 35 so far this week.
  • Birch  - 35 already, that's good going! Will be good to be back racing again.

10K on lunch run along the promenade. Very limited opportunities for running this week. I'll be lucky to scrape 20 miles but hopefully I'll be properly back to it next week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wait till you get old Gerard. You miss more of those obstacles and trip more easily- I go much slower in the dark to stay upright.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I like the sound of a promenade run, GM. Reminds me of being away with work once in Bournemouth. Ran along the prom to Christchurch and back before dinner. It was fantastic.

Last night was a pyramid at the club. 2,4,6,8,10,12 (00s) and back down, all at 5.55 pace with 45 sec recoveries. Legs were mashed at the end, partly due to it being 3 days of quicker running. Warm down consisted of getting straight into the car and driving home.  :D

Good session though.
    It's hard work this out of campaign ticking over business! Rest today.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Birch - Great comeback this week! I can't book anything for April unfortunately - might have other plans. Haverhill is a possibility but I think it falls on Mother's day.
    GM - good use of a lunchbreak.
    OO - lol.
    GD - great pyramid session - no wonder your legs were mashed.
    Overslept a bit this morning and didn't get out of the door till just after 5:30, so just 5 recovery miles.

• G-Dawg: sounds a hard pyramid session: 1,200m in under 4:30 and then just 45 seconds before you have to do another 1,000 at the same pace! I reckon those sessions are some of the best, teaches you the benefit of good pacing as well because the first 200 feels easy and yet you have to do the last 200 at the same pace and any enthusiasm early on comes back to bite you.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Spot on PMJ, spot on!!
  • Short recoveries are great for endurance monsters!  8 x (4 mins + 1min) was our club session on Tuesday :)
  • G-Dawg - I am going to do that sesh. I like the look of it.

5k along the prom today @ 6:39mm pace still a bit of a light breeze but very mild . Rest day tomorrow and hopefully a run on Sunday morning should see me hit the lofty height's of 21 miles for the week but some good quality in there so I can't complain.

• +1 for rep sessions with short recoveries, although G-Dawg's session sounds brutal.

Another impressive one from you Gul - 21 reps? Aaaargh! 

GM - nice going along the prom. 

Poacher - plenty of time left to hit 1500. Just need a couple of marathons a week between now and Xmas. 

Off road running in the dark is great fun, on the roads less so. Now that the nights are drawing in, the commuting journey back through the centre of London is quite tricky - the street lights don't seem to be as strong as they were in the good old days!

Easy week so far for me, with today and yesterday as rest days. On the train on the way up to Edale now - hope I'm not tempting fate, but the weather doesn't look too bad for the weekend's gentle run. 
  • Lorenzo - I hope the weather gods smile on you and you have a great time. 
  • Lorenzo - good luck. I drove NE to SW right across the Peak D yesterday in bright sunshine with lovely autumn colours. Bet it’s cold in Edale though. 

PMJ - a brief read but the towpath thing is a bit rum IMHO. Even in winter a mara on fairly flat terrain with few navigational issues won’t take too long, and will be an easy knock off for the names mentioned. There will be many hours to kill either in a freezing tent or down the pub. I can see the appeal of joining for a leg or two but there are far greater challenges out there. OTOH running to the NEC might be quicker that sitting in hideous traffic on its inadequate slip roads.

looking for a couple more maras before the of the year, if would be good to reach 80.
  • Lorenzo - best wishes for this weekend; look forward to the report!
    Early start today at 3:15. 26.2 miles in 3:13:57; finished strongly with a negative split of around 2mins. Time for breakfast :)
  • Today I ran 17:41 in my Park Run and my best Park Run time since June. I ran 17:25 in May and 17:16 in January was my best Park Run time for the year.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Seems funny getting a parkrun report so early in the UK. You are making me look slow sub-17. My best this year is 17:42 but I’m way off that pace now. Will plod round in 22 today saving my legs for tomorrow’s Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler. Not expecting too much after 3 weeks taking it steady with my dodgy foot/ankle. 
    Good luck Lorenzo!
  • Gul - Did I read that correctly, you just ran a training marathon in 3:13? ?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes Gul that sounds an amazingly quick nighttime run!

• Super quick there Gul - now go out and repeat it with a number on you but just tell yourself that it's a training run.

Quick check in to say that Day 1 has been successfully completed. 50K in total on a mix of disused railway lines and more technical, hilly stuff.

Weather was pretty good but got a bit chilly on Mam Tor.

Staying in Edale this evening and popping out for a bite to eat with MrsL and younger Lorenzito. 

Hoping I won't be aching too much in the morning as it's a hillier day tomorrow. 
  • DadAgain – I hope you smash your target in the track tonight

MsE – Great to read you managed the niggle. Excellent speed session

PMJ – That looks like a great 5 day event. Go for it!

Poacher – Good luck reaching the 1000 miles

Birch – Nice 15 miler

GD – Great pyramid session

GM – Nice 5k pace

Lorenzo – I hope you have a great one. I'm looking forward to reading all about it

OO – Good luck in your 10 miler.

Gul – Awesome training marathon! Now get a marathon booked for next month.

Sub17 – Amazingly fast Parkrunning! With that sort of pace you are capable of going under 2:45 in a marathon, with some high mileage training.

I’ve looked back over my last 16 weeks of training and see that I’ve completed 16 races and 7 Parkruns! This includes 5 marathons in the last 5 weeks averaging 3:04 pace. I even managed a week’s binge drinking and eating holiday in the middle of all this! :) Best of all, I've been completely niggle and illness free.

Today I ran 34 miles including a sub 20 min Parkrun starting at 21 miles. I averaged just under 8 m/m pace for the 34 in 4:31. Next week I’m running a 54 mile ultra (Loop the Lough), so today was my longest run in preparation. I'll take it easy now until the race. 

• S17PR - those are some pretty impressive parkrun times; you're obviously doing something right! Well done.
    OO - have a good 10 mile race today.
    Lorenzo - great stuff. I'm not surprised it was a bit chilly up on Mam Tor and running up there must have been very tough! Hope all goes well today.
    Badbark  - that is quite staggering; and what is your idea of taking it easy ? ;)
    Pretty chuffed with yesterday. I kept waiting for the slower miles to start coming but they never did. Splits were fairly consistent and speeded up slightly over the last 10 miles to finish with a 6:59 and even a sprint to get an unofficial 16:xx PB. I reckon tapering and carb-loading are overrated! 2.78 recovery miles to bring up 75 for the week this morning.

• I have a confession to make!

My coach sent me a txt saying he couldn’t do the 5000m race due to illness and I reviewed the rest of the field. It was clear everyone else was sub 17m with most sub 16m. I’d be running solo 5 minutes behind the pack....  in the pouring rain....

In the end I considered why I’d entered: 1) To have a fun smack down with coach on the track and 2) To see how fast I could run 5km in good conditions with appropriate motivation.

With both of those reasons seemingly void I pulled out of the race and instead opted for a sensible 24km run in the morning - something I need to do to get myself back into shape for 30km pacing duties I have in 2 weeks time.

Bit if a shame to miss the track session - but it’ll keep for another day!