Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Quick read back...
    Excellent running by Lorenzo. Those day 2 hills are brutal, even when you get over Jacob's Ladder, Kinder and Bleaklow there's a lot of work to do. Hard as nails.  Welcome to the world of the OG50.
    Nice cani-thing by MsE. Forest bathing???? Am I missing something?
    Usual ridiculously good performance by BB. Tired just reading it.
    GM - nice invite - spikes are a revelation and on the right course will make you so much quicker and more secure underfoot.
    Good running all round by you lot. Joolska sorry to hear than, DNF is a painful but necessary thing from time to time.

Not much running here, working in rural Norfolk which was Baltic, then off to Latvia. A few miles round the capital (Riga) which is a terrific city although cold and literally Baltic for anyone unwise enough to wear shorts. I could seriously fancy the Riga marathon which is in May, and just as flat as Berlin. Lorenzo - with your interest in food you could check out Latvian cuisine, very different and very interesting.  

Double today, 6m in the morning then a rather Baltic 3m tonight. Still on target for 1000m this year and looking to fit in 2 more slow maras as training runs.

• Options
    GM - hope you're recovering well.
    OO - beach race sounds fun on the face of it, but could be hard going; hope it's firm sand!
    Poacher - didn't you know Norfolk is the fourth Baltic State? Our neighbour is from Latvia and we have sampled some Latvian baking; very nice. Nice double.
    11 easy miles @ 8:17 m/m to bring up 301 for November, my highest ever monthly total (was 278 I think).

• Options
    You training commitment is amazing Gul. Chapeau!

In other news, after several misses, I have got through the ballot for the Berlin mara next September.   Das ist sehr aufregend!
  • Options

Poacher - Excellent news. Re XC and spikes. If our scorers are there and fit we will have a very strong team, we also have some very decent Veterans too and I'm just there to make up the numbers and for the experience. I have never worn spikes in my life so debating whether to get a pair and try them or run in trail shoes but of course it totally depends on the conditions. I'm told the course is not silly.

Gul - That's some monthly total.

9 miles jogged last night and 4 miles on the beach at Lunch today, feeling a bit better today.

• Options
    GM spikes are fairly cheap and basic compared to conventional trainers - more like an unpadded slipper which fits closely and is laced quite tightly so it won't come off in mud. Got to be worth a punt. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - embrace the XC & get spikes - they'll last years . . . .      

Poacher - nice one re Berlin . . . .   lederhosen perhaps?  

Gul - fantastic month - more modest here; 12 v.cold miles to sign off on 143, but at least its better than October's 82, esp as no run until 6th Nov.  1662 for the year.   
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Poacher - I can't recall if you said you have done Berlin before? It's defo on my list. I bought some spikes today and other things. :smile:

Birch - You have managed to turn it around. I'm really pleased for you. When is your XC race? 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Poacher - brilliant news on Berlin. I loved it!

In similar news, my qualifying time for Chicago has been approved and I'm in!!!

That will be 4 of the 6 majors...might as well...
  • Options
    Poacher - if you do about 2 or 3 marathons a month between now and September, you could make Berlin your 100th!
    GM - may not be a silly course but you will definitely be a serious runner if you have spikes.
    Birch - that's still a very respectable total for the year to date. Glad things are improving.
    GD - excellent news.
    Celebrating my mum's 80th birthday this weekend, so no running planned and zero today too as despite getting up a 4am I didn't have any time left after doing all the jobs which I couldn't leave until Sunday evening! I will have a lot of miles to catch up on next week... So only 47 for the week. My body will probably thank me though after 6 consecutive MLR days.
  • Options
    Also got lucky in the Berlin ballot.
    Does anyone know if when it says in the email "No training and no competition without health check up! Please make an appointment with the doctor of your choice to undergo a sports medical examination." is this just advice or a mandatory requirement?
    Re X-country spikes, I did the last two seasons in my fell shoes but this year decided to get a cheap pair of spikes and it's definitely made it easier. I'm fairly pigeon toed so I was worried about spiking myself while I ran, but so far is all going OK. Downside is that now instead of fretting about shoe choice before a race, I'm now fretting about which length spikes to choose!
  • Options
    6 MLRs Gul: go find an ultra and run it!

Nov all done and dusted 179.97 miles in 24:06:41 hours so average pace 8:02, or should that be 180 miles in 24 hours at 8 min/mile?

• Options

First run in almost 4 weeks today - my 2 weeks was optimistic in the end, but all OK today.  Hopefully the calf problem is behind me, although I've been given strict instructions to avoid speed work for another few weeks.  But at least it is running - there are only so many XT sessions and fast paced walks I can take!

This weekend I am visiting family in Surrey so will be jogging round Banstead Woods parkrun in probably a PW time.

Haven't read back yet so I hope everyone is doing well running well!

• Options
    Freemers - Yay, glad you're back. Enjoy your jogged parkrun. 

Congrats on the major entries guys. 

Another trip to the seaside for me today. Everyone in the office crying foul of the weather and how cold it was etc. I went for a 4.3 mile run on the beach and it was glorious albeit a bit windy on the way back. Enjoying running in the sand right on the incoming tides at the mo. Makes one feel very alive. 
  • Options
    Nice miles from Birch, PMJ, Gul et al.
    Freemers that’s good news but do be careful
    GD - Chicago will be terrific, and pretty flat too
    Andy the health cert is not compulsory https://www.sportstoursinternational.co.uk/sports-certificate/
  • Options
    Badbark - congrats on yet another stunning run. Puts my ramble over the hills to shame! :/

Poacher - thanks for the comments. Definitely feel part of the OG club now! Latvian cuisine eh? I had a couple of nights in Latvia a few years ago at the end of a holiday in Estonia (which is a fantastic country) but don't remember anything about the food - what are the national specialities? Great news on Berlin.

Good news also for AndyLid and G-Dawg - hope it's not too windy in the Windy City

Go easy Freemers - glad to hear you're back.

Bit envious of your running routes GM although I'm more of a hills than a seashore person. I guess you've got the benefit of both you luck devil. Have you got yourself a pair of spikes yet?

179 miles in November for me - just off to the Banstead parkrun for a quick blast. It's a good run through the woods so a bit undulating - my best there is only 19:40ish but I played squash yesterday and I'm feeling a bit stiff so anything close to 20 will be a good result.
  • Options
    Lorenzo - I hope you had a good parkrun. I did order spikes, just waiting on them to arrive. Will be fun trying them out. Yes I'm lucky we've got some great running routes here, i love it all. I'm trying to toughen the legs up a bit hence all the beach running plus it's quite stunning and only 200m from the office and less than a mile from home. 
  • Options
    Lorenzo - I didn’t see you at the parkrun....but I spotted you in the results. The youngster finishing just ahead of you was my nephew, with a new PB. Still beaten by his dad a couple of places ahead, but it won’t be long before he’s winning that particular race. I managed 24.04 which was faster than I’d expected. 
  • Options
    Freemers - shame we didn't catch up at Banstead. Do you run there often? I had a good smackdown on the last lap with your nephew - he was ahead of me at the halfway point, then I overtook him with about 1K to go only for him to fly past me on the turn with about 200m to go; he dragged me past another runner but I couldn't keep up with Freemers Jnr and he finished a few second ahead of me.

19:38 for me, which is one second off my PB for that course (which was on my first run there about two and a half years ago) so I was pretty pleased with how it went this morning.
  • Options
    Lorenzo - That sounds like a very decent parkrun today. Well done!

Freemers - Sounds like you had a good run too. 

I had the luxury of a free day today as my son is on a sleepover at a hotel with his cub scouts. Wanting to make the most of it I met up with a friend who is a PT/Nutritionist and he has been wanting me to come visit his private gym/dwelling for sometime to get a handle on other aspects of my fitness and general well being etc. I was very impressed with the set up and he gave me lots of food for thought and it's something I plan to get on with in 2018. We went out for a lovely run around the local reservoir. It's a 1.9m undulating loop of trail path. We are similar in terms of pace over various distances and we did 3 loops at a good honest clip. A very enjoyable day and outing indeed. 
  • Options
    Thanks Poacher
  • Options

It’s great to read that Poacher and AndyLid are doing Berlin next year. I’ve had my ‘fast runner’ entry confirmed this week. My flights and hotels are booked. See you there! :)

• Options
    Cross country for me today following pacing parkrun at 21 minutes yesterday. I have not raced for a while and was planning on an 80% effort jobbie but once the adrenalin of the race cut in it ended up a bit harder than that but still a notch off 100%.  The course is a technical one and if you know the courses (and I do) then it is an advantage as you can pace the efforts and the recoveries so you don't end up in a pile on the floor with the last hill to go. I was about a minute slower than last year so happy with that: maybe the injuries are starting to clear.
  • Options
    Nice running all round.

30+m this week, woo hoo.

GM - a lad from Jersey turned up at Parkrun yesterday and seemed a little "surprised" at the mud, sheets of ice and general grotty winter XC conditions in the north of England.

BB you will like Berlin, IMHO fastest of the major courses (not run Tokyo) and with the start/finish close together not a ridiculously long day like e.g. NYC. Berlin can be hot. But if the climate gods are kind you could be looking at a very fast one.

Lorenzo - Latvian cuisine, think mozzarella glazed with sticky liquid  blackcurrant, very strange. MrsP's fave restaurant doesn't have place mats, they put a piece of greaseproof paper down and spray bizarre sauces over it which you mop up with bread (!)

• Options
    Poacher - Haha, which parkrun is that then? 
  • Options
    Poacher - hmm, most bizarre. Looks like the culinary equivalent of a Jacskon Pollock painting.

G-Dawg - good result for your boys today; in the mix for pulling out one of the big teams. The mighty Stones were up at half time but conceded four in the second half so will just have to concentrate on the league now. :'(

13 miles for me this morning for a few other chaps from the club - a bit misty and drizzly so the views from Box Hill were non-existent.

Running as part of the commute planned for tomorrow which will take me over the 2,000 miles mark for the year.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to you mum Gul that’s a tidy age.
    some fine parkrun’s and good going at XC PMJ. A minute lost is nothing after a lack of racing.
    And welcome back Freemers, that’s a long rest but seems to have done the trick.
    I did well on the beach today. 1st V50 and last counter for the 1st team prize- we really cleaned up. Probably the best I’ve run for a while and was a nice boost as the race year comes to a close.
    Not sure I fancy that Poacher...
  • Options
    Andy - pleased you've got a ballot place in Berlin; should be a great experience.
    PMJ - I presume you didn't see your monthly mileage total until it was too late to do the extra 0.03! Parkrun performance promises well.
    Freemers - glad to hear you're off the bench; take care now.
    GM - good beach running - does your office have a seaview? Good day with your friend by the sound of it.
    Lorenzo -  nice monthly total - half of them in one weekend probably?! Good parkrun. Shame about the lack of views from Box Hill after all that effort.
    Poacher - interesting presentation of sauces!
    OO - congratulations - top notch performance. We had a great weekend at the seaside for my mum's birthday, thanks, but no running on the beach!
    10 miles with 7 x 0.5M intervals - very inconsistent, but good to get out for a run again after 3 rest days.

• Options

Lorenzo - I get to Banstead a couple of times a year.  It's my brother's local so I join him there when I'm visiting. 

PMJ - well done at the XC

OO - nice day out at the beach by the sounds of it!

Poacher - Latvian dining sounds like fun!

I ran the course of the Epsom 10 yesterday - basically a loop round Epsom Downs, Hedley, Walton on the Hill and Tadworth.  Undulating all the way round, so nice and slow, but felt OK after the lay off.

• Options
    Gul Darr said:

PMJ - I presume you didn't see your monthly mileage total until it was too late to do the extra 0.03! 

If I knew I was so close I would have done the extra bit but months are really a bit odd. They are a useful roll-up but the target is to hit 40 a week. December (31 days and 5 Sundays) is very different to November (30 days and 4 Sundays) as the Sundays are the long runs. 
  • Options
    Freemers - sounds like a good 10 miler.
    PMJ - yes, monthly totals can be a little misleading. I had half an eye on 2,500 for the year, but after 3 consecutive zeros the required average daily mileage has crept up to just over 11, so probably out of reach now.