Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It’s gonna be close Gul. I think with 4 weeks to I should land at 24XX
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Freemers - Good that you felt ok.

Gul - No sea view for me, but some of my lucky colleagues do. but they rarely venture out to look at it. I'm out there almost every day. :smile:

Absolutely glorious day here. Very sunny and actually really warm. 3.3 miles on the beach. The legs felt worse today after Saturday's reservoir loops so it was a slow plod. Learning how to run very slowly these days. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Looks like e have a tidy little team hitting the streets of Berlin. It's my PB course but beware, as someone has said, it can get war,. It was quite warm when I did it but it was a cracking run. Not too many sites to see on the course but there's a great atmosphere and the course is flat, so flat that the slightest incline over a bridge feels like a mountain!

Looking at hotels in Chicago. Does anyone know if there's a preferred area? Grant Park is the start finish and seems well served by public transport. Thinking of selecting a hotel in the centre of the city?

Man-flu lurgy persists but still ticking over. Went out for 12 miles on the trails on Sunday. I really like these runs.
    Then went to Woking v Peterborough in the FA Cup round 2. We drew 1-1 and missed a penalty. So close! Unbelievable atmosphere.
    In the draw last night we got Aston Villa away. A superb tie for us but we need a miracle to beat Peterborough at their place next week to go through. Fingers crossed...
  • OO - another 16 today, so 280 to go in 26 days (minus Christmas Day and possibly Boxing day too); you're probably right.
    GM - there is a certain art to running slow.
    GD - exciting to plan your trip to Chicago. I might be looking for somewhere slightly less cosmopolitan. Good luck against the Posh.
    A 16 mile MLR this morning @ 7:45 m/m.
  • What no running on Christmas Day Gul?  Prime time for a parkrun if you ask me!

I'm only on around 1200 for the year currently - all that time sitting on the CNBA bench makes a difference!

GD - you'll love Chicago, one of my favourite cities I've been to.  I would probably agree with you and stay in the city centre, everywhere is very accessible anyway.

5 miles pretty steady pace this morning.

• GD I ran Chicago in 05 and stayed in the Fairmont just north of the park. We got a ridiculously cheap then but I fear it would be pricey now.  There are other hotels in the area and it's an easy walk to the start/finish.

Freemers you have done hundreds more miles than some of us.

No running today, but 42m bike.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Gul - That's a very tidy 16. Was it even paced or did you speed up? 

Freemers - Nice steady 5.

Poacher - That seems like a long way/time in the saddle to me but I suppose it's not to you.

Another 5K night race for me tonight. Very good conditions with a light breeze going out and it felt perfect coming back. My last 4 races on this course have all been in the low-mid 18:5x range and I was hoping to go a bit quicker tonight. I didn't feel particularly up for it but I rocked up as it's too easy in terms of getting there (10 mins from home) and it's usually a good race. Very pleased with the outcome and I managed 18:41, so not far off my target and my quickest in 4 years. I had no idea what pace I was running as I ran it to feel but had my Suunto on, no point in looking mid race in the dark and I just stuck to the task at hand. I've set my new watch to KM's in laps but the pace is displayed in miles. I like to see the splits in K's but prefer seeing what mile pace I'm actually running. Splits as below. Would have loved a PB and only 6 seconds off one but it shows some progress and that will probably be my last race of the year bar the odd parkrun for fun. 

KM Split Mile pace
    03:45 6:02
    03:50 6:10
    03:48 6:07
    03:42 5:57
    03:36 5:48
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell GM! Where do you mount your jet engine, on your head or between your legs!? (Easy tiger, keep it clean!!).

Good Chicago info Poacher, cheers.

8 good ones tonight. A mate wanted to go a bit quicker but has zero confidence in his speed for some reason. I said I'd pace him on alternates, 7.2x and 6.5x, four of each. Really pleased I found it dead easy and he was chuffed with the confidence boost.  We averaged 7.08. Nice to not go flat out and play around with pace. 3 weeks before campaign starts and feeling alright.
  • Freemers - steady as she goes. I don't think there's a parkrun on Christmas Day in King's Lynn, but as the rest of the family aren't runners I should really give them my full attention for one whole day at least!
    Poacher - good bike miles.
    GM - that's a cracking 5k and very impressive to speed up over the last 3k! PB next time. My MLR was fairly evenly paced; the first 2 were a bit slower and the last 2 a bit faster, but the rest all within 10 secs of 7:45 m/m.
    GD - that's not an easy session to pace; well done. And promising, as you say, that you found it so easy.
    9 slow miles this morning.

• G-Dawg - That sounded like a very good run. Always a nice feeling helping others hit their pace goals. Haha, the way you have been going lately I bet you could easily run that sort of time for a 5k.

Gul - Cheers. I ran the 1st half just under my limit and was chasing two guys on the way back, that always helps when trying to speed up. I'm hoping to go sub 18:30 soon, just gotta keep chipping away. Very good pacing for your MLR.

Re Christmas running - I'm away from my son this year, so I will run Xmas day, I'm looking forward to running with the wild deer in the park near my Mum's house.

• Gul - come to Norwich parkrun, you know you want to....it's only just down the road....

Mind you I think GM's run with the deer sounds like a perfect run for Christmas Day :D

That's good running GD

Another 5 yesterday, progressive pace on the treadmill.  Not speedwork definitely, but I finished with a mile at around 7.15 so not too shabby.  Staying in London near Trafalgar Square tonight - aiming for an early morning run around Green Park and the embankment.  Might get me in the mood to start a proper plan for London!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the London stay, Freemers. A run around Green Park will be nice. I use an office over there most weeks, no chance for running around there though.

Track tonight. Something to do with 6 x 1k repeats, apparently. Still have lingering man-flu issues but nothing too bad.
    It didn't stop me belting out songs at the Jamiroquai concert at the O2 last night. What a great show that was!  B)

• GM - Bubka improvements, heh?
    Freemers - pleased to hear you're being sensible (apart from running on a treadmill!) Enjoy Green Park. Norwich parkrun would be good to do one day (although there are several others closer to home) but not Christmas Day ;)
    GD - getting to be a regular at the O2! Hope you can belt out the 1k reps too.
    12.5 miles this morning (don't usually do fractions of a mile, but had a few minutes to spare...) with 21 x 400m tempo efforts (anything from HM to 5k pace). Not quite a mini-Zatopek session as I had 400m recoveries rather than 200m.

• Gul - I've done 5 road 5k's this year and they've gone like........ 18:53/19:02/18:53/18:55/18:41. Need to find 12 seconds, sounds easy doesn't it? One of my sister's friends lives near you and mentioned something recently about a new parkrun called Colney Lane. Do you know about?

G-Dawg - Big fan of Jay Kay. I bet it was great.

Freemers  - Enjoy your time in town. 

2 mile recovery jog for me yesterday. My legs felt fine, will try get out tonight for an hour or so.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all

after a decent 3 week block, CNBA descended again last week, with just one run of 12 miles.  this week so far comprises 6 on Monday (stopped 3 times through boredom at putting one foot in front of the other )  :/  nowt on Tues, and a very windy 10.3 yesterday.   
    CNBA partly due to lingering hamstring issues (Gerard - thanks for asking, but I'm not now gonna do the XC - would be too risky) and partly due to seasonal gloom (Not a fan of this month and the conclusion to it)  .  Must try to fight this weakness  . . .
  • Freemers said:

Staying in London near Trafalgar Square tonight - aiming for an early morning run around Green Park and the embankment.  Might get me in the mood to start a proper plan for London!

I have been round Hyde Park last few mornings. Big meeting with late finishes meant I have been staying overnight in London.
  • I ran the EAMS Santa Marathon yesterday finishing 2nd place in 3:12:57. As it was only 10 days after the 54 mile ultra, that sub 3:15 was pretty hard work. That's me near the front with my arms apart. :) 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Grrat pic BB!
    Track tonight was 1k repeats. Coac said first 1k in 4.00 mins, 2nd in 3.48, 3rd as quick as you dare. Then, repeat (6 reps total).
    I used the end of man-flu and niggly groin excuses to run on my own but others had the same idea so we ran as a group with me as pace maker.
    Splits ended up as 4.00, 3.48, 3.34: Set two - 3.58, 3.46, 3.32.
    Really pleased with that and I actually enjoyed it. Bonus!!
  • Nice track sesh G-Dawg especially with the lingering lurgy. How long were your recoveries in between?

Birch - Don't give up the fight! I am looking forward to my Xmas at home with my family but if I could disappear somewhere hot and quiet I would. Not a fan of NY's myself apart from watching Jools Holland.

Had to work late last night so it meant I didn't get home until after 8 so only enough time for a quick 2 mile loop around town. Just needed to get out to stretch the legs and it was a nice nippy run @ 6:22mm average. Xmas departmental do tonight and too busy to run on lunch so today will be zero. Will try and salvage a semi decent week with some longer runs over the weekend.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Whoops, forgot that bit, GM. 200m jog/walk to get the heart rate right back down, so around 2 to 2.5 mins.
  • GM - at least Colney Lane is the "right" side of Norwich for me, but still about 1 hour's travel. Enjoy your work's do tonight.
    Birch - hope it's just a temporary blip. Take care.
    Badbark - nice pic. There seem to be an awful lot of marathons over your side of the sea!
    GD - seriously impressive set of reps.
    10.5 slow miles this morning.

• Gul - That's a long way to go to run for 18 mins. :) And exactly what I thought re Badbark, he seems to live in an unusual place called planet Thon.

G-Dawg - I think I usually do about 90s for mine and about 2mins for mile reps but that's hard. 2 min for 6 1k reps sounds ideal. Any races coming up before the close of the year?

• Badbark said:
    I ran the EAMS Santa Marathon yesterday finishing 2nd place in 3:12:57. As it was only 10 days after the 54 mile ultra, that sub 3:15 was pretty hard work. That's me near the front with my arms apart. :) 

Come on 471, everyone has at least one red running top!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Very tasty sessions being nailed round here. Impressed. 

Nice Santa running from BB. You will probably overtake me in numbers in 2018 ?

Loads of snow in the Peak overnight and very treacherous running on ice today, as well as cold cold cold. Lorenzo you lucked out with your race, this was the scene looking towards Kinder this morning with clouds rolling down off the plateau and serious windchill. Wouldn’t have been much fun on Bleaklow either.

• Poacher - nice view. Cold here but no snow till tonight apparently.
    I had hoped to do a long run this morning, but was late up, so went for a tempo run instead. 10 miles with 7 @ 6:58.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Morning All!

I've not been around these parts for a long time but thought I'd drop by and say I will be running London (everything crossed) and if you can hang around long enough I will be at the Chandos Party.  :D
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Looks like you're all doing well.  Is there anything significant I have missed?   
  • Minni that will be a treat. It's Lorenzo's round isn't it? Thanks also for the gen on the NCR - another chance for the entire OO family to beat us.

Gul that is a seriously decent run.

Parkrun this morning in heavy snow, lethally icy in places, with patches where spikes can't grip.  Still undefeated as an EOG55 though - hoping to continue the streak for as long as poss.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think you're right Poacher, definitely Lorenzo's round. 

I won't make it to NCR as I am teaming up with MsE and others that weekend to do Thunder Run again.    (anything to avoid the entire OO family beating!)

Sounds like you're going well Poacher?  I'm working in Newcastle now and did a marathon lap on the Town Moor on Friday lunchtime.  It was biting - can't imagine how I ever enjoyed 5 laps of that!   Which, has just reminded me that I noticed Ant was in Newcastle at the weekend.  Does he ever come on here?  I'm sure I read somewhere that he had a bad back. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hey MinniB)

14 miles on frozen trails this morning. Bloomin' freezing out there.  Was supposed to do last week's 12 miler in reverse but took a wrong fork and added 2 miles. Good fun though.