Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Keep it up Gerard, it's tough pushing through in these conditions but necessary. Lucky I have a beach on my doorstep as I'm prone to fall easily these days with any ice or dodgy conditions. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not Gul I see swimmers in the sea, even 1 without a wet suit the other day. Nothing on this earth could persuade me to enter the North sea in December- seems almost perverse...  
  • Another battering in the rain, hail and wind today. 3.2 hilly miles. It is becoming a real bore but gotta keep going.

• OO54 - North Sea in December? Surely thats not safe?
    GerardM - Rain wind and hail sounds beautifully refreshing! Swap?

I failed to get out yesterday morning as planned so had to run after work instead. 4:30pm and the car thermometer read 32C. Legs were still heavy from the weekends exertions so I just tacked along at a very sedate pace.

10km done at 90s/km slower than marathon pace, but it felt like a full on effort tempo run! Summer is soul destroying and confidence draining....
  • OO - I know there's a mass swim in the North Sea at a local beach on Christmas Day (or is it Boxing Day?) but seems bizarre to just decide to go for a swim like that in December in the North Sea, as you say!
    GM - nice weather you're having.
    DadAgain - from one extreme to another...
    12 slow miles today and some local Christmas cards hand delivered.
  • Struggling to keep up with all these posts...
    Another 14 slow miles this morning (avg=8:33m/m). GPS watch battery was dead so did 7 laps of an old 2 mile loop which used to be a regular route.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed Gul that is a Boxing Day tradition- most are just in an out but a few local swimmers are as tough as old boots and swim all year round.

Parkrun cancelled today so I did the course solo then added some pacey miles. Annoyed really as I felt so good. Had I got earlier notice I could had toured elsewhere.

13 tomorrow gets me to 50 again so just 30 needed for the big 2400.

I think we'd all trade up for your summer Dad Again ;)   

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Surprised myself this morning. Woke up without a headache. Had 6 pints of Bierra Morretti last night at a Christmas gathering. So, got up and bashed out a 15 miler. 7.47 pace along the roads rather than trails. Last week the trails were frozen with loads of ankle twist potential. Definitely prefer trails for longer runs or at least running with someone else. Still, a good session.

Will finish the year just shy of 1600 miles with PBs at all distances, healthy GFAs bagged and a step up to v50 status. I'll take that.  B)
  • GM – Embrace the weather!

DadA – Excellent pacing and report. Your talking of heat makes me so jealous.

Gul – Good thinking with the run and xmas card delivering!

OO – I had the exact same thing happen at my Parkrun today, although I was there at 8:30 am and they only decided to cancel at 9:10am. Grrr!

GD – Well done on all the PB’s this year!

Despite the terrible weather, I didn’t miss a run this week and have now clocked up my highest ever yearly mileage. I’ve managed 3478 miles so far with a few weeks to go. This has me in the top 20 on Fetch.

• OO - closing in on that target.
    GD - an amazingly impressive year of running there! You should be well chuffed. 
    Badbark - staggering amount of miles - 300 per month must be within reach!
    More slow mile this morning. 12 icy ones to bring up 86 for the week which I think is my highest ever. Hope I don't break before the end of the year!
  • Last Sunday I had planned 11 but the snow put that off. Did it today and the predicted mud bath on the Thames Path was true. 1,984 for the year, creeping close to the 2,000.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    5 muddy ones for me, 7.24 pace. Could feel the 15 from yesterday but good to get out and burn some calories, I'm eating and drinking everything in sight right now!!  :D
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Readback:
    GD you do have extraordinarily long arms.  Must be useful when out shopping, or changing lightbulbs.  Good action shot though and you look like you're having a good time which is the main thing.
    OO that Derwentwater circuit is lovely isn't it, esp. the western shore.

Parliament Hill sounds suitably tough. The highlights of the European CC champs last week showed a course which was essentially a flat boring field with a few artificial sleeping policemen.  Is that really proper CC?

GM nice spikes. Presumably you have some shorter points in reserve which are surprisingly good on grass/mud and can handle a little bit of harder surfaces.

Dad - 30k didn't sound too hard but boy that was a tough day out. Nicely brought home.

Gul you are still cooking.  Get that spring mara booked.

• My day, as a really bad Haiku:

"Portsmouth marathon
    Ice mud beach fields shingle rain
    Too old for this now?"

This is a flat but not fast course with some interesting multi-terrain sections, not to everyone's taste but there's always a good turnout and I think it makes some people feel less guilty about Christmas scoffing.  I live by water and love the contemplative nature of running by water, with birds/ships/ferries/mudflats/old forts in the Solent etc etc.  Some hardy folk were swimming at 0800 - brrr! The normal course had changed slightly due to an early high tide (saving slower runners from splashing through rising cold water on the nasty muddy beach), the last few mile markers were in strange places and at the end I and others had >27.1m on the Garmin.  This seems like rather a big discrepancy but no matter. 3.39, heck I am slow, but deserve to be given that I passed 1000m for the year last week. 66 maras + 13 ultras = 79, Badbark eat your heart out. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s a cracking effort Poacher off a criminally low annual mileage. Sounds lush.
    My lsr was cut short due to awful weather today at 14. I still felt fresh so went out for 6 more this evening. 57 for the week. Cut back next for my last face of the year next Saturday, the Saltwell 10km. A hilly course and one of the uk’s oldest races. 2 daughters running so my last chance for family supremacy this year ;)
  • Another great performance Poacher - not sure I'd fancy that one. Sounds like you might be on for Parliament Hill? Agree with your assessment of the European XC champs - why can't they do it on a course like the one up in Edinburgh?

Great mileage Gul, only put in the shade by Madbark with an average of 10 miles per day across the year. Wowzers!

Rest day yesterday after a few beers on Friday night and 9 (c)hilly trail miles this morning to bring up 46 for the week.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    (more) good work, Poacher - you and others putting me to shame currently - 3 miles this week  :/
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gosh, loads of posts to catch up on. Plenty of familiar names around so will try harder to keep up. Cutback week in my HM training gives me around 37-38 this week. Ankle playing ball nicely but I daren't get complacent.  I have a new mentor to get feedback from in the shape of Race Jase who is injured sadly (although not so sadly for me, as it is the reason he is offering to mentor people). While I use McMillan plans, the input on coaching is barely noticeable so some feedback from RJ will be brilliant. Julian G is great but his focus is on developing speed in runners and speed/endurance in cyclists.  Whenever I tell him I've been for say, a 15 miler, he always says things like, "What on earth did you go doing that for?!".  :D  Marathoners are a different breed altogether.
  • Poacher - Love that medal! Chapeau!! 

I won't bother posting my annual score as it's pathetic by comparison to most on here. 2018 will be better. 
  • I have been running 15 to 20 miles per week over the last 2 months since my mid-October Marathon. I have now ran 40 Park Runs for the year. I have only run 700 miles for the year including my Park Runs and a Marathon.

I have 6 months to train towards my final marathon in mid-June and my aim is a sub 3:10 marathon. I have now ran 8 marathons between 3:04 to 3:32. 

Remain injury free and gradually increase my mileage towards 30 to 40 miles per week and run consistent weekly 10 to 15+ mile long runs. Running 40+ Park Runs  in 2018, a sub 1:30 HM and a sub 3:10 Marathon are my time goals for 2018. I would like to run 1000 miles in 2018.

• Poacher - excellent work!

GD - how are you going to top this year?

Gul - I think that's Cromer that does the Boxing day sea swim?  Spoons (of the sub 3.30 thread does it I think).  Crackers!

A few good days running for me - I was on holiday Thursday/Friday, so managed to get out for a little longer than I would normally during the working week, and then again Saturday and yesterday.  Total of 44 miles over those 4 days.  Yesterday was lovely, sunny and cold with very little wind.  A fair number of deer in the fields - in fact deer outnumbered other runners by about 10!

• PMJ - Snow? What snow?! 2,000 looks to be very comfortably in the bag.
    GD - good to see you've started carb-loading early.
    Poacher - well done, that sounds really grim even if it is down south. Are you going to sneak in another one before the end of the year?
    OO - save those legs for Saturday.
    MsE - nice to have such a great choice of coaches!
    sub17parkrun - some good targets for 2018>
    Freemers - are you fully recovered now? Yes, you're probably right about Cromer, but the really local one to me is Hunstanton.
    12 miles again this morning. First 6 slow as stopping and starting delivering more cards, then 6 @ 7:22 to finish.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

You must be the fastest postman in town Gul!

Sounds lovely Freemers and good miles.

Sub 17= I can't see how you run so fast and complete a marathon on 700 miles in a year? Quite remarkable if you do, and a massive potential to improve your times if you ever  get the chance up the mileage.

Legs feeling fine today but taking a rest day anyway after a heavy week.

No more travels until after Xmas and just a few days work left before the break. I have worked out that I have 27 weeks working after Xmas, before retirement. Perhaps someone will buy me one of those countdown clocks so I can be really sad and count down the days ;)      

• OO - You will have loads of free time soon, will you race and run more or have you any other immediate specific plans for your retirement? 

Gul - What's on the horizon for you. Your weekly mileage has been very high and it would be great to try cash in on that. 

MsE - That's great news. 

G-Dawg - You've had a super year running wise. Long may your pb streak continue. 

Freemers - There is a group of swimmers here aptly named "The Polar bears" who swim all year round. I guess it's just what they like doing and someone commented tonight when they saw me in shorts after my run that I was mad and they didn't know how I did it. It's about 4c here tonight, so I guess we as runners are not too dissimilar. 
  • OO - 27 weeks! I reckon I'll be another 27 years.
    GM - no race plans unfortunately. Would be nice to do some parkruns at least!
    12.5 miles with 21 x 400m this morning at a relaxed tempo pace. Icy underfoot and didn't want to push it, so most were around the 1:36-1:39 mark.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gerard, no not planning to run anymore than I do now. Probably swim & bike more. Might even be brave enough for some yoga for my shocking flexibility. Milder here today. Club sesh this evening.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Gul - Are there a few shorter races locally that you could do other than a parkrun?

OO - You will probably really enjoy the yoga once you get into to it.

5.3 miles in the sunshine today on lunch. I have managed to pick up a head cold and have been feeling rubbish that past 3 days or so. I need to shake this one soon!

• Poacher 79 now wont belong till you see the 100 ! Another one in the bag in a decent time too.
    Lorenzo decent week for this time of year.
    0054 show 'em who is boss in that 10k ,27 weeks to a new start magic.
    Birch enjoy a little rest before a fresh start in new year .
    MSE will expect big things now Racejase is cracking the whip !
    Sub17 nice goals !
    Gul nice tempo reps on ice 
    Gerard seems the time of year for it , get well soon.
    Madbark only top 20 lol. show em who is boss next year ! staggering amount of clicks.

Static at 1923m here haven't run a step in about 11 weeks now , will probably start back in the new year but have to admit the longer you are stopped the harder it is to get going again !

• Leslie - Shame your year came to an abrupt ending on the running front but you knocked out some great times across the distances and you should be proud of that. I hope you find your mojo soon. 

OO - So, doing the math you'll be a free man come next summer. Maybe you could find time to arrange a visit to Jersey for some kayaking and running. :) 

8 drug fuelled miles tonight. Who said drugs enhance performance huh? Just a very slow plod @ 8:51mm along the prom in beautiful, still, clear sky conditions. I really hope this lurgy doesn't persist. I am flying home on Friday and was hoping to get in some decent training over the festive period in prep for the Hamps XC in Jan. 

• Great to hear you're all getting out there even in tough cold conditions or illness.

The idea of swimming in the sea in England in december quite frankly terrifies me. I consider my pool to be too cold if the water temperature is less than about 28C. By the end of summer it'll probably be an un-refereshing soupy 35C in the water!

Anyway - its been a tough week here. Tuesdays 16 x 500m interval session off 1 minute standing recovery had me going painfully slow and drowning in my own sweat. There's something really distressing about having a 500m rep pace thats 1min/km slower than marathon pace and feeling like its an equivalent effort!

This morning I joined a friend for a gentle 12km and again we were absolutely drenched in sweat and feeling shattered by the end.

Summer is definitely here. I'm still hoping my body will adjust soon and I'll get used to running in ~30C/70% conditions, but right now its knocking me for 6 (sorry - should avoid cricket metaphors, that particular sport is dead to me now!)