Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO - as it's milder, did you try the North Sea?
    GM - there's a 10k in May! Not much else going on, although I guess it depends what you class as local. Get well soon.
    Leslie - hope you're off the bench in the New Year.
    DadAgain - any kind of pace in that sort of heat would kill me, so well done; hope you acclimatise soon. Is it BBQ on the beach for Christmas dinner, then?
    13 miles @ 7:46 this morning, including some last minute secret Santa shopping.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks, Leslie - roll on the New Year for we two, eh ?   :/
  • Options
    Badbark said:

I’ve managed 3478 miles so far with a few weeks to go. This has me in the top 20 on Fetch.

Just looked and you are up to 16th. The #1 spot is definitely wrong, 6,934 miles in one month and about 100 for all others. #2 spot looks like someone on a treadmill: far too fast and far too steady and empty profile. #3 no details again.

#5 looks genuine

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=16736

and what a range, 4:18 for 1,500m and 2:33 for a marathon in the same year!

• Options
    Birch - could you send me any spare days you don't want from this year, please ;)
    PMJ - good detective work.
    12 miles this morning inc. 3 x 2M. 6:32/6:28, 6:27/6:28, 6:31/6:30. Last split was estimated as battery died about 700m into the final mile. Passed 2,400 somewhere in that lot. Target is another 93.5 with 8 runs to go, I hope.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the offer Gerard it's a nice thought- I'll retire end of July but trying not to make any fixed plans at the moment.

Leslie we all feel your pain, and I'm sure we have all been there at some point. On the plus side it will be great when you can see real improvement during your recovery- new goals and target as you get back to the top.

Well you beat me to it Gul. I only need 5 more miles to get 2400 so that will probably go today. I'm having a fairly gentle week and tapering from now till my 10k on Saturday. Sadly Junior has another injury and looks doubtful for the smackdown.   

• Options
    Training for this week:
    Sunday was a 7 mile hilly run in 50 mins around a 2.2 mile loop.
    Tuesday and Wednesday were 4.5 mile runs around the 2.2 mile loop @ 7 mile pace. 
    Thursday included 2 x 2 mile runs on treadmill @ 6:10 to 6:15 mile pace. 2km and 5km on rowing machine. 
    Park Run on Saturday.
  • Options
    Gul Darr said:
    ... Is it BBQ on the beach for Christmas dinner, then?...
    Close!  - I'll have a beach day on Sunday with the kids (nice fine white sand, gentle surf and not too many people), but xmas dinner will be a BBQ with friends lounging around in the pool drinking ice cold beers all afternoon, dipping in to steak, prawns and salads for food whenever we feel peckish.

Surpassed my lunacy yesterday with a lunchtime run cos it was the only time I'd get it done. Car thermometer said 36C when I drove from office to the park and it felt nasty! Started off at a very sedate pace, but by the end of the 10km run that same pace felt like an extreme effort. I sat and recovered for a while before I could get back in the car and by that stage the car thermometer was reading 41C (thats a lie - it wasnt THAT hot!).

Work colleagues are now completely convinced that I am batshit crazy insane! (and yes the workplace does have suitable shower facilities, otherwise I'd be fired for being excessively stinky and gross!)
  • Options
    OO - sorry to hear jnr's injury.
    sub17parkrun - some good quality sessions there. Good luck on Saturday.
    DadAgain - I feel ill just reading that.  Take care in that heat! Your Christmas Eve/Day plan sounds slightly more sensible.
    12 miles again this morning. 6 slow @ 8:53 and 6 easy @ 8:12. Last day at work till the New Year :)
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds lush Dad Again- enjoy the beach and your fab Christmas day plans! I used to run at lunchtime when I lived in Spain many years ago- similar temps, and my colleagues also called me the crazy Englishman. 

Well I slipped past 2400 yesterday, not sure where I'll land by end December but will be my biggest total by some margin. Not that much to show for it this year, but will save the reflections for the year end.

Now I'm concentrating on my race tomorrow- my last this year and last as a V50    

• Options
    DadAgain - Like OO I love running in the heat. Pool BBQ and beers sounds ideal. Enjoy! 

Gul - Enjoy your time off with your family. 

OO - Good luck for tomorrow and sorry to hear Jnr is injured. 

Plane hoppimg for me today as I make my way back to the motherland for Christmas. Can't wait to go for a run there tomorrow. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the injury to Jnr, OO.
    Welcome back to base GM. Enjoy the new running routes.

Hanging like a bat today. Work Christmas Do in Guildford last night. I bailed early, was in bed by 11pm but still drank enough beer to hurt my face this morning. I seem to have a hangover in my sinuses!

Being careful with a niggly groin/hip issue at the mo, so only a few small runs. Went out on Wednesday for a 5 miler at 6.49 pace. I can defo feel the Chrimbo excess pounds already.
    The light nights begin today. WOO-HOO!

Some sort of running planned for over the weekend but if I don't get on here, have a great Christmas everyone. Looking forward to reading about the running stuff Santa gave to you.

B) 
  • Options
    Leslie that's frustrating to finish so close to 2k but an excellent effort and you will come back stronger when fully mended.

Dad it's tough being a cricket fan but getting up at daft o'clock to watch England being outcompeted in the middle of the night is even worse.  Not equipped for Aus pitches and perhaps mentally shot in a few cases. Overpaid and not hungry enough? As for the big name player who is missing - what a moron.

GM - enjoy the trip home.

OO - when you retire to your pipe and slippers I can lend you my spare  zimmer if you fancy a "run"....  ;)

Got a few miles in this week, aiming to reach 1100 by the end of the year, I know that's c**p but running wasn't the target for 2017.

As you were, have an excellent Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    OO - have a great race today - hope jnr can make the smackdown.
    GM - have a great Christmas and enjoy the running.
    Poacher - quality not quantity!
    14 slow miles this morning. One run till Santa.
  • Options

I ran the EAMS Black eye Marathon yesterday. I chatted with a friend for the first 18 miles running about 7 m/m pace. I was feeling great so pushed on a bit for the next 5 miles at about 6:45 pace, then back to 7 m/m for the final few. This was good enough to pick up the win in 3:03:40 and my first negative split marathon in a while.

I was also awarded my silver 50 marathons medal from Marathon Club Ireland, although this was my 53rd marathon or ultra. That’s 14 marathons (12 x sub 3:15) and 3 ultras so far this year, with one more planned next weekend. 

• Options
    Nice one BB, 17 big ones in a year at that pace says a lot about your powers of recovery. And dwarfs my 10, but also planning a sneaky NYE mara if possible.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done B.B. that’s a cracking effort and a nice way to run the race.
    Double day here. Plodded parkrun with my eldest, then ran a steady 10k in 38:30. Picked up 1st V50 and the vet men won team prize which was a crate of beer! Result...
  • Options
    On Saturday I ran 17:52 in my Park Run and first place finish. I have now ran 40 Park Runs for the year.
    BB: Amazing consistent marathon times with 14 Marathons a 3 Ultras for the year.
    0054: Excellent 10km time and well earned beer.
    Gul Darr: Nice easy 14 mile run.

• Options
    Badbark - those are some truly stunning stats. Take a bow!
    Poacher - hope you can sneak that final one of the year in.
    OO - well done on the win. Enjoy the beer!
    sub17parkrun - cracking parkrunning! Good stat too.
    Well, I didn't factor in Christmas Lunch prep. We are having ours today as my sister is at work tomorrow, so too busy sorting out pheasant and turkey this morning for a run. Only 75.5 for the week and 2500 seems to be out of reach now. Have a great Christmas everyone. 
  • Options
    Gul, that's a big week by any standards.

14 and a bit for me today, up in the woods so all slow stuff but very enjoyable. I tried out my new ASICS GEL-FUJIPRO shoes which are supposed to be hybrid shoes so suitable for road and trail. Very nice for trail so good grips etc and a neat little pouch in the tongue to cover the laces so they stay clean and can be undone at the end but almost totally useless on the road: the grips are way too hard and just slide on wet tarmac and no cushioning at all. Will have to plan routes that are close to 100% off road to use them properly. 

The route went through a local village called Christmas Common which I thought suitable for today.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas everyone - back to regular posting (and running) soon  . . . . 

5.5 today to scrape 20 for the week (in 3 runs). 1343 ytd . . .   
  • Options
    Happy Christmas Eve everyone!!

Sounds like a fitting finish to the year for you there Badbark - you've had a really successful 2017 so I hope you can go from strength to strength and have an even better one in 2018.

Nice double from you there OO - sharp 10K result with added bonus of the beer.

Another good mileage week for you Gul - hope you had a good Xmas lunch.

I know what you mean PMJ - it's tricky to find a shoe that can do both. I use Saucony Peregrine which are pretty good in the mud, but also fine on the roads to get to the off-road section.

Great parkrun result Sub17pr. I managed to scrape sub-20 on a very muddy and slippery course on Saturday - perhaps my choice of road racing shoes wasn't the best option! :o

Which part of the Emerald Isle will you be in GM? In my experience, there's no shortage of great running routes wherever you are

11 trail miles with a couple of mates this morning to bring up 36 for the week. Xmas prep going well so far with the bread sauce made and the turkey stuffed so I should have time for an hour's run around 6.30am tomorrow before it's time to put the oven on and get the bird in there.

• Options
    Merry Christmas to everyone. 

Lorenzo - I'm in Dublin. My mum's house is about 1k from the war memorial park along the banks of the river Liffey and a further 1k from the Phoenix park. Super place to run. 

10 miles this morning with an old pal down the park watching the wild deer. Loveiy and mild conditions, perfect for running. 
  • Options
    GM - sounds good. Plenty of running in Dublin when I used to travel over there frequently a few years ago. St Stephens Square was good for reps if I remember correctly. Can't beat heading out for an early morning run in Connemara though!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Merry Christmas folks thanks for great company all year.
    Keswick parkrun here with the whole family.
    cracking time sub 17. You too Lorenzo- I managed a similar time.
  • Options
    OO54 said:
    Merry Christmas folks thanks for great company all year.
    Keswick parkrun here with the whole family.
    cracking time sub 17. You too Lorenzo- I managed a similar time.
    Got confused there for a minute and thought you had gone sub-17 and not sub-17 had gone sub-18.

Merry Christmas to all.
  • Options
    5 miles XC for me this morning in the wind and rain. Pure filth but certainly woke me up. Merry Christmas all.
  • Options
    Pure filth here too, but 220 turned out for multi terrain col wet very muddy technically challenging XC, a.k.a. the local parkrun. Inconceivable that so many would have exercised on Xmas day before the advent of parkrun. Slow 21.06 but still undefeated as an EOG. Hope you’ve all had a great day.
  • Options

Poacher - Well done on the xmas muddy Parkrunning

GM – That sounds like a great xmas morning run! Nice 10 miler too.

OO – I hope you enjoyed the family Parkrunning. Well don on the 1st v50 in the 10k.

Lorenzo – 11 trail miles with mates sounds like an enjoyable run. I hope you managed your planned xmas run and your cooking went well.

Birch – Good to read you’ll sound be back to running and posting normally again.

PMJ – Nice 14 trail miles banked. Shame your shoes aren’t as hybrid as expected.

Gul –‘Only’ and ’75.5’ shouldn’t be in the same sentence. I hope you can still manage the 2500 goal.

Sub17Parkrun – Fantastic Parkrun time and result. You are a flying machine

I never would have believed when I started running in 2009, that my best year would be 2017, at the age of 48. I’d have believed it even less in 2016, when I couldn’t run for months due to a malignant melanoma. However, without a doubt this year has been by far my best running year.

I’m going to run my highest total mileage of 3,600+ miles and haven’t had the slightest niggle. I’ve run a PB in 5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon, 50k, 50 mile and my longest ever run of 134 miles in a 24 hr event.

I’ve completed 35 parkruns, 7 x 10ks, 7 x half marathons, 14 marathons (1more to come), 3 ultra-marathons and a few other shorter distances and cross country races.  

I finished 5th in my age group in the British Masters Marathon Championships and 11th in my age group in the World 24 Hour Championships. I finished 60th overall man in the World 24 Hour Championships. I won the NI half marathon series for my age group picking up £200. I won 7 low key marathons, a 10k and many other podiums places and age group prizes throughout the year.

On Saturday I’m running my 18th marathon (or ultra) for the year, which will be my 55th overall, heading towards my goal of 100. I still absolutely love running and intend to continue for many years to come! :)

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    what a year, Badbark - may you fulfil your aim of continuing for many years - I love reading of your exploits :)  

4 miles with my daughter in the chilly , bright sunshine this morning  . . . .   
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Your are right PMJ confusing- that would be a miracle!
    we have really enjoyed your fantastic year BB it’s quite amazing.
    5 mile plod here not feeling great but try again tomorrow.