Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    VLM18 campaign is now underway but not an ideal start. Body still aching with the virus/bug thing I've had all Christmas but managed 5 muddy miles yesterday in an attempt to sweat out the bug and kick the campaign off. 

Considering the groin injury had the best part of 2 weeks doing nothing, it played up quite a bit. I'm hoping it was just things re-adjusting and settling down.
    back to work today, not feeling great about anything.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good luck to those at the start of their 16 week VLM plans.  Fingers crossed I will be with OO and Gerard at Parliament Hill.  If I do make any races it will be more for the experience than to race, but it would be nice to get back out there all the same. Ankle is much much better and it was up to doing some yoga and standing S&C work today.  Also did my daily core in the absence of being able to run.

Hope you all get rid of the lurgies soon.  There have been some really dreadful viruses being passed around.  Our household was pretty unwell over December.

Sounds like you need to take it easy a bit longer, GD.  Try not to panic as it will only stress your body more and hinder recovery.  I am not surprised a groin injury can seem worse for time off.  Unless you were doing hip openers and yoga during this time, I suspect the sitting will have made it all a bit tight and closed in that area.  Maybe some gentle runners' lunges will help?

I'm currently sitting in a hospital room waiting for MsEsq to return from the operating theatre.  He dislocated his other shoulder a month ago playing rugby and is back in for reconstruction surgery.  We have had a rather busy time in our household as this was after MrE fell off a ladder and (guess what?) completely tore his ATFL while landing awkwardly on his ankle. Luckily his wife can advise him on what to do to treat it as she has recent first hand experience. Groundhog Day.... 
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Everyone,

Just checking in even though I haven't been able to run much. I'm still nursing my chronic hips I'm afraid.  Running is very limited and inevitably results in pain to some degree or other.  It's been a year a half and despite various rehab strategies, nothing is really working.  

2018 was very bad running wise - I got personal worsts  in all three events I ran: marathon of 3:56, half marathon 2:06, 10km forgettable except for being overtaken by a local MV70 pushing his wife in wheelchair.  

Take care all and best wishes for training and all your Marathons and other races in 2018
  • Typing this with a mask on to avoid all the germs! Hope all those laid low at the moment recover and are back out running at full speed again soon.

Freemers - I bet that there's some lovely running to be done in the Cotswolds so fingers crossed that you can enjoy it.

BI - sounds like last year was rather grim but it's a bit glass half empty to say that "2018 was very bad running wise" ;) Seriously though, I really hope that things start to look up for you over the next few months - if it just running that's affected or are the problems with the hips impacting on cycling, swimming etc?

OO, GM, MsE - I'm planning to be at Parliament Hill as well. Younger Lorenzito will definitely be running and I'm very very tempted to take part as well, if only to say that I've competed in a National Championship event! :)

4.5 steady this morning - should be able to get in about 10 tomorrow across various commuting runs.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - Excellent time for your 11k. A great way to start the year! Just to clarify, I won't be at Parliament hill. Our club may have a runners there but I sadly won't be, not this year anyway. 

Bike it - Sorry to hear that. I hope you have a much better year this year. 

Freemers - Have fun in the Cotswolds. 

MsE - Cripes! What horrendous luck. 

G-Dawg - The lurgy that has been going around here is a 3 week'er, horrible altogether. Get well soon. 

Easy 5k today up a steep hill and back down and into the wind and rain, Lovely!. Felt good today.Looks like a bad storm is on it's way, as if it hasn't been bad enough. Meanwhile the weather in Eastliegh is looking  much calmer for the weekend. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Gerard thought you were up for the smack down ;)
    I’m rubbish at XC by the way 
  • Poacher - those prices are bonkers. I had thought of Manchester as a vague possibility one year, but not now! Well done on notching up another mara in wintry conditions.
    Lorenzo - glad your eye's okay. Nice story.
    GD - get well soon!
    Badbark - awesome miles.
    Leslie - lurgy now too - oh no!
    MsE - sorry to hear about your set back and the rest of your family's injuries too! You are having a rough time.
    PMJ - nice parkrun double.
    Jools - good to hear from you again; happy new year!
    GM - good running!
    Freemers - have a good holiday.
    Bike It - you have shown some amazing determination over 2017; hope your persistence pays off this year.
    No running since Friday for me as the lurgy finished me off after the niggle, so having a week off to start the year! Looking forward to 2018. All the best everyone.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Forced myself out last night with the idea of sweating the last bit of lurgy out. Felt heavy but just collected the miles, 7 of them at 7.23 pace.

MsE may have been right in that my groin had been bad in the run the day before due to it doing nothing for 12 days previously, felt much better last night, just a bit stiff when I'd finished.

It was also the first outing for my new head torch. What a great gadget. Some parts of my night routes are particularly dark and the Petzl Reactik was excellent.

Get well soon fellow lurgy chums.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    race entry fees (city, or "corporate") ones, at any rate, are another example of events, or products, which were once affordable, but have become exhorbitant.  
    eg - rock concerts, sports events, - the cost of these, I would say, has increased way beyond the rate of inflation over the last 10 years or so. Running shoes - the latest Asics Nimbus & Kayano are around the £150 mark !!!  simple bar meals doubling in price as they're dubbed "artisan" and served on a piece of wood, etc) .  I could go on (and I do "go on" )  :)
    . . .    

anyway, started the year as I mean (hope) to go on - 8 on Monday, 12 yesterday   . Mondays 8 included a few tentative strideouts, with no reaction from hamstring - now entering 8th month of "issues" with it (not wishing to alarm Jools)  ;) 

have a great year, everyone . . . .     
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I asked myself the same question Lorenzo - cycling still causes a reaction but lesser than running - swimming in my house is just messing around in the pool so I don't know.  So the volume of allowable exercise is very small

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Sorry to read about all the lurgy and a few injuries. Get well soon everyone!

I've my first A race of the year booked, which is a 105+ mile Ultra from Belfast to Dublin. It's over the Easter weekend at the end of March, and I've 5 marathons and 2 half marathons before then.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice easy start to the year then B.B.!
    Gul and Birch, did you mention your year end mileage totals?

I turned 55 today, and a nice little 6 miler to cheer me up.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Bah, I was enjoying being (probably) the fastest EOG55 on here. Now it’s back to being a nobody.

BI sorry to hear that. Presumably Comrades is out. Good luck with recovery. 

Birch - if you ditch the food and eat the wood instead it’s a lot cheaper.

5m slow on the beach tonight. Chuffing cold and blowing a hooly, loads of decent sized birds around at the moment like migrating geese, curlew, etc but some were actually flying backwards in the wind.
  • Happy birthday OO54 (shouldn't it be OO55 now?) - loved the cake pic on FB!

Nice choice of race there Badbark!

Birch - sounds as though you're back in good form.

G-Dawg - night running is great fun isn't it? Everything looks and sounds very different to what it does in daylight. Glad the lurgy's gone.

You're never a nobody Poacher! Hope that the storm didn't hit too badly

Total of 12.5 miles worth of commuting running for me today - am planning a stretching session tomorrow rather than heading out for a run.
  • Hello! Newbie to the forum here, and a returner to running. Unfortunately I stopped running last year after some knee issues, but after finding out I’d won a ballot place in the London marathon (total shock after six years of entering!) I’m tentatively back into running 5-10k distances and I’m starting a training program. It’ll be my third marathon but I’m terrible at sticking to training so hoping this will provide some encouragement and motivation! Good luck to everyone else with training for upcoming marathons - any tips for training/gear would be very welcome :-) 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Haha, ye mad thing! That run finishes at my home turf. Grew up not far from St James's gate i.e. Guinness brewery. :smiley:

Birch - A great start to the year! 

OO - Happy birthday! A nice glass of red tonight? Your WAVA will go through the roof this year if you keep knocking out those fast 5/10k's. 

Poacher - Your legend continues to live on! The storm hit us fairly bad last night and combined with a huge high tide this a.m. at 7, the main road from the west which runs along the prom was closed off for 2 hours. First day back at work/school for many, meant chaos. Luckily I live North east of town so I didn't affect me. Nice beach run and bird spotting! When I was out running along the seafront on NYD i could see the birds just hanging vertically, not moving forward at all, it was about gale force 8-9 and I was asking myself, why oh why, but it was quite a good feeling once I decided to banish any thoughts of turning around but when I did......... I was flying like a bird! :)

Lorenzo - Excellent commuting mileage logged for the start of the year. 

G-Dawg - That's a very decent 7 miler whilst under the cloud of lurgy! 

Zero carded here today as I was too busy in work and was gutted I couldn't run as it was sunny but still very windy. My body will thank me though, as I think I might have needed some recovery as I've felt quite tired this evening. I hope to get out for a jog in the wind and rain tomorrow. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Really sorry to hear your injury news, BI. What is the current outlook and treatment protocol you are on?  If there is something I can do, I manage to stay optimistic.  But if there is a dead end, I think I might cry in the corner. I hope it is the former for you.

Lorenzo - as the nationals are in 6 weeks, I may not be heading there depending on how long my ankle takes to recover from this setback.  You should definitely go though. Mucho fun and a nice hilly course.  If you need any recommendations for online yoga, shout out.  Good to hear you are focusing on stretching.  Is this one of your new year's resolutions?

Gerard - no mention of the (shhhh) planter fasciitis.  Has it gone now?  Enforced rest days are not such a bad thing.  You could have a handy home strength circuit or stretching/yoga workout for those moments?  It helps to feel like you have used the time resourcefully as it all helps towards the goal of running well.

Gul - get well soon.  Sensible approach into 2018.

GM - glad to hear the groin has settled into it again.  

Birch - good to hear the miles are coming back to you.  Have you seen this film?  I imagine the silver haired fox to be much like you. Flying along but completely dissatisfied with yourself all the same. https://www.nowness.com/picks/the-runners-matan-rochlitz-ivo-gormley

BB - a nice easy one to get the year started then?  ;)

OO - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  You are almost exactly 10 years older than me as my birthday is in 20 days.  Looking forward to heading into a new age group where, if I manage to get back to racing, I will be in the younger range of the bracket.

Poacher - cannot believe you didn't get blown away running in Storm Eleanor.  Kudos.

Welcome to the board, Kewri.  Tell us more about your running background so we don't end up telling you what you already know.  They are a friendly bunch on here. So much so, I have never wanted to move on.
  • BB - total madness but I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

OO - happy birthday (and don't you need to change your forum name?)

GD - well done for getting out there with the lurgy.  That's more than I have done - I think the return to commuting and sitting in the office is making my cold worse!  Felt total crap yesterday and not much better this morning.  So decided to bin the runs which would just be rubbish, and just look forward to 5pm this afternoon which is when I am catching a train to Oxfordshire for the start of our holiday.  We're in a B&B overnight (OH does the drive down with the dog), then Cotswolds from tomorrow.  I will definitely be running from tomorrow onwards!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ha - thanks, MsE - yes, "getting slower every year - it feels terrible"   just about sums it up - but I still have hair :)    foxy?   that's for others to judge ;) 

• GD - excellent run considering you're still recovering from the lurgy.
    Birch - great start to the year; 16 yesterday and 20 today by any chance?
    Badbark - glad to see you're stacking them up already!
    OO - many happy returns, same day as my sister. I ended 2017 on 2464.
    Poacher - still the top ornithologist.
    Lorenzo - enjoy the stretching - is that going to be a regular part of a new training schedule?
    Kewri - welcome to the thread! My tip would be to take the comeback very slowly (I suspect you already know that) but with London coming up in April that makes it very difficult!
    GM - hope you manage to get out today.
    MsE - I'm not rushing back into the training, certainly.
    Freemers - hope you're feeling better for your holiday.
    I don't think I would have enough energy to run much this week so just trying to rest up.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
     . . .    good wishes to your son, MsE - really bad luck again  . . .    

Birthday greetings to OO - a few V55 prizes heading your way, we hope (expect) . . .   oh, as you asked, year's total for 2017 was 1,363 . . .     pretty meagre, but coincidentally, divided by 52, it gives a 26.2 mpw average  . . . . .   
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

MsE - The PF lasted about 6 weeks from start to finish. It's odd like that, just comes and goes without any warning. The trigger point on the sole of my foot stopped hurting for a short time after the acupuncture but hurt during the 2nd half of the marathon. It settled down not too long afterwards but I had a residual dull throbby feeling in the back of the heel and ankle for a while afterwards. It's been ok for about a month or so now.

Gul - Sounds like you need the rest. Are you back in work?

3.5 miles on lunch today at bang on 7mm. Felt harder than it should of because of the gale force wind. Sorry I keep banging on about this but it's just weird that it's been consistently bad for ages. We got the below notification from the EAA today re the XC on Saturday. It's gonna be a mud fest by the sound of it. I've got my 12mm's at the ready.

As a result of the recent heavy rainfall, the course conditions will be extremely wet underfoot and athletes are advised where possible to wear long spikes.

Spectators are also advised to wear suitable waterproof footwear.

Although the course will remain substantially the same, a few minor modifications will be made to avoid the worst of the conditions.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's incredible Gul- we ended 2017 on the same mileage! Well actually I was 1 mile more (2465) but we'll call it a tie on rounding ;)

Freemers- if I could change my username I would but the field is blocked now so it seems not to be an option. My age will have to be frozen in time.

Welcome Kewri- the best advice is just to stick around and benefit from all these experienced folks. If you have a specific question or can give more background on your self and you previous training it will help. Great to have you in any case.

Yes Poacher I'm here to taunt and tease you at every turn now we are both V55 ;) I can't wait to get my first parkrun WAVA this weekend- back to in 80's I hope. At my last race on New Years day I had a cracking race but only managed 2nd V50, but I was 1 minute ahead of the next V55 so it all looks good, at least for a while.  

You are a handsome devil Birch but you do remind me of a well known gardening presenter ;)

Nice to hear from you Bike it....

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks OO - maybe as well I'm unfamiliar with such programmes :)  

the VoGit legs were very ungrateful for the rest I gave them yesterday, being very unresponsive on today's 6 miler, but at least its done and in the diary !  

Gerard - looks like your spikes were definitely a wise purchase  . . .
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - You remind me of a younger Roger Waters, Bet you're like the coolest Dad. Re the spikes, yes, had to be done and it wouldn't be quite the same experience just running in trail shoes. 

Kewri - Welcome on board and as others have said, it's friendly around here and lots to be taken from others experience. 

A snap for the local press below of some of the Jersey Spartan Hampshire XC 2018 squad. I'm on my knees (hopefully will stay afoot on Sat) on the bottom far right with the suit and scarf on, but note the trainers. :) 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A belated happy birthday to OO

Welcome, Kewri

BI: I echo everything that has been said.  I hope there is some way forward for you.

Just 4.5 miles for me yesterday, as I was absolutely exhausted: slept appallingly the night before and didn't drink enough water during the day.  Slept like a log last night!
  • Birch - x-post yesterday. Those locks are very impressive. Gardening presenter, Roger Waters or maybe Jon Pertwee?! Like the mpw too.
    GM - yes, I'm back at work, just a bit lethargic (probably because I haven't been running). Sounds like it will be fun on Saturday!
    OO - very gracious of you to call it a tie. Good racing - must have been a quality field.
    Jools - hope the sleep did you good!
    Hoping I will be back to normal for next week.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

I was thinking Monty Don, except for the grey hair ;)

My last week of 2017 was tapering for my 11K race Gul- so you threw away an easy win there ;)

I had a brutal track session yesterday (9*500M) and a gently recovery 5 miler today. Hoping to blast a V55 first parkrun tomorrow (if not cancelled AGAIN) and an easy 16 Sunday will get me back in the 50's as marathon madness begins. Still got a few pounds to shift though and a B/day cake to eat..... 

Remind me Jools are you VLM this year?

You look more like a football team Gerard!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I am at VLM this year, OO - just hoping I can get myself into half decent shape as long as I'm back at full strength by early February!