Sub 3h15

Comments

• Now potential thunderstorms forecast for Sunday. C'est la vie.

Does anyone here run marathons in sunglasses? I have a cap but I think sunnies might fall into the 'no new kit on marathon day' mantra
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think there is still enough time for sundays weather to not be quite so glorious. There is a very big difference between 20c and overcast and 20c and bright sunshine.

I sometimes run in sunglasses and they take some getting used to. If you were going to chance it on race day then pick up a pair that you are happy to throw if not working out.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    OO54 said:

Is electrolyte basically salt?   

Electrolyte powder - Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sulphate, Calcium Di Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide

Taking only salt can cause an electrolyte imbalance
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Sunnies are good if they are a good fit, squinting for 3.5 hours in the sun is no good. Ones without a rubber nosepiece that will slide around are not good though.

Old school Oakley M frame style are good 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

I've been debating with myself about Sunnies & Visor/Cap all week however I think I'm going to stick to the 'nothing new on raceday' rule. Also been considering a change of outfit, was going to wear a short sleeve baselayer under my charity vest but not sure now! I guess as I haven't trained in just the vest it would be asking for trouble to change.

3m at MP tonight - will be good to get out in the sunshine!

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Stevie I 100% recommend just the vest. Without a doubt.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

stevie, I would wear as little as possible given the forecast. I have purchased a visor but it's cost me £8 and so if it annoys me it will just be thrown.

I'd be a little more reluctant to do that with my oakleys though.

Will not wearing a base layer under your vest cause an issue?

I recall this time last year we were all sat on a forecast of snow for London. That disappeared and we were left with near perfect conditions.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

I'm just not sure about chaffing issues having not worn it on its own (I haven't worn it at all as I was always expecting to wear the baselayer underneath.)

I will trial it tonight in my MP run although 25mins ish isn't really enough

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Nip plasters and vaseline/lanacane anti-chafe/bodyglide around the armpits and you should be bulletproof.

Honestly, Brighton HM was hovering around freezing and I was still glad I was just in a vest. If I wasn't so pasty; I'd be taping my running number to my skin to wear even less!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Went to the Expo. The New Balance merch is rather expensive. Didn't stop some spending literally £100s. 
    Picked up a long sleeved top for a memento and had a mooch around. Got my Nuun tabs, (started on them already) and some Clif bars and blocks.

Saw David Weir, Charlie Steve Jones and Martin Yelling on the stage being interviewed or giving talks.

Got my number. Blue start Pen 1. Up there with the quick folk, so best not get carried away in the first mile and join them!!  :D
  • Also an Expo yesterday evening but resisted the temptation to buy anything other than some socks and the annual pre-London stash of beet shots. Plenty of free samples though! 

Will be Green pen 2 so will hopefully be able to spot G-Dawg as the 2 routes converge. Will you be in your usual subtle coloured vest? 

Definitely just a vest - standard racing gear unless it's a sub-zero XC race. Looks like it might be on the warm side, but hopefully we'll all be finished before the temperature peaks. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Expo today. Drove south y’day, shocked at how hot it is. Could be a deal breaker for those who have trained in the cool and want to push for a fast one.  Late April is nice for spectators but generally later in the year than is good for running. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    we need Monday's weather to blow in a bit ahead of schedule as that looks much more appealing!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Vest felt good last night so ill just be wearing that. Ordered some nip plasters so should be fine. Looks like there will be a breeze so that will help.

Getting sunnies tonight to trial out tomorrow, feeling prepared now!

3.4m MP last night went 7.19, 7.19, 7.15 so happy with that. Should be able to maintain pace a bit better with people around me.

• Hi again guys, feel you for lot doing London as its going to be record temps so start slow people.

Quick question - Have any of you progressed from breaking 3.15 to close to 3 or under? If so did you do anything different or was it a natural progression? I'd quite like to break 3hrs just not sure how much extra i'll need to do for my next period if anything?

Thinking of entering Brighton again next year (£65! ffs), and having a go at low 3s or even sub 3. Just want to see if that's realistic or not.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I'll let you know on Sunday afternooon Pibster !

Quick in and out to the expo yesterday, a record low spend of £7. Don't forget to pick up a big stash of free pint vouchers when you get your race number.

Also hoping for Monday forecast to move to Sunday; that would be just great.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yes, Lorenzo, the rather understated, blend into the background tango club vest will be on my back.  B)

Pibster - I got my first GFA in Brighton (3.13) a couple of years ago and have just chipped away at my time ever since. Now down to 3.09 but my form says I could possibly do 3.03 to 3.05 in good conditions, but Sunday will not be that day unless the weather changes drastically.

I'm now 50 and knocked out an untapered HM of 1.25 in March, so I feel I'm in the right ball park for a 3.05. Sub-3 is not on my Radar at all, it seems too big a jump for me and to be honest, has never really been an ambition.

Have decided to take it easy and run on feel on Sunday rather than be dictated to by the watch.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Pibster, I did London in 2014 in 3.18. In 16 I did 3.08 and last year 3.04. I'm fairly sure in good conditions I'm pushing sub 3 now.

at the same time all my other times improved so my half was around 1.31 and now 1.22/23 and my 10k was 41 and now mid to low 38.

I've followed various different training cycles which will all have contributed but ultimately I think it comes down to consistency and patience for me at least. 

Sensible G dawg. I'm bordering on making a similar decision. 
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭

Red Start

Nicko1981 (58559) - Bald, blue shorts plain white vest (possibly with "Portable Toilets Ltd" logo). A goal: 3:05 (GFA and BQ), B Goal: 3:10 (PB by 2 mins), C: goal sub 3:20 (course PB)

Blue Start
    DT (25637). A goal - sub 3, B goal- PB (3.04.45 currently), C goal- Sub 3.15 to renew GFA.
    Stevie (13158) Red & White Myton hospices vest- white shorts A Goal: 3.15 B Goal Sub 3.30 C Goal: Finish

Green Start

Lorenzo (26694) - red and white British Heart Foundation vest. A goal: sub-3:05 (PB), B goal: sub-3:10 (beating last year), C goal: sub 3:20 (GFA time?)

Poacher (26709) 
    AndyLid (26823) - yellow Thomas Theyer Foundation vest with "Liddy" on front. A goal: sub 3:10, B goal: sub 3:15, C goal: Finish

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Grrrrrrr, 12c and cloudy at 10am Monday morning!!!
  • I spent a grand total of £0 at the expo yesterday. Very nearly caved and bought some gels and shorts but I walked in to the event literally muttering "don't spend any money". I'm rather proud of myself and feel as though I've earned a trip to my local running shop after the race.

Red start pen 3 for me. Could be better, could be worse and might control my speed a bit better in the early miles. Will aim to set off at 7.15 m/m pace and see how we go. Must remember to run to feel and not timings though.

For anyone not here London is absolutely baking today (28 degrees by mid afternoon). Can't remember a warmer April day. Current forecast is 18-22 for Sunday 10am-2pm with mild SW winds and a bit of cloud cover. I'd take it given the circumstances
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Next time you see this....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Radio said today is the hottest April day in 70 years!

I've read some advice that to acclimatise faster we should be spending as much time as possible outdoors, sitting in steam rooms, hot baths, or anything else that can be uncomfortably hot.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Poacher said:
    Next time you see this....

Please note: If you're looking from that angle, you've taken a wrong turn!

Gonna hit a 5k today at race pace in the heat. Either a bad or good idea,
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Wrong turn...or lying flat on one's back having thrown in the towel...

It's very hot in London. Walking back from Tower Gateway towards London Bridge I went under the 23 mile gantry. I don't remember ever seeing it before, which say everything about one's state of mind so deep into the race.  22 and 23 are the cruellest miles.

Take care everyone, fast times may be off the agenda in favour of just getting round respectably and with one's health intact.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    That 23 mile marker is my "you're probably going to make it" sign - just a parkrun distance to go! Nice little bit of downhill there to pick up the spirits too.

Working near the Mall today so went over to St James' Park for a 3mi near the finish line - big mistake, so busy with sunworshippers/tourists and the Commonwealth VIP visit situation. Managed a 6:34 first mile despite the weaving, couldn't keep that up in the heat though; ended up with a 6:50 average though I did have to pause the watch 2/3 times either for a recovery breath or to get through a tourist throng. So, so, hot - it does look like Monday's weather may creep in to Sunday now though.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Keep some of them matches in the box.....

I did once see a fella not make it after he had passed the 26m marker, in fact he got to about 50 metres from the finish before the lights went out.  Shades of 1908.  However that's NOT going to happen to any of us on Sunday.

Still debating fancy dress or civvies - might decide on the day.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    just seen, dlr strike off. Weather is slowly looking more acceptable. A bit more cloud and a 3c temp drop and we will be ok.

4 miles with strides over lunch which was painfully warm. That's me done. off to London first thing. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Car reported 28 degrees on the way home. Nipped straight out for a 3 miler with some strides in the middle.

That's me cooked now. Carbo-loading proper started today and I've been dropping Nuun tabs into my water bottle at work to build my electrolytes up before Sunday.

I like the Yahoo weather site the best. Currently tops Sunday at 19 degrees.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    The forecast is looking ok for Sunday. Most of you guys will be done and dusted before it gets too warm. Today would not have been a good day for a long run. 

MsE - Amazing re your friend in Boston. It looked hideous. How are you doing?