Sub 3h15

Comments

• Happy birthday Poacher - hope you've had a good one!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Poacher Happy birthday ,those old gits at your club are certainly fast ! 2:39 at 50 can I have some of what they are on ...
    5 (not yet an old git but run like one) miles last night 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - something to aim for is always good.
    Badbark - stonking interval session.
    Poacher - yes, those are some impressive records.
    SBD - should be good to give it a blast at Silverstone.
    Leslie - but you are slowly improving, so can't be classified as an ?OGIT.
    9 easy miles. Missed bagging another accidental progressive by 1/100th of a second. Miles 5-7 recorded as 7:55.99, 7:55.98 and 7:55.98! Another 4 easy miles to work via Tesco to buy some buns for the office.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - :D

SBD - IS the 10k on the racing circuit at Silverstone? Will be great to give it a blast, fast 10k's can really hurt but in a very different way to a marathon if you know what I mean.

Not the best of running day's for me yesterday. I had quite a nasty fall. I was coming down a very steep hill fast, it was wet and as I came round a very sharp steep bend I ran on the road and lost my footing on a fuel spill. I skidded about 5m's on my ass and elbows first and then flipped over and rolled down another 5-10m's. Unbelievable that I am not seriously hurt, just lost lots of layers of skin and a bit of bruising. So lucky there was no vehicle on the road as I think it would have been game over had there been as I had no control whatsoever of my body. I just literally went into free fall. Won't be risking that kind of thing ever again!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    blimey, Gerard - that's nasty - but could have been a lot worse !  take it easy  . . . .

happy Birthday, Gul :)
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lucky escape, Gerard.  Hope you're not in too much pain.

Happy birthday Gul.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - thank goodness there was nothing coming. Hope you're feeling okay. Take care now.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

All the best Poacher!

I had a similar discussion with my wife about NY Jools- it went rather well not surprisingly. Though she can't see why I want to go back in April for Boston...

I saw the article about Nordic walking in Parkrun news- my skipping will catch on soon enough.

Not feeling too hopeful for the weekend (5K track, then brutal 1/2M) but track session tonight should be a good indicator.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I also checked back in my running book. 23 Maras so far, of which 14 were in London, 6 in France (4 Paris), + Hull, Newcastle & Barca.  Still a novice really ;)   
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Gul!

Ouch Gerard that sounds painful. Lucky escape, rest up and take care

• GerardM said:

SBD - IS the 10k on the racing circuit at Silverstone? Will be great to give it a blast, fast 10k's can really hurt but in a very different way to a marathon if you know what I mean.

It is two laps of the track. Takes me back to the days when I was a bit faster and even then I was only the second fastest P Jones on the night, but 33:59 was magical nip under the whole minute job. 

http://www.silsonac.org.uk/images/uploaddocs/10k_results_1994.pdf
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great results there PMJ, nippy stuff. That was just one month after I recorded a 5.05 at the Nutrisweet London Marathon, the first ever finish on The Mall. My next marathon would be 12 years later.  :)

Crikey GM, that's bloody scary! I hope you're OK, old son? Sounds more like a bike crash at Le Tour rather than running tumble. A good bottle of vino and a big bag of crisps will help take the sting out of those wounds. 

Spent a tough day by the pool today. Went in it once to cool off. Pre dinner rosè going down a treat as I sit on the large balcony overlooking the pool and the sea. I'm sure I impressed my fellow pool dwellers as I read the P&D Advanced Marathoning book this afternoon. (saddo alert!)  :D

Looks like it's warm weather this weekend when we fly back to Blighty. I'm raring to go on the running front and am looking forward to some varied, no pressure stuff for the next few weeks before the next campaign starts. Cheers!! B)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Careful now GM, that’s a scary one. Too fast for your own good.  

Working all night, doh, but 20m reasonably strenuous on the bike
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like an excellent holiday G Dawg- are you getting fat?

Hope you are OK today GM- how are the wounds feeling?

I had a lackluster track session last night, my speed seems to have evaporated. Not too hopeful for my track 5k tomorrow, but can't wait for a warm weekend in the Lakes.    

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    GUL happy belated Birthday ,any new ogit category yet for you ?
    Gerard recover well ,sorry to hear that .
    0054 an impressive mara tally there but more work to do on the Boston negotiations to make 24 !
    PMJ a cracking pb for 10k.
    Gdawg you have improved a lot since then.

5 easy slowly improving ones.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Feeling a bit of a youngster with all these birthdays! We were discussing Vegas last night for my 30th next August. Girlfriend was not impressed when I had a quick google to see when the marathon was!

Need to get some discipline back in my training. Meant to do 5 easy miles last night, couldn't bring myself to hold back to 8mm so ended up being progressive. Then threw a 800m section in at target 5k pace (5.45). Need to be careful I don't tire my legs out for next weeks half.

Will try and get out for 10 at the weekend if I get time

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - looks like a quality field. Was that a PB?
    GD - have a good flight and bring back the weather please.
    Poacher - nice bike miles.
    OO - hope you find some speed tomorrow and endurance for Sunday.
    Leslie - no, still a F(airly)OldGit by my reckoning (52).
    Stevie - young whippersnapper!
    A bit of a bizarre one this morning. I was clocking up some steady miles and reckoned I had time for 9 in all, but the time on my watch was about 4 minutes over what I was expecting (or maybe 1/2 a mile short), so had to settle for 8.5 miles. Then to top it off my watch somehow managed to lose the session so I'll never know what happened. Followed it up with 5.5 miles to work.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Hey guys, cheers and thanks very much for the healing vibes. I ran yesterday so all good apart from looking like I've been attached by a zombie or a ninja. :D

Gul - Happy belated. Re your watch, that's so annoying when that happens.

OO - Good luck with your 5k and half! Knowing you they will be fast! :)

PMJ - I like the sound of that course. That's a quality race and nicely dipped under 34, that's quite rapid. One of your then club mates was very handy with a sub 31 10k. Do you not fancy a 10k race?

G-Dawg - Sounds like you made the most of it over there. Yes, it's looking great over here too got the weekend, and about time too, other than those freak few days in London recently.

Leslie - More progress being made.

I'm hoping my legs are ok for Sunday as I am looking forward to doing a race longer than a 10k. The forecast has improved some more here and it looks like it could be a very warm one but it's only a 10 miler so it shouldn't be too  much of an issue.

• GerardM said:

PMJ - I like the sound of that course. That's a quality race and nicely dipped under 34, that's quite rapid. One of your then club mates was very handy with a sub 31 10k. Do you not fancy a 10k race

Gul Darr said:
    PMJ - looks like a quality field. Was that a PB?

Gul, I think that is my 10k PB, can't find any faster ones.

GM, yes he went sub 30 for 10k and 2:25 for the marathon but stopped running. http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=881
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I've yet to run Silverstone - but may struggle to get near PMJ's 1994 time!  They usually run a Half Marathon on the circuit in March but this didn't take place in 2018.  Four laps sounds a bit boring bit two should be fun.  There's a pretty strong field - so 111 ran under 40 minutes last year. 

It would be nice to get the time below 40 minutes but we'll see how the legs are feeling on the day.

Scary incident there Gerard - good to see you came off relatively lightly!  Hopefully you'll be fit to race on Sunday.

Strange timings Gul but good mid-week miles nevertheless.  And belated Birthday greetings.

Speedy stuff on the last 800m Stevie.

Building nicely Leslie.

Good luck with the HM OO. A scenic course but sounds tough.

7 miles today with the middle 3.1 miles at tempo pace which came out at 6:15 pace.  Heart rate relatively controlled which is unusual post marathon.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - pleased to hear you seem to be okay. Good luck tomorrow.
    PMJ - I thought you would be certain of your PB. Very impressive.
    SBD - great tempo pace.
    21 miles this morning. 18 @ 8:41 and 3 @ 7:33. 85 for the week so far; debating whether or not to have a rest day tomorrow. 
    Good luck to OO and anyone else racing this weekend. Have a great Bank Holiday everyone.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Stevie that's some 5k pace 5:45 !!! Would make you about the fastest on here id think .
    Gul 14m before work outrageous ,hope you had a sit down when there !
    Gerard get the bandages on and you will be grand .
    SBD anybody who can run sub 3 could walk a 40 min 10k ,no sandbagging now ! Annoyingly never managed to beat my 40:07 when I was in form last year officially though I ran 2 x 39.XX min tempo efforts in mara training .

Parkrun again today , another few secs quicker for 21:22 . just under 7 miles in total.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Leslie thsts target 5k pace, not sure if I can hold it for the whole distance yet!

Had a sore calf since Thursdays run so no running for me this weekend. Just plenty of stretching and foam rolling to hopefully sort it out for next week's half
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Very busy week in work this week. 

Hope you're not too battered from fall, Gerard.

good luck in your week of facing, oo and your bike challenge Lorenzo. 

Good parkrun progress, Leslie. 

Gul, good on-going mileage. 

SBD, you should be looking at sub 39 not sub 40. 

Stevie, be careful,you're still less than 2 weeks past a marathon. Your body is still recovering. 

I've done some easy miles this week and also did a systems check 4 at 160 bpm. Came out 6.34 average for 162 so I seem to still be working. I'll have another light week next week then start picking things back up. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are back on your feed Gerard- you must be made of solid stuff.
    I’ve done the Silverstone 10ka couple of times. Great course and very flat. Think 37 was my best.
    Well today’s 5k was at 4pm the hottest part of the day and breezy. I ran a very solid 18:19, even paced. Last 2 laps were tough. Having been last after the first lap I clawed back 3 or 4 places during the race. I ran a 17:44 on the same track last year but all things considered a good run.
    Keswick half up tomorrow.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GM – I hope the 10 miler went well

PMJ – That’s a fantastic 10k PB to own

SBD – Excellent tempo run. I think you’ll nail a sub 40 10k easy.

Gul – Super weekly mileage and a great long run

Stevie – Stonking Pace! I hope your niggle clears quickly

Leslie – Glad you’re making progress

OO - Excellent Park running and I hope your HM went well?

I’m running the Belfast marathon tomorrow aiming for a sub 3. I’ve done pretty much everything you shouldn’t do before a marathon! This includes running 108 miles five weeks ago and a marathon two weeks ago. Then a flat out 10k last weekend and 45 miles total this week. This week I also ran my fastest intervals of the year and a sub 19 Parkrun yesterday after getting drunk on Friday night. I cut the grass today and my carbo loading consists of ice lollies and a few jam sandwiches.  

With all this dedicated preparation I deserve a great performance! :) 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Looks textbook prep to me, BB. Go smash it!

Back home from hols and 7 easy ones on the trails for me today. Mate said I looked 'bouncy'. I'll take. that after 2 weeks off and doing my best to eat and drink Madeira into famine. 

6 weeks of base miles and we go again!  B)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - keep plugging away.
    Stevie - hope the rest and stretching etc does the trick.
    DT19 - sounds like you're in good shape.
    OO - very good 5k in the heat. Yesterday in Keswick must have been a tough one.
    Badbark - LOL! Have a great race today.
    GD - you could take that 2 ways ;)
    Rest day yesterday (except for the gardening). 18 miles this morning with 7 @ 8:32 and 11 @ 7:35.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck in Belfast B.B. gonna be hot.
    nice long one there Gul.
    Keswick was a scorcher and all times were down. I really enjoyed it. Nice steady start and picked my way through the field. 1:32 is my slowest time, but good enough for a top 20 finish and first V55Cracking weather in the lakes
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Thanks BB & Gul It seems to have cleared up, will do more stretching and rolling today and try a little run tomorrow. Should be fine for Sundays Half. Good luck in Belfast today BB! Sounds like your preparation has been perfect.

No running for me this weekend, just plenty of drinking and eating!

Great run in the heat OO, well done on the category win!