Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - I'm not surprised you feel tired. I like double runs and often do them when I have time. Lol, the shoes are Adidas Adios. The reference was to a great run in them Saturday afternoon the same day I did parkrun hungover and it certainly sorted me out. When is your next parkrun? One of my sister's mates lives near you and they seem to run very fast times on their course. Might be a bit short looking at average p

Leslie - If I was you I would do both. You need to get back in the racing game. I mean, that's why we train right? Jogging is great but racing for me is fun. 

G-Dawg - I've run in Boston Boosts for the past 3 years and still have 5 pairs. :wink: Just looking at the new Adios, they do seem a tad wider. Not as much cushion as Boost but they still feel very bouncy and light which is what I like. I can't bear clunky shoes. Nice pace for your 8. 

Nicko - I've heard that's a good one. Good luck! 

OO - Good to listen to the body. 

SBD - High 50's pw is a very good place to be especially when not in mara training. Anymore fast stuff planned? 

Lorenzo - You were in good company up there. Parly Hill sounds like a great night. Would love to be able to make it one year. 

Very easy 5k for me today on lunch in glorious sunshine. Wasn't high temps, maybe 17c but for some reason I was absolutely sweating afterwards. Forgot my cap, I always wear a cap to protect my head, maybe it was that. It's looking like it will a cracking day tomorrow so I think I'll do a beach run followed by an ice bath in the tidal pool. The water is 12c, so still feel cold enough for that kinda thing. Took in some trails the other evening and managed to capture some nice pics as I headed down to Wolf's lair, barely a soul about, magic! The hills on the cliff path are tough but very enjoyable. Defo gonna do more of this during the summer. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - sensible move.
    nick - yes, hopefully, it will be easier in a larger field.
    GM - great photos! Must be great to get out and run there. I loved Guernsey, so will have to visit Jersey someday. Is it the King's Lynn parkrun which your sister's friend goes to? Everyone I have spoken to agrees that it is a bit short on distance. However, one of the paths is often flooded and so there is an alternative course which gets used fairly regularly and that one is about right (or maybe slightly over distance?) Might see if I can go this Saturday. Hopefully the official course should be in use for a few months now until the autumn!
    8 easy and 5 steady this morning. Have got to nip into town at lunchtime, so that should be another 3.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    3 miles turned out to be 3.9x, so turned into a lunchtime tempo run.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - I've only ever been to Guernsey once. I really enjoyed it but I do think of the two, Jersey is much prettier and there's much more to it. I'm not entirely sure which parkrun it is but looking o the map I can see it's in Eaton Park? Does that ring any bells? 16.9 miles in the bank for today already is good going!

It's been a eautiful sunny day here but very windy again along the prom. Lunch run was 5 x 1k reps off 90s recovery avg pace was 5:54mm. Going out into the wind was work mode and coming back wasn't too hard holding that pace, all in all a good sesh and pretty much even paced effort.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - good work with the reps on the prom. The parkrun in Eaton Park is Norwich parkrun, which I've never done. Bit of a trek from here. I will finish off mile #17 on the way home shortly (need about 100m I reckon).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics and reps Gerard.

Gul, some more Great mileage.

Stevie, I have a guy come to my house. He has his own physio and pt thing based out in Malvern but lives by me so it's nice and easy. 

So I'm trying to pick things back up again now. Yesterday was a 5 mile recovery and then spin in evening. Today was 8 x 400m off 2 minutes. I am so poorly conditioned for these sort of efforts. It took me a 4 goes not to go off way to fast and then edge off in last 100.  I was surprised how consistent they were, all landing at 1.24-1.26. I suspect given my longer distance times I should be able to run these at sub 80 second pace, but that was more than enough today. The last few I was really hurting on.

I've also entered the Yorkshire marathon today. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Gerard looks nice but a bit remote so be careful as nobody might find you again lol ,doing the 5 miler on thurs night, your right about racing but when there is zero chance of a pb its hard to get motivated but never ran a 5 miler yet so it will be a pb no matter what !
    Gul shall I put you down as a man on a mission with all these miles,goodluck with whatever it is !
    DT careful you don't push too hard ,you should probably be capable of sub 80 sec 400's when trained for them just crank it up slowly over a few weeks ,Oh another mara fair play !
    MSE How you keeping now,any progress ? 

Club session 6 x 90 secs on , 60 secs easy jog the 90's were around 6:30 pace and about 6 miles in total.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Club speed intervals session tonight was moved to a local park, as they do with some in the summer. Hurt my hammy last night doing weighted lunges and squats, so hit the trails for a steady 6.5 miler instead as interval bursts may have caused an issue.

Lovely warm and sunny session averaging 7.05 pace and didn't need so much dinner when I got in due to the half pound of flies I swallowed en route.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - I remember that you put me to the sword at White Peak. Hill training in Norfolk will be, err, fascinating. Working in the pancake-flat Thetford area.

GM lovely pics, what a great place to run. MrsP and her mother are in Jersey this week, pretty warm by all accounts. Training in such a place will make you super strong.

No running here, but 33m on the bike today including a 20 sec pb on the dreaded 4.8m climb to the col above Buxton. I am a truly c**p cyclist but they all count.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - nice reps and well done entering the Yorkshire marathon.
    Leslie - good club session. I am indeed on a mission, but probably nothing to do with running ;)
    GD - hope the hammy is okay. Flies, yum.
    Poacher - well done on the PB. Enjoy Thetford, again. I found a Norfolk hill for my run this morning (4 to 5% maybe?)
    Early morning session was 9.5 miles with 8 x 200m efforts up a slope. Then 5.5 easy miles to work.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Can't get rid of me that easily. ;) Great re your 5 miler, I've not either, did an 8k so pretty darn close to that distance. Hard one to gauge pace wise as you can't quite go balls out and hang on like a 5k but still fun finding out.

G-Dawg - Yucky flies! I was out recently and got a fly caught right a t the back of my throat, I almost choked, it was horrible and took me a while to regain my composure.

Poacher - Yes it is great and there are so many spots like it even for such a tiny Island. It's warm and humid now but due to get sunny and hot by the weekend. Shame you couldn't pop over for a visit and a run!

DT - Good pace for the 400's and nicely done with the Yorkshire mara entry.

Gul - Is that parkrun about an hour's drive from where you are based? Great continued early miles, I've always struggled with any sort of distance early in the morning.

4.4 miles along the prom here today, warm and windy again here but a NE this time, so had it in our face coming back today. 7:3xmm avg pace and I could certainly feel yesterday's km reps in the legs.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - another solid run - lunchtime, I presume? Windy here too. Yes, Norwich parkrun would be about an hour's drive away on a good day, so would only be worth it if I was heading out that way at that sort of time really.
    8 and 6 this morning. Saturday looks too busy for parkrun, so no easing up just yet!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Gerard - Great pictures! I've never ran off road but would be tempted with views like that!

G-Dawg - Hope the hammy isn't too bad.

No running for me here, both hips have felt really tight since Sunday's half. Also feel like I have strained my right hip flexor, have been doing lots of stretching and it does feel like its easing. Was going to run a fast parkrun at the weekend but that doesn't seem like a good idea at the moment. Ironically the hips feel better walking/standing so I may go for a slow jog tomorrow to test it out.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Looks like everyone is ticking over nicely!

Stevie, when I had a hip injury in January it hurt less running than it did ambling about the place. Just take it easy as hip injuries are not quick to fix and parkrun happens every week.

I went out to run 6 at 'long tempo pace' over lunch, which is a pace slightly quicker than my usual 6.40-6.45/160bpm.

Target notionally is 6.30-6.35/165. Didn't go very well, felt really stale and laboured. By mile 2 I was feeling sick and the effort felt much harder than it should have. Decided to bin it off at 4 miles which came out 6.36/162. So actually statistically still a reasonable performance.

I'll have a rest day tomorrow before I go hard at parkrun on Saturday morning.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - Any recommendations on what to do for rehab? Did you run on it? I am very wary that both my parents had hip replacements at 40 so there may be a genetical weakness somewhere. Great running by the way, I was trying to work out what my tempo pace should be now for a 10 miler. I'm guessing slightly faster than HMP
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I worked hard on mine. It got to the point where I couldn't run on it so didn't for a few weeks. I used a mix of things-

dry needling with chiro

Sports massage and various exercises given to me by physio. Lot of glute and ql stretch and strengthening.

Hot baths

Finally at the final stages I used anti inflammatory gel and tablets for 5 days. I'd say it's worth spending money on physio.

Well assuming your half pace was 6.45, my 10 mile pace tends to be in the middle of half and 10k. Off a half pace of around 6.25, my 10 mile pace was 6.20 ish.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Steady week here topped by a hard track session yesterday. I managed 1 74 sec 400 which felt rather uncomfortable. I'm in London to watch night of the 10k PBs this weekend. Planning a new parkrun tomorrow, then a steady 8 on Sunday round Greenwich park. Saving my legs for a 3k track race on Monday. My PB last year was 10:06. Not sure I'll get anywhere near that, but maybe 10:15, but that's 1:22 laps which is a big ask.

Amazing miles Gul.

So is anyone racing this weekend?   

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That should be 1:14
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks DT, if it hasn't eased by the weekend I will book a physio appointment. I think I'll go to the one at Birmingham Uni.

That's a rapid 400 OO! The night of the 10k PBs looks a great event, enjoy!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - sorry to hear about your hip issues. I think DT's advice is sound and a good physio will be the best thing if possible.
    DT - I'm sure you'll be much better than reasonable after a bit of rest.
    OO - that's an impressive 400m. Enjoy the the Night of the 10k PBs and the new parkrun and good luck with the track race.
    Birch - not sure if you remember me mentioning about running to Bradford one of these days (just for fun, as you do)? Well, I was looking at potential routes and noticed that it passes through Rother Valley Country Park. So I must book the mara soon as it will be a good opportunity for a recce ;)
    9 easy miles with 12 x 100m strides early this morning and then a steady 6 to work.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Stevie with that family history you need to take care with those hips ,maybe run more on treadmill or grass to ease the strain.
    0054 A 74 sec 400 is shifting along nicely.
    GUL book that mara asap.

Local 5 miler race last night 33:23 and 56 place out of 179 runners with 6:45 average approx. It was 18c before the start ,a cracking day for it.
    It felt a long way and loads charged past me at the start despite me starting at 6:30 pace leaving me more or less on my own for about the next 2 miles ,I needed to ease of a bit as that was just too fast for me, it's an out and back pan flat course not even a mole hill on it and at half way I caught one runner then at 4m I caught up with my V60 teammate but couldn't get past him by more than a few yards .
    At 4.5m he came past again and we swapped lead for a couple of time till the last 100m when I put in a sprint to gain a couple of secs at the finish.
    My new club vest chaffed my nips a bit and one underarm and I remember now why I went to a compression top for running lol !!!!!!!!!! Ouch ! Enjoyed having a race again though .

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good morning miles again, Gul.
    Hope the hip sorts itself, Stevie. Not sure if already mentioned, but I had one of mine reshaped a few years ago. Transformed my running and football, although the 10 months of rehab was tough.
    Rapid 400s, OO. Enjoy the 10km evening and the South London running (where I originate).

Nice session last night. Club moved from the track and was on a local trail loop which measures 500m. Coach said to do 10 repeats in around 1.45 with 60 secs inbetween. Ran there and back for a 7 mile total.

Felt OK apart from pain all day in the left glute/lower back area. Nearly ditched the club session due to the pain but got on the roller, gave it a stretch and hoped that running movement would actually help. It did but it's back again today. Working from home, so able to stretch and roller it regularly.

Hope it's OK for tomorrow as I want to try and get my first sub-20 parkrun. Only done 8 parkruns and all on a slow course. Best is 20.01.  :D
  • OO54 said:
    That should be 1:14
    Isn't 74 seconds the same as 1:14?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - 74s per lap is pretty much bang on 5mm. It made me look back on my training log as I recall doing 8 x 400's a few months back and 75 was the target but I could only manage 78s avg, so I know how hard that must have felt! I need to do more of these kinda work outs though.

Gul - Shaping up to be another big week. Yes, that's right it was a lunch time run. I've got my boy this week so pretty much all my run's have been short lunch ones. Seen as you liked Guernsey so much, why don't you take Mrs GD back and oh there's a marathon there end of August! ;)

Leslie - Nicely done on the 5 miler and great to be back in the racing game. Was that a new club vest? I got bad nipple chaffing when I did London in 2013 but haven't had any issues in years. I always put Vaseline on though in the places that are likely to be affected.

G-Dawg - Which one do you do or which ones are fairly local to you? Come and od the Jersey one! :)

Run along the beach again today for about 1.7 miles and then back along the promenade for o total of 3.3 miles. Started off at 8mm and finished 6;15mm for about 7:22mm avg. The legs still feeling all the recent miles and some hard sessions. The chap who organised the recent trail series that I did back in Jan, Feb and March has asked if I'd like to run in a relay team (sponsored by him) in the round the island challenge which takes place mid-July. It consists of 48 miles of road, cliff, beach and trails. 5 runners per team and it's shaping up very nicely as a strong team. I'm looking forward to that, should be a lot of fun and I think we could do well!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - ouch! Bet it felt great to race again. Good effort.
    GD - if I were you I would give the parkrun a miss and have a rest; not worth the risk.
    PMJ - yes, indeed. 
    GM - sounds like a good relay event. Good running from you again. Mrs GD has been to Jersey too - I'll have to ask her which island marathon she'd prefer ;)
    Snuck in another 3 yesterday lunchtime (library trip) and then 21 slow ones this morning to bring up 100 miles for the week! First ever ton up. Probably earned a rest tomorrow. Good luck to everyone parkrunning or racing this weekend.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard yes a new vest i only joined up a few weeks ago ,enjoy the relay.
    Gul ton up, you are in the big league now !!!!!,  I only even got one week with 100m years ago,peaked at 92m last year. You must be in great shape if a bit tired .

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    just back from a week in Cornwall - I'll read back later, but got to tip my hat to Mr Gul - a ton with a day to spare - remarkable, sir B)     btw, Gul, before heading off on my break, did 5 laps of the RV parkrun course for a 15 . . . .   yes, its flat, but I did notice a short, slight incline - became apparent on lap 5 for me, so it could possibly be a very minor psychological irritation in the latter stages of a marathon. Then again, the way you are going, probably not !  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nice 400 work, OO and good luck in the 3k.

Gul that's incredible mileage. I don't know how you can get through without an end marathon target. Unless you do?

Well done on the 5 miler, Leslie.

Relay sounds 'fun' Gerard! 

My first week of faster training has brought me down to earth! Parkrun today was an absolute sufferfest. Could tell straightaway it wasn't going to end well. First mile was 5.57 so went out with intent. Stomach went again though and began feeling sick at end of first mile. Felt like I was barely moving as I was flooding with lactic. Came in 18.52 on watch, much to my surprise. Still, a good 30 seconds slower than last time I ran this course on 07th April. 

Not sure if I'm slightly unwell as rhr been higher this week and my staple midweek tempo was affected in same way, or whether I've just lost some fitness following a 2 week taper and 3 weeks of recovery. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    *** PB KLAXON!! ***

Despite the glute/priformis pain, I was really keen to give Bushy parkrun a go today. Got up early and got on the roller and did some stretching on it.
    Got to the park and did a 2 mile Warm up to get it loose. I tried this as it loosened up on Thursday's run, best to keep it moving. Warm up was possibly a bit quick as it averaged 7.14 but I did throw in a few strides.

Hip stuff felt OK and we were off. It's a big parkrun so got myself near the front. Had to dodge a few lumps and bumps on the grass before hitting the trail and time to settle down. Felt I went out quick, but then you have to. So, held on and recorded splits of 6.01, 6.12 and 6.09. 

Finished in 19.03 beating my previous best of 20.01. Well pleased.
    Was 35th out of 1341 and 2nd in age cat.

I was running with the leading lady runner for a while before easing away from here near the end, beating her by 8 seconds. Turns out it was Mara Yamauchi. Amazing! I've watched her many times over the years, what a privilege to run so close to such a fine athlete.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good scalp G-D and great PB.  Was 20.01 really your previous PB?

Just mark it down as a bad day DT19 and move on to the next session/race.

Excellent 100 mile week Gul - a good milestone to break.

The round the island challenge sounds like it could be fun Gerard.

A good result in the 5 miles Leslie - which club are you running for?

Blisworth 5 miles for me on Friday - the second race in the East Midlands Grand Prix.  Have narrowly lost the age category win in the first race (Silverstone), my strategy was to start just behind the Silverstone winner, stick with him for the first few miles and then hopefully storm past at 3 miles.  Sadly, he had other plans and didn't turn up! It's a bit of an undulating course but on nice country roads.  The first mile was downhill and, despite trying to keep the speed controlled, this still came out at 5:57.  With uphill sections to follow, the next three miles came out at 6:46, 6:34 and 6:34.  With half a mile to go, I was quite happy to coast to the finish and hold position but there seemed to be a queue of runners behind me wanting to sprint to the finish.  Having let a few pass, I spotted the category winner from last year approaching quickly.  Managed to find some hidden reserves and held him off over the remaining 200 meters to cross the line in 32:12.  A bit more of a controlled race than Silverstone, so quite happy with the time given the hilly course.  Came in 73rd overall and secured an age category win.  Quite looking forward to doing a few more of these races - the next one is at Rugby on Wednesday and as the distance is 6 miles a PB is guaranteed!