Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great racing SBD. Well done Sir. 

Yep, 20.01 was my previous PB but on a difficult course. Today was only my 8th parkrun and first outside Woking. It made a bit of a difference.

Most pleasing was that I a appear to be holding some pace between campaigns. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - 100 miles in a week is some going. How many runs and time on feet??

DT - Parkrun sounded tough but still a very good time. 

G-Dawg - Well done on what is a great time and one that we all knew you were capable of, nice feeling to have that sort finishing time hey. Must have yielded a tasty WAVA too? Sub 19 beckons. :wink:

SBD - That sounded like a tough course. Well done on the AC win. 

Watched the night of the 10,000m pb's last night. That looks like such a fun event and what a run by young Alex Yee. That kid has talent. Sunny and very here, so I'm about to head out for a jog. Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks.
  • I'm sure Gul said 100m to go and meant 100 metres to fo to pad the 0.9 to a full one.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    GD I’d like to do Bushey one day. Good effort and hope the back is easing.
    Gerard that relay sounds great. I could only do 1 at that pace- not 8!
    Gul that is amazing. Don’t think I ever went above 70, let alone 100!
    I’ve also had high HRT DT, hope yours will pass soon as you get used to the pace.
    SBD that’s a great effort and very controlled. Don’t think I ever did that one.
    we did Catford parkrun on it’s 4th week. Not sure we will go back, very odd indeed. A lot of grass and ran round 2 poorly marked fields. The watch said 18:40 but 18:30 on the results- happy to take the latter. 
    Great to see Lorenzo at the 10k PBs. Junior OO melted in the heat and dropped out at 5k- more recovery needed for her after injury.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Paul Sinton Hewitt was also at the 10k PBs taking part in a fun mile race. He packed a 5:30ish mile- pretty impressive for an old guy. This is a great night of free athletics, will definitely go back next year.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun evening OO and Lorenzo.  So no opportunities for you to run?

Hope you had a good jog Gerard.

It sounds like a bit of Park Run tourism is called for G-D.

Didn't manage to get out this morning, so had to set off for the 16 mile LR at 5pm.  A bit on the warm side and not carrying any fluid may have been ill advised but had a nice steady progressive run with the last 5 miles at 7:15 m/m.  A little faster than planned but all nice and easy.  Gives me 63 miles for the week.  I've decided 63/16 sounds like a better combination than 58/15, so will try and stick at this level for the next 7 week before starting the New York training. 

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, just dropping in my quick race report from Hackney Half this morning. Work has been crazy busy but seeing as the roads around Olympic Stadium where I'm working this week were shut for the race today and not much could get done; I managed to fit the race in. This'll be a quick bullet pointer:
    • Didn't actually confirm was racing until 11pm when my race number finally made it into my hands
    • Was 3 pints down by then, the 4th was maybe a mistake
    • Not run in about a week
    • Misty morning but heated up later
    • Nice race, congested at the start as usual - 20,000 runners in 2 waves
    • Not enough urinals at the start, meant I ended up stopping at 10k for a quick call of nature
    • Nice route, good support on the latter half.
    • Came in at 1:27:57 for a surprise 1 second PB despite the stop and not really pushing in the 2nd half - think 1:25 is in reach with some training seeing as I haven't really run since London
    Would do Hackney again.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Very nice MLR with a strong finish too. Those kinda runs feel great. 

OO - I would like to try make that night of the 10,000m pb's next year. It looked like such fun and must be such a buzz to run in. Shame about junior though, hope she can recover soon. That parkrun sounded weird but you still managed a very quick time. 

Nicko - Shame you had to stop at 10k but when nature calls..........great time and a pb too, result! 

Jogged 8.4 miles in the afternoon sunshine followed by an ice bath in the sea. The legs have felt a bit jaded this week and looking back on my training log I can see I haven't had a rest day for 16 days and have done quite a few doubles too, so as much as I want to run tomorrow in the sunshine I think I'll be taking 48hrs recovery to try and reboot. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I didn't realise (or forget) you are were doing NY SBD- me too! Likewise I don't plan to start the training until 2nd half of July, but will be retired by then so can give it a decent focus.

Very impressive Nicko. I'd love to try that next year. Hackney is my old stomping ground. Why weren't you pushing in the 2nd half?

Enjoy the rest Gerard certainly well earned.

3k on the track tonight. I'm thinking 10:30, but 1:24 per lap seems a bit scary. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - target is to get a GFA and run London again. Looks like next attempt will be Rother Valley mara in November. I guess you need a bit longer to recover.
    GD - excellent stuff! That's quite an experience to get your PB running with Mara Yamuachi and even overtaking her too.
    SBD - great racing and strong finish to claim 1st place in your age category.
    GM - 13 runs (or 14 if you count the 0.0x!) in 13:32:21 which I make an average of 8:07 m/m. A rest day will certainly do you no harm. Paradoxically I have been more consistent at taking a rest day each week since hitting the higher mileage, but I guess I need it.
    PMJ - yes, I did, but it was still 100 miles for the week.
    OO - nice photo - shame for junior OO. Good luck with the 3k track race tonight.
    SBD - that's a good level of base training.
    nicko - that's a great result after all those bullet points. Well done.
    No running yesterday, but a second day of gardening cross-training. Overslept a bit this morning so just 4.5 miles, then 5.5 to work. GPS watch is probably on the way out. It seemed to only be picking up signals very infrequently and somehow managed to log me about 7 miles, including some interesting mile splits (6:13, 5:52, 4:28, 5:52, 4:31!). Fortunately it was on a regular route, so I just ignored all that!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done on the pb, G-Dawg. Possibly the least surprising pb this year however.

Nicko- Sounds like you are in big pb shape if you can manage that yesterday. Well done.

Great parkrunning, oo.

Yes, well worth a rest after 16 days days Gerard.

Well done on the age prize at the 5 miler and yesterdays 16, SBD.

Straight back on it, Gul. Will you aim for 100 again this week or was that a one off?

I got out yesterday morning about 10am for my long run. Didn't think I needed a drink as it was only 15 and that's just a quick jog..... By mile 10 I was spitting feathers. It didn't help that the last 5 miles were largely upwards.

Anyway it's in the bank and I am back to normal long running. That gave me 41 for the week, which given I did 3 sessions, is about right for now. The legs felt very comfortable for the duration which was good.

A slow 5k recovery before work and the legs feel fine now. Spin tonight to complete the day.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - I hope your track 3,000 went according to plan? 

Gul - Those doubles really do add up, I don't think I have ever surpassed 78 miles in a week. How long are you planning on doing the big mileage for? Seems so far away from your target race but the months soon fly by. Jersey mara is early October, just saying! :wink:

DT - Sounds like you are coasting along. One of the nice things about running here is that there's a 10k out and back stretch along the prom with a few showers if you ever get stuck without liquid or if it's hot then I tend to just have sip or quick spray over the head to keep cool. I very rarely take any liquid with me when I run. 

My planned rest day didn't go to plan. Got home around five, was gorgeous out and headed out for a sunny jog along the prom, 7.5 miles @ 7:12mm avg. Not quite a jog either and tried to persuade the legs into running a bit quicker than I probably should have. Was too nice out not to,  B) Potential 5k race pacing duties tomorrow night and the weather looks perfect 20c with a light breeze. Hoping to get my pal a quick time, she pb'd in Manchester this year in 3:38 aged 47. 21:2x should be achievable all things being equal. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - well done getting the 15 miler in the bag - it's banked now as you say.
    GM - nice tempo run. Enjoy the pacing duties.
    DT19 / GM - I am hoping to do parkrun this Saturday, in which case I might ease up a bit Thursday/Friday so unlikely to hit 100 this week. Otherwise the plan is to press on till the end of May and then I've got weekend away with no running planned. I then will hopefully set a provisional date for a solo long endurance effort (this is instead of the Norfolk 100km).  After that a bit of recovery and then start an autumn marathon campaign (sorry looks like Rother Valley and not Jersey!)
    9 miles with 14 x 400m tempo efforts early this morning and then 6 steady miles to work.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Track went well;

3000M 10:12

400M 66secs

long jump 2:96 (but I wasn't last!). Respect for how hard this actually is!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking track work there, OO, that's pretty nippy. Good skills!
    The long jump world record is 8.95m. Room for improvement there, fella!   :D;)

Amazing miles, Gul. I'm barely hitting 25 pw at the mo.

Track session tonight. It kicks off with a one mile time trial. My previous best was 5.43 so I'll be looking to get into the 5.3x area tonight. 
    Left glute/hip thing seems to have gone, so ready to gun it! Unfortunately there's a full-on interval session after the TT.  Oh well...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    GD there were several old ladies leaping over 4m, and a very good V60 man. It was humbling...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I hear ya! There's always something in sport to keep us grounded. I was beaten in my PB parkrun on Saturday by a bloke pushing a double baby buggy! "Faster daddy, faster!"
     :o  :/
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Great running Nicko & congrats on the PB, looked like it was another warm one!

Good track work OO, talking about humbling the last time I did Brueton Parkrun I was soundly beaten in the sprint finish by a 13 year old. Couldn't get anywhere near him!

Quick update from the injury bench. The hip seems to be making slow progress and is feeling a bit better. I can't quite pinpoint where the discomfort is as it seems to move around. Was feeling better yesterday but I have aggravated it slightly doing a core workout last night. I am off to Ilfracombe this weekend so will take the rest of the week off and then get booked into physio next week if it hasn't cleared up.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - You must have been pleased with that 3,000 given your concerns about the target lap pace. Sub 10 sounds within reach to me. Well done.

Gul - Now I can see why you are doing the big miles. Have you a route and distance in mind? You could be on for a quick parkrun this weekend. 

Stevie - Hope you get sorted soon, What's in Ilfracombe? I must admit I've never heard of it but then my English Geography. 

Went out for a jog today on lunch and had to stop at 3 miles. Got bad cramp in my right calf muscle and could barely walk let alone run. It's been years since I've had that. Had to walk the last mile back along the prom but it was sunny and really warm and high tide so not too bad all things considered. No pacing duties for me tonight at the local 5k. It was a warm one and the times reflected that. Definitely not running tomorrow. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gerard - its a nice little seaside town in Devon. Got an apartment for the bank holiday weekend for a little break. Will get some cycling in so I won't be completely exercise free!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Injuries! Take care guys. We need a nice easy bank holiday to refresh the parts...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the calf is OK today, GM?

Enjoy Ilfracombe, Stevie, I really like it down that way. Stayed not too far away in Putsborough a couple of years ago. Some nice coastal path running to be had.

Track night last night. Had to do a 2 mile warm-up again as the glute hip problem returned during a walk at lunchtime, I think it's actually a sciatic nerve issue. Warm-up seemed to help so was able to give the one mile time trial a go.
    Pleased that it came out OK at 5.31, a big improvement on my previous effort. Should break 5.30 next time as felt OK after. A few mins rest and we were into an interval session of 9 x hard efforts from 260m to 100m at 20m decrements with walk/jog recoveries. Didn't push too hard on those as I've done a lot of quicker stuff recently. Ran with R2, he's on good form.
  • Starting to get back to some sort of consistency. Last two weeks have been just over 40 miles and that is where I need to be. 

I did parkrun (on a flat course) on Saturday in 21:33 and then a summer 5k yesterday evening (hilly off-road course) in 21:42 so even though it was 9 seconds slower it was a much better run. I really need to get back down below 20 soon but I hope that just comes with racing more. The summer 5k series is full swing  so happens next Tuesday and the Tuesday after and I have parkrun and a 4x4k relay on Sunday so by mid-June it should happen.

My targets for 2018 were sub-20 5k (did that 1st Jan) and sub-90 half (did that 18th Feb) and 2018 miles for the year. That third target now is the one I am looking at: I lost about 2 weeks so am about 80 miles behind schedule (2018 miles evenly across the year) but also the plan I have at 40 miles a week comes to 2,085 miles so there was some margin for loss but that has been eaten up. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OO  - stormin' 3k and 400m! Well done.
    GD - excellent new 1 mile PB, but who was that guy running a sub 20 with a double buggy?!
    Stevie - good to hear the hip is progressing. Enjoy Devon. Mrs GD went to school in Ilfracombe for a few years. Lovely part of the country.
    GM - hopefully a day's rest will see you right. I have a very boring 6 mile loop in mind so that comfort breaks will be very easy. I don't have a specific distance in mind - more likely to be a time limit or cut-off time.
    PMJ - good to hear you're finding some consistency in your training again. Nice target for the year.
    9 steady mile early doors for me. I had to give Miss GD the younger a lift to school today, so only 4 easy miles before work (out and back from the car park). Just noticed that I've now clocked up 303 miles for May.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

GDawg- The leg feels fine today thanks. Well enough to run on but I'll rest up. Well done on your mile time. I've never run one as a stand alone mile.

Gul - Ah I see and here was I thinking you were going one some crazy hike.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hi all - no running for 8 days, but back to it yesterday with 13.5 (legs nice and fresh - a very rare feeling these days)  , and 6 more today (legs back to normal - i.e. wooden )  :/ 
    still, decided its time to feel some pain again, so I entered a 10K today  :o
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you Birch and PMJ- getting back to it!

Big miles as usual Gul. I'm approaching 1000 so far this year, should pass that at the weekend. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    0054 cracking track pace 
    PmJ
    If you can complete those targets by feb they maybe were a tad soft,move the bar up a bit  !
    GDAWG that's a fast mile 
    Birch good to see you back at it.
    SBD Good week there , I'm with Foyle valley (local Northern Ireland club)
    Stevie I was beat by a 60 year old clubmate  so I feel you pain lol 

Buncrana 5k tonight about 22c at the start ,unbelievable !!!

Fast course and long downhill start ,aim for to get close to 20 mins but even during the warmup my hammy was niggling but I went for it anyway ,first mile came in 6:26 ,a little hill in the second and 6:47 then a bigger hill and the wheels fell of for a 7:08 with the last 0.1 sprinted in 5:15m/mile for a slightly disappointing 20:50 thought its my fastest 5k this year ,same course last year I ran 18:18 so 2.5 mins slower .
    Felt as flat as a pancake after the first mile and actually slower pace than my 5 miler last week .

294 mile for the year so far !!!!!!!!!!!!! should get at least 500 by year end .......

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - nice one. Where and when is the 10k?
    OO - good miles - I passed 1,100 this morning.
    Leslie - good effort and a decent result. Hope the hammy is OK. But 500? As you said to PMJ, move the bar up a bit ;)
    8 miles with 12 x 100m strides this morning. Looks like I should be okay to parkrun this week, so giving the legs a bit of a rest i.e. no double today. Took the opportunity to shed a few ounces and have a haircut instead.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speaking of ytd stats, my Sunnto watch gives me all sorts of interesting data but my recorded miles so far this year are 694 miles in 88.41 hours (7:49mm avg).

Leslie - Tough race by the sound of it. When 5k's go wrong it's a pain but you don't lose too much time. Had that been a 10k it would have been much worse. 20:50 is still a respectable time.

Birch - Welcome back! And fair play on booking a race.

OO - Wow, 1k already!