Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    decent effort, Leslie, off minimal mileage  . . .   good mileage from many, though - I'm on 722 for the year to date.

Gul - 10K is at Owston Ferry, in North Lincs - apparently flat, so nowhere to hide !  
    haircut ?  a while since I sat in the barber's chair  . . . .   
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul Duly noted will up my target mileage if/when injuries allow ,nice strides.
    Gerard near 700 nice miles and speedy average too.
    Birch good to see a race booked and a good mileage total as well.

Club tempo was 30 mins tonight , just the thing after a hard 5k !

15 mins at 7:30 then 15 mins at 7 which is not a whole lot slower than my 5k (6:45) but around that is where my lack of miles etc shows up badly . 7.5m in total .

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

You just need a bit more consistent training Leslie (and a few more miles) - the times will soon tumble.

That's pretty decent mileage Birch - what time are you targeting at the 10K?

I'm on 1,327 miles for the year to date.  A lot of these have been recovery runs, so average speed of 7:52 m/m.  Probably explains why my running shoes keep wearing out!

Rugby 6 miles yesterday, third race of the East Midlands Grand Prix.  A good course over undulating country roads with the emphasis on undulating.  I was expecting some keen competition in my age category but couldn't spot anyone at the start line.  Managed to set off at a controlled pace and the first mile with an initial tailwind and then a downhill stretch after turning the corner came out at 6:03.  Found myself behind a couple of TEH runners that were setting a good pace, so ran with them for the next couple of miles.  Mile 2 was up and down and came out at 6:18 whilst Mile 3 was mainly up and came out at 6:45.  Although it often seemed a struggle to hold on to the TEH runners, they started to fade at the halfway point so I pushed on to catch up with leading lady 3 and give chase to the group ahead.  Mile 4 was mainly downhill so 6:05 but the undulations came back with a vengeance in Mile 5 which came out at 6:50.  The last mile was flat and with a slight tailwind and having caught up with the group ahead there was plenty of runners to race against.  A final mile of 6:10 and a few Garmin seconds gave me a finish time of 38:17, 56th place in a field of 358, with 29 runner having broken 36 minutes.  The faster age category runners seemed to have stayed at home, so I secured another AC win.  Overall, a much better paced run than the last race and managed to beat about 10 runners that had finished faster than me at the last race. 

6 miles recovery run tonight and already looking forward to the next race, the Corby 5, described as hilly!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - lots of flat places in Lincolnshire.
    Leslie - good tempo run just after the 5k.
    SBD - that's some cracking racing - good progress and another age category win. Well done!
    Cut back a little bit more than I had planned and took a rest this morning. The plan is for parkrun on Saturday and as many miles as time will allow on Sunday and Monday.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Leslie - Good sesh after the 5k. Keep chipping away and those times will drop. Is the weight coming down?

Birch - When is the 10k? Flat sounds good to me!

SBD - Well done on the win and a nice finish time too. Rugby is that were the race took place? My sister got married there 12 years ago in Brownsover hall. Lovely place.

Gul - Should be nice and fresh for tomorrow. Remember to pace that 1st mile ;)  could be on for a very fast one!

Got out for a run on lunch yesterday to test the calf. 4k at 6:25mm, no issues whatsoever. Will rest again today just to be on the safe side and allow my body some more recovery and I might head up to parkrun tomorrow.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD - well run - and excellent category win :) 

my 10K is on July 1st - really no idea what time, but I predicted 47 mins on my entry.  48:11 is 70% WAVA, which is currently my minimum "respectable" score, so we'll see.  
    5.5 this morning, with "strideouts" in the last couple of miles.   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Afternoon....work has been silly this week and my evenings not much better so have been reading not posting.

Well done on the 3000, OO. That intensity really isn't my forte.

Well done on your 5k, Leslie. As has been said, a couple of months of consistency and it'll come back easy enough.

SBD, another solid performance and age group win. How is the series decided? In Worcestershire it is based on everyones best 3 performances.

Stevie, hope the hip is improving.

I have persevered this week and on 25 miles following a lunch recovery run with 15 planned in the morning. I did 5.5 Tuesday night at my usual 160bpm. Came in 6.43 for 162. It was pretty warm, however I still felt quite lacklustre, like I wasn't really flowing and didn't have another gear to move into. It maybe I am still recovering from London.

Yesterday I did 5 x 800m of 2 mins. The first 1 was 3.00 then the second 2.49. After that I settled in the middle for the other 3 all circa 2.55. Felt hard towards the end for the last 2, however less unpleasant than the 400s from the previous week. Hopefully I will get used to that level of discomfort eventually.

Will probably have a rest day sunday as not had one for a couple of weeks.

750 miles this year to date.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Always so hard to do those on your own in training DT- or was it a club sesh?

You seem disappointed Lesley but off 294 for the year it looks like pretty good effort. At least you know what's needed to improve.

Good going Birch and impressive miles total, not surprised you are ahead of me.

And SBD that a fantastic mileage total- you  make us all look like laggards. Congrats on the AC win!

I'm planning the local parkrun tomorrow. It's a slow one so sub 19 is the target. Then off to the Lakes PM- hoping for better weather. Should get into the mid 40's this week. I passed 1000 for the year with this mornings 7 miler.     

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SBD must be great to get a win .
    Gul wonder how fast you can go ,goodluck.
    Gerard nice speedy 4k, still not lost any kgs yet but not doing many miles to fight the flab so no surprise there ,will have to shift up a gear from June I think.
    Dt nice set of 800's 
    0054 nice to have 1000m already , really my times are from the miles I banked last year ,but I think I've used up all my credits now so will have to do a bit if a sub 20 is to be possible.

10 mile this morn at 9:09 average ,beautiful day along the rivers edge and only my second 10m this year and it felt a lonngg way !
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, well done on the 10.

oo,  good luck tomorrow. I've never really seen the big deal as to the benefits of training with other people. This is the sort of training though where I can see it now. This was in my own on my lunch break. 

managed to get home early so popped to gym for a bonus spin class. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Sounds like a nice run that. Hopefully when you up your mileage your weight will come down, and then your times will too. I remember when you ran that very fast 5k. That should be your motivation to get back there but sub 20 first would be great and you're not too far off. Keep going pal. 

OO - Have a good one tomorrow. Which one is local? 

DT - Those sessions seem hard to begin with but after a few weeks of them you'll be flying. I usually do all my hardcore sessions solo but it's great having someone who is either faster or able to keep up to do them with. 

Birch - Good target for the 10k. Will you do any specific 10k training? My fav is 3 x 2 miles, tough mind but it seemed to work for me in April. 

Rested again today, so the legs should feel fresh. I'd be happy with 18:5x tomorrow but it looks like it's going to be very warm, so we'll see. Not a great week here but I hope to get a longish run in this weekend, I might even try a 16 or something, been over 8 months since I'v run more than 13 so we'll  see how that goes. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the flying visit. Didn't follow Leslie's advice and was way too fast on the 1st lap at parkrun this morning (5:47 I think). Fortunately I didn't completely blow up (6:08, 6:11 + 0:46) and held on to pass my ex-colleague on the last lap for an unofficial 18:54 finish in 8th place. Afterwards my calves were screaming and I had to walk rather than run home. Long run tomorrow looks to be off. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Sub 19 the hard way but still a very good time. Well done! 

I had a poor one today. Went out conservatively 6:04 for the first mile and just couldn't pick up. Got gradually slower each mile and the hill st the end felt like Everest. 19:22, my slowest one for some time. Still a decent training run. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done, Gul, Gerard - hope you both manage your long runs tomorrow.  
    15 with my daughter today, and, coincidentally, she mentioned that 3 x 2 mile session, Gerard !  I just want to do a decent month, with a session inserted here and there, but will have to see how the VoGit legs react to any intensity, and take it from there  . . .    
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

My local parkrun is Whitley Bay Gerard but with a fun fare on the park today I didn't risk it, so went to instead Newcastle which is faster but very busy with 600+ runners. I got impeded with my usual slow start including a chap with his dog! 1st mile in 5:58 but then got clear with a 5:47 second (to match you Gul) and 5:52 for the tough 3rd mile. It was a sprint finish for the line with one of my pals so 4:22 pace for the last 0.1. I was also 8th Gul with a time of 18:11, which is my best this year. And a WAVA of 84.43% my best for a very long time. I should be happy with that but I was really hunting a sub-18.

DT I'm quite a lazy trainer and end up going too slow on my own. I love to be in a group for the competitive sessions to push myself harder - especially on the track, racing younger guys & girls.

Great to be with your daughter for 15 mile runs Birch, very jealous as mine don't go that far.     

• SBD, good set of races you are login up there in the Grand Prix. Do you have ambitions for the overall AC win over the whole series?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, great park running. 

Gerard, good way of looking at it!

oo, great paces and wava. And quite a finish!

I went out and did a comfortable and quite enjoyable 15 miler today. I was reading p and d faster road racing last night. Even reading the details of 10k racing the emphasis is on aerobic mileage. last April and may I run 127 and 95 miles. This year I've done 143 and so far 147. I'll probably make 180 in May. I mention it because last June and July I raced really poorly and suspect it was due to April and Mays mileage. Hoping that eont happen this year. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO, that's a fantastic WAVA score !!!     B)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - still a very decent parkrun.
    Birch - good 15 miler. 3x2M is a great session.
    OO - fantastic parkrun  - the WAVA says it all. I got 79.21% for yesterday which is my highest, I think. 
    DT19 - yes, hopefully those miles will pay dividends.
    I was hobbling around a lot yesterday, but things seem to have finally settled down. Did a 3 mile recovery run this morning. Glutes seem a bit tight and right calf too, so will take it easy for a while. 55 miles for the week. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Hope the calves are OK Gul after the speedy park run

Good LSR DT19 - must read P&D faster road racing although it'll probably tell me I need to do more interval work!  The East Midlands Grand Prix is 8 races - the GP standings are determined by aggregating your best five finishing positions.  So three down and five to go.

PMJ - I entered the whole series and was hoping to be competitive.  Still five races to go so anything can happen.  I've not won running races in the past (apart from one V45 HM in 2010) so it's quite a novelty to "win" events even if it's only a V55 age category prize!

Excellent run at Newcastle PR OO - sub 18 would be nice to break sometime.

A good LSR Birch.

Bad days are all part of the mix Gerard.  Did you get out for the long run?

Good progress on the 10 miler Leslie.

On parental support duty this morning so had to go out for the LSR at 5:30pm.  At 24 deg C, it was a bit on the warn side and the CNBA fairy was very vocal.  Soldiered on and picked up the pace after a few miles to finish with 16 miles @ 7:46, to give 62 miles for the week.  Didn't take any fluid on the run so was somewhat dehydrated at the end - a couple of beers should put things right ... 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, hope the aches settle.

SBD, to the contary. The 10k schedule has 5 runs. 3 are general aerobic, 1 is an interval session but intervals are at 5k pace and a threshold session. 

well done on the 16. I did my 15 yesterday knowing that my alternative was this afternoon andbthe forecast was 24c. I went out at 5pm for 5k recovery for 43 for week. i was drenched in sweat just from that. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Similar weather here. Headed out at 4:30pm 25c and jogged 15.3 miles @ 8:10 avg with some nice hills. Took it easy but felt tired by 10. Stopped at 12 for a quick dip in the sea as it was a very high tide and then jogged the remaining miiles home. Really enjoyable run and didn't mind the heat at all. I didn't take any liquids with me but had a sip of water after my dip. Longest run of 2018 for me today. Figured it was about time I logged a decent time on feet run. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds idyllic Gerard. Looks like today will be a scorcher in the Lakes. Gentle 6 miler and long walk on the cards.
  • Missed Gul's parkrun, good time there. Any plans to target a PB, you can't be far off at the moment and summer is a good time for 5k PBs.
  • Quick dip in back here. Some very impressive parkrunning going on at the moment - looks like sub-19 and a top 10 finish is becoming the norm on here. 

Great to catch up with OO at the Night of the 10,000m PBs the other day - another great evening of racing culminating in a fab smackdown between the Brits in the Men's A race.

Bit of a mixture for me over the last week. 

A little bit outside my 3000m PB on Sunday last weekend with 11:15 - not too bad but would clearly have been some way behind OO. ?

22 hilly off road miles on Saturday which was quite tough after 50 commuting bike miles the day before. Recovery run yesterday followed by 3 hours standing up watching Hamlet at the Globe - am now on my way up to the London 10K where anything close to 40 would be pleasing.

In other news, my toenail fell off during week - no pictures taken. 
  • Relays for me too yesterday, local event with 4x4k with teams based on aggregate age so I was in a 200+ team.

In reality, this was a bit too soon in the recovery from injury plan and also coincided with a week when I was off running on Thursday and Friday to watch England lie on its back and give up the ghost at Lords so I had frontloaded the week with miles as it also messed up the Sunday LSR.

Leg 1, our mid 40s guy comes home first and passes over to Andy who kept our team in first with a reasonable lead over 2nd. My leg came in at 16:10 and I lost first place to a youngster (mixed 160+ team) who did 15:15 but the splits are a lot more interesting: mine were 6:37, 6:49 and 6:27 for the last bit and his were 5:51, 6:21 and bits at 6:44 so he set off at full bore and made 46 seconds up over the first mile. The next mile 28 seconds but lost 12 seconds over the last bit. 

Our last runner, a 54-year-old, couldn't overhaul their 35-year-old so we ended up second overall but first in our category. 

I'll take a low 16s for 4k off-road (and it was probably a bit short) and it starts to look like a 20.xx 5k will be possible and soon after that back to sub-20 which is where I like to be. Next 5k is Tuesday lunchtime and the one after that Tuesday evening. Won't push hard at lunch. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SBD good early MLR and weekly miles.
    DT19 hot and humid here too. 
    GM sounds good to cool off in the sea and then finish your run.
    OO enjoy the Lakes.
    PMJ tempted to cut back on the miles and do a bit of speed work but Saturdays are pretty much booked up for a while. Congrats to your relay team.
    Lorenzo busy days! Excellent hilly long run.
    6 slow miles this morning but not quite as I had planned. Very surprised to see a friend in their front garden at 4:45am. One of their kids had kicked off and gone missing last night. Spent the rest of my run looking round places where I thought a teenager might doss down but no joy. Hope they turn up very soon.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Just heard they've been found safe and sound, thankfully.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - That must be a relief for all. Very worrying when kids go AWOL, especially teenagers. Re your recent parkrun. And I hope you don't mind me saying. There's an 18:30 or quicker there with a 6mm for the first one. You still managed to get a great time but I bet you can do it. I've tried various times to go hard on mine and given the nature of the course it ends up being a slog from 3k. When i ran back to back 18:47's recently on both occasions the first mile was around 6:0x. 79% is very good and I'm sure you'll crack 80 soon. 

Lorenzo - You've been very active. I hope the 10k went well?

OO - 84% is excellent! Looks like you had fab weather up in the lakes. Looks epic. Never been, would like to go one day. 

SBD - You're running extremely well and for a V55 I'm not surprised you're winning. The training is paying off. I hope the beers worked. :wink:

PMJ  - Decent off road running and a great relay by the sound of it. Sub 20 seems a bit soft for someone who ran a fast half not too long ago. Do you not think sub 19 should be within reach with some speed work? 

5 miler for me today, again in the afternoon heat, 24c today but it felt really humid. Really enjoyed it and the legs didn't feel stiff at all from yesterday's 15, which tells me I didn't overdo it pace wise. 7:10mm avg, I'll take that in the heat of the day and I wasn't gunning it. Low tide today but another cracker. Below is a pic (No.2) of the "Town beach", 200m from the office and a tidal pool when the tide goes out. The castle in the background is Elizabeth castle and once a dwelling of Sir Walter Raleigh. Lovely walk along the causeway at low tide and a great backdrop for a jog at any time of the day.The 1st photo is La Rocco tower out west in St.Ouen. Glorious place for a surf/swim at high tide and a Jersey heritage site. You can stay over night. I've swam out there but never stayed over night. 

• Phew - that's good news Gul. 

Thanks GM. Great sea views. I generally prefer running on the hills rather than by the beach but given some of your cliff runs, you've got the best of both worlds. 

10K wasn't too bad - flat course from Green Park east towards Bank and then back with some stretches where you were running on the opposite side of the road to the later starters.

Bit of congestion in the first K but not too bad and the temperature was pleasant; certainly more so than a month ago!

Halfway in 20:05, finished in 40:30 so not too much fade and on the back of a tough 22 miles on Saturday it was an OK performance (75% or so WAVA) and a similar time to last year's 10K outing.

Rest day today and then off to Lausanne this evening for a few days (work rather than holiday) but the kit is in the case so hoping to get some pleasant running in.