Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Some great running on here by everyone!

DT- Faster road racing is on my reading list, will get it to it sometime this year!

Hip feels better now so going for a gentle 5k this evening to test it. I've won a competition to attend an Adidas training day on Saturday at the Olympic stadium. Get to try some of the new Solarboosts and lots of different coaches so should be interesting! Haven't been to the Olympic stadium before so that is a bonus as well!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Had a quick read back and there's been some splendid efforts going on.

Back to work today after a long weekend which began watching golf at Wentworth. My mates and I go there to see the BMW PGA every year, it's just around the corner.

My last few runs have been OK, did an 8 on Thursday at 6.58 pace, a tow path 12 miler on Saturday at 7.30 pace and another 12 miler yesterday at 7.15 pace. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's a lovely beach Gerard.

Great racing PMJ considering relative ages of the team, looks like 2nd was a good result.

Yes fab weekend in the Lakes with a combo of runs and long walks. Legs feeling pretty tired today.

Great haul for weekly mileage SBD. I ended nearer DT with 44 miles. According to Strava it was a low strain week! Anyone finding all this this new analysis on Strava helpful?  

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    That's disappointing, I only dipped back in to see close up pics of Lorenzo's toes.   Some good stuff being recorded - esp OO's massive WAVA and GM's sea view in which the water appears to be sloping so much it will form a tsunami and inundate France.

No much running here - been off grid working in Norfolk, then made my duathlon debut on Sunday. 4.2k trail run - 24k fairly hilly bike - then 2.8k trail run. The distances are miniscule but the terrain and sequence made it much harder than expected, esp. the 2nd run which is tough after the bike. I was vaguely hoping for podium but was blown away by much better riders to finish 6/17 and 1st EOG55.  I think I was the only EOG55 so no merit in that.  A very good work out however.

Must get some miles in.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - you may well be right there - more even pacing would certainly help. Nice pace for your run in the heat of the day.
    Lorenzo - good effort in your 10k. Hope you can get out running in Switzerland.
    Stevie - good news on the hip - have a great time at the Olympic stadium!
    GD - some speedy running as usual.
    OO - glad you had a good weekend.
    Poacher - but you were the only EOG55 willing to take it on. Well done. If you get bored of digging up half of Thetford you can always come and give me a hand over here. Latest project of Mrs GD's is a new path and herb border. Back to work for a rest today. By a strange coincidence, we are going to be in W.Yorkshire this weekend - not too far from Huddersfield in fact - but I'd better not mention the word marathon as it's a weekend break anniversary gift from the in-laws.
    Another 6 slow miles this morning. Legs feeling tired but calfs feel okay thankfully. Laying off the doubles this week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Poacher- I assume its off very little training as usual. You had better start getting yourself into shape for our head to head at the Coastal ;).

Gul you are a gardening monster. Mine is an absolute disgrace front and back- hopefully more time when I retire- only 8 weeks to go! 

• GerardM said:

PMJ  - Decent off road running and a great relay by the sound of it. Sub 20 seems a bit soft for someone who ran a fast half not too long ago. Do you not think sub 19 should be within reach with some speed work? 

You are right, the half I did (1:26:35) is an age grade of about 78.5% and an equivalent 5k time of 19.0x. Sub-20 is the first step in the coming weeks, should be closer to 19 by the end of summer but maybe not below it. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good work, Poacher - and 1st is 1st - well done !  I'd forgotten you'd entered Hudds Mara - looks a toughie  . . . .      

first training nod towards the 10K today, with 5 x 800m at the (gasp) !  track  . . .      ran (trotted slowly) there and back for 11 in total.  first track sesh for a loooong time  - ran to perceived effort, but was good to feel I was running fast again (even though I wasn't)  :)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Lorenzo nice 10k after a 22 miler , more to come for sure.
    Poacher 6th on your debut , the podium can't be far away .
    Gdawg that's a good haul of quick miles for the week.
    Gul glad the calf is nothing serious ,asking 5k pace in a huge week was maybe a little too much .
    0054 soon be more time for that garden (beer garden I hope)
    PMJ much more like it with 19 mins,80% wava sounds nice .

Club session 5x1k tonight with 90 secs rest , 20c still at 7pm .25c earlier when i was sleeping after nights ,loving this heat acclimatisation 

Pace came in around 6:25 each rep and was fairly consistent though I was working a lot harder as reps went on for it. Near 8 miles in total.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good pace Leslie.
    Lorenzo Lausanne is great but very hilly- you’ll be working hard!
    8 miles in Paris- felt very sluggish :(
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Well done that's a good time with big miles in your legs. 

Poacher - Sounds like a good result to me. 

Leslie - Good sesh, the heat would have made that harder but still good speed. Have you got another 5k coming up soon? 

Birch - The track is where it's at! Glad you enjoyed it. How long until your 10k? 

OO - Was it hot in Paris today? 

5.5 miles for me today, mostly on soft sand, wanted to keep the heart rate low and barely broke a sweat even though it was hot again. 8:5Xmm, so job done. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Super casual there, GM. Nice. 

Solid 1k reps Leslie. God work.

Track session for me tonight. Not that many there as it was hammering with rain at times but that was good as I've enjoyed and needed to run alone for the past week. My oldest mate had some devastating news and running is a great way of processing one's thoughts.

Anyway, the session tonight was 4 x 100 at almost full pelt, walk/jog the bends, rest for 2 mins then belt out 400m, rest for 3 mins then do it all again. 5 reps in total. A 2 mile warm up got me 6 miles for the night.

As mentioned, the track had rain bouncing off it but that just added to the fun. It was all about the 400m reps and they came out at 73, 73, 73, 73, 72.

Really pleased to stay so consistent but as the session is designed, it was tougher as it went on. Thighs filled with lactic acid in the last 100m of each rep and it was not the night to forget the Athsma inhaler. D'oh!

• Good reps there G-Dawg - I find it tough to get consistently under 80, let alone 75.

Nice pacy running from Birch and Leslie as well. 

OO - found out yesterday that Lausanne and Lucerne are two different places, not different spellings for the same place! Fortunately realised this before getting on the train from Zurich otherwise it might have been a bit of a problem. So, I'm in Lucerne not Lausanne - pleasant 4.5 miles this morning starting along the shore of the lake and then headed uphill for a bit.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - 8 weeks!
    Birch - intervals at the track. Very impressive.
    Leslie - good reps at the club session.
    GM - nice easy run.
    GD - those are some seriously fast reps. Might have been even faster if you'd had your drugs ;)
    Lorenzo - LOL. I can't really remember much about Lucerne except for the Lake and the footbridge.
    Did 8 miles this morning avg pace of 7:21 (inc. 2 w/u and 6@ 7:01).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lots going on!

Stevie, good to hear the hip is improving.

Leslie, nice session.

Birch, I also made my first appearance on track yesterday in the best part of 4 years, more below!

PMJ, well done on the relays.

Poacher, as others have said, it's not your fault no one else in your cat turned up. Good win.

OO- I am unconvinced by the new strava metrics. It certainly doesn't appear to me to do what it says in that my track session yesterday (as well as some high end spin classes) still seem to be getting the same score as an easy 7 miler.

Gerard, nice pics and running.

Gul, great consistency as always.

G-Dawg, your reps have decimated my track running joy!

So I was off with the kids yesterday but my wife was back by 3 so made my way to the track. 2 mile wu long way round. A quick lap of the track to just get a feel for it then off. It was 2 x 1 mile and 1 x 800m off 3 minutes. Came in 5.52, 5.54 and then 2.47. I then followed this up with a mile of alternating 200s slow/fast. They came in 36, 38, 35 and 34. That was actually quite good fun. So it was definitely an improved performance compared to my other sessions of this type over recent weeks. Last weeks 800s came out around 2.54.

Non running day today as with 7.5 Monday and 3.1 sunday I think I have run 7 straight days. Shame as in terms of running weather today is probably the best conditions in weeks.

• Fast sessions (I'll call them such and not races for a while) coming thick and fast so yesterday lunchtime 5k handicap and then yesterday evening summer 5k. 

Since my foot cleared up, my 5k time shave gone 22:11, 21:33, 21:42 (hilly course) and then 20:57 last night so trending downwards.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    3 x 5 min tempo sesh for me today with 5 min jog in between and a 10 min cool down. Tempo pace was around 6:35 and it felt comfortable. Enjoyed that and dipped the legs in the sea afterwards. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Schoolboy error Lorenzo ;)
    Paris is hot all day and pouring all night- nearly got caught in it yesterday.
    Yes same view here DT, Strava not really reflecting the accumulation of shorter runs and telling me I’m having a low strain week.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Gentle 5k last night to test the hip out, felt good and no flare ups this morning so touch wood its all sorted!

Will do another 5k tomorrow before the training camp on Saturday then I'll start building mileage back up again. Need to sit and write a training plan out at some point for Abingdon, got a busy summer so its going to be a bit disjointed!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - super-fast track work - nice one.
    PMJ - good progression there - sub 20 soon.
    GM - good tempo session. Who needs an ice-bath?
    OO - rain here too, but not so hot.
    Stevie - really pleased to hear all seems well. Steady as she goes now and enjoy writing the training plan.
    10 easy miles this morning avg pace 8:29. Brings up 350 for May and only 50 odd mins short of 2 days running. 3 rest days planned to start June.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gul, apart from whatever they get me doing on Saturday at this training camp I don't plan on doing any speedwork for the next couple of weeks. Just gently get back into a rhythm and regular running. That's an incredible mileage total for the month, well done. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Stevie - What training camp are you going to? 

Gul - Big monthly total there. Does your 3 day rest coincide with your trip to Yorkshire by any chance? 

DT - Very speedy track work. Are you parkrunning this weekend? 

Lorenzo - Hope you're managing to get some nice training in while you're away. 

OO - Yes, the weather in Paris is playing havoc with Roland Garros. 

Just shy of 5 miles for me on lunch. Little warm up then hard up a steep hill. Jogged for 2k then picked up the pace and threw in a 5:40 mile at the end. The legs are starting to feel good again after a 2 week period of not feeling it. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Gerard - Its an Adidas training day to promote their new Solarboost shoes. Won a competition for a place. Seems quite a good itinerary; there are nutrionists, they are doing sweat tests and running technique sessions plus there are some Olympic athletes there for training advice. Should be a good day!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Stevie - That sounds like fun and could be very informative. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Sweat tests?  WTF???  Don't eat tons of garlic the day before.

Nice miles Gul. I drove through Baslow yesterday - you must have run round there.

Lorenzo - better make sure you enter the race in Boston USA not Boston Lincs...
  • 11 and a bit (shy of a half) at lunchtime today. Week is now up to 31 miles so Friday and Sunday are off and Saturday is 3 miles to parkrun, round and back 3 miles for a 40 week. Will be in Worcester for a weekend break: wife won't even notice as I'll be back by 10.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    6 easy (but warm) miles this aft'n ;  completes a measly 114 for May (although last week was 40, and on course for 40+ this week)  -  so, start as I mean to go on for my 10K, which, Gerard, is on July 1st. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A bit of heavy rain and mud on the trails tonight. 5 and a bit miles at 6.54 pace just before pie, chips, peas, and gravy.  :)

Only 105 miles for May which was the intention to cut back after London. That takes me to 787  for the year with an average of 7.26, which surprised me.

10 hours of driving to Bangor and back tomorrow, picking the eldest lad up from uni for the final time.
    Will unravel myself at a parkrun on Saturday. May have a pop at sub-19, we'll see.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Gul a cracking month there well done.
    Stevie always nice to win something even a sweat test !
    Gerard A 5:40 mile is a nice bit of speed .
    PMJ enjoy the break 
    Birch 40 a week is decent in my book .
    Gdawg no surprise on the average ,you just don't do slow !

Club session , 2 x 1.8 mile laps on part of the mara route with a 5 min rest in between which was a bit long as coach was talkin ' . All the fasties are doing the local mara on sunday so led the session from the start for a change !

Fist lap went out hard for 6:30/6:30 then second lap a 6:46 and 6:36 pace after I struggled to get going at the start with jelly legs and just over 7 miles in total.
    96 mile for the month.
    Bought some new Nike zoom Pegasus 32 (only 50 quid ) as one heel was worn though and soles bald in the middle and another pair on newer model nike zoon pegasus 34's but not here yet  so they should do me a while .

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    gul, that's incredible mileage for the month!

Gerard, that's a quick mile within a longer run. 

Leslie, good session. Another month and you'll be well up on that I think. 

Stevie, enjoy the weekend. not sure what a sweat test is looking for?

gdawg, now is a good time to go for sub 19 as your legs are pretty fresh. 

pmj, what brings you to Worcester? not sure if you are planning to parkrun in Worcester but the pitchcroft event is cancelled this weekend. 

Gerard, as per above, I thought about but with the local fast course cancelled I can't be arsed.

yesterday was a spin and pump combo then this morning was 5k at recovery effort. Tonight then was 10 miles with 6 at my standard 160  bpm. this week I actually managed to complete the session for first time done London,  at 6.39 for 161. The humidity was ridiculous and i was drenched by the end. it was hard going compared to how I cruised there sessions over winter. 

that gives me 274 for May. I'm happy with that as last May it was 95 so this gives me a far better platform going into summer.  

I've just ordered a Garmin 645 having been using a 620  the last 3 years. looking forward to the new array of stats that gives me.