Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Haha curry was last night so it should be OK! DT I had to fill in a pre questionnaire, I think the idea is to test the salt/electrolyte levels in the sweat so that they can recommend a hydration strategy.

Good luck to anyone racing at the weekend!
  • G-Dawg said:
    10 hours of driving to Bangor and back tomorrow, picking the eldest lad up from uni for the final time.
    Will unravel myself at a parkrun on Saturday. May have a pop at sub-19, we'll see.
    That is a lot of dedication. My eldest was at Exeter which is about 3 hours each way on a good run so not too bad for a day (and she got a car after I'd done it a few times so was independent) but the other 3 are a lot closer (Cambridge, Loughborough and Warwick) which isn't so bad until they all want to come home the same weekend.

May all done, 182.5 miles at 8:44 average pace. My average is normally a minute faster but they were recovery miles and deliberately slow so we will see what happens in June. I was 81 miles behind my 2018 in 2018 target but that has got it back to 66 so that is about 9 miles a month over the coming 7 months which is achievable..
  • DT19 said:

pmj, what brings you to Worcester? not sure if you are planning to parkrun in Worcester but the pitchcroft event is cancelled this weekend. 

Daughter #2 has a boyfriend who works in Worcester (she is studying for a PhD in Cambridge) so we thought we would visit and see her there. It is a 5 hour train journey for her so she has stayed overnight and we will drive her up later today. Happens to be half-term and my wife is a teaching assistant so she is on holiday.

The initial plan was Worcester Pitchcroft (which is where the racecourse is) as it is right next to our B&B but she and her boyfriend are at the races on Saturday so I guessed there may be a clash. The other Worcester parkrun is about 3 miles away so I will jog there and back for an easy 9 with a brisk middle.

If you are running Worcester parkrun this weekend give me a shout. I'll be in a white Datchet Dashers vest.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - have a great time at the training camp.
    GM - yes, that's right. Looks like it might be 4 days rest now as Mrs GD is talking about coming back early on Monday morning. Sounds like your legs are in fine form.
    Poacher - good luck on Sunday. I know Baslow, but I didn't take up running until after my Cliff College days. Unlike King's Lynn, there would certainly would have been plenty of opportunity for hill training. The road up to Curbar/Froggatt Edge would be a killer!
    PMJ - is your wife not particularly observant then?! Have a good weekend.
    Birch - still time for another 4 weeks of consistent consistency.
    GD - nice recovery meal. Good luck with parkrun if you decide to go for it.
    Leslie - good effort at the club session.
    Rest day 1. Waiting for the calves to start complaining.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Oops - missed this page.
    DT19 - that's a cracking run and good miles too.
    PMJ - Miss GD the younger has gone off applying to Warwick for no particular reason. Her preferred choice is York, or possibly Durham or Bath (but if her results aren't good enough to get into York then Durham and Bath are most likely out of the question anyway!) That might all change once she has been to visit of course.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

pmj- You have 3 children all at uni at the same time??

Yes it is ladies day at the races tomorrow which apparently requires a much larger scale of set up so the parkrun is cancelled. Though as I ran around there last night there was quite a lot of setting up already done so no idea what else needs doing.

The Worcester woods parkrun I have never been to. It is the original and more popular Worcester parkrun. It is a trail based run as far as I understand it.

Gul- The problem with Warwick is that its pretty much in Coventry and there isn't a great deal going on (outside the student bubble) in either place. I think when my kids are looking at this sort of thing i'll be inclined to push them towards city universities.

Just to correct an error above, it was 174 for May not 274, unfortunately!

• Gul Darr said:

PMJ - is your wife not particularly observant then?! Have a good weekend.

More she likes her sleep. Her preference is to stay up late and get up late but I like to get into London before the traffic so my usual waking hour is (early by many standards, not yours) about 5:30 so at the weekend I can have a lie in till 7, do a long run, shower and then still be up ahead of her.

DT19 said:

pmj- You have 3 children all at uni at the same time??

Yes, but it is cheating as #2 is doing a PhD.

#1 started at Exeter in 2010 and did 3 years Sports Science and 1 year PGCE, ended in 2014
    #2 started at Cambridge in 2012 and did 3 years BA to 2015, 1 year MPhil and is into 3 years of PhD ending late 2019
    #3 started at Loughborough 2015 and is about to finish her 3 year maths course then 1 year PGCE
    #4 started at Warwick 2017 so is nearing the end of his first year. No clue how long he will do: 3, 4 or 5 depending on masters and year in industry. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    'unintended' offence???? It seems to slot as well into the definition of intended as I can imagine. 
  • Don't feed the trolls.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - if Mrs GD slept in that late I could do some serious VLRs!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    DT great months total even if not 274 and cracking tempo of low hr,must have a look at that watch mine is ancient now although still working fine (garmin 405) but no stats to look at !
    Gul enjoy a little rest and maybe even a lie in ,you might even like it !
    PMJ nice time management wit the weekend runs.

11 very slow tired legged ones this morn , was close to stopping twice at 7 and 9 mile as just running out of gas but made it back (9:38 average)
    20c and very pleasant out but torrential rain forecast for later today. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Enjoy the extended break. 

Leslie - Well toighed out on the 11 miler. 

Just shy of 6 for me today at 7:11 avg, jogging to begin with and a little pick up at 3 to the end. Was supposed to be be an easy run but the legs felt good. Might do parkrun tomorrow 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Uhmm I need new shoes too. Rest day today but hoping for a parkrun blast. Looking forward to a weekend home without any travel. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm looking for new Boston boosts for mara training but can't find a good deal at the mo. Enjoy your weekend at home. Parkrun no doubt? 

Birch - Plenty of time to get in 10k shape. A good few weeks and you'll have a good run. Sorry if you said already, but is the course local? If so, can do you do a little recce? 

Poacher - Meant to say earlier. Good luck for Hudders mara, just had a look on the website and saw this. Sounds interesting!  ;) 

The Route: is certainly a bit different. With a one lap for the Half-Marathon runners and two for the Marathon, its a hilly opening few miles before a kinder run in to the finish. It's challenging, its the toughest road marathon in the UK!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard forgot to say in answer to your question ,no more 5k's planned yet,there was one last night but it would have mean't binning Thursdays session and my long run yesterday and I need some long runs more.Enjoy the parkrun.
    Poacher enjoy another tough mara ,that ton of mara's is edging closer. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
     ** PB KLAXON! **
    Unfolded myself from the marathon drive yesterday and pitched up at Bushy Park  for a tilt at a sub-19 parkrun.

Warmed up with 2 miles at 7.13 pace and Felt OK despite a big Chinese take away and a few beers last night.

This time I had a plan to try and narrowly beat every split from the PB set 2 weeks ago and it seemed to work. I also wore my Inov8 Talon 250 trail shoes as they are very light and give good grip on slippy grass sections.
    First mile was 5.57 which felt OK but the second mile is a bit more technical and I found myself blowing a bit hard. That split came in at 6.09, once it was done I pushed on and did the third mile in 6.02 and gave everything for the final bit.

Scored 18.47 which is a PB by 16 seconds. 27th out of 1313 and 2nd in age category. WAVA score of 78.53, my highest ever.

Very happy with that. A good booster going into the next marathon campaign.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    poacher, I missed that you were marathoning tomorrow. good luck. Still doing the Dragon ride next weekend as well?

Nice running, Gerard.

Leslie, well done on the 11. I am moving from a 620 which gives some decent stats but the new one is a whole new game. It's my reward for coming back from a bleak January to post 5k and half pbs (had the race not been short) and a good London in the circumstances. 

g-dawg, great work smashing though the 19 barrier and a lovely wava. Try it without Chinese and beer and you may shave more off. 

I went out yesterday lunchtime planning an easy 7 to set myself up for a 50 mile week with 15 tomorrow. Thursday's running followed by another hot and humid day Friday meant it became 5k at recovery. Spin and bodypump this morning. Will get out early tomorrow hopefully for my 15. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - Congrats on breaking 19, funnily enough when I did on my local one it was the exact same time and did the same the following week. We now have matching pb's but your WAVA is WAY better! Well done pal! Things have gone downhill for me since though.

DT - Enjoy your 15.

Parkrun for me today in glorious conditions. Little warm up consisted of a mile a bang on 7mm. Leg check, all seemed ok. Quite a few 16 min guys there today, so I knew I'd be well down the pecking order. 1st mile came in at 5:59 and 6:00 was the target, that was on the only target I hit today as I seemed to be way working way too hard and once I hit the trail path with 2k to go there was no bounce. Crossed the line in 19:10 and couldn't actually believe it. I was keeping an eye on my pace as I knew it was dipping during the 3rd k but it always does on that course but if felt like an 18:5x. Walked off in a huff and threw my sun cap on the grass. Had a proper strop with myself. What an idiot, never done that before but I was really annoyed at myself today. Somehow I've lost about 30 seconds or so in the last month, I think I'll take a break from it (parkrun) for a while and knuckle down and have a go when I feel in a better frame of mind. It should be a bit of fun and today wasn't. 

• G-Dawg - fab performance. Not just ducking under 19 mins but smashing it to pieces. Did the Chinese and beer help or hinder?!

Hope all the other parkrunners had a good blast out this morning.

Good luck in Huddersfield Poacher - thanks for the advice on Boston. ;)

Managed a few gentle 4-5 miles runs along the shore of the lake in Lucerne last week - very pleasant and it sounds as though I avoid some of the biblical storms in the UK.

Out for a long run this morning - there's a decent length loop that takes me down into Guildford along the canal for about 8-10 miles and then back along the North Downs Way to get home. So, just under 32 miles with 5 hours on my feet - rather ploddy in places but all good Ultra training in preparation for the Run to the King in a few weeks' time.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice one DT; ditto GM, no need for a huff over what is a very decent time.

Lorenzo 32 off road is an excellent VLR. 

I'm running Huddersfield as part of an ad hoc 3 week challenge - duathlon/mara/bike sportive.  Huds is fairly local and surrounded by lovely if rather hilly countryside.  Planning to plod round with as few spent matches as poss, even if it takes forever. Priority is the bike next w/e which is going to be tough.  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BTW Nicko are you going to make it South Wales?  The current weather forecast isn't bad, can't be any worse that last year anyway.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - excellent work, double joy of PB & first-rate WAVA B)   hope you've had a beer !

Poacher - have a good 'un  . . .  

DT - hope the humidity recedes for your 15 . . .

Lorenzo - 32 miles !  I tip my hat . . . .  and hope you too have reached for a cold one . .

Gerard - tough luck, but 19 mins ain't too shabby (tho' I know the feeling only too well of perceiving one hasn't done oneself justice )  
    mind you, a hurling down of the headgear is pretty restrained - you could have gone into full meltdown, as anothersportsman did today   . . . . 

. . . btw, my 10K isn't local - its in North Lincs, where my daughter was based (she's now back here) - she's entered partly to meet friends - so no recce (but very flat, I'm told) . . .    my son has entered also,  so, whilst it will be a good family day out, the Birch wooden spoon is a given :)    

5 mile fartlek this afternoon (finished looking like I'd been hosed down - humidity high here also, DT )  . . .     
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - Thanks, I was more annoyed I allowed myself to get so annoyed over something so trivial. Ah I see, is your boy in good form at the mo? I would imagine if he has carried through his fitness after his recent excellent performances then a big pb is on the cards? Good news that it's a flat one. I still think you may well surprise yourself if you can get a good 3 weeks of training in. 

Lorenzo - Wowzers and bravo! I just can't imagine being on my feet for 5 hours. I was just having a convo with a pal today at parkrun, he is doing his first round the rock this year, the 48 miler Jersey ultra. I can't ever see myself going further than a standard mara. 

Poacher - You'll be fit as a fiddle after the 3 events, not that you need to be as you always seem to be able to run off very little training. How far is the bike thingy? 

All is well again with the world. I stopped sulking not long after this morning and drove out west for a lovely 5 miler which comprised of cliff paths, trail and a barefoot beach run along the incoming tide. Parked off a quiet sheltered afterwards and chilled out as the tide was coming in. Glorious evening, wish I could have stayed and camped the night but had to get home. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous effort GD and what great place to get it.
    you too Gerard, as you say not worth getting upset about.
    I ran 18:38 at my local parkrun.Wasn’t feeling the
    love today but with several of my club rivals there I had to dig deep.
    Poacher you beast- all the best for the Mara. 
    10 tomorrow to land mid-40s again.
  • GM - as others say. 19:10 isn't too shabby but can understand you being disappointed if you felt it was a sub-19 run. My advice would be to get yourself out there again next weekend, perhaps with a different hat. :)

Never say never on an Ultra - you just need to have a chat with Poacher and he'll convince you it's "really good fun".

Smashing views on the evening run - rather envious.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Some excellent running going on this weekend! Congrats on the new pb G-Dawg!

The Adidas training camp was a good day out! The sweat test was particularly interesting. I came out at 63mmols of electrolytes in my sweat which is fairly high .They then gave some free samples of hydration products which are tailored to your sweat levels, will definitely be trying them out!

The Neilsen sisters (400m and 400m hurdle runners) did some technique drills and warm ups. All about trying to change to a midfoot strike, found this the best bit of the day and I'm going to try and incorporate these in training.

The only disappointment was you only got to try the shoes during the technique drills which were basically sprints. So quite difficult to get a feel for them. Did have an interesting chat with there tech guy though so I think I'm going to try the adios and the Boston boosts .
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gerard - thanks, he's just had one "competitive" outing since Manchester - bagging 1st in parkrun last week, with 16:42, so not in too bad shape, considering recovery needed after marathon . . .

speaking of parkrun, and offspring's form  - another fine one by you, OO - you keep popping them out, & how is your speedy daughter faring after her injury ? 

Stevie - sounds interesting - definitely in the area of "marginal gains", though . . . .   

out at 8am with my daughter today - 10 miles;  still very humid - we were both drained at the end . 44 for the week.  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Great pics GM

Great sweating Stevie, no doubt you all sat around afterwards swapping notes on who had the most magnesium. I am currently in Adi Boston boosts, quite light/comfy but wouldn't want to go further than 26.2 in them.

As for ultras, once you get to about 45m it really is a different sport and a good antidote to the road.  Lots more to think about and plan, like navigation, kit, trying to eat solid food, pacing etc.  People are put off by the distance, but actually it's the elongated time on the feet that's the issue.

Birch, we all get a wooden spoon eventually but your family's sporting efforts much be a source of pride.  I now have a spoon the size of a giant redwood as niece Poachette has followed a sub 34 PB at the night of the 10k PBs with a place in the GB 5k championships. Very made up, it's not bad for someone with a long hours pressure job in the city 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Stevie as we all sweat differently won't that determine how concentrated your sweat is? Let us know how it goes.

Birch I felt the same today- totally drained. Stuck in for 14 miles and my first 50 mile week since London but very slow and tiring, with avg. HR of 170 which is high for a plod. Junior is on her way back and had a decent parkrun at Hallam @19:26. We are doing the Blaydon race together next weekend so a proper test of where she's at. I think she'll hit form late summer at the earliest. Congrats to your son- that sounds tasty! 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    As for Huddersfield, I suspect the claim that it's the UKs hardest road mara is true. Total ascent is more than 7,000ft which makes it the same as the Comrades uprun but over less than half the distance.  Killer hills with very steep sections, plus it was pretty hot. A very slow run on a fairly brutal course and the medal/T-shirt were definitely earned.  Absolutely glorious scenery too.  Mara/ultra no. 85.  A week to recover before the big sportive now. Like a bunny in the headlamps..