Sub 3h15

Comments

• Great stuff from young Poachette - must be in the genes. How was Huddersfield?

Rest day for me as I was helping out at the Dorking 10s - a fab course but very warm conditions and a number of people needed medical attention at the end.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Poacher nicely toughed out but think whoever does the medals could do a better job !!!!!!!!!!!!

4 easy giving me 34m for the week.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher - well done for #85 (well done seems an inadequate phrase for a course with such a profile, and on such a warm day.  Nice T-Shirt . . .      
    as for Poachette - absolutely delighted to hear that news - I remember ( as do you, I dare say) she and Birchette competed in the English Schools XC at Heaton Park a few years back;  but wow !  that is seriously good work , and a different level - marvellous . . . .    please let us know how the 5K goes (when is it)?  

OO - great news that OO jnr is back in business - Hallam is where Birch jnr notched his win last week - let me know next time you're down here - we could have a smackdown (if you gave me 5 mins start)  :)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Leslie yes super marshals, drinks stations etc but organisation and medal could be tweaked a little. I’ve done some hard ones, and this was up there. Got to love West Yorkshire though, beautiful.

Given my performance maybe the R on the medal stands for Rank or Rubbish. Or Reallyuseless.

Who is racing next?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Well done on completing Huddersfield Marathon Poacher - a tough one in tough conditions.  Perhaps they should market it as a Comrades preparation marathon.  I'm assuming the entry numbers were low and it was a bit lonely at times?  And you forgot to mention the finish time ...

Your son is looking in good shape there Birch - what's his next target A race?

A very speedy Poachette and OO Junior as well.

Well done on the PR PB G-D - fantastic running.  And more routinely fast Park Runs from OO and Gerard.

Building the mileage nicely Leslie.

A 5m race for me next Wednesday, the Corby 5, described as hilly but I'm hoping that's not quite on the same scale as Huddersfield "hilly".

Bit of a poor week for me.  Two non-running days due to an office move that involved me doing most of the moving!  Back to it on Friday with 10 hilly miles, and then 7.5 miles with 3 miles tempo on Saturday.  Today was meant to be 16 miles which felt like a tough ask at 5.30pm with the temperature still at 23 degC.  After a couple of initial sluggish miles the legs started to turn over a little quicker and I got through the 16 at 7:44 m/m pace, just squeezing under my average 4:50 m/km psychological target for long runs!  Still reluctant to carry any water on these runs so a bit dehydrated afterwards!  And only 46 miles for the week - so I'll count this as a cut-back week!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    poacher, great stuff. That does sound like an horrific level of climbing, for which I'd  want a much cooler medal. 

Gerard, don't beat yourself up, when you lose the pace in a 5k it tends to go much worse than other effort levels.

Lorenzo, I had to read your post twice to get. I was expecting g a 17 or something. I can' imagine doing that ever!

Stevie, glad you had a good day. 

sbd, I was about to post that I was pleased to run 15 today for 46 for week....until you described it as a cut back. well fine.

building well, Leslie. 

Do I got out about 10. I decided to take o e of those running fist shaped drinks  bottles with some squash in. not sure it made much difference. I eased at about 12.5 miles, not terribly just enough to make it unpleasant for a bit. 

Welsh castles leg 18 next week. it' done at 9.1, but Strava stalk g last year' results it comes out closer to 8.85. due to has works it' s had to be rerouted do has lost 1.5 miles so it's now just over 10k which is a pain as I wanted a longer run. id rather they had added a mile on. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    getting out at 5:30pm on a Sunday, for 16 . . . .   excellent commitment, SBD  :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - well done persevering on tired legs.
    GD - congrats on the sub19 parkrun PB; great that you were able to put in a strong finish.
    DT19  - building base mileage nicely.
    GM - don't be too disappointed; it doesn't take much of a dip in pace to lose those seconds. Lovely pics. Sounds like theat scenery is just the tonic.
    Lorenzo - good training - what's the low down on Run to the King?
    Birch - hope you enjoyed the fartlek. Waved as I passed Sheffield this weekend. Also passed a sign for Rother Valley Country park :)
    OO - good parkrun.
    Stevie - an interesting training camp. I guess high electrolytes is better than low, but could it be down to slight dehydration? All very confusing.
    Poacher - congrats on no 85. I can vouch for the fact that it was definitely on the warm side in W.Yorks yesterday. Just stuck to the walking the hills, wimp that I am.
    SBD - hope you survived the office move without any back injuries. For a minute I thought you said 5:30am on a Sunday. Who would be so daft?
    Great weekend in a luxury yurt near Holmfirth. Though of Poacher as I lazed about looking at the hills and relaxed in the hot tub. Did a couple of walks and some swimming too. Out this morning for 7 miles inc 4 laps of the local parkrun course. I was aiming for 6 min a lap pace for about 3/4 of a lap and then 1/4 easy. First 3 came out at 4:42, 4:39 and 4:39, which was a bit slower than anticipated so for the last one I carried on and did a whole lap 4:38/1:24, so wasn't far off, probably just got the 3/4 lap point wrong!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    OO - They did a sweat test to determine the salt/electrolyte content before the recommendation. Apparently the content is determined by genetics so won't change much with age/fitness. I will give I a try for the next few weeks to see if I can feel any difference
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I haven’t been near the forum for a month due to holidays and real life. I’m back!

GD – Excellent PB, congrats!

Lorenzo – Brilliant long run – Good luck in the Ultra

GM – Lovely pics. Your Parkrun report made me chuckle. You big kid! :)

StevieW – That sweat test sounds interesting, although I’m always sceptical of recommendations when they try a sell

Birch – Your Son is a flying machine!  

OO – Good weekly mileage and a great Parkrun time

Poacher – Wow, that sounds like a brutal race! Well done Sir!

Leslie – Solid weekly mileage

SBD – That’s a nippy pace in a long run. You run your long runs about 30 seconds quicker than me!

DT19 – Were you drinking when you typed?:)

Gul – That sounds like a great weekend

I kept my running going well during my holidays but still managed to gain 7lbs! I’ve most of it off now and I’m only a few lbs over race weight. I ran a low key marathon on Saturday in 03:02:30, which I’m happy with as it was hot, humid and hilly. This was good enough for the win and I’m currently top of the Marathon Talk podium. That’s 67 marathons/ultras completed. The bloke who finished 2nd has run over 160 marathons with 110 sub 3s!

After the marathon I ran some more to bring it up to 30 miles for the day. Then on Sunday I did another 21 miles mostly on grass. It was a hard slog on tired legs but perfect training towards my next ‘A’ race. On June 23rd at 1pm, I’ll be starting the Energia 24 hour race at Victoria Park, Belfast. My goal will be to run over 220k (137.x miles) which is the qualifying standard for Ireland.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Badbark, it was late and I forgot to read over it, plus I have a new phone and I'm getting used to it. Some more incredible stuff from you. I've never known anyone decide to run a cool down to a marathon before!! Well done on the win and an excellent low key time! Good luck in the A race.

Nice lapping, Gul.

I've done spin over lunchtime as expecting a possible late one in work. If the late one doesn't materialise then I'll get a bonus run in.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Did I read that correctly, 7,000 ft of climbing? OMG, I would die. Well done on reaching #85. Poachette is talented, you must be proud. Do you get to see her run often? 

Birch - That's a very fast parkrun by your boy, I bet it's not an easy course either? I still can't get over his cross country running in PH earlier in the year. I was discussing XC with a pla of mine who is very quick also (73 half) and I mentioned your son's effort and he was like......ffs that's ridiculous but he did say that you Northerners are tough and them hills and fells make great runners. :smile:

Badbark - I love the way you enjoy yourself on your holidays and then nonchalantly cruise to a 3:02 marathon win on your return. Haha, I rarely lose my cool but  when I do all hell breaks loose and I start hurling headgear into wide open spaces! :smiley: How far behind was the guy in 2nd? That's a serious target you have there for the 24 hour run. I hope it goes well. Not too long now. 

Gul - I like the sound of your break, did Mrs GD have a good time? That's the first time I think I've heard you mentioning swimming. Was it outdoors? The sea has warmed up considerably here now and on a hot day it's actually really pleasant. 

SBD - Your long runs are quite speedy but you seem to nail them. Nothing wrong with a cut-back week, should hopefully freshen things up a bit. A hilly 5 doesn't sound too bad but then it depends on how hilly. 

Stevie - Re Adidas shoes, I've run in Boston boosts for about 3 years now and they are brilliant for anything from 5k to a Mara. I recently bought the Adios and they feel good too, ran a half in them without any issues but did a 15.5 miler and my feet were starting to moan. I don't think I would run any longer in them. 

Lorenzo - It was very warm here Sunday too, I hope everyone was ok? 

Leslie - Now't wrong wit that weekly total, keeping it ticking over nicely. 

OO - That HR avg seems very high for a plod. What do you usually average? I hope you feel less drained today. 

I managed to salvage a decent week last week and recorded 41.5 miles which is a bit more than I expected. Ran a tempo 5 miler yesterday in the heat and it came out at 6:46mm avg, it was ridiculously windy so I was working harder than I should have been. Got an early night for a change and decided I start the week off with a decent time on feet run for a Monday. Did a little warm up then ran up a steep hill, jogged for 4k and headed North east inland which means more hills and then down to the coast but turned around and ran back in the same direction to do some more climbs. Felt very good today for some reason and was surprised to see 7:15mm average for 10.25 miles with some big climbs in there. It was just one of those runs where you run to feel and my average HR was 150 which matches with how I felt. Max HR recorded is 206 but I generally don't get above 190's.

• Poacher - x-post. That's one serious marathon. The Picnic is "only" 6,500 ft and that's tough enough. Luckily it's got an 8am start so I'm hoping to be finished by 1pm.

Welcome back Badbark - tremendous exploits from you there and congrats on the 1st place.

GM - I reckon everyone was OK at the end. The lad who seemed to be most affected was back on his feed after the St John's crew had been looking after him. Good pacey one from you today.

Belated stats from May: 146 miles running and 568 on the bike. Back on two wheels today for just over 50 miles of commuting. Will probably do the same tomorrow.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Excellent numbers Lorenzo. I'm sure hard off roaders are harder than road races, and the Picnic sounds horrific. Huddersfield's USP is the fact that it's got so many hills with sealed roads.

Nice work GM. Even nicer work BB, you are casually catching up and will soon overtake me.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Results from Huddersfield make grim reading. Winner finished 1/4 of an hour ahead of the field in an excellent 3.04, but in reality is a very decent 2.34 performer. First lady did 4.33, good effort off a 3.41 PB.  Only 7 finished under 4hrs, with just over 1/2 the field failing to beat 5hr. I ended up with 4.37 for 25th/71, not great but not disastrous considering I walked a lot (and up most of the hills). Brutal! 2nd slowest mara out of 72 finishes.  But perversely enjoyable to be running pretty much solo most of the time in such lovely countryside. 

Next Sunday: 153km extremely lumpy on the bike which will be harder. I was planning another cheeky mara the follow w/e, but maybe it's time for a break. Getting too old for this lark.

Birch - GB championships are in Brum June 30/Jul1.  She thinks its going to have TV coverage - very exciting for her.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going Poacher and B.B. tremendous race efforts. Poachette does indeed seem a real talent especially given her tough job.
    I had a good night at the track masters including a 4:49.9 1500 and an 8:25 800.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Badbark - you are a machine. Well done on another win and topping the MT podium. 137.x miles is a mahoosive target.
    GM - some good running there, especially the hilly stuff.
    Lorenzo - good stats for May. I've fallen behind in June with 0 for the first 3 days.
    Poacher - that sounds more than a respectable time to me given your description of the course and the conditions. Lovely countryside, but not really conducive to running.
    OO - excellent 1500m and probably a good 800m too, but I'm sure you didn't mean 8:25! 2:25, I presume.
    8 easy progressive miles early doors for me (9:00 to 7:42, avg 8:16) and then 6 steady miles before work (avg 7:44).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oops yes 2:25 for the 800M. Apparently my 4:49 1500 broke a V55 record in the league.

Which mare are you doing Poacher?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO quite quick for an old fella. There are a couple of NEMC maras at Gibside the weekend after next, convenient for you if you want a catered VLR. I think I’ll be too knackered and we’re at a big party thrown by a client on the Saturday night anyway.

nice miles Gul. I don’t know how you do it.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Back to business I see. :wink:

OO - Great track running. Just as a matter of interest what's your 1,500 pb? Are you in the V55 category now? 

Poacher - That doesn't look too bad to me given all the ascent. Good luck for that long bike ride. Sounds like a toughie. 

Lorenzo - Good to hear everyone was ok. I hadn't realised you had been putting in a fair few miles in the saddle. 

Anyone else notice all of our ladies (all two of them) have gone AWOL? MsE, Jools, pls stop by and let us know how you both are.

5 recovery miles for me this evening at a very enjoyable ploddy 8:43 avg. There was a 5k handicap tonight which I opted out of as I need to give my body and mind a break from racing but watched it and it was great fun. Cycled there and back which is a rare thing for me. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking times there, OO. Well done on being a record breaker.

More good miles from Gul too. Don't know how you do it.

Track tonight. Interval session comprising 15 x 400 at sub 1.25 pace with 60 sec recoveries. Each 400 had to be run at 5k pace for the first 200 then 5 seconds quicker for the second 200.

My splits were regularly hitting 1.22 but coach thought I could give a bit more and hounded me for the final 4 reps to hit around 1.18 to 1.20.
    Strangely enjoyed the session despite wobbly legs at the end.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    poacher, the stats say more than enough! well done on simply doing that.

oo, great work on the 1500 and 800. congrats on the league record. 

gul, good to see normal service gas resumed. 

great 400s, g-dawg. 

that's some bike commute, Lorenzo. 

Gerard, some decent runs.

last night was a late one at work but it got to the point where a bit longer didn' matter and I really wanted to enjoy the better run weather so went out for 5k recovery.

Then this morning 5 miles at recovery effort on a hilly loop came out at 7.55. then an unanticipated further opportunity tonight gave me a standard 160 steady effort. Iv'e found these tough going last four weeks . Tonight was very different. 4 miles at 6.35, 6.30, 6.28 and 6.19 for 6.28 average and a comparatively low hr of 157. Acvording to strava my average hr for the 6.19 mile was only 164. pleased with that especially with this morning's 5 in the legs. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    GM - good to take it easy now and again.
    GD - that's a tough session; no wonder you had wobbly legs.
    DT19 - impressive pace for a low/moderate HR run.
    9 miles with 15 x 400m tempo / 400m easy intervals this morning. Didn't take splits, but nothing like GD's impressive pace, somewhere around 10k pace effort I would guess. Avg pace overall was 7:25 m/m. Then the usual 6 easy to steady miles to work, avg. pace 7:57.
  • Gul, a double before work is serious stuff. How long between the two runs?
  • Thames Valley Association of Running Clubs 5k Summer Series Marlow

Oddly named event, as it actually happens at Hurley but there you are.  For me, this is one of the events I try and do as it is a fairly fast course split into chunks that make it easier to manage mentally. It starts right down on the water meadows by the Thames so a fast start downstream towards the lock across what is quite rutted grass and a track but then turns right and right again onto the tarmac service road that runs alongside the caravan park. At the end of the road left and left again onto SHepherds lane that runs parallel back into Hurley Village, left and left again and the second run down the service road before a couple of rights and a tight gate to bring you back into the meadows to finish along grass. 

The race is the 4th in 4 weeks for the series but I missed the first but it was still the 3rd 5k in 3 weeks but the first where I felt I was in some sort of form. I've got in 4 weeks of 40 miles since my gout calmed down and 2 weeks since the first faster runs so long enough for their training benefit to start to show. Aim was sub 20 which is about 6:26 pace. I held back a bit at the start of the others but chose a spot a bit further forwards so maybe 3rd row. The couple behind me discussing estimated finish times "23 or 24 minutes". FFS use some common sense, 100+ will be sub-23 so 10 rows back, not row 4. 

Off we go, first bit on grass, then an odd dogleg through rows of cars to avoid the puddles on the track before eventually joining the track. I'd parked a mile away (to make me do a cool down) so my warmup was probably a bit too long in advance and I felt the early pace but told myself the breathless feeling will go. Get onto the service road and smooth tarmac and settled in. Towards the end of the first mile, a couple of runners I knew (Andy Irvin followed by Satnam Singh) came from behind and passed so they must have suffered poor starts. First mile 6:10 and the sub 20 looks to be on. Couple of corners and we are on Shepherds Lane and there are runners lined up ahead and they are coming back towards me so I have a steady set of targets to pass. A lot of these are Maidenhead AC youngsters who I was behind in earlier races in the series so good signs. Oddly they have their names on the back of their vests so I recognised them by names from behind. 

Two more left turns and the watch beeps at 2 miles, 6:28, (autolap on and set for miles) so a mile and change to go. Back on the service road and it is a case of consolidation. One or two runners pass but things are pretty stable and then it is two last turns and onto the grass to finish. Funnel appears in sight and a last push to ensure nobody passes in the finishing stages. 19:29 on the Garmin but I expect official will show 19:30 and GPS says short but the trace also cuts all the corners. Lots of PBs so probably was short.

So, sub-20 done. The 3 races have come out as 21:42, 20:57 and 19:29 so that is the easy part done. The hard part is looking at a way to chip away at those last 29 seconds for an 18.xx.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - As always, great reporting. Doesn't sound like a particularly quick course with all those turns and different terrain, so a very good run. Is there a fast parkrun that you could do or will it be another "road" 5k to aim for the sub 19? We have one a month here (road 5k) with our local club. There's also a corporate cup series on part of the same course but I can't ramp myself up to run 18 mins on a lunch hour and get back to the office and pretend it never happened.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done PMJ- good luck with the 29 sec. challenge!

Poacher I saw that mara at Gibside, several laps I believe and quite hilly. Tempting but not sure it will do me much good right now.

Gerard that was my 1st ever 1500 and my 2nd 800- apart from school days. So those are both PBs :) I was told it was a record for 1500, but turns out someone ran much faster last year so not so.

Rest day yesterday but will go for a long one tonight.

That's a tough session G Dawg no wonder you were wobbling...

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    GUL 14 yesterday and 15 today BEFORE work your a machine !
    0054 5:10 pace for nearly a mile, speedy indeed.
    Gdawg very fast reps.
    DT19  nice fast 4 mile for such low hr, similar speeds to my club session last week though I suspect my hr was north of 195 !!!!!!!
    Gerard enjoy a little rest and yes where the fast ladies .
    PMJ well done, great comeback and you will be sub 19 soon I suspect.

12m this morn 19c and cloudy perfect ! much easier than last weeks pain fest as I didn't do an all out session the night before 12@ 8:28 with a 7:41 and 7:28 near the end .

MSE
    Jools Anything to report ladies ?????????????   :)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ - great report and well done on the steady progress. Good luck with the sub 19 target; might take a bit longer to achieve. I finished my first run at 6:20 and started my second at 7:59, so around 1hr40 in between. I've changed my morning routine and only have an hour or so to play with, so I thought I would experiment with running to work (or rather run to work and drop off bag and do a loop as time allows). Seems to be working well. Not sure if the lack of MLRs is compensated by the higher mileage, but I've now been on the new routine for about 6 weeks and so far so good.
    OO - still a very fast 1500m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going Leslie glad it felt easier!