Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - cracking mile reps. You are in fine form for the 24hr endurance event. Will check out David Goggins later. Any relation to Mrs Goggins?
    GD - good pace for such a run.
    PMJ - looking good.
    GM - some nicely paced runs. Enjoy the easy ones tonight.
    SBD - good racing; hope you can get the upper hand on Bedford man in the remaining races.
    OO - I'm sure you have room for a few retirement meals. I presume you will be returning to the office before you retire to collect your running shoes!
    8 easy miles this morning (avg 8:00/m) and 20 mins core strength.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not until July Gul- had to ask my boss to go and collect my used gear for me :(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi All, been struggling to keep up as work remains busy.

I can see everyone is cracking on nicely except for Gerard who was struggling to run a 5.40 mile!!!!

SBD, what was your time? I can relate to how you feel having had a similar experience last night.

Great 3k time, OO!

I haven't really given myself the chance to recover from sundays racing in that Monday was 5 miles and spin and Tuesday was 8 miles lunchtime and 5k in the evening.

In any event last night I had the choice of getting a long run in or travelling to Coventry for a 5 mile race. As my 5 mile pb is relatively soft (31.10) I thought that even though completely untampered etc I still should be capable of getting something from it. It was immediately apparent during the first largely downhill mile that I wasn't in racing mode, barely able to run faster than 6.10mm. Came in 31.22 on watch which was disappointing, but I take from it a good workout as SBD mentions above. My garmin had the elevation at around 250 feet which is quite a lot over 5 miles and when trying to run at the upper end of your paces. My average hr tells me enough though at 168, a good way below racing hr.

5 mile recovery this morning. I am going to have a few days off now Friday to Monday just because it feels right and I have so much happening next 4 days I would be shoehorning anyway.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - You run very fast when it matters. Shame about the trainers but at least you'll get them back.

SBD - Sounded like a good race that. Hilly 10k sounds tough but fun.

G-Dawg - Haha, you're gonna have great craic. Whereabouts are you staying?

Gul - When are you parkrunning next?

DT - That sounds like a decent run given the elevation and not feeling 100%. Haha, about 1/4 of that 5:4x mile was downhill, on a good day it should be closer to 5:2x or quicker. I certainly don't feel that sharp at the mo but I'll get there.

Very easy recovery run for me on lunch today. 9:13mm avg, the legs felt ok but the key was to keep the HR very low and it came out at 59% of my max HR. Job done! I'll try get out later for an hour or so.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    In posh hotel on O'Connell Street, GM. First Guinness dispatched with no mercy!!  :
    On my laptop with colleagues, pretending to work! D B)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - The Gresham? Thirsty work! If you can get yourself around to Elephant and Castle restaurant in Temple Bar. I highly recommend it. Great food and a great lively location. The chicken wings are epic! 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark Is that 6:06  for each of the mile reps or 6:06 for the whole 9 ? fast either way though ! Not many 10 milers about so might as well and they usually have cake at the end !Then it will be a quick dash back to nightshift hell....
    SBD you have him worried and I love a good burnup in a race ,getting your monies worth there !
    DT19 still faster than most of us , great run on tired legs.
    Gdawg enjoy those pints !

Club session 1/2/3/4/5/4/3/2/1 mins on /60 secs off fartlek session
    paces a bit up and down due to a bit of wind on the loop along the river and an over enthusiastic start (6:10 pace for rep 1) but the 5 mins was 6:25 and then they were near 6:15 after that on the way back down as 1 put the hammer down when the guy I was running with was slowly badly after rep 3 and I wanted a hard session as I had been holding back a bit the last 2.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    SBD. said:

Good speedwork Badbark - what's the upcoming 24 hour race?

I'm running the Energia 24 which incorporates the Irish 24 hr championships - http://www.energia24.co.uk/ 

Good luck in your battle with Bedford man!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Hope you can do yourself justice on the day Badbark.

DT - 32:10 was the time but the course was not exactly conducive to PBs!  I've not run many 5 mile races but was hoping I could beat my PB of 31:48 set in 2010.  Given the remaining 5 mile race in the series, Harborough, is also described as undulating, it's looking unlikely!  That's still a reasonably nifty 5 miles from you.

Tidy club track session Leslie.

Nice HR control on the recovery run Gerard.  I've always found the HR data on recovery runs to be really useful feedback.

Good easy miles Gul.

6 miles recovery for me tonight - HR also nicely controlled at an average of 133 (max of c. 190).  Had been tempted to do some intervals in my quest for speed but I've got the Eastleigh 10K coming up on Sunday and an interval session three days out is more likely to do harm than good.

In my defence, it has to be noted that Bedford Man does have some pretty good previous form: Sub 5 mile, Sub 30 5 miles, Sub 60 10 miles and Sub 2:45 marathon!  He's not quite in that shape at the moment but clearly has plenty of memories to draw on!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Good training sesh. 

SBD - Sensoble to save your legs for Eastleigh. Have you run it before? 

Felt tired after work so sacked off a longer run and headed down to the track around 9pm. 800m w/up then one mile fairly hard cane in at 5:39. Avg HR was 164 so quite away off race pace. 178 avg is usually a good marker for me. 800m easy jog then 400m in 71 but forgot to press stop on my watch. I've never run a flat out 400 so will have to give that a go soon. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good track session Gerard.
    Heard your podium shout out on on Marathon talk B.B.
    Assuming wind is ok tomorrow I’ll try a sub 18 attempt at Ncle parkrun tomorrow.
    Anybody racing?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    OO - glad you have an understanding boss. Good luck with the sub 18 attempt tomorrow. Ncle?
    DT19 - still a decent race and good workout.
    GM - nice track work. No parkrun till July at the earliest. Tomorrow is my VLR if I get up in time and then a couple of weekend away visiting Universities with Miss GD the younger.
    Leslie - another good club session.
    SBD - sounds like your rival has some good pedigree.
    Just 6 easy miles this morning and some cross training at home (visitors coming at the weekend so with no run to work I had time to clean the bathroom and toilet!). Giving my legs a bit of a rest as I'm planning to see how many 6 mile loops I can do in the morning. I've given Mrs GD the Scarborough warning, so might get away with running till 9 or 10 o'clock :)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Gerard - That's a rapid 400 considering it wasn't flat out. Ive never ran one at 100% but I don't think I'd be anywhere near that time!

Good luck with the sub 18 attempt OO, and with Eastleigh SBD

7 easy miles last night which felt good. Trying out some superfeet insoles which I got custom fitted at the adidas event. Generally feel really good, stable and responsive however they are causing a big blister on the arch of my right foot. Will take them out for this afternoons run, going to try a new route and head for 15 miles down the canal.

P&D Advanced Marathoning arrived yesterday so looking forward to reading that over the weekend and making a start on the Abingdon plan!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    SBD stalking the competition now its getting serious , I recon you can take him !
    Gerard too tired to run then you crank out a 5:39 with hardly any warmup ,nice work .
    Badbark all the best for the 24hr ,I know you have set yourself a very ambitious target but you have done the training and you know what to expect.
    0054 Id say you have a good chance of sub 18 if the wind behaves.
    Gul VLR I guess is very long run ,good luck with it and lets see what you can do .
    Stevie if they are causing a huge blister at the arch your laces may now be too tight if the insoles are thicker than your normal ones , its happened to me before.
    I also did what seemed like a VLR today mainly as my legs were completely trashed after last night , Garmin reported 11m at 9:23 average but it felt more like a mara ...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good effort on trashed legs Leslie. Mine are the same so I've taken a full rest day.

Great cross training GUL- hope it's not on Strava ;)

Happy reading Stevie- should put the fire in your belly!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hi all - bit of an existential crisis this week (I knew I shouldn't have re-read "The Outsider")  :)     hence no running until today - 8 miles easy with chum .   Plenty of impressive stuff going on - out of my league - keep it going , folks  B)   
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Your recent 3,000 suggests you could be well under 18 on a fast course and hopefully with favourable conditions. Lol re the strava comment. I know a few who log everything from stretching, walking and get this.... dancing! 

Stevie - Not in the same league speed wise as OO but I think I could take a few seconds off 71 was a hard effort but not full on. Enjoy P&D, it seems to be the favoured choice of many a good endurance athlete. 

Birch - Back on the horse for the 10k. :wink:

Leslie - Well done on getting the MLR done. I was meant to do 80 mins but felt a bit jaded, no idea why I thought it would be a good idea to head to the track but I was more of a time constraint thing and forcing myself to do some work. 

Gul - Sounds like you're planning a VLR. Plenty of time to get sharp for your next parkrun then. 

3 miles on lunch along the prom. 2 very easy around 8:30's and then one hard mile came in at 5:49. Trying to remind my legs what the faster stuff feels like as I add the longer miles. Rest day tomorrow as I have my boy. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - enjoy reading P&D.
    Leslie - hope your legs have recovered.
    GM - very fast mile. Enjoy the rest and time with your son.
    So, 3:45am start and did 7 laps or approx. 42 miles in 5:53:10 or 5:43:33 plus comfort breaks.
    1. 51:43 8:37/m
    2.50:50 8:28/m
    <5:19 break>
    3. 50:09 8:22/m
    4. 47:55 7:59/m
    <1:55 break>
    5. 46:30 7:45/m
    6. 45:27 7:35/m
    <2:23 break>
    7. 50:55 8:29/m

Felt very comfortable until the final lap when my body was screaming out for me to stop. Guess I was paying for speeding up each lap.
    Have a good weekend everyone.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    blimey, Gul - that's some effort!  Impressive progression, too (I think we can forgive the last lap fade) ;)   Hope you find some time to put your feet up, but guess that may not be the case  . . . . .  

Gerard - have a lovely day with your lad  . .  

10.5 with my daughter this morn.   
  • edited June 2018
    Jeepers Gul - not sure what's more impressive: starting at 3.45am, managing 42 miles or the pace progression. Hats off to you as I think you might just have (temporarily) knocked Madbark off the lunacy podium

Well done for toughing out the sportive Poacher - hope the trip to the doc gave more encouraging news.

Speedy stuff from DT19, SBD and GM noted.

Not so fast from me on Monday at the Vets League - a 2.5 mile run from the nearest station to the track followed by a quick change of top meant that I wasn't feeling particularly sharp when I reached the startline. I was hoping to be competing against fellow oldies in the V50 800m race, but unfortunately I was "promoted" to the V35 race so watched the young 'uns head off into the distance at the gun. Still haven't seen the results but suspect it was high 2:3x so some way off my PB of sub 2:29 from last year.

Enjoyed the 200m a bit more as I was back amongst the grey haired crew.

Only managed about 20 miles running this week for one reason or another, plus a short blast on the bike on Tuesday - have post rationalised it as resting before tomorrow's London to Brighton bike ride (all part of my summer of madness: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lawrence-summerofmadness in which I'm helping out at the start on Clapham Common from 5am, then cycling down to Brighton to help give out medals / man the food tent at the end.

• Great run there Gul. 42 miles never to be sneezed at. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey Gul what on earth did you do that for? Lunacy indeed...
    Well I failed at my sub 18 attempt. 18:05 offial time but a nice 84:98 wava and Mrs OO and daughter number 2 both got a PBs so not all bad.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Pretty close OO and still very fast.

Wow Gul - impressive running on many levels.  Huge miles but the progressive splits are even more impressive.  That would translate to a very nice time at Comrades.  Was this a trial run for a future Ultra?

Enjoy the London to Brighton ride Lorenzo.

Good pace on the last of those three miles Gerard.

I've not run Eastleigh 10K before - it sounds like one of the fastest 10K races in the country.  Usually held before London but postponed this year due to the snow.  When I entered I had plans of making this a target race but it's just become another race alongside the East Midlands Grand Prix events.  Will see how it goes tomorrow - Sub 39 is the target.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Awesome ultra training Gul. I'm extremely impressed!

Amazing WAVA score OO!

13 included a 18:55 Parkrun for me today. Nothing but easy runs and a few miles at MP next week before the 24 hour.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Wow, just wow! My body would be screaming at me after the 3rd lap! I'm very impressed. 

OO - Great time on your parkrun and getting very close to your sub 18 goal. Super WAVA! 

SBD - Ah yes, I know about that one. A mate of mine came 2nd last year, ran low 31 and said it's a good one. Good luck with your target. 

Badbark - Very nice parkrun and adopting a sensible approach to your big race next week. 

Lorenzo - Still a decent 800 by the sound of it. It's a brutal distance. What was your 200 time? 

Football has taken over here. Footie training today with my boy, they've got a big tournament tomorrow against the best U10's in the island. So when we're not watching the World Cup we'll be watching the kids do their thing. I hope the rain holds off for the spectators. Back to serious training next week when I hope to do my first proper long run of the year. 18m is the target, seems like a walk in the park compared to some of the numbers on here. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gul - that is an incredible run! Insane mileage and if Badbark is impresed then you should take a bow!

Didn't get out for my 15 miler as I started feeling ill at work. Feel fine now but annoyed as it was my only running opportunity for the weekend. I'm enjoying P&D though and will try and get a proper weeks training in next week. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - hope you enjoyed the run with your daughter.
    Lorenzo  - good racing against the young 'uns and oldies alike. All the best for today's bike ride.
    PMJ - couldn't resist 42.
    OO - fabulous WAVA and so close to sub 18.
    SBD - good luck today. You are capable of smashing of sub 39.
    Badbark - are you planning the usual total disregard of tapering for next weekend? All the best.
    GM - sounds like a great weekend with your son. Back to the training next week!
    Stevie - hope you're feeling better now.
    So, I set out early 'cos I had a cut off time in mind. And it was instead of next week's Norfolk 100km race. Hoping to do some ultras over the next couple of years and was interested to see how my body would cope. Very encouraged by yesterday's run. I think if I had kept to 8:00/m or over I could have gone further (except for time constraints!) I lost 6 or 7lbs in weight, and had no breakfast before the run. Just a little water and a few strawberries during the breaks. Had a lovely meal at Prezzos with Mrs GD yesterday and so back up to the usual weight :) Legs feel fine, but a rest day none the less.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Gul that's might a impressive distance ,forget mara's its the ultra's for you now by the look of it !
    SBD how did you get on ?
    Might get a few later , had a big dinner now unable to move but was at Junior parkrun with my daughter then a swim this morn.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Keep those easy runs easy Badbark.

Are you planning a marathon campaign Gerard?

Hope you're enjoying P&D Stevie - I generally follow the schedules (55-70 with an extra recovery run) for my marathon campaigns.

Even more impressive give the sparse nutrition Gul and excellent that the legs feel OK. 

Plenty of time for a run Leslie - you know you'll feel better. 

Good conditions at Eastleigh 10K today.  Not too warm with a moderate wind.  Over 2,000 runners with 209 finishing under 40 minutes.  So plenty of company and shelter from the wind.

Sub 39 seemed like a good target so the plan was to keep the Garmin just above 3:50 and see how the race progressed.

Got off to a conservative start, 3:54 for the Km 1, and gradually started overtaking the runners that had gone off too fast, with the next two kilometres in 3:51 and 3:53. 

The course is pretty flat apart from a moderate hill in kilometre 4, which at 4:12 was harder than it should have been, followed by a downhill kilometre which, at 3:47, restored some of the damage and gave me a halfway split of 19:35.

Kilometres 6 and 7 were in to a headwind - held the first at 3:53 but struggled on the second with a 4:01. 

I had hoped to increase the pace over the last three kilometres but I was struggling to even maintain pace and came in with splits of 3:56, 3:59 and 4:00 (so much for the sprint finish!).

Chip time of 39:25 and 178th to cross the line. 

It was a good run on the day and it's always nice to run under 40 minutes.  I just don't seem to have the speed to go under 39 minutes at the moment!

Did a 4K warm up pre-race and a 12K warm down post-race to give me 16 miles for the day and 63 miles for the week.

Had plans to end a 10 miles race next Sunday but this would be 2 days before the next East Midlands Grand Prix Race.  So may scrap the race plan and just focus on training for a very hilly 10K where I need to beat Bedford Man!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great run SBD, Bedford man must be papping himself...

Easy 14 here for a 46 mile week.

Next Saturday is the North-East masters track & field champs. I'm planning to do 800, 1500 & 5k. So some of speed work this week.