Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Wishing you well pal. 

Baxk runnjng here albeit still not feeling wonderful. Tightness in the hip flexor and glute is easing a bit but lingering. Did a 5k at 8:1x pace Tuesday and then another one today progressive pace avg 6:45. Doing a corporate 5k tomorrow. Not expecting great things but hopefully I'll be feeling a bit looser by then. 
  • Have done 5 half marathons this year. Quickest one so far was 1 hour 32 minutes. Feel like I'm almost ready to go for my first marathon!

Has anyone got any tips for what mindset to adopt during a marathon, especially when trying hard to get a sub 3h15m time?

Thanks very much guys!
    www.runnersfirst.co.uk is a blog for runners. It aims to educate, inspire, motivate and help the running community. Check Runners First out now!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good work GM.  Do some people actually kayak or SUP round the whole island?  That would be pretty tough.

BB good luck with that.  I know of a very anaemic runner who has done 3h for mara and done well in ultras.

Gul - flying!

Still no running here, nerves heal at snail's pace, but I am going to try it out tonight with a short course duathlon just down the road in the Peak District (2.5k - 10k - 2.5k). If the foot holds up then light training is on the cards.

One for OO/Minni: the course for the Northumberland Coastal Run is looking good.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Can’t wait Poacher do you think you’ll make it?
    You are in the right place RF lots of great advice here and 3:15 certainly looks achievable. I’d suggest you book your race then build your plan with more miles, a few build up races and the mindset which is usually built on confidence and steady progress.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Badbark - good 10 mile race. Keep up the iron in-take. I've been eating kale every week day lunchtime for a while now.
    Birch - and nice easy 10.5.
    DT19 -  good training and nice pace for your hilly run.
    GD - cracking 10 miler.
    GM - pleased to hear things are improving, but take it easy now.
    RunnersFirst - welcome to the thread. Sounds like you've built a good base. Just take it steady and build up gradually.
    Poacher - hope all goes well with the duathlon and ongoing recovery.
    10 steady miles this morning (seems a popular number just now!) @ 7:40/m.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    DT - good t'mill session.  Re the spinning - do you feel this is useful, from a therapeutic perspective?  My VoGit legs, as regulars will know (don't yawn at the back) could do with any help they can get . . . .   

GDawg -   nice 10 - well driven, too :) 

Gerard - hope the 5K goes well (and that your legs, unlike mine, are loose) . . .

Poacher - where's the duathlon?  

RunFirst  - you seem to have a solid background, and a 1:32 half would definitely convert to 3:15, in my view (2 x HM + 10 or 11 mins). To answer your question re mindset - the most important "mindset" is first and foremost the one needed to do the necessary training. Then one can consider the racing mindset. I've found that standing on the start line with the absolute conviction that I've done the training, is the biggest factor in being able to handle the race mentally.  Good luck, and stick around  . .   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Runfirst- The mindset comes from knowing you have done the training and having a race plan.

Gul, Nice start to the day.

Birch, I see spin as having a dual purpose for me. It allows me to train at high intensity twice a week extra compared to just running. Plus, even a pretty hard spin session doesn't take anywhere near the recovery time, in fact no more than a few hours. Therefore I will often spin on a Monday after a long run and a Saturday morning before a long run.

Poacher, in May 2016 I had post viral neuropathy in my arms and temporarily lost all strength and manual dexterity in my arms to the extent I couldn't even open the fridge door, pull on socks etc. The recovery was frustrating and I would say it took me 8 months to recover full strength in my arms. So I can empathise with your situation quite well.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Yes, Kayak solo, surf ski solo, SUP solo. The on water distance is 40 miles compared to 48 on land. the 1st kayak home was 4:48, 1st SUP was 5:20. Pretty darn impressive huh? Good luck in your duathlon.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Great pic that Poacher, I'm sure I've seen that on tv as part of some race series?

G-Dawg - Haha yeah they wont last long looking like that. Very good 10 miler! 

DT - That's a decent amount of elevation for the distance. Good run. 

Gul - Indeed, 10 seem to be de rigueur atm. Nice run. 

Corporate cup went as I thought it would. Paced according to current level of fitness and pretty evenly paced bar missing a turn and having to double back on myself, not much time lost maybe 5 seconds or so. 19:13, very warm and really windy. Not ideal racing conditions but enjoyed the run and didn't go flat out so there are signs of improvement health and fitness wise. 

Off to Guernsey tomorrow for a weekend football with my boy. His team have a big tournament and are playing Everton and Bristol city among others. We're staying in a hotel right on the beach and the forecast looks fab. Could be a lot of fun. Hope to get out for a few cheeky morning runs before everyone else rises to keep things ticking over.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Badbark they are maybe comparing you with a normal lazy human not a serious aflete doing 100m a week which is skewing the results ,hope all is fine anyway .
    Poacher get well soon
    DT nice dreadmill reps 
    Gerard 19:13 is not too shabby with a gammy leg 

5k time trail tonight with each person set of a 10 sec intervals in no particular order of ability so no packs would form, time was 20:28 on a quite hilly 2 lap course which is my fastest this year so far.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good time there GM, in conditions not ideal for racing. have a great time at the football, sounds like a great trip.

Solid time, Leslie. Got to be pleased with a year's best.

RunFirst, wise words from Birch. If you know what training it takes to be in position to break 3.15 and you're able to see that training through, given your HM times, you'll be in with a great shout. It will be close but a successful campaign and decent weather on the day should see you hit your target. 

Another very warm evening here in the south. The club were in the local common on something called the Bedser trail, a 1km loop in the woods on a tral with some wooden platform areas. The coach marked the course and then added a 75m sprint finish, just for sh!ts and giggles!! 

He set me and a couple of others the task of doing 5 loops in 3.45. It was very warm but it felt nice to run with others again as the last 4 weeks have been just me. Legs were a tad tired as the heat and the previous night's warm 10 miler took their toll.
    Knocked out the loops and then ran home, bagged 7.3 miles for the night.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - and another solid performance. Have a great weekend with your son.
    Leslie - good time for a hilly course.
    GD - sounds like good fun.
    6 easy miles this morning.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Crikey DT that must been so grim, and requiring endless patience for the recovery process. You've come back strong.

GM those times for sea kayak and SUP are stunning.  Must be harder than running 40m, although not quite so hilly.

Nice season PB Leslie.

Birch - it was Darley Moor motorbike circuit down near Ashbourne.  Lovely part of the world.
    Anyway I survived my first encounter with running since the start of June, the injury seems to be OK touch wood. It was a short but nippy 2.5k run on a stony perimeter path, 9k bike on the motorbike track complete with hairpins and chicanes, then a repeat of the run. I went reasonably hard and felt the lack of fitness from the start. Slightly disappointed to finish 26/71 but first EOG55, although as ever most people of that advanced age have got better things to do than reinvent themselves as a slow knackered novice in an event where there's a fair bit to learn.   A good evening out though and handy practice in cornering and transition. I have told MrsP I neeeeeed a TT bike in order to be competitive, but the silence was deafening.

OO - the Coastal is on, but it will be a slow jog at the back, as ever with the pal who comes over from Luxembourg and says he's now so unfit that we will have to "roll" round.  You must be going for well under 1.30....top 20 finish or even better perhaps?
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I got my full blood results from the Doctor and it was an interesting read. The Doctor had told me there was an issue with my Liver that needs a further test in a month. However, I googled ‘high AST level’ and discovered it can be caused by exercise. I’d imagine we all have high AST, as levels are elevated for weeks after strenuous exercise!

My iron levels are a bit more of a concern. I’ve low Ferritin and a Red Blood cell count resulting in anaemia. Two common causes of this are a vegetation diet and distance running. Guilty as charged. :) Currently, I’m not consuming enough Iron and my red blood cells are being broken down by the running. I’m not going to reduce my running with Berlin in 8 weeks but will make sure to eat more iron rich foods. I’ve ordered a supplement to take for a while but don’t like to supplement long term.

I’m also just inside the normal range for Testosterone which is also a concern. The ‘normal’ range is 11.4 to 29 and I’m at 12.3. So I’m reading up on how to increase my T levels too. Unfortunately, distance running is another common cause of low T.

The good news is that all my other levels are good including B12, cholesterol, creatinine, thyroid, electrolyte, blood glucose, calcium, folate etc. 

I've felt a bit flat the last few days and hope the knowledge of anaemia doesn't affect me mentally in tomorrows HM.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Badbark, sorry to hear of these matters. Hopefully now you are aware of them you can remedy them quickly.

Poacher, the peak of my problems only lasted 5 days but included a very stressful day in hospital being tested for various things. It took me a long time before I could do press-ups again, something i'm always well trained at.

Leslie, nice 5k.

Gerard, decent effort. Enjoy your weekend away.

Interesting run over lunch. Was supposed to be 4 at hmp so targeted 6.20mm. At 2.7 miles I had to stop to dry heave. Often have that at a race finish but never in training and certainly not at that intensity. I pulled myself together and completed to 3 miles at 6.18mm.

I have to consider that I maybe harbouring a bug as I have had various bouts of squits in the last 7 days, felt knackered, had to stop at 14 miles on my 20 last Saturday and have a very sore ear. I had mostly put things down to the heat and increased training load but I think there are too many factors here now for that to be the case.

Tomorrow was always planned as a rest day, or a short recovery anyway and then sunday is 20 again.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are back running Poacher and in better shape than expected! I rarely get below 1:30 at the Coastal, but if the tide is out I would hope to. An age category prize and club position are the main aims.
    Sorry to heat about the blood issues B.B.- I assumed something like cryptonite was running through your veins. Nothing too serious I hope.
    In other news I retired today. I’ve taken a rest day after the party last night but will be out again with running pals tonight. Parkrun could be ugly....
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Happy retirement! One of the best days of your life. Frees you up to do so many exciting things. Work, especially indoors, is overrated.

I always thought sub 1.30 at the Coastal was a good benchmark as it must equate to sub 1.25 on the road given than running on the beach is so slow. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Happy retirement OO! Enjoy the celebrations!

DT 
    i hope the rest day does you good and you start feeling better .

Poacher - glad to know the injury is getting better. I'll have to give a duathon a go, I want to go a Tri but my swimming would seriously hold me back. Always wanted a TT bike

Quick 5ks from Leslie & Gerard

Strength and core work yesterday followed by an easy 5 miles. 7 mile tempo tonight at 6.42 AVG, would have been sub 6.40 but had to cross a road and a couple of gates in mile 6 which cost me a few seconds. Felt much easier in the cooler weather and rain .2 mile warm up and 2.5 cool down for 11.5 total. 14 miles to do Sunday to complete the week.

Have a good weekend everyone!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - that's great news on the foot. Steady as she goes.
    Badbark - sounds like nothing that can't be sorted at least. Take care now. And go smash that HM!
    DT19 - yes, maybe just need a bit of time to recover.
    OO - congratulations - how will you fill all that spare time ;)
    Stevie  - good tempo run; coming along nicely. Rain yesterday evening here too - lovely just standing outside in it for a few minutes! Hot and humid again already though.
    17 miles early doors for me - the forum was off-line for maintenance when I got home. As the mara campaign has now officially started I thought I'd better fill the matchbox rather than empty it, so 8 @ 8:25 and 9 @ 7:55. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    DT - thanks for the spin pointers. hope your "lurgy" is receding.

Gerard - have a fun weekend on Guernsey . . .  

Leslie - you're back !  fine time trial :) 

G Dawg - nice session  . .   

Poacher - as you recently pointed out to me - 2/3 of field behind you, and AG victory is not to be sniffed at . . .    but guess you're right - most folks of my (and your) age are too sensible to do what we do.  BUT - the pic of yours, and my run location this morn, suggest maybe there aren't that many better things to do after all  . . 

Badbark - take it easy (relative term, I know) :)  hope all works out well  . . .  

OO - happy retirement - I've never regretted leaving paid work  . . .  

Stevie - good tempo session  . .  

Gul - splendid session there - have high hopes for your campaign . . . 

good family session today - up to the semi-rural 5K loop - met daughter for 4 steady miles (slow for her), then my son joined us, and paced his sister for 8 miles tempo (his steady pace) , whilst I plodded my own way in the opposite direction, so seeing them on occasion, then we all finished off with a mile together, So, 11 for me, 9 for son, 13 (inc 8 tempo) for daughter.  Nice morning. Off to local Wetherspoons soon, for br(l)unch with my friend.   
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's a good matchbox filler Gul - very odd having a marathon on a Saturday!

Nice tempo session Stevie - are you happy with how the coaching is working out?

That's a major milestone OO - so no plans for some consultancy work? 

Could still be just the heat DT.

Hopefully nothing to worry about Badbark.  Good luck with the HM.

Great news on the first running test Poacher.

Speedy loops there G-D.

A good marker on the 5k Leslie - you'll be under 20 minutes before you know it.

A welcome break in the weather for yesterday evening's run.  Felt relatively cool and even had a few raindrops over the last few miles!  A steady 12 miles at 7:38 m/m pace.  It's been a while since it felt so relaxed but it looks like the heat is about to return!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Attempted parkrun after a 2am finish at the party last night. Still managed 18:30 inspite of tiredness and a thick head.
    Gerard it could work out that Jersey is my 250th parkrun!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice runs being recorded. OO that’s not shabby after a late night. Why don’t you pull an all night sesh next Saturday to give the rest of the field a chance.

Rehab continued gingerly at parkrun - never felt easy but 21.23/72.49% is much better than feared. I think going any distance will be tough though. Berlin looms and I would like to finish on the Sunday rather than miss the plane on Monday morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    congrats on the retirement, oo and to a very good park run off a late night and hangover.

Nice 17, Gul. 

Stevie, nice tempo. you seem yo be hitting those paces well despite warmth. though it looms like you timed it right yesterday. 

Poacher, not too shabby at all on the park run. 

Nice 12, SBD. On my journey home last night it began raining. the temp dropped on my car thermometer from about 23 to 15c. I was disappointed I had already done my days training. 

hope you enjoyed Wetherspoons, Birch. nice family trot.

7 miles easy for me this morning leaves me on 38 for week. 20 planned for tomorrow whichll give me my 3rd highest mileage week. looks like I'll have some cloud cover as well in morning. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good running, Team.

17 miler for me this morning. Hit the trails as I searched for some shade in this relentless heat as well as keeping it slow. Kept it to plodtastic pace to average 8.29.

Open areas had the sun beating down on me and could feel the energy sapping away, but that's OK, today was all about time on feet so just plodded along. Also had Badbark's words in my head on the benefits of slower running.

Good luck to the Sunday runners.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good sun avoidance on the long run G-D.

Hope you have a good 20 miler DT.

That's a reasonable speed Poacher - just need a bit more distance!

Speedy post party PR OO.

Missed the schedule 7am start for today's long run but conditions were not too bad at 8am.  The schedule said 16 miles but having missed the mid-week MLR due to a tight calf, I was thinking 20 would be nice.  On setting off, the legs were feeling a bit sluggish, so that anything above 10 seemed optimistic.  Stuck to the plan and managed to grind out a progressive 20 miles at an average 7:44 m/m pace.  Good to tick off the first 20 miler even if it was unfuelled and lacking hydration.

Only 60 miles for the week, but the calf, post sports massage, seems to be in good shape.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Stevie –Great tempo session

Gul – Nicely paced 17 miler

Birch – Excellent family running

OO – Happy retirement and awesome Parkrun after the party!

Poacher – Good Parkrun rehab running

DT – I hope your 20 miler went well and good weekly mileage

GD – Nice easy paced 17 miles banked. Wise words in your head… :)

SBD – Great 20 + 12 milers

I ran 20 miles total yesterday including a 21 minute steady Parkrun followed by the Dark Hedges half marathon. They changed the course this year and got the measurements wrong, with the first mile marker at 1.2 miles. This continued for the whole race so the HM was actually 13.3 miles. I finished in 1:25:30 but should have been about a minute quicker. I’m happy enough as it’s very close to MP with 8 weeks to go to Berlin. 85 miles total this week.

My 4 year old daughter ran a junior Parkrun PB this morning - 15:28

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, congratulations to your daughter Badbark she's obviously got your running genes!

14 miles this morning with a mate, legs felt heavy to start with but eased into it as we went along. 49 miles for the week which was almost my peak mileage in London training so happy to be there in week 3!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    that's quite a long run, Badbark. I really must get my son back to junior park run. 

Nice 14, Stevie and excellent mileage. 

Nice long running, SBD. You've ruined my pending thunder with the 'only 60 miles' comment. 

Nice plodding, g-dawg. 

So after last week's poor 20 and the midweek tempo issue I was a little edgy about today's 20. Fortunately the early morning forecast was heavy cloud. I prepped properly this week with some solid fluid intake and nutrition yesterday and a very early night. took my time this morning and ate a bit more breakfast and had more fluid. Went out at 8.40 with a similar plan to g-dawg. I targeted keeping my hr in low 140s for as long as possible. The conditions were much better and at 15 miles at 8.11mm average it felt effortless with my average hr at 142. Pretty much high end recovery/low end easy. 

Then the sun came out! Also I needed 21 for a 60 mile week it turned out. I struggled to keep my hr in 140s once sun came and last two were hard going. Ended up 21 miles at 8.12 for 146bpm. decent solid run and only 3rd time I've got 60 miles in a week. Plus I've covered my 2 x spin and 1 x bodypump. 

My last 4 weeks I've run 201 miles so this week is a cutback/taper. I've the Magor 10k Saturday morning which is flat and fast. I know I'm not in pb shape but I've not run a 10k this year yet so want a solid marker down, sub 38.45 in my head. Also that weekend last year I did a 10k that was equally flat in about 39.40 so it's a good marker of where my fitness is compared to then. I need 41 miles out of the remainder of July to equal March as my highest ever mileage month at 204. Seems more that achievable even with a cutback week. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - sounds like a great family session.
    SBD - some good steady / long runs in the bag. Pleased to hear the calf seems okay.
    OO - good parkrun all considered.
    Poacher - steady progress.
    DT19 - good mileage and solid long run.
    GD - good plodding.
    Badbark - looking very promising and congrats to your daughter.
    Stevie - good going.
    The weekend took a tragic turn on Saturday morning when a friend suddenly died. It was the same person whose daughter went missing a few weeks ago, you may remember. Even more heart-breaking as she was a single mum with 5 kids. Just puts things in perspective. Not surprisingly didn't feel like running on Sunday morning. Had a quiet church service for people to come together and light candles and dozens of her family and friends came along. 
    8 miles with strides this morning.