Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - that's really sad.  As you say - such events certainly do put things in perspective . . .
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - That's just awful news.

I really enjoyed the Guernsey trip. I managed to get out for a lovely short run along the wests coast early Saturday morning before all the boys and parents were up. The football was incredible, my boy's team played 9 group matches, won 7, drew 1 and lost 1 (to Everton), they placed 2nd in their group behind Everton and then went into the knockout stages. They brushed aside the likes of Bristol city, Braunton and Guernsey teams with ease to reach the shield final. Everton got through to the final as expected and our boys lost narrowly 2-1 to an excellent Everton team. They did the club, the parents and themselves proud. Hopefully back to some running this week before I head off to Amsterdam in a week's time.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    what a brilliant showing by your boy and his team, Gerard - well done to them :)
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your sad news Gul.

Great work by your boy Gerard - you must be hugely proud.

SBD - Really enjoying the coaching, I do feel I am slightly light on the long runs but my overall volume is up so should balance out. Also still plenty of time to get the big runs in.

8 steady miles on the plan for tonight followed by 6xmile reps on the track tomorrow, that will be fun in the heat!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sorry to hear this terrible news, Gul. Those poor children left behind.

Gerard, sounds like a very good weekend.

Stevie, what pace are the 6 x 1 mile at? Sounds like a very big session if it's faster than threshold pace.

I went out lunchtime for a 5 mile recovery run, however upon stepping out of the door the hike in temps was immediately apparent. Ended up doing 5k at recovery instead. Spin later.

• Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Reps at 10k pace so I will aim for 6.25-6.30 per mile. Although if it's this hot I may struggle with that!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - 250! That's a lot of parkrunning!

Stevie  - I've done 2 mile reps on the track and they are tough. 6 x 1 in this heat would be very good going. 

DT - 38:45 would be nice. What's your pb? I feel a million miles away from where I was when I ran 38:35 back in April in the wind and rain!

7K tempo on lunch along the prom, very warm again 26c and windy coming back. Avg 6:39, so about 4 seconds per mile quicker than last week. Starting to see a slight improvement health wise and fitness, but still nowhere near peak condition.i desperately need to record a longish run before I go away on Monday. Might have to be after work this week as the weekend is looking too busy. 

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that, Gul.  A school friend died in her sleep last year and she was a single mum.  We weren't close, but it was still hard to get my head around that someone who seemed fit and healthy could just go like that.  And her poor child...  It would have been her birthday last week.

Gerard: delighted for your boy's team, although obviously as a loyal Bristolian a little sad that City were beaten!

Nothing very exciting training-wise: 55 steady miles last week as my right calf is a bit tight and I don't want to risk it.  Hoping it will hold up for the 10k mob match on Friday.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing 3 x 1 mile tomorrow at about 10k pace. 

Gerard my pb is 38.18 set last November on a cool, damp autumn day. Also it measured on the shorter side of accurate which gave me a good 10 seconds or so. Saturday's course is a proper high end racer course and is bang on distance. I'd need to run 6.09 pace to pb which I think is a few seconds faster than where I'm at. Won't stop me trying however which may ultimately lead to an epic fail compared to if I went out with more moderate ambitions  
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Really sorry for your friend Gul, terrible news often comes so suddenly.

Sounds like you and your son had a great time Gerard!

DT19 some great mileage there I struggled for 50 last week, nudging 47.

I'm in Keswick for a week. Taking it easy ahead of the Coastal Run next Sunday. Lots of walking in the heat and rain...Still feeling strange about being retired and letting go of work.

What's the 'mob match' Jools? 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Awful news, Gul. Really sorry to hear that.

Congrats to the boy, GM. I was a kids football manager and coach for 10 years and know a little about such events and how tough they are to do well in. Great work by those lads.

Getting hotter in Surrey. Went for a 5k recovery yesterday to chalk up 46 miles for the week. It was 29 degrees when I got home from work so I elected to only do a 5 mile fartlek on the trails. Legs felt quite fresh which was a surprise but the heat certainly slowed me down. Averaged 7.05 but at least I felt the fast twitch fibres got a small workout.

Will try and get out early in the morning for another heat beater, but feel tired, so we'll see.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    And I did. 9 cheeky ones at 7.09 pace. Could feel last night in my legs. Still pretty warm at 5.30am.

Gives me an option to do a 4 mile recovery in the heat tonight for a rare double day.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive runs G Dawg considering the proximity. Looks like we all have to adapt to heat running for a few more weeks :)
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Really sad to hear about your friend Gul. 

Impressive training in the heat G-D.

5m recovery on the treadmill yesterday evening.  Need to run 10 miles this evening and 14 on Wednesday but early morning is not an option.  Will use the treadmill tonight but 14 miles on the treadmill sounds like more than I can bear so may have to venture outside in the heat.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - fantastic performance by your son's team. Good tempo run on the prom.
    Stevie - rather you than me with those reps today.
    Jools - take care of that calf.
    OO - enjoy the Lakes this week.
    GD - very tidy pace in this heat.
    SBD - close call between dreadmill and a long run in this heat.
    Thanks for all your thoughts guys.
    13 mile MLR this morning. Time pressure meant it turned out to be a MP run and that may have to be the case for the majority of them. So 3 miles @ 7:40/m and 10 @ 7:15/m. Long run this week should be 17 with 8 @ MP, but will probably stick to MP + 20 and 10%.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice training, G-Dawg.

Good little run, Gul.

SBD- the only way I think 14 on the treadmill is possible is by turning in a session. So perhaps 4 warm and 3 cool then some sort of pyramid of 1 mile at mp, hmp,10k- 1 mile easy- 10k, hmp, mp. I have done that before with shorter wu and cd and hit about 11 I think. It goes reasonably fast when broken up.

planning 3 x 1 mile tonight at or around 10k pace.

Looking very hot through to Friday so I am pleased I am doing most of my weeks miles on Saturday and sunday.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Mob match = local clubs racing against each other.  The more people you can get out, the higher chance of winning the team event, as it's usually something like 20-30 to score (presumably hence the 'mob' because you need a lot of people!).  We're up to about 60 at the moment.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You'll be well up there I'm sure Jools- sounds like fun in any case! 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    That sounds fun, joolska.

3 x 1 mile off 3 minutes tonight. As is standard now, it was bloody hot. Wanted to run them at or around 10k pace. First one was 6.09 and that felt hard work, however it seemed to warm me up properly with next two coming in at 6.04 and 6.02.

Taking into account I ran 21 Sunday and I'm doing very little else before Saturday now and throw in fresher temps and race day magic, I think I'm going to have to go out at pb pace and see what gives!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going, DT. Bloody hot out there tonight.

Got out for a 4 mile recovery on the trails. 7.19 average as I threw in a couple of strides. 13 for the double day as we all try to get around the heat one way or another.
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good luck Joolska! Sounds like a good bit of competition.

Decent reps DT, definitly seem in PB shape!

6 x 1mile of 60 seconds on the track tonight . Reps at 10k pace. Reps went 6.32, 6.28, 6.27, 6.25, 6.22, 6.17 which I'm really happy with. Average of 6.25 which puts me bang on sub 40 pace. Apart from the last lap it all felt fairly controlled as well!

Yesterday's 8 miles felt easier as well so maybe the hot weather training is paying off .
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the double, g-dawg.

Stevie that looks to be an excellent session what with the very limited rest and the progressive nature of the reps. I'd be very surprised if you weren't well under 40 come September. 
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    DT - Great reps. When is your race? 

Stevie - Likewise and in the heat too. 

Gul  - Nice MLR. 

G-Dawg - Great work! Yes I recall you mentioning your footie coaching background. My lads team are very good for their age and beat most local teams a year above and they're a decent level too. I wasn't surprised they did so well. Some of the boys are technically very good and really switched on for their age. It was a super tournament and it was a joy to watch the stars of the future playing great football. My lads team scored 7 headed goals which is unheard of at that age but they all seem to know where to be at the right time. 

Jools - I have to say the Bristol boys did very well too and they looked so smart in their red and white kits. Good luck for your mob match! :smile:

SBD - That treadmill session sounds like a toughie. 

Decided last minute to do a memorial 5k race tonight. It was in memory of a club stalwart who tragically lost her life in an airplane disaster in 2000 out in Africa. It was a hot and windy one again. Fist two k felt hard into a strong headwind and coming back was just hot! Came in at 19:07 with petty even splits and the last k was the quickest which I guess means I judged it well. Seeing some slight improvement and the injury seems to have cleared up. Current 5k pace is where 10k pace was a few months back but the weather is certainly making it hard work at the mo. Hoping for at least a 2 hour run tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul very sorry to hear the bad news.....very strong looking run today though bodes well for a cracking campaign.
    Gerard tasty tempo and fast 5k.
    DT19 speedy mile reps.
    Stevie big session well done.
    Badbark nice half mara ,hope your daughter has inherited the family running genes.

Club session 6x 1k with walk jog recoveries ,on my own mostly as the fasties disappeared into the distance for all 6 lol

Couple of secs  under 4 mins for first 5 then last which was 4:01 as I starting running out of gas.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Tough doing reps in this heat, Leslie. Well done.

Up early, again, beat the heat miles, again!!
    It doesn't help that I'm a rubbish runner first thing in the mornings, so 6 miles at 6.59 pace before 6.00am has to go down as a decent enough effort. Still warm even at that time.

Two rest days now, thanks to work stuff and then a 20 mile LSR on Saturday.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent early morning work G-D!

That's a decent pace on those reps Leslie.

Well controlled 5K in the heat Gerard.

A nice session on the track Stevie.

The pace is looking good for the 10K DT - you may even be lucky on the weather! 

Managed 10 easy miles on the treadmill yesterday evening. Even though the gym was relatively cool, I was drenched at the end!   14 is definitely 4 miles too far, so will need to hit the road tonight - forecast temperature of 26degC at 8.00pm so it should be fun!

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - good luck with the mob match - sounds fun.
    DT19 - great mile reps especially in this heat.
    GD - well done with the double. And cracking early morning run.
    Stevie - excellent set of reps.
    GM - very nice 5k.
    Leslie - another good club session.
    SBD - 14 miles in 26C? Good luck.
    6 easy miles this morning @ 8:18/m.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gerard, race is Saturday morning. Well done on the 5k in tough conditions.

SBD- Thursday is a definite rest day for me. I don't envy you with 14 to get down. The forecast for 10am where the race is, is 18c and some cloud cover. However the wind speed is up to 12mph now. The race is essentially 5k out and then back with first 5k into the wind and last 5k wind assisted, based on current directions.

Nice session, Leslie. It is definitely coming back week on week.

Nice relaxed 6 Gul.

I am planning an 8 mile mlr over lunchtime, keeping it very easy. I am annoyed as i've forgotten my running hat. I have plenty of hair so it's not life or death, but I prefer to wear in this heat.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hi all

some speedy sessions going on from a few - good work !  

good miles on the treadmill, SBD - my highest total on there is 8 . . .  

Gerard - steady improvement - maybe you'll get a cool(ish) and still day soon  . . . 

7:20 start today - up to the 5K loop - 1 lap solo, then 2 with chum, so 9.35 miles on the gadget, 9 in the diary.   Off to  this  tomorrow, so another low mileage week beckons  . .   
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good plan DT19- you seem to have done some quality training- lets hope the heat is OK.

That sounds like a decent effort Gerard for an unplanned 5k.

I did an 11 mile plod along Derwentwater lake today. Felt very sluggish but I have done 30-40K steps waking the last 3 days which might be a factor. We have not had any extreme weather here- today was the first sunny day this week.