Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    where do you extract the pace info? I can't see on Strava or garmin connect how that is done?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes that’s good competitive running Badbark so soon after Berlin- spend your prize well ;)

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    DT. I get the monthly summary from www.Fetcheveryone.com

My Garmin uploads go to Garmin, Strava, and Fetch.
    I also use Fetch to log all miles run in every pair of shoes. Have got data in there since 2006.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Excellent racing, Badbark!  Loved the report: from the comfort of my desk I was able to feel your pain :)
  • DT19 said:
    where do you extract the pace info? I can't see on Strava or garmin connect how that is done?
    At the bottom of the Garmin calendar I see

Activities: 28 Distance: 134.24 mi Time: 19:48:11 Calories: 15,902 C

so I divide distance by time to get average pace. 

I just found the same summary on fetch that G-Dawg sees.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

I see my monthly and annual summary in Suunto Movescount. I don't have a Garmin. 117 miles for the month and 7:22 average. Takes me up to 1,290 for the year for me. I should hit the 1,500 mark for the year with a bit to spare.

Badbark - Never a doubt in my mind that you would get that 2nd place. Great report too!

Stevie - Your recent 10k was impressive but this performance, even more so. You will probably go a good bit quicker too in the future. Brilliant time mate, well done!

G-Dawg - The golf was unreal. A friend of mine was there too. .

Jools - If you can stay healthy you'll be grand for a sub 3 attempt.

Birch - Your son is so fast. Well done to him. Glad your "gait" was ok and you had a nice run. The kids doing the XC is so cool. I love watching them run, it's just brilliant and quite an adrenaline buzz.

OO - I like the Spiderman pic, very good run too. I should have done parkrun too but opted for a lie in instead. Great weekly total. You should be good to go on Sunday. :)

Poacher - Great pics. Looks nice there.

I didn't run Sunday but watched the Super League tri. Those guys are built for speed. Young Alex Yee was competing too. What a runner that kid is. Such beautiful form. Did run today though. 7k along the prom in the sunshine but a bit breezy. Fairly relaxed pace and the legs felt good. I guess they should as I haven't been running much lately. :)

• The 5 millionth parkrun registration has just happened

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/athleteresultshistory/?athleteNumber=5000000

Runny MCRUNFACE (0 parkruns)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I ran an easy 9 today and the knee was sore. Tomorrow is my last run in anger before leaving for Jersey but I’ll bail out if it hurts.
    I’m in the 1900+ Gerard and should break 2000 some time next week- assuming the knee holds out.
  • Nick - sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it - hope things improve very soon.
    DT - I'm also contemplating a parkrun this weekend.
    GD - very fast training - hope the race is even faster!
    Badbark - excellently executed - really enjoyed the report too. Well done.
    I get my average pace and other stats from my spreadsheet ;) Although I have recently joined garmin connect. It's hideous.
    OO - hoping that knee will hold up.
    15 miles this morning at a nice steady 7:52/m. With GER a week on Sunday, I might do another MLR at the weekend, but not a long run. Does that sound sensible?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Great running and reporting Badbark. Nice to double the winnings!

PMJ- Is that genuinely the 5 millionth runner?

I use strava which seems to show me my average speed for current and previous week. Last week was 7.27 thanks to my mp half and 4 miles at threshold.

Nice 15, Gul. I always like to hit a parkrun the weekend before a target race. Due to this and the fact that I am away visiting family all day sunday, my last double digit run will be Thursday Lunchtime where I will do 11 miles. If GER is a serious target race, I would limit your mlr on Sunday to 12 miles.

Feeling the benefits of the taper, I was able to walk like a normal person when I first climbed out of bed this morning! Planning 4-5 at mp over lunch.

• DT19 said:

PMJ- Is that genuinely the 5 millionth runner?

It genuinely is, though I see it is now Sarah HEWITT which sounds like a fix to me given the connections to  Paul Sinton-Hewitt
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that does seem somewhat suspicious!!!
  • Badbark - Great run and report, congratulations on taking the 2nd prize!

Gul - That's a big and quick total. I quite like Garmin Connect but I tend to use the phone app more than the website

G-Dawg - I hope the taper is going well, when do you fly out to Chicago?

OO - I hope the knee settles for Sunday.

Nicko - Sorry to hear your struggling. I agree with DT, Abingdon won't be fun if you have to slog round and its probably not worth injuring yourself further

Thanks for all the congratulations, Im still buzzing from it. Looking at the splits I actually finished the last 5k 4 seconds quicker then the last 5k in the 10k. Although the 10k course had a bit to do with that. Sometimes I think I need to get it all wrong and blow up in a race so I can find my limits, definitely could have pushed earlier on Sunday.

Just 4m recovery at 8.35 last night and a rest day today. Legs are still a bit stiff but should be fine tomorrow for 9 easy miles. This is the last big week before a two week taper with 55 miles on the plan.

I'll definitely be aiming for sub 3 at Abingdon but I'm not sure what MP will be.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's great work, Stevie. I did Abingdon last year and equalled my PB (3.09).
    On the day, we had the tail of Storm Brian and the wind was blowing us back at times. I learned a lesson too, there were fewer water stations than I'm used to and in retrospect, I realise I'd let myself get dehydrated. I stopped to puke twice in mile 23, my only 8 min split and that contributed to not getting a small PB gain.

It's not a fully closed roads route, so there are some pavements to jump on and off of. However, it's well organised and the volunteers are smashing folk. I was warned on here (Poacher, I think?) to watch out for the little incline in the last mile, nasty!

I fly to Chicago on Friday. Got all the pre-race admin and research done, just need to sort airport transfer out to downtown Chicago. Anyone ever been?
    Disaster on the weather front. Thunderstorms and 20 degrees forecast. Looks like a PB tilt is off but I'll just enjoy it and see what number comes out at the end.

4 x 1 mile reps at MP with 60 sec breaks tonight at our brand new track. Will seem easy as I'm guessing new tracks are faster than old ones.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

5 at mp today over lunch. It went ridiculously well. Effort felt like there wasn't really any. Splits came out 6.45, 6.47, 6.47, 6.47 and 6.45 and HR was right down at 154. Legs felt very good. Gave me a new highest watch based vo2 max reading of 62 as well. Hopefully it's all coming together just when I need it to.

Everyone around me (work and home) are rough. I am walking around with anti-bac gel in my pocket now.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    GDawg: I went with a tour company so we had a minibus from O'Hare...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks Joolska. Have researched the cheap train network and will go with that.

Nice to do a rare track session tonight. Ended up with 5 miles all at around 6.50 pace. Chatting most of the time, all very comfy. Just need to sort these sore Achilles out and I can claim fresh feeling legs.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well we are all set for Jersey and a meet up with Gerard for pre race parkrun. The knee is still not right and my back has come out in sympathy but hopefully 3 days of rest and holiday should fix both.
    15 degrees and breezy is the forecast for Sunday.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - the horse guy is a 17th c Cossack freedom fighter. Good city to run in, but I still didn't see anyone else even jogging.

Nice running BB et al

Good luck OO and GM

Yes that last mile at Abingdon is not what you need when tired - slightly uphill away from the town centre, then a chicane through a car park onto the athletics track for 300m to the line. Where glory awaits.

GD - I ran Chicago years ago (2005), we got the cheap train from the airport which was fine.  O'Hare is a massive place so there there should be plenty of options.  Seem to recall a longish bus shuttle to and the expo though.

Up to eyeballs here but as MrsP is abroad I am going to sneak in another mara on Sunday at Chester. Slow and steady and enjoy the scenery.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Stevie - about MP - before I finally cracked the sub3 barrier (at Abingdon) I did some number crunching about splits, looking at everyone who had gone 2.59.00 - 2.59.59 in London for the previous two years.  Obviously the course is different, and arguably the 2nd half is slower than the 1st at VLM.  But it was very clear that (a) almost no-one who scraped under 3hrs did a negative or even split (b) a few people went out very fast, 1.20-ish, then detonated (c) nearly everyone did 1.25-1.29 at half way, with the bulk doing something close to 1.27 - 1.28.30.   Although "experts" are forever advising even or neg splits, in practice that's very hard for the amateur to achieve and the statistically proven strategy is to have 2 or 3 min in the bank.  I think we all know this intuitively anyway, and the numbers backed it up FWIW.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Poacher, I think that advice generally applies to most marathons as amateurs.

I think it is very true to say that if you are running a mara at your capacity effort a negative split is very unlikely. I think the trick is knowing quite what to bank without pushing the effort too far so you detonate in the last 8 or so.

6.45 pace is 1.28.30 which is what I am targeting at half way or thereabouts. I'm not sure if that'll be enough to cope with the inevitable fade but I think anything faster and I risk a disproportionately bigger and earlier fade.

Enjoy Chester, what number will that be?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    DT- you'll be straining at the leash come the marathon (Yorkshire marathon is on the 14th, the same day as GER?)
    Stevie - are you getting me mixed up with GD? Don't think I mentioned what my average pace was, but the other GD's is very fast! I wouldn't recommend going for bust with your MP btw, but sub 3 is certainly within your capabilities.
    GD - Chicago has come round quick - you must be buzzing by now. Shame about the weather forecast though.
    OO GM - good luck to you both. Hope your knee (and back) play ball, OO.
    Poacher - sneaky indeed! How's the foot?
    6 easy miles this morning.
    Re negative splits. Yes, a small positive split is probably optimal for most people, and then there's Badbark ;)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    The foot is, well, on the end of my leg, which is something.

DT - spot on - banking too much is a disaster, the split should be ideally be several minutes slower than one's HM PB.  Some lucky people can convert off a 1.29 HM but sub3 is much more likely off sub 1.25. I never stood a chance until getting the HM well below 1.25, at which point sub3 suddenly became relatively easy. Although still v hard.

Birch - what was your HM time when you were knocking off all those 2.XX's in your illustrious past?

87 - but no chickens can ever be counted until the finish line.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Poacher very sneaky ;)
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    As someone who has run 19 sub 3 marathons :smile: , I would agree that 6:45 m/m is an ideal goal pace. This is what I would target until 20 miles. Then it's just a matter of holding around 7 m/m pace over the last 10k. I find this helpful both physically and mentally.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty much what I did at Paris this year. Sadly the wheels came off at 20 but worth a try :(
  • Thanks for the advice re: Abingdon all - sent an email to officially withdraw so that I don't make a stupid last minute decision to do it. A bit of a weight off my mind now and can just get throught the 2 halves, work on strength and better base before a next proper go at it.

Stevie - best of luck for the sub3 - I really hope you achieve it. Just don't go out too fast!

Can you let me know what your training plan since London has been? I think we were at a si6 milar level in April and obviously now you are eclipsing that so be good to look at how you have achieved it.

6 miles last night; mile warmup then 3 @ 7:30, 2 @ 6:55 - moderate/hard effort but hammy/achilles feeling not awful.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

Badbark, impressive total!!

The problem then is the discipline not to push to far beyond. In the middle section (9-12) of Brum last year I posted some 6.35-6.40 miles and it all felt good. A bit of uphill and wind resistance and by mile 16 it was over! My pace range is 6.45-.6.50 with an aim to sit on the faster side of it.

Often hear advice on marathons to run at pace until 20 miles then give it everything. For me this isn't great advice as 6 miles is a long way still and even a blow up in mile 24 can lose you 10 minutes. If I get to 20 miles at 6.45 and feel good, aside from being delighted, I wont be pushing my pace on to try and grab more time. I'd rather see it out sensibly and simply preserve my position.

Nicko, good decision!! You can start planning now towards a spring mara without tapering and recovering for 6 weeks chasing what was likely to be a fools errand.

Poacher, my half's have been below 1.25 for 2 years now so I am hoping that with the additional miles I have put into this cycle, i'll convert better than I have done. 

GUL- Yes, just so we are clear on this, the Yorkshire mara is the same day as GER.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

Badbark, impressive total!!

The problem then is the discipline not to push to far beyond. In the middle section (9-12) of Brum last year I posted some 6.35-6.40 miles and it all felt good. A bit of uphill and wind resistance and by mile 16 it was over! My pace range is 6.45-.6.50 with an aim to sit on the faster side of it.

Often hear advice on marathons to run at pace until 20 miles then give it everything. For me this isn't great advice as 6 miles is a long way still and even a blow up in mile 24 can lose you 10 minutes. If I get to 20 miles at 6.45 and feel good, aside from being delighted, I wont be pushing my pace on to try and grab more time. I'd rather see it out sensibly and simply preserve my position.

Yeah, I’ve never understood that advice. To me it takes many times the effort to maintain pace over the last 10k compared to the first 20 miles.

I view the 6:45 pace as an average over the first 20 and wouldn’t get too hung up on each mile.

• Interesting that you all favour a slight positive split. My coach is adamant that all races whatever distance should be ran as even/negative split, but I agree this is very difficult in the marathon. I do pace a half as the first 10m at goal pace and then give everything for the last 5k but this is very different from doing that for 20 and still having 10k to go.

Nicko - That's a sensible decision, are you in the VLM ballot? I am pretty certain I will do Manchester if I don't get in. My training since London has been as follows:

Took a complete week off after the marathon and then got back to running without a plan before Stratford Half 3 weeks after. Pb'd with 1.28.04 but managed to injure my hip so didn't run for 2 and a half weeks after this. Slowly got back to it in June and got back to running 3 times a week.

From July I have been working with an online coach (New Levels Coaching) so my training plan is set for me and sent fortnightly. Also upped my training to 5 days a week.

The training has basically consisted of Mon & Thur easy runs, Tuesday intervals, Friday tempo run and Sunday long run. The intervals have been quite varied and fairly high volume at 10k effort. Eg. 12 x 1k, 7 x mile, 3 x 2mile mostly with static recoveries. The tempos have increased in distance from 6m up to 10m. Everything else is ran at easy effort.

Hope that helps!