Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Lol! Close but 1950's Iffley road clobber. Inspired by the great RB. 😉
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A quick nip in to inform you of my new shining PB. Scored 3.05 in Chicago, chopped 4 mins off the old number. Bloody over the moon!!!

Well done to the Jersey Boys. Looked great! Nice PB there too GM.

Will do a proper report in the next few days but for now it's time to drink the windy city dry!!  B)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, now rest up!!

sounds like you've had a decent September, Lorenzo. well done on the parkrun. 

Poacher, great work at Chester. Another down. My mate who is comparable to me ran 2.59.58 for his first sub 3 and only did it via an almighty sprint finish. Everyone I know seemed to have a good day at Chester. Congrats to your niece. 

g-dawg- storming work sir! A huge pb and gfa there. Enjoy the celebrations!

oo- a very good day there given you have seemed so relaxed about it what with your knee issue.
    great job.

Gerard- brilliant pb work. Did the wind work out as you feared? Really good time particularly given you didn't get as text book mara training as ideal. I think if you had my 2 inch split nike racing shorts you'd have beaten oo!

no training today. I won't have a great deal to report all week running wise as not planning much at all. Sports massage tomorrow night. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very pleased for you GDawg- that was coming...
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Congrats GD. Awesome running, way to go, etc!
  • Congratulations to all the racers this weekend just gone - some great performances all round.
    GM - you must be really chuffed with that PB, especially going into the race with relatively low expectations due to the weather. Looking forward to the report.
    OO - well done, that's a great time especially given your sore knee and finishing strongly looks very promising for NY.
    Poacher - respect for grinding out number 88(?); hope the pain has subsided. And what a performance by Poachette - a real talent.
    GD - yay!!! Congratulations. Fantastic day's work. Look forward to the report.
    Stevie - nice final long run; looking very strong and ready for Abo.
    PMJ - nice parkrun stories.
    Lorenzo - training seems to be going well. Must have been a great experience to do the relay with jnr. Excellent parkrun too.
    DT - take it easy this week!
    Everything seems fine after the scare on Saturday, but played it safe and had another rest day.
  • Congratulations G-Dawg! Sounds like its been an excellent weekend of running all round!

Glad you haven't done any lasting damage Gul, all systems go for GER!

Lorenzo - Sounds like you have got some good training in, will definitely try and catch up with you at Abingdon. Got my number through the post last week. 1030.

Rest day today although my legs feel fine after yesterdays run. I haven't got my plan for the next two weeks yet (speaking to my coach later) although I will definitely be resting and tapering. In other news I am now officially (and finally) a member of Knowle & Dorridge Running club!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great work, GDawg - congrats ! hope your head not as sore as your legs must be today :) 

Gul - "mini-break" perhaps beneficial  . . .  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    GD that's just great. Mo must have pushed on when he sensed that you were chasing him down.  Chapeau!
  • No VLM place for me so I will enter Manchester tonight!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Commiserations Stevie, but Manc is pretty flat and potentially fast. I'm in too, so even if you break both legs and catch the plague on the way round, you can't possibly come last.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    My weekend was pretty slow compared to others but here goes:

I have been meaning to run Chester for some time, it's fairly local, a lovely part of the country and having met the organisers I do believe they want to create something which is by runners, for runners.  Not too corporate anyway.  Chester Racecourse is a pretty good venue, with plenty of parking and accessible by public transport and on foot from the city.  A spin through the historic bits, then most of the course was on traffic-free country lanes, including 7m in Wales.  No huge hills but there were some rather long ascents and descents plus a few out-and-backs which I don't really like. So it's not a particularly fast course. Good support in places, well run drinks stations, and well organised all round. The last mile or so is along a cobbled towpath then on the grass racetrack itself, not the fastest underfoot and very stressful for anyone like DT's pal who is desperately sprinting for a time. 

I left the Garmin at home and, on a lovely cold sunny day, just aimed to enjoy it rather than suffer; ideally a bit faster than Berlin. Met a few familiar faces from the world of the serial marathoner at the start, then found myself with the 4hr pacers.  That was a bit slow so I went on ahead. The bad back kicked off later, also one of the dodgy knees, and the abject lack of stamina due to lack of training.  So the last few miles were painful. I had no reason to bust a gut, so not unhappy with 3.46 which is where I deserve to be rather than where I want to be.

Overall a very good event, not as fast as Manchester but much more pleasant. I'll be back.

87 d & d. Carrying on largely because I think I would regret giving up. That's 7 maras in 2018, currently on the road too much so it's hard to find dates. Gonna take a while to get to 100, if it ever happens. 

However, its cheering to see such good performances by others - well done those chaps.
  • Stevie - no. 971 for me. Will probably be in a magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley vest.

Well done on no. 87 Poacher - not too shabby a time either.

Huge congrats G-Dawg - not surprised you're delighted with that. Look forward to the report.

3 easy miles this morning as I fancied a bit of a line in until 5.45am
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll get to 100 Poacher-, especially as you seem to be able to run them without training ;)
    Might try a swim tomorrow and a short recovery run. 
    VLM confirmation arrived today. Sounds like it'll be lonely in Chandos next year :(
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Whose round is it? 
  • Great report Poacher - Your Manchester comment made me chuckle. If you can knock at 3.46 out on no training you will be far from last!

I will keep an eye out Lorenzo. I will be wearing exactly the same as my profile pic, blue vest, black short and white trainers.

• Stevie - hope you get on okay with the running club. Might join one when I retire ;)
    Poacher - good report and result all things considered. Interesting to hear Chester isn't flat after all - that's not the first time I've read that this year. No email or magazine from VLM for me yet, but I'm not holding my breath.
    7 miles this morning with 4 x 0.5M @HM effort. All felt good and each rep was faster than the last without putting any more notable effort in.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - "lonely in Chandos"    -   all the above is making me feel lonely out here as a retired marathoner :):/
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, I don't know. That's 4 of the 5 of us who met in Chandos last year that will be there this year. 

Nice report poacher. I've always loomed at Chester and thought it doesn't look hugely flat. 

I had my London pack yesterday. My number gets me back in the red start for first time since my first outing on 2014 which is pleasing. Also, if last year's numbering and pen allocation is anything to go by it will be in the fast gfa pen. 

Decent sports massage last night. A rest day today which is a bit annoying as I'm working from home so could really get a decent run in. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    A fast course isn’t necessarily an atttractive course, or located in a place you want to visit. It’s just a choice to be made. The obvious exceptions being Berlin and Chicago. Any others? I have always fancied Riga (very flat) and Kosice (also flat I think).
  • I've heard Valencia is suppose to be quick and potentially Barcelona as well. Heard good things about a few Spanish marathons actually
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Chandos would not be the same without you Poacher- great news.
    Birch you should come as an honoured guest!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I did Barcelona this year Stevie. Its a decent course but starting to get hot even in March. I'm doing Seville next year in February. It was cheap to enter with good flights and hotels- plus it a city I've never visited :)
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

OO and Gerard – Congrats on the budding bromance and marathon performances! :D

GD – Brilliant, well done! I’m looking forward to the report.

Poacher – Well done on marathon 87 completed and a good report. I did Chester last year and your report brought back happy memories. Keep going for the 100!

Congratulations to everyone who go into the VLM! Commiserations Stevie.

Rotterdam and Amsterdam are supposed to be fast marathons. Berlin is a quick course but not perfect for the masses. I was frustrated how much I was boxed in and not able to run on the blue line, or my own pace throughout.

I got very drunk and ate like a pig on Saturday, gaining 7 lbs due to water retention! I’m still 3 lbs heavier this morning compared to Saturday morning. After 101 days consecutive running I took a complete rest day on Sunday. I see my recent high mileage has gotten me into the top 20 for yearly mileage in Fetcheveryone.

I turn 49 next week so I'm going to grow a beard for a year. Then when I turn 50 I'm going to shave it off and look young. :)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Badbark out training next month -
    Image result for irish man beard running pics

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'll let you all know what Valencia is like in 8 weeks' time...

Riga?  That's quite tempting.

Yesterday was a rest day and still need to run today.
  • Isn't there an Irishman with a beard who does mad things already out there?!

Image result for conor mcgregor

I haven't heard anything back from the VLM team yet but not holding out much hope. If I don't get in I'll be cheering from the sidelines and then heading to Chandos afterwards, so count me in as well.

Commuting runs for me this morning - 6 miles over 2 journeys sandwiching the train journey this morning, followed by 2.5 this evening.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I've heard many good reports about Valencia and Seville. Rotterdam is very flat but perhaps not the most attractive city in Europe.  Flanders Fields (from the north sea to Ypres) was very flat and a fascinating tour of the WW1 front lines. Always fancied Lisbon too, where my ancestors came from. Although trail races are usually where the best scenery and sense of adventure lie.

Fingers crossed Lorenzo.  If you don't get in, what's the alternative?

Nice drinking BB!

In Penrith, time for a recovery jog.
  • Poacher - Boston already sorted so even if I do get a place at VLM it's definitely not going to be all guns blazing. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Well Boston ain't too shabby an alternative.  Quite a few people do both in the same week so if you get lucky with London, that would be great.