Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul - My coach is of the opinion that a 3 week taper is too much. I ran 22m two weeks out and 43 miles the following week. That said your volume is a lot higher than mine and I'd also had a week off on holiday 4 weeks before Abingdon.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Interesting thing I've noticed with my own tapers that delivered a PB, they didn't go as prescribed due to foreign travel getting in the way. For Berlin, I went to Rome for a few days, only did a 22 mile week, so did a bit more with 3 weeks to go, then a two week taper programme and bagged a PB.

For Chicago I did a 50 mile week (biggest of the campaign), dropped down to a 30 the following week as I was knackered after a seven day 72 mile streak, went away to Madrid for the weekend. Three weeks out did 42 including speed work, then 24 two weeks out, then just 2 runs in race week. PB.

The enforced rest helped with adaptation and return to strength, I reckon. Will build it into the next plan and officially have a 2 week taper, as that what it amounts to.
  • Thanks for all the kind comments about my Dad. He went in Thursday and was supposed to be in a critical care bed for 3 days. Friday he was moved to a general ward, Saturday morning the doctor saw him and asked him what he was doing there and that night he was home. Either a fast recovery or an irritable patient (probably a combination of both). 

My work schedule has just changed: used to be in Hammersmith 5 days a week and now 3 days a week at home so that has a big impact in running: Hammersmith is basically in a flat zone near the Thames and the nearest hills were Primrose Hill or Richmond Park, at home I live on top of a hill and can't run more than half a mile in any direction before I head down. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad your dad is ok PMJ sounds like he’s a fighter.
  • That's great news Philip, good to hear.

Entered Berlin ballot today, might as well start trying to get all the Majors done, it'll take a while.

Very cold progression run with the club this eve. First 25ish minutes easy out as a group then splitting up for pace on the return. Quite happy with 8:27, 7:48, 7:31, 7:11, 6:39, 6:19, 6:16 although I faded off the group I was trying to stick with in the latter stage. Looking forward to improving on that run as it's the same route and time every week through the winter months.
  • That's a cracking run Nicko! Good luck in the ballot, I like the fact you only have to wait a month until you find out.

5m easy last night then its session time tonight. 5mins, 4m, 3m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m at 10k pace with 2 min jog recoveries. This was actually the first session I did working with Lewis so will be interesting to compare them

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I might enter as well Nicko if still open when I’m back from NY. Good luck!
  • Closes on the 7th November OO , not sure when you are back from NY. Have a safe trip!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking run there, Nicko. Good luck in the Berlin ballot. It was getting into Berlin that sent me on the World Majors quest. Four down, two to go. In 2016 they began allowing groups of three to enter the ballot, I teamed up with a couple of chums and was amazed that we actually got in. We had a cracking long weekend there.

Legs started to come back to me a bit last night with 5 miles at 6.54 pace.
  • Stevie - I am of the same mind as your coach. I've had 3 low mileage weeks before and after the HM - 55, 36 and 33 - but no holiday! Hope the session went well last night.
    PMJ - hope your legs are okay with the extra hill work.
    nick - very tidy progressive run.
    GD - nice 5 miler.
    11 miles this morning -  6 @ 8:37/m and 5 @ 7:09/m.
  • Gul Darr said:
    PMJ - hope your legs are okay with the extra hill work.
    They are fine if I get my ego under control and accept that the pace will be slower. The hills are good for me.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul/Stevie - " coach said a 3 week taper is too much"     

this prompted me to dig out my 1991 (PB year) diary, and yes, my last 3 weeks concurs with that view - 3 weeks out was a 70 miler, with 23 on the Tuesday (so, 2 weeks, 5 days before mara) and 15 on the Friday.  2 weeks out was 48, with a "hard 12 with club" noted for Tues, and "very steady" 13 on Friday (so, 9 days out).   had a 2 day rest, then ran Mon-Wed, Thurs,Fri off, 2 miles Sat, ADTLM Sunday 21st . . .    

day off yesterday, (still lurgified), bit better today, so 8 easy bagged with my chum.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Reading about tapering led me to check some PBs - I ran a 2:57 marathon 18 days before my PB in Berlin, and a flat out 1:21 HM 9 days before. My 5k PB was run 10 days after a marathon, then I ran my HM PB 4 days later. The HM was at the end of a 102 mile week. I think the benefits of a long taper are over rated.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Badbark said:

I think the benefits of a long taper are over rated.

Totally agree with that. In a long-winded way, that's what I was saying in my initial response.
    I like my final 5 week approach now:
    • Biggest training week (50+)
    • Cut-back, recovery week (30+)
    • Average distance week (45 - speed work still allowed)
    • Steady miles (25-ish)
    • Race week (2 x 4 milers just to stay loose)
    Bring on the next PB!!  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'd definitely agree that a 3 week taper is too much with 2 being optimal for me. 

Nice 11, Gul. 

it is good with Berlin that they are able to provide results in about 5 weeks. 

5 mile progressive run on coadtal path this morning starting with an 8.15 then progressing to a final mile of around 7.20. Gave me a 7.39 average. 

10k Sunday on my current pb course. Will be going for it though my build up isn't optimal being away all week and this autumns mara has taken a bit more out of me than last Autumn. 

• PMJ - okay. I just wondered if the increase in frequency and volume of hilly running would have an impact.
    Birch  - nice stats - I'm obviously slacking! Glad to hear the lurgy is on the way out.
    Badbark - maybe just never bothering to taper is the way to go!
    GD - that approach certainly seemed to work for you.
    DT19 - "Yes I'd definitely agree that a 3 week taper is too much with 2 being optimal for me." Does that mean I'm okay to do my 16 or 17 miler this weekend then ;) Nice progressive run; will be interesting to see how you do on Sunday.
    6 mile recovery run this morning. Only 219 miles for October (avg pace 7:51/m), which is way down on the previous 5 months (350, 252, 240, 287, 318) but then again I did have a full taper for the HM and a long weekend away. Need around 9 miles a day to reach 3,000 for the year.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve also gone for a 2 week taper. Will try a quick plod around Central park shortly. Very mild weather here, just need to stop eating...
    Good luck with the 10k DT, I’m sure you’ll do well!
  • Gul - I'd say your fine to run 16 miles! That's a decent mileage total with a taper and a long weekend away.

DT - Good progressive run. You might surprise yourself on Sunday, we have friends coming up otherwise I think I would have ran it

Did my first session post marathon last night. Pyramid fartlek, so 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5mins all off 2 min jog recovery. Supposed to be at 10k pace. Started at around 6.20 and worked down to 6.04 which is alright considering I can never run as fast in the dark! Ended up the wrong side of my loop at the end of the reps so ran a 2.8m cooldown for 11 in total. Legs feel fine today so perhaps could have pushed a bit harder.

Rest day today, going to start on a proper S&C program and some drills to improve my form. 165 miles for October at 8.00mm

• October all done: 178.11 miles @ 8:41 pace which takes me to 1,336 for the year. The first month for a long time when I have done more than I need to average 2018 miles in 2018 but far too far behind to hit that target this year: will be happy to be near to 1,700 for the year.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice pyramid there, Stevie. Will be interesting to see how you kick on from here.

Enjoy running in Central Park, OO. I was there the week before Boston and ran through there with my eldest lad. Loved it. It's not quite, but it feels like the spiritual home of recreation running and a most-do run if one finds oneself local.

Boiler blew up in the first cold spell of autumn/winter, so WFH today waiting for an engineer. Nipped out for a cheeky 3.5 miler just to tip me over the 100 for the month. Legs defo coming back and bashed the run out at 6.38 pace.

Monthly stats include a raced marathon. October brought 101 miles averaging 7.17 pace.

Doing a silly run on Saturday. Standby! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Checking out the finish for Sunday!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Go on, Son!!!  B)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    looking lean and ready, OO . . . .    

6 steady with daughter this morn - 140 for October, 1422 ytd.
  • Best of luck OO, looking good repping the VLM t-shirt!

Didn't manage to run central park when I visited a couple of years back - it was 32 deg C so cold beer and ice cream won out - I have no regrets!

Nice pyramid Stevie and some big mileage totals from Birch, and PMJ; nice swift short run G-Dawg - hope the boiler gets sorted quick - not the time to be heatless!

Agree with 2 week taper vs 3 - just too much time for taper madness,

Slow 7.5 this evening, testing out kit for Gower coastal, breaking in the Trailrocs a bit more - also invested in a race pack as there's a small kit requirement and I got pissed off carrying water and jacket last year - very happy with the Inov8 all terrain pro 0-15L - 2in1 pack with removable extra storage - fits snug and just feels good.

Should have set off a bit earlier as while it was fun trying to get some mud, rocks and hills; those weren't as much fun trying to navigate my way back when it got dark - a few halloween scares.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    looking good, oo. Enjoy!

Nicko, when's the Gower coastal?

Stevie, funny as I cant do sessions in the dark very well. Shame as I think you'd do well. there's a few switch backs but it's pretty flat. 

Gul I think I was looking at the totality of the training and also thought you were 2 weeks out not 3. 

G dawg, boilers love going that to you. I always test mine in August just yo be sure. 

117.5 for October. Setting aside my injured month in January that's my lowest month since May 2017. Perfect storm of taper, mara, recovery with a long weekend away and then a small holiday. 

Though I'm feeling pretty well rested now. Sunday may go ok as I never give a 10k the amount of taper and rest I'm into now. it's normally just slotted into a busy week. 
  • DT - Next Saturday (10th). Good luck for the 10k on Sunday.
  • nicko1981 said:
    Slow 7.5 this evening, testing out kit for Gower coastal, breaking in the Trailrocs a bit more - also invested in a race pack as there's a small kit requirement and I got pissed off carrying water and jacket last year - very happy with the Inov8 all terrain pro 0-15L - 2in1 pack with removable extra storage - fits snug and just feels good.

You doing the marathon or ultra? I just had a look at the routes and the marathon looks quite nice but the ultra seems to be the 10k route tacked onto the marathon route. 

I am never sure quite how these kit requirements translate to real life. I both walk and run. If I walk I have a small rucksack on my back and carry enough stuff to keep me comfortable so I have a full set of waterproofs, hat, gloves, map, compass. hot chocolate in a flask etc. If I run, I typically carry nothing other than ICE details but I do have a small bottle belt that allows me to take a phone, cash and a few gels as well as a 500ml bottle but I would not carry anything more. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    OO - nice photo - they are keen on starting to set up, aren't they?!
    Stevie - great pyramid session. What is an S&C program? You've reminded me I haven't done any drills for ages (probably since last year!)
    PMJ - good monthly mileage. 
    GD - come on, then, what's this silly run? Our boiler has a fault too and our usual gas engineer has retired. Thinking about taking out a contract, but the boiler is old and wouldn't be covered. Will wait and see what the engineer we've booked says when he comes to have a look.
    Birch - the first time I read your post, I thought you were taking accuracy to silly extremes and meant 140 miles 1422 yards!
    Nick - good luck with the Gower coastal. I think I will need to upgrade my backpack if I want to do the Peddar's Way Ultra in January. There is a kit inspection before the race to make sure you meet the required list. I suspect there will be too much to fit in my small Lidl rucksack (can't try it out yet as I still have to get a waterproof jacket and headtorch).
    DT19  - I have a sneaking suspicion you will have a stormer on Sunday.
    8 easy miles this morning including 10 x 200m.

• Gul - Good session this morning, you must be itching to race. S&C = strength and conditioning. Need to work on my hip and glute strength as my hips drop slightly as I run. Can tend to heel strike as well when I get tired so I'll be working on that through the winter!
  • PMJ - I'm doing the half marathon; it's enough for me at the moment! WIll likely take up the mara or ultra next year either there or another CTS race. All the routes join up to form each other, but the half is the only annoying one that's not a loop - have to get a bus to the start line and run back. Always a fun day though.

Re: kit - I usually never run with anything at all - maybe a couple of gels on a long long run; however they do have a mandatory kit list (although it's never been checked) - and last year I got really annoyed with my handheld bottle and having a windproof wrapped around my waist. I decided to invest as I'll likely do some longer stuff in the future where the vest will be more use - I think the easy hydration will also encourage me to drink more water - I'm very bad with hydrating during runs.