Sub 3h15

Comments

• nicko1981, at least bus out and run back is better than run out and bus back. Nothing worse than getting to the end of a run and waiting to get back and warm and dry.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good luck for Sunday OO

No NYC for me sadly having spent the last 11 weeks in the injury wilderness.  Having run almost 5K today, I'm hoping to get back in to serious training in the next few weeks.    Very frustrated at having missed a run in New York but will just have to focus on the Spring 2019 opportunities (I seem to have confirmed places in Boston and London!).

• Very true - learnt that the hard way once when I decided to run Bristol to Bath and found all the trains delayed - I now train out run back for that route!

Club track tonight, 3 miles warmup, then 2 sets of 1600m, 200m jog, 800m with 1 lap between sets. Very tough, heavy legs, but managed 5:55 and 6:00 on the longer sections, 2:48, 2:54 on the 800s.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that SBD but plenty to motivate you, that’s a cracking Spring lineup!
  • Stevie - yes, of course, should have guessed that's what it stood for. Could do with some of that myself as well as the drills.
    nick - yes, I agree that carrying things is annoying - I usually just have a bunch of keys. Good track session last night.
    SBD - sorry to hear you've been injured and missing NY. Here's hoping all will go well in the Spring. Take care.
    OO - good luck this weekend. And also to DT  and Badbark (assuming 3 in 15 days means you have a race this weekend!)
    6 recovery miles this morning. I was thinking about doing parkrun tomorrow, but the boiler engineer is due to visit tomorrow morning plus Miss GD the elder and Miss GD the younger need lifts in opposite directions so can't see it working out. I'll revert back to plan A with an early 16 miler.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    bad luck, SBD - hope you're fit and firing soon  . . .  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve had 3 morning runs in Central Park and each day it has got busier. I have never seen anything quite like this. The park provides a real focal point for all the runners arriving in the city and a real atmosphere is building that you don’t really get in London. 
  • Sounds great OO, hopefully make it there one year. Hopefully the atmosphere will push you on for a great result.

Parkrun touristing tomorrow back in my old hometown - hoping the XC nationals means the fast people will be away and I can get a decent position for once.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    OO - glad you're enjoying the build-up to New York. All the best for tomorrow.
    Nick - have a good parkrun.
    16 miles this morning. Decided not to push it too hard, so 2 miles warm-up @ 8:36/m and 14 miles steady @ 7:34/m. 57 miles so far this week. I might take a rest day tomorrow - partly depends on how the sermon prep goes today!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking pace there Gul, and good mileage.
    How did it go Nicko?
  • edited November 2018
    Hope the parkrun went well Nicko - what XC nationals were happening today?
    Nice early 16 miler there Gul - no harm in having a rest day tomorrow.
    OO - all the very best for tomorrow. A friend of mine is running NY as well as having been out for a gentle 7 miler with her last weekend, I'll be waiting with eager anticipation for the the reports from all concerned.
    Birch - will be in touch ref Hallam parkrun closer to the time. We've got an airbnb sorted out in Nether Edge so looks like it'll be a gentle warm up run there. Any recommendations for places to eat and drink very welcome!!
    Trying to sneak another marathon into the calendar for next year - have got my name in the mix for the Mont Blanc Marathon at the end of June. Clearly not a flat and fast route but I've never been to the Alps during the summer so seemed like the perfect excuse to head out there. Also toying with the idea of attempting a 100 mile event later in the summer but will have to see how that fits in with other arrangements such as life.
    Low key week this week - I've got a local XC relay event this afternoon and then meeting up with a mate for an easy one on Sunday. 158 miles in October for me so should easily be able to make it to 2,000 by the end of the year.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    nice one, Gul -  getting near, now  . . .   

Lorenzo - not exactly minor plans for next year, then ?  I'll look forward to Jan :)   
    this  is a good venue for brunch, with a good ethos too 
     I was at Hallam parkrun today, but not participating - did an hour with my friend from & to the park, watched the event for a while, then initially set off to run the mile and a bit home, but made the decision to carry on, and ended up with 13.5, inserting "efforts" (relative term) -  2 x half mile flat, and 3 x 400m ish hills .   First double digit run for 4 weeks.   

(its the National XC Relays at Mansfield today, btw)

My daughter, son, and son's girlfriend all doing Abbey Dash (Leeds) tomorrow, so I've volunteered chauffeur duty . . . 
  • Not a great result today, felt fine at the start, went out with the frontrunners but just couldn't keep it up and slowed down throughout (6:17, 6:54,7:09).

Came in 14th with 21:00, 5th age group. Weirdly heart rate average was 181 which seems super high.

Oh well, I'll smash out a fast 5k on the treadmill on Monday to make up for it.

Great Mileage Lorenzo - will it be 2018 miles in 2018? Alps run in the summer would be great - that altitude's a killer though!

Good.luck to the family Birch, look forward to hearing results and especially the NYC report from OO.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Bad luck, SBD. Reset, refocus and smash it in the spring.

Good luck in NYC, OO. Sounds like a great atmosphere building. Have a great run and DBS, etc...

Mont Blanc sounds like a hell of an adventure, Lorenzo. Rich will be at the XC next week, he did UTMB CCC in August and can give you some trail info.

So, in an attempt to keep the endurance going post-Chicago, I decided to jump into the Thames Meander marathon this morning.

The idea was just trot it out and not race it. Ran it with 2 chums and we started nice and easy. We stopped at every one of the 8 feed stations to enjoy the flapjacks, crisps and sweets. This added about a minute to each split.

Despite the Thames towpath out and back route being flat, the uneven trail made for leg wear and tear more than a road marathon. By 18 miles it was clear that my legs are still not marathon ready but I kind of knew that and just had to plod on and grind it out.

Finished in 3.35 which was perfectly in line with expectation and what we all agreed on. The only surprise was the leg bashing in the latter miles but I learned a lot, including that I take a while to recover from long races now I'm 51 and that uneven terrain tires your legs more over that distance. 
    We all stayed together and got nice congratulations as we crossed the line as a group.
    Marathon number 16 complete!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    That’s a cracking effort GDawg, sounds like fun-especially the flapjacks 
  • Good bit of spontaneous marathon running there G-Dawg. Can't believe that you're not competing in the XC next weekend though.
    Nicko - sounds fun at Mansfield. 2018 in 2018 sounds like a good one to aim for.
    Reigate Park relays for me today - c. 2.5 miles of undulating course which can get muddy but was just soft underfoot today. I was in the Club B team and we must have finished around 8th or 9th so not too bad. I didn't feel that I ran particularly well but managed a time about 30s quicker than last year so must have been OK.
    Younger Lorenzito was in the A team and although he got overtaken on his leg by a Ugandan who'd run in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics at 800m, our anchor leg runner stormed back into the lead so enable the team to successfully defend the title they won the previous year.
    I've just had a look at the results from last year's Mont Blanc Marathon and initially thought that it must be a relatively low quality field as the winner only just managed to dip under 3:55. The winner's name: Kilian Jornet - OMG!! :o
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You can take him down Lorenzo :)
    Congrats to to junior
  • Good luck OO! Can't wait to hear all about it. 
  • Good luck to OO , DT and any other racers today!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    sorry guys, been reading not posting as away.

Good luck, oo.

Nice sneaky mara, g dawg. 

sorry to hear about the injury, SBD. You were going so well as well.

10k today, possibly optimistic to think I could smash it after 5 weeks of light running and having been on holiday all last week. Could tell at 1.5 miles it wasn't on so didn't fight pace drift and ended up running at hmp, though that was still an effort. Came in 39.09 and 10th place but managed to pick up the v40 prize again which was a £25 up and running voucher so decent. 
  • 3:09 in the EAMS Halloween frightener marathon today for 2nd place. A moderate effort but didn't feel great. I've a very hilly trail marathon coming next Saturday. The medal was huge and this is my 73rd marathon/ultra  completed!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good steady effort Badbark, and solid 10k DT, nice prize too!
    New York was fairly tough, not a flat course at all. I stupidly left all my gels in the bag drop so had to run with limited fuel en route.
    Fortunately after 5 Mara this year I was able to run on the Raggy edge almost flat out but never going over the limit. Got to half way in 1:30:30 but slipped about 15 secs per mile in front he last few to arrive home in 3:03:10. It’s my best time this year and 6 mins up on Jersey so happy with that. It took absolutely everything, and I’m pleased there are no more maras in the schedule for a few months.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Fantastic time on a lumpy course, OO, congrats! One of my goals is to do a mara at 6.59 avg pace but I doubt I'll do it there, sounds like a tough route, that's awesome running.
    Great that you left it all out there, the beer will taste even sweeter.
    Celebrate to the max. Well done, Sir!!  B)
  • Lorenzo - sounds like a good smackdown you've got lined up in June ;) Nice work in the XC relays.
    Birch  - good to get a double digit run in the bag. Look forward to hearing how the Abbey Dash went.
    nick - unlucky. Maybe just need a few more weeks of training under the belt.
    GD - good effort on a trail marathon and not so long since Chicago.
    DT - that's still a great 10k and well done on picking up 1st V40.
    Badbark - congrats on no 73. Next week's sounds a tough one!
    OO - great result - not a PB course in any course - so well done. Look forward to the report. 
    Did 6 easy miles yesterday to make 63 for the week. Taper madness now kicking in. High temperature, elevated resting heart rate blah blah blah. Did 8 miles with 8 x 100m strides today. Disaster struck later on when there was no kale at Lidl, so had to buy spinach instead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Great work, OO. That's a cracking time on what sounds like a tough enough course. Hope you enjoy the rest of your break.

Well done, Badbark, ticking them off nicely. Decent medal as well.

When is the mara, Gul?

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    GDawg - sounds a nicely executed , comradely marathon#16 - well done  . . .  

Lorenzo - good work at the Relays - especially junior !   

DT - top 10 and some booty - satisfying day's work  . . .   

OO - excellent !  fastest of 5 mara's this year, with travel effects to deal with, and a none too ideal course - great stuff !!   

Badbark - another one ticked off - congrats on #73 - like the medal, too . . .  

Gul - spinach/kale  ?   First World problems, eh ;)     

and, tks for asking, Gul - great day at the Abbey Dash - this lived up to its reputation as one of the fastest 10K's around, with all my lot bagging PB's - but the finishing positions indicate the depth of quality in the field  . . .      son = 32:58 (126th) ,  daughter = 39:57 (61st senior female, 74th overall),  and my son's girlfriend (a hockey player who runs for fitness), bagged 48:nn  , so, a cheerful return journey :)   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    A couple of observations from yesterday. Those logistics to the race start are a real drag and make nutrition and toilet stops complicated. Hanging around for so long on rough ground was not great either. This would put me off doing the race again.
    On the other hand the course and the views are good and the people of NY very proud of their race. Never had so many strangers congratulating me post race. And the media coverage is massive.
    Definately one to be a part of once in a lifetime.
    We travel home today, think I’ll be sticking in a ballot entry for Berlin ;)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Highlights of New York marathon on FreeSports (Freeview channel 95) on Wed 5pm, & Fri 10pm
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Interesting stats, not sure I can believe the predictions though