Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds promising GDawg hope the plan goes well.
  • nicko - nice bike miles and club run.
    OO - take care - sounds a bit like the injury I picked up at VLM 2010.
    GD - nice session to start the year.
    A bit of change to my routine today to try and get a bit more rest in. Got up a bit later than usual (5:30) and headed out at 6:00 for a run. Did 11 easy miles. Felt okay, but still slightly tired. Will see how it goes.
  • Cracking run to kick the campaign off Gdawg.

OO - Hows the hip feeling?

Nicko - That's a decent run to throw yourself back in with. Be interested to hear what the PT says

Gul - The tiredness could just be from the change in sleep pattern. Glad you felt better though

Calf is feeling better but still a little tight. Going to take another day off and really get the foam roller/massage balls into it to try and release it. Been doing some reading and I think its going to be something I have to deal with while changing my form

• Stevie - what are you doing with your running form - switching to a more forefoot strike?
  • Yes doing lots of drills and concentrating on landing midfoot and underneath my body. It does feel more efficient while running but in the short term puts pressure on my calves
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

After a few days rest, I’ve started training again towards the British 100k Championships at the end of March. The rest did what I hoped and my mojo has returned. I’ve now 10 weeks to get in good ultra-shape.

100k is a distance I haven’t had much success with. My only DNF was my first 100k when I started leaking blood from somewhere blood should not come out of… I was successful in completing my other 100k but struggled really badly after 40 miles, and finished in a disappointing 9:11. I hope I can do myself proud and run a good bit quicker.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Good sessions g-dawg and Nicko.

Nice 11 Gul and what a wonderful lie in to treat yourself too!!!

OO- Don't take any risks. You wont feel it mid flow in the half so if anything is going wrong it'll hurt afterwards and the damage will be done.

Badbark, I dread to think what body part you refer to!! Good luck with the campaign!

So, I turned 43 today! Treated myself to a sharpener session over lunch with 10 x 2 mins off 90 secs, starting at hmp then progressing to 10kp and finishing strong. Reps came out 6.28, 6.19, 6.08, 6.08, 6.04, 6.07, 6.02, 602, 6.02 and 5.57. Felt nice and controlled throughout.

Based on my new age, if I can go sub 83.30 sunday that will get me a 76% wava score as well as a pb.

• Happy Birthday DT! Cracking session to celebrate as well!
  • Happy Birthday DT, strong reps - looking good for a decent time on Sunday as a birthday present to yourself.
  • Happy Birthday DT!

Like Nicko I need to learn to stick with the right people. Tonight was 2 x 1.75 miles and I thought that three of the group ought to be ahead of me, so I let them be. It was slow. So for the second rep I decided they should not be so far ahead of me and clung on to them, passed them all and finished over 30 seconds faster. That is not how you're supposed to do it! At least I do still have some speed though, I thought the ultra (which seems really short compared to BB's) had killed it.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    HB DT!!

8 miles tonight with 2 club chums. Nice and steady 7.23 pace. Legs a tad sore after last night's mile alternates but a good session to get done.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks chaps, slightly fuzzy head this morning!! 7 miles easy over lunch.

So despite there barely being any wind for several weeks, York on Sunday is forecast to be 18 mph!! One day I'll race in good conditions.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Happy birthday DT – and that’s a nippy session. You’re looking good for a fast HM

Speedy – I think it’s a bit of myth that ultra-running is a detriment to speed. I find I’m slower for a few weeks after a race but back to normal after a month. Which for me is exactly like after a hard run marathon.

I ran 9 miles this morning around 7:30 m/m pace. I plan on running a lot of miles around this pace as training for the 100k. I’m pencilling in a target of 8 hours (7:42 pace) so it would be good to get my body used to this. It’s not a pace I often maintain, so want to improve my running efficiency at that pace.

• Stevie  - hope your calfs adapt to the new running form okay. I was hoping that having more sleep would leave me less tired! No but seriously, I was already feeling tired, but hopefully should be back to normal soon.
    Badbark - 8 hours @ 7:42/m - eek! But if anyone can do it, it will be you.
    DT - nice way to celebrate your birthday - cracking session. Getting windy here already; hope it blows over before Sunday.
    Speedy - living up to your name.
    GD- good steady run.
    12 miles @ 8:06/m this morning - same routine as yesterday. Not keen on all the traffic around later in the morning and having to wait for the right moment to cross the road!
  • Badbark - That's a great target, how does ultra training differ from marathon training? Is it just more miles and longer runs?
    Speedy - Sounds a good session. I never go to my club sessions as I usually have my own to do. Will probably need to show my face though if I want to be on the 12 stage relay team
    DT - Im sure it will be fine! I've heard the course is pretty sheltered so the wind may not be too bad
    Gul - Good miles. I think it just takes a few days for your body to adjust to the new routine. Are you in official marathon training now?
    G-Dawg - That's a good run following the big Monday run.

So my calf is slightly worse then I thought, its still a bit sore and definitely can't run on it yet. Will give it a few days rest with plenty of rolling and stretching. Kept active with a glute and core workout last night. May have to dig the turbo trainer out

• Badbark those ultra distances/speeds sound crazy - and bleeding from interesting places? No thanks! Good luck with the training

Nice morning run Gul - I need to get the early morning routine sorted like you.

Stevie - do you have a gym with one of those vibrating plate things? My PT consult last night was great - we spent an hour working on injury prevention, loosening up etc etc and used the power plate; just lying down on my back with calves on the plate and a weight back on my shins - was an absolute dream and loosened my calves up amazingly. Might be worth a try if you keep feeling tight.

Deliberating an easy 8 or a 4 mile tempo for today; planning club 6x1k session tomorrow so maybe the easy 8 a better idea. Also managed to get a place for the Speedway 10k in Chepstow next Sunday which will be a good test and my first proper 10k in years.
  • Nicko - My gym is fairly basic although all new equipment so we don't have one of those. Sounds like the PT could really work for you then and keep you running. 100% easy run tonight if you are doing a session tomorrow!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT most of the course is open countryside so not sheltered at all, but at least it’s extremely flat. Belated birthday wishes old chap
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, I preferred Stevie's assessment of the course if i'm honest!! If the weather ruins Sunday then at least I know I have another fast half booked in for February.

Def easy tonight Nicko. I bought this a few years ago. Expensive but a brilliant piece of kit to have at home-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thumper-091183367-Maxi-Pro-Massager/dp/B0056PSM4U

Nice 12, Gul.

Decent going and plan, Badbark.

Easy 7 over lunch for me. Sports massage tomorrow evening, but otherwise a rest day.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    belated greetings, DT - and blimey, that does look a serious item !  

nicko - agree with DT - wouldn't do 1K reps day after tempo run  . . .   

Gul  - hope you're starting to feel more your usual self . . .

not much to report here - just 16 in 3 runs so far this week.  Starting to think it's time to look for an event or two to spark some focus . . .
  • Thanks for convincing me, ended up on an easy 8 with a hill at a nice comfortable avg 8:00 pace. Hopefully Itll help me smash the reps tomorrow.
  • Does it come with someone to operate it? For that price it would have to!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Speedy, this item has paid for itself many times over in what ive saved in physio.i was having a session every fortnight. Now it's about once every 8 weeks. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I managed 10 at plod pace last night. Unless the wheels com off again I’ll make it to York, but the sensible option is to try and run at Mara 1:30 pace and get round.

• Stevie - hope the rest, rolling and stretching sorts out the calf. I'm not following an official schedule for my next marathon, but I guess you could say it has started - just base building at the moment.
    nicko - 10k should be a good benchmark.
    DT - enjoy the rest day and massage.
    Birch - definitely not 100% at the moment - starting to wonder if I might be anaemic - trying not to let self-diagnosing get out of hand! Is your friend still planning on doing 26.2 round Rother Valley Park this month?
    OO - sounds promising, but be careful!
    12 miles again this morning, very similar avg. pace (8:02/m). There is an external auditor in at work today, but he seems very friendly and it seems to be going well...
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    (((OO))) look after yourself

Badbark thanks for reminding us of the blood incident.   :/

Boston runners - hope you've studied the course profile, it's quite strange with mile after mile of downhill at the start, before the dreaded Newton hills about 17-21.  Got to be the hardest of the majors to pace. 

Meanwhile I have actually "run" (jogged/wheezed) 29m so far this week.  Its a miracle.

Good luck those racing this w/e.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Boston runners - Right on Hereford, Left on Boylston...

The perfect training mantra!  :D

Worked for me in the last mile...which seemed to last 5 miles!  :o
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yep Boston is a test of mental resolve. One of the hardest days I’ve had on the roads, then again at more than 30 C any race would be hardy to a pasty-faced cold-loving north European. Rarely been so glad to see a finish line.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Same here. Was like running in a furnace. No PB but probably my greatest marathon experience.
    Can't wait to hear how our forum lads get on this year.
  • Thanks for the Boston tips folks. Looking forward to it, but short term focus is conquering the hills at the Sheffield Hallam parkrun on Saturday.

Birch - I'll be in a blueish Comrades top and will be the one whose accent everyone laughs at when they ask about tourists. Will try and find you at the start / finish.

Go easy OO - big picture and all that stuff.