Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cc2-My wife had those fitted and had to go back a few times,if it is cutting too much get back to them and get them to adjust it,she got an infection at one stage because of it.She also got wax off them to help with the rubbing.
  • Options
    Thanks Ian. I got some wax off good old Amazon, but it's hard to make it stick. I think I might have to leave the elastics off when I'm running in future. Can't wax those! For 'discreet' adult braces I think they're just as obvious as the metal train track things, just as painful on the inside of the mouth and significantly more faff. I'm not impressed so far, but things can only get better!
  • Options
    Fabulous race reports from last weekend from DT, G-Dawg and SBD - you guys should get together and film a documentary on the journey next time around!! Inspirational.

Sorry I didn't spot you SBD - I was desperately trying to scan all the runners for familiar faces! 

OO - how was Manchester, and more importantly how did Mrs OO find it? Hope she enjoyed it.

Speedy - I'm also signed up for Manchester next year and have made a mental note to actually put together a block of decent training for it this time around. Elder Lorenzito has also signed up for it, so part of my incentive for a decent run is to finish ahead of him :)

Surrey Masters XC yesterday - more of a trail run than a proper cross country course thanks to a last minute change of venue. As expected it was quite hard going, but at least it's given me another reference point as to my current fitness level in the run up to next weekend. I hadn't volunteered at parkrun for a while, so it was great to take the opportunity to do that yesterday morning.

Followed that up today with a very enjoyable test for the proposed B course for our local parkrun (Mole Valley) - had a good chat on the way round while still giving it a decent test to see how the times were compared to the A course. If anyone's ever down in Surrey and fancies a really attractive parkrun, I can strongly recommend it as it's through the Denbies vineyard. Not PB potential because of a couple of tough inclines, but a lovely sweep down for the last mile or so, and it was actually even better on the proposed B course with a great grassy downhill stretch with Box Hill as the backdrop.

Have got to remember to take it easy this week!!
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I was running on the opposite side of the road when I passed you Lorenzo so was probably hard to spot!  Good work at the XC and parkrun - you just need to take it easy now.

Manchester 2022 is looking like a major thread outing.  It'll be the first UK marathon for me where I've had to stay away from home the night before.

Hope OO enjoyed Manchester.  Three marathons on successive weekends is impressive going.  Managed to watch the finish line video stream for a while, not many runners up to 2:50 but it then got very busy up to 3:00 hours.

Have managed some easy runs, Wednesday to Saturday and 10 miles general aerobic yesterday.  I'm mentally quite keen to get back to full training and enter a few shorter distance races to chase down the PBs.  So Great South Run 10 miles this Sunday to start with.  A bit earlier than ideal, but having never run this before thought I should give it a go.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Had a lovely time in Manchester with the family. Mrs OO and my eldest daughter met their sub 5 target in spite of a stop for cramp at 20 miles. And I paced daughter no. 2 to sub 4 which she did comfortably in 3:51:30, including a negative split. Old man OO really struggled yesterday- my hips did not appreciate it at all, but would not have missed it for the world.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Super family shot that, although only 3 maras in 3 weeks seems a bit lightweight. 

I have also signed up for Manchester 2022, probably a daft decision but hey. Might see some of you there. Having run Manc several times I have an “official legend” vest (never worn), maybe it will come out, but then it would be embarrassing for a wannabe legend to DNF after half a mile, or at the first pub, whichever is closer to the start line.

OO, took a look at the park run route in Keswick, very nice but we ended up walking the Newlands horseshoe instead, big day up in the clouds and rain but good to be able to do that without too much pain.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Official legend sounds like a fair assessment 😇
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    OO, great work on that treble and congrats to the family.

Manchester does seem to be turning into a right old outing.

SBD, yes I logged on with about 2.46 on the clock and finishers were very few and far between, then there was this sudden influx. I enjoyed watching the few minutes around 3 hours as well.

Good luck, Sunday, my few runs so far have been heavy legged so definitely not ready for anything strenuous yet. 

Speedy, my wife is currently going through the preliminary steps on these invisaline braces.

Lorenzo, what's happen at the end of this week?
  • Options
    <div><span>Hi folks. Decided to un-lurk as I have also signed up for Manchester in April. It’ll be my 2nd marathon so I’m hoping to pick up some tips and advice since so many on here have are capable of fantastic times (a lot of your efforts in London inspired me to sign up for Manchester). </span></div><div><span>
    </span></div><div><span>A quick question, are there any tips to avoid cramp? I had major cramp at my 1st Mara in the last 1.5 mile. More miles? Strength? Flexibility? MP miles? Or all the above? </span></div><div><span>
    </span></div><div><span>Anyway, thanks all and hopefully see you on the start line in 6 months</span>
    </div>
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great day for the family, OO, well done all of you!

My eldest got a 15 minute HM PB in Bournemouth yesterday to register a 1.38. Over the moon for him.

A mate scored a sub-3.10 PB in Manchester yesterday. I enjoyed watching the live feed as well as catching up on the Chicago highlights. Looking forward to seeing what Boston looks like today.

Really not sure what to do next Spring to bag the 2023 GFA. Manchester is certainly an option and being at the start of April, should be a cool one. Or, do I go closer to home for Dorney Lake on April 24th where the weather could be anything from cold to heatwave?

Popped out for my first run since London. Had over a week off, usually wait 4 days. Did just a 4 mile recovery and my legs were in a right mess. This will be a longer recovery period than usual.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Great family day out OO.

Good to see Poacher declaring his hand for Manchester.

I found the quads just about recovered on the fourth easy run DT.

Go for Manchester G-D, faster than London whilst Dorney will always have a wind risk. Go easy on the recovery.

Welcome CT1983. Tell us more about yourself:

1) Where was your first marathon, what time did you achieve and and how did the training look?
    2) What are your PBs for other distances
    3) Do you have a goal time for Manchester?

I seem to suffer more from cramps than others so I'm still looking for the answer on how to prevent!
  • Options
    Great pic OO - fabulous performance from the whole crew

Poacher - really hope you can make Manchester next year. Would be great to catch up with an official legend again.

DT - Yorkshire Marathon for me on Sunday

G-Dawg - you certainly deserve a nice long recovery!
  • Options
    Thanks SBD.

I ran 3.13 at Chester in 2019, averaging around 45 miles a week. I’m pretty rubbish at consistent training and even worse at winter training, which is why I wanted a spring marathon to aim for.

Pbs are HM: 1.28, 10k: 39.20 and 5k: 19.25.

Ideally I’m aiming for under 3.10 in Manchester, we’ll see how the training goes.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Pretty much identical stats to my mate who got 3.09 in Manchester yesterday, CT. A good training block and the right weather on the day and that's a very achievable target for you.
  • Options
    That’s my hope, G-Dawg. Problem is I’ve done very little this year so need to build up and lose some weight 🤣
  • Options
    CT1983 - looks like you and I have got very similar goals for Manchester. My PBs are pretty similar and I managed a 3:06 in London in 2016 but have lost speed (and grown older!) since then.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    My quads are still a bit abused too, but some of that could be from ydays Turbo.

SBD - fingers crossed for good GSR weather then, that last 2m can be a bitch if its windy. I sometimes run the last couple of miles and first couple of miles of GSR route if I run a lap of the island (which is 14 or 15m) from where i live, but i tend to avoid the flat and the coast and head inland.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    CT1983- welcome to the thread. Many here started at around 3:15 and progressed over the years. Stick around and you'll get lots of motivation and great tips.
    I've got another race on Sunday- another one rescheduled from last year. Just a 10k fortunately. Hips are in a bad way so very little running planned this week. 
    Good luck with York marathon Lorenzo- is it the BMAF champs again this year? If so you'll have some tough age grade competition. I was amazed at the quality of the field last time out. Don't think I made the top 20 in spite of running 2:58 😳
  • Options
    Good to see most folks are recovering well from the recent maras.
    Sorry to hear your recovery from injury is going to take a while, Jools, but hope you come back stronger than ever.
    OO - great photo from a great day for you and your family. You are a machine and total legend. 
    Lorenzo - all the best for Sunday :)
    Feeling pretty much back to normal now. Had a small window of opportunity today and so did 4 easy miles just after eight o'clock. Very strange with all the people around and traffic on the roads! Pleased to report no issues.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very strange for us too Gul. A post from you at 9:14am. This going to take some getting used to 😉
  • Options
    OO - forgot to say, hope your hips are okay for Sunday. You are certainly giving them some punishment!
  • Options
    Welcome CT!

DT, if your wife would like to know what she's letting herself in for I've recorded some videos of my first few days and saved them to my highlights on my instagram profile. If she doesn't have posts and bands her experience will be less traumatic, those are the biggest issues. 

Still not much doing here. A couple of easy spins on the spin bike, two short runs, one big S&C session last night. I don't feel in any need to rush back in to heavy training. 
  • Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    ct1983 - welcome (I also count myself as a de-lurker as last posted in around 2017). You and are in a similar boat (in fact assuming 1983 is your birth year, I'm 1984)! My PB is 3:06 from London in 2015, most recent was Berlin in 2017 at 3:19. Running has been very patchy this year but just getting on it again. I don't think I will do a Spring marathon but maybe Autumn 2022. I've already been offered a charity place for NYC but also thinking about Chicago (depending on their entry requirements for 2022- but I think generally easier to get into than NYC). Otherwise I will look at something more low key.

OO54 - that is a great photo! You must be very proud of the family.

Read back to the London reports:

G-Dawg - great sub 3! Likewise for StevieWh, CC2, TR. I though this was the sub 3:15 thread!
    SBD - I am getting closer to my 40s than I would like so good to see a fantastic 2:48!
    Badbark - great run. Can't even imagine running 100 marathons! I've run 4 and think that is a lot!

Really inspired by all this. It has been really nice to watch coverage of Chicago and Boston as well. It makes me realise how much I feed off the community of running which has been missed in the last 18 months (at least for me moving to a new country, with no races).

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great things await you, SEdan. I've learned loads on this forum over the years and by feeding off this lot I got a sub-3 as a 54 year old last week with sore hamstrings! 

I've done the 3 US majors in the last 4 years, they are all special in their own way, none better than the other. Get in whichever one you can, they are brilliant.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, good luck on sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if OO turns up there!

Speedy, thanks, I am not sure quite what awaits her. I'm glad I had all this stuff done when I was a child!

It must have been quite a scary experience for you, Gul!!

Gdawg, get yourself up to Manchester! I am a little confused, they say general entries close tomorrow? Surely they close when it sells out? Still haven't broached the subject with my wife. I may need to present her with a done deal.

Hi SEdan, I had a place in NY 2020 which as a foreign fast for age was like gold dust. I've deferred it back to 2023 as I want as normal a NY and mara experience a possible.

welcome CT, another for the Manchester outing. Sticking around and posting here will give you plenty of support etc over the winter months with lots of others all literally in the same boat!

Runs are getting easier. I was concerned over weekend as my HR was high for the efforts. All clear now as I've come down with my first full on cold in a good 15 months. I blame being made to return to the office 3 days a week! Spin tonight, then a few easy runs over the next few days building to 8m then going away for the weekend.

Getting frustrated that the London marathon results still haven't been submitted onto Runbritain.
  • Options
    Thank you for the welcome everyone.

OO - you are a machine! Some great times, you are matching Shalane Flanagan in your marathon efforts!

SEdan - yes, 1983 is my birth year. My running has been (very) patchy this year also.

I suppose I’m in the same boat as some of you post marathon, even though I’ve barely done anything his year. Just trying to build up slowly and add in some s&c, stretching and cycling. Off out for a gentle 6.5 later. I’ll hopefully get up to 20+ miles this week alongside the other bits.
  • Options
    DT - I think the general entries thing with Manchester is just a way for them to hike the prices up when they re-open.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    SBD, you got in my head there.  :D
    Have entered Manchester to at least give me an option next Spring. As well as the flatter course and hopefully cool temps, it will mean a good few weeks of rest and recovery before the London campaign start.
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Welcome CT

You all need to come to Manchester if only to be in with a shout of earning one of these beauties....which could double as a tent. 

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Despite the attractive vest, I can't see myself running Manchester more than once Poacher.

Good decision G-D - another sub 3 at Manchester should be easily achievable.

Sub 3:10 at Manchester should be within your grasp CT.  As you've said, consistent training over the winter is what will get you there.  What do you need for a London GFA?

I had a cold last week as well DT.  Half expected post marathon but thankfully tested negative for Covid.  It would be nice to see the London results on Po10 - Chicago and Boston are there already!  My HM from 3 September is still not there due to complications with the change of location - I will be seriously annoyed if it turns out to be invalid.

Is the NYC charity place for November 2022 SEdan?  If you're not planning a marathon for Spring 2022, will you train for and race at shorter distances?

Good to see you back out running Gul.

Thanks for the local knowledge TR - there is a moderate wind forecast at the moment but there should also be plenty of runners to shelter behind.

Hope you can get those hips back in running shape before the weekend OO.

Tempo run tonight, 8K as the middle section of 14K.  Good to get the legs turning over a little faster again - 6:21/m for the tempo section.  Not quite decided on the plan between now and Sunday, so will probably just play it by ear.  The sports massage on Thursday, delayed from last week due to Covid scares, should help.