Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Shaping up nicely DT. Are you going to run Manchester? If so whats the plan on the day? How about next weekend ?

Did my 3 week out 4m, 13.1m, 3m yday. Was a bit slower than the last few mara campaign with av 6.50 (i was av 6.37 3 wks before vlm), but ive had a cold and yday was windy, so probably more to come. Av HR was a bit lower than id expect too (but thats probably cos i knew i was slow already).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It was very blustery yesterday, Tr. I spent 90 mins on the side of a football pitch and got blasted. I'm sure you'll draw a bit more out on the day. 

Yes planning to run, just no firm plan just yet. I e set my thoughts out so will need to chat through with Lewis. I suspect he was waiting to see how this week's sessions went. 

Next week is a bit pulled about as I'm racing in the road relays Saturday and it's mother's day Sunday so we have plans for much of the day so my long run nudges to the Monday. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    At the thick and sticky end of the cold now which shows the last couple of weeks have been done in the wet battle zone. Got 15 done yesterday, and a steady 5 today to bag 43 for the week. At least I've been sensible and only run due to HR being normal (mid to low 40s).

Glad to get the miles done but a PB tilt seems far off at the mo despite having done more miles then ever.

Meanwhile, the hamstring tendonopathy continues. This campaign has been one continual battle with one thing or another. Looking forward to a break.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hope you are feeling better now, gdawg?

The early forecast for Manchester looks perfect. 

Tough session yesterday of 7 x 5 min at 6mm off 2 min at 7mm. Felt like nothing in the legs, which isn't surprising as the 5 days prior were pretty big. Also got a bit drained by the sudden 18c and sunshine. 

Looks like I'll have much the same to manage at Rd relays on Saturday.  Out at 8am for 5m recovery. Spin tomorrow morning so a much lighter couple of days to rest up prior to racing. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    That's a shame G Dawg but let's hope you perk up as the cold lifts.
    DT I guess Manchester seems like less pressure given recent issues. You may as well give it a blast and see what happens?
    I did 20 on the track this morning trying to get one long run at decent speed (most have been around 9min/mile avg.), but could only manage 7:40 pace. It was a bit of a reality check of where I'm at. I might do another one, slightly shorter before Boston- maybe a 15 next week.
  • Options
    20 miles on the track???? That's a lot of corners to slow you down OO!
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry, 20 miles on the track?  That is ... an interesting choice, sir!

Good news: negative lateral flow this morning (day 11).  Bad news: secondary chest infection since yesterday lunchtime.  Man, am I glad I'm just a fun runner now.  I did walk to the shops and back, though, which was the most excitement I've had in those 11 days.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Jools and those lungs take a while to heal- about 4 weeks in my case.
    I just love running in circles around a track 😛
    18:00 at parkrun today- how annoying is that? Beautiful day with no wind, lovely day for running.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Oo, well done on the track 20. Don't you usually do a track mara?

Hard luck on the digits today, very annoying. 

Jools, hope the chest infection passes. I'm still coughing from that illness I had end of February.

Road relays today in the sunshine. Having not raced since December and had mixed training feedback, struggling with the top end stuff I was low of confidence today and expected the worst.

If you've run at Sutton Park you'll know there's quite a bit of early climbing. I burnt my toast going far too hard on the early hills and I think if it was a standalone race I'd have pulled out. At two miles in I couldn't see how I was going to hang on. 

I did, just and ran 32.00 for 5.33m and hit my base target of getting round sub 6mm pace at 5.59mm.

My splits were pretty consistent given I'd felt like I'd completely thrown the towel in with 6.02, 5.54, 6.01, 6.00 and 5.57 and 6.03mm for last bit. 

Given there was 300ft of elevation in that I don't think it's a million miles off 5.50 ish pace on the flat which is where I was in December. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That sounds rather decent DT especially with the elevation. 5:50 is where its at. That's 18 min 5k pace 👏
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work DT, your dedication to cross training paid off again. Always good to gamble a bit and find yr limits. You're getting back to where you were.

Last long run for me, 5.5 easy, 10 av 6.41, 4.5 easy. Just need the weather gods to be kindish.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, DT.  Having run the Sutton course many times over the years, that first mile is deceptively easy looking, but the climb needs to be paced carefully.  Nice splits, and a decent pace.

4 mile walks yesterday and today.  I don't think I'll be jogging for a few days yet, as a 4 mile walk is about my limit right now!  But it's a real pleasure to be out on glorious sunny days rather than being stuck inside.
  • Options
    On the same, but shorter version of the course DT ran yesterday at Sutton Park, I ran 5.56 pace for 18.53 on leg 4. Just a smidge over 5k. That's the fastest pace I've ever run there I think. 8 days before London I ran a slightly shorter leg (2.7x miles) in 6.00s. 8 days before Manchester 5.56s for 3.18 miles. I actually made the top 10 fastest short legs, but I suspect the fastest runners all took long legs. We put our fastest on a long leg anyway. 
  • Options
    Great running DT, especially after a tough first couple of miles.

OO - impressive combo of 20 mile madness on the track and a pretty speedy parkrun. How are things feeling for Boston?

Glad to hear you're up and active again Jools - sounds like it's hit you pretty hard  :/

How are you feeling now G Dawg?

Manchester folks - any plans for post race catch up?

Counting down the days to Manchester now. Final 20 miler last weekend and as I feel that I've done most of training in pretty undulating / hilly training I'm hoping the flatness of Manchester will be a pleasant change. PB at our local parkrun yesterday which was a) encouraging and b) probably due to the almost ideal running conditions as much as anything else. Followed that up with a lovely 2 hour off-road yomp with MsE this morning - all good fun.

Have also been planning a few bits and pieces for the post Manchester period: a run round the Monopoly Board (streets, stations etc) at the end of April, and a 5 day run with elder Lorenzito along the Leeds - Liverpool Canal which should be both great fun and running through some glorious countryside going over the Pennines.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Speedy, that's very good going. We made the nationals just, finishing 25th which is the cut off. It's harder now as B teams are allowed to qualify so big clubs like BRAT, Bristol and West, Notts etc are all able to field strong B teams. 

Not sure whether I'll run the nationals or make my excuses as it's a little disruptive when I'm much in need now of an undisturbed 4 weeks of training. 

Lorenzo, sounds like you are well set for Manchester. I understand the newer version of the course isn't quite so flat as the previous version? 

Some interesting plans for the months post event. 

Tr, sounds like you are in good shape, Tr. Let's hope the weather behaves. Its certainly looking good for Manchester. 

Will do last weeks long run today, having settled for a recovery run yesterday. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some great running team. Particularly quick stuff going on, well played!
    Sounds like you're in decent shape, Lorenzo. Good work.

I may not run this week, an old injury niggle came back on Saturday. Pes Anserinus, the three hamstring tendons tendons that go to the inside knee/top of the lower leg area flared up. |It should be OK by midweek with some icing but what with the ongoing hamstring tendinopathy that is now just affecting the very top of both hamstrings, complete rest mixed in with some mobility exercises should get me to the start line OK, albeit a little patched up.

Saturday was just a slow 13 miler which felt like 8.25 pace, actually came out at 7.57 which was a nice surprise and a little lift.

As I search for positives, the scales told me on Friday I was just below the 12 an a half stone weight target. That gave me a boost.

I've got a physio massage tomorrow for more patching up and the heavy cold is almost gone, resting HR is improving each day.

Really looking forward to a few weeks off. I've done more miles than the London PB campaign and had all sorts of things thrown at me. I've not done as many speed endurance sessions as I would normally but that means I've had more time on feet. The main positive is the HM PB.

My concerns are the return of injury niggles on the day and how much the recent illness has washed me out. We'll see. Just hoping there's enough in the tank for the primary goal, London GFA.
  • Options
    I've lost track who's going to be running at Manchester now - who else is there? I'm on Red Start B.

Hoping it warms up a bit compared to the forecast - waiting around in 5 degree temp isn't much fun
  • Options
    Shall we have an old style list?

Manchester Marathon
    TRFKA Lorenzo Red B
    CC2                  Red A
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gdawg, I think the main indicator you should look at is the half, followed by the miles run. No reason at all why you can't better London. The weather forecast remains perfect. 

Lorenzo, I think I'll be taking a trip to a charity shop one lunchtime to pick up a coat or hoodie I can dispose of. 

I'm speaking with Lewis tomorrow to discuss a plan. That will determine how far back I drop from the white start so will add in to the list after that. Red B would be the sensible place and it'd take the rush off the morning with a 9.25 start.

Easy 16m yesterday then 6m recovery this morning. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Weather even looks a bit chilly, DT. Thinking of wearing a base layer. Forecast is 5, feels like 3.  What do you reckon? Just the vest but with some gloves?

I've done direct comparisons with the last campaign. In the 6 weeks, same number of runs (81) 15 more miles, 10 secs per mile slower on average across all sessions, but here's the big difference, nearly 4 hours extra time on feet. Got these stats out of Fetcheveryone.com, good summary data views.

Had a sports massage today and the Fizz said I was in good shape. Told me to just run through the tendinopathy discomfort as it will feel better and then maybe worse near the end. That's pretty much the same as what happened in London.

Manchester Marathon
    TRFKA Lorenzo   Red B
    CC2                    Red A
    G-Dawg              Red A

• Options
    My app says 11 degrees for Sunday in Manchester. Depends which forecast you believe!

I also had a massage yesterday and was declared to be in good shape :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I would just trust in your training, gdawg. 

The met Office and BBC both have it 5 or 6c at 10am feeling less. By lunchtime it's up to 10. 

I raced Dorney last April in similar temps and wore vest and shorts with my arm sleeves. That was perfect and I had the option to roll them down if I needed to. I'll be wearing same Sunday. If I were racing I'd be reluctant to go with a base layer. I think you'll regret it in the last third as the temps and your own fatigued body temp nudge up. 
  • Options
    CC2 - Speedy GothCC2 - Speedy Goth ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    None of my apps are that detailed yet. I have a load of old clothes to wear beforehand that I can ditch at the start line. I'm just going to look like a vagrant on my way there! Vest, shorts and chuckable gloves for the race. I might cobble together some disposable arm warmers from one of the pairs of long socks I had to buy when my leg was in a walking boot. Easy to rip off when I get too warm!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    10 x 1k today off 1 minute. Always find this session a bit of a 'creeper'. 5 reps in it's comfortably hard then suddenly by rep 8 I'm finding uncomfortably hard. 

Slowest rep 3.40 fastest 3.31 so reasonable enough. 

Had a chat with Lewis. He wants an hour easy/8m then 3 x 5m at mp off 1m easy then the last 1.3 I can either cool down or finish strong, my call based on how I am. 

If that goes to plan I'll finish 2.59-3.01 ish. Ultimately a marathon is still a marathon though and there's plenty to derail that. 

I'm going to drop back to red b start so I can go off around the 3.15 pacer. By the time we hit 8m I should have a clear enough path ahead. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Very exciting to have a race to talk about with several of you participating. I also have several club pals running mainly hoping for sub 3. So an exciting day in prospect. 
    Hope you are feeling better Jools 🤞
    3 weeks out from Boston I'm having a slight taper week after 2× 68 mile weeks. No injuries but a few niggles. Even I'm getting nervous with all this race talk. 
  • Options
    That sounds like a wise approach DT - may well see you on the Red B start in that case, although I suspect you'll be leaving me for dust at the 8 mile mark!

Trust you'll be providing some photos of your pre-race attire Speedy :)
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Question for previous Manchester runners:
    The Manchester marathon website encourages small-ish rucksacks and gym bags for the bag drop. Will they take a holdall style sports bag? As I'm staying overnight, I'll have a few extra items at a race event than I normally would.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Scratch that question. Tried to fit my stuff into the rucksack last night with the clothes etc I'd have in there  when handing it in, no chance! Regular holdall it is.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gdawg, I very much doubt they'll turn you away at the pens with a bag that is on the larger side of their loose definition. 

I'm off charity shopping at lunchtime to find a coat or thick hoody to dispose of. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Went to poundland, picked up warm hat, pack of 2 gloves and a hoody for £6. That'll do for the pens.