Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes I was effectively going steady, mp and pretty much 10k pace. The steady felt utterly pedestrian. 

Xc race in July? Decent bit of distance over the two runs. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I've got DOMS in my thighs after hitting the strength work and post-holiday miles too hard this week.
    8 miles today with downhill attacks got ugly near the end. Garmin told me I'd done 60 miles in the last 7 days which included a track session of 4 x 1 mile at 6.2x pace off 60 sec recs. On the road I'm struggling for pace but that will come.

On the plus side, I've weighed myself for the past 3 days and I'm just about at race weight. Weighed a few times to make sure it wasn't an anomaly due to excess sweat and lack of fluids, I've been drinking plenty of water. Should be able to get lower in the next few weeks.

A welcome rest day tomorrow and 17 planned for Saturday. It's 50 plus miles per week from now until taper. Gonna try DT's 10 day cliff-edge taper, I usually do 2 weeks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gdawg, there's still a benefit in running a decent session 10 days out as the fitness gains should just filter in so for me it's all go until the Friday session, then 12m Sunday then not much at all. 

12m mlr yesterday and 6m easy today. Spin later. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - if you are creating more fatigue then you may need the 2weeks. Depends what a taper looks like anyway i guess.

XC was a trail race at local country park on the south downs. Started off a bit slowly really and was making way through but lost control on a chalky downhill and decided to ease off a bit when required, chances of AG win drifted away then, similar on another couple of descents through the forest with marshall warnings of mind the tree roots, turned my ankle a bit, swore a bit and eased off. Good blast but ridiculously hilly.  Decided coming out of it unscathed if possible was wise. 10m with wu and wd. Trophy and choccies for 2nd m50. Hips and ankles were sore, but surprisingly good during 6m commute in today, reckon the doms will turn up though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr well done on the prizes. That's why I dont do xc, the risk of ankle turning etc far outweighs any strength gain benefit. 

Big session yesterday, been dreading it a while and wasn't helped by being warmish yesterday. 8 x 1m off 45s at hmp. Managed it really well and for second successive session felt really strong. Splits of 5.54, 5.55, 5.56, 5.53, 5.54, 5.51, 5.51 and 5.56. 

Off into brum shortly to try and find a spot for the mara. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent morning at mara. had a spot in the loop where all runners passed 4 times. Managed to bring home the drink bottle of the Aussie runner mostly full, with his gel still taped to it. It's in the fridge as want to taste it later to see if it's maurtens. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cracking session DT, well done, more increased volume again with the wu and wd no doubt. Well done on supporting the marathon.

Im away sono long run. But id staked out a suitable long lane for 14x3min this morning, but the  first mile up to it was ridiculously steep, stupid tryimg to run up it really, same on way back down. Didnt do my trail race doms any favours.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes 12m in total. 

Looking at results two of the females ran 3.02. The one women who was at the back, by quite a way, was like a tourist, having a lovely time waving and smiling, almost lile she was there by accident. Someone must have stopped for a while for her to have got close.

Was also surprising how small the fields were. Don't think the Scots had anyone, one English runner in each field, 1 Welsh man and 2 women and 1 Irish male. Neither race had more than 20 runners. 

So did the 14 x 3 mins get done OK in the end? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    DT - 3 x 12m in a week, nice.....aussie really rate and attack commonwealth games (probably over the worlds champs at marathon too) as they see medal chances, would have been much better if home nations all took 3 or 4 in each race, would  need relaxing of qualification times though. Less than 20 runners in a champs race is really sad.......found a straightish, flatish couple of miles, rarely saw a vehicle on it, av pace for the 49mins off effort (inc the 14x30sec jog) came in av 6.40 which is about as good as it ever gets, so good session, 10m in total. Not sure how many I'll build to, before vlm 2021 i topped out at 14 reps, but ive done 20 in the past. Maybe ill do 16 next week and see, its basically a long farlek.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you guys have all been letting yourselves go on holidays 🤣 How did you find Croatia G Dawg? I loved it but was a bit cooler in May. 
    The mara route looked pretty tough DT for the commonwealth. Just as well time was not a factor when they sent the leader the wrong way. 
    I think I would be more relaxed about missing the long runs if I hadn't failed to break 3 hours in my last 3 maras DT. I felt I needed a strong campaign this time but I'm not really getting it so far. On the plus side I am still quick. Another sub 18 at yesterday's Keswick parkrun (17:47). 12 miles today will get me 50 for the week. I'd like to go further but as you say I'm here in the Lakes with family and don't like to take the p*ss. 
    Not sure I mentioned but I've also entered Malaga marathon in December. Its another holiday around a race, but at least gives me a 2nd chance if I screw up in London 🙏
    How did the XC go TR. Isn't that a bit out of season?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Croatia was great, OO. High temperatures every day in both Split and on the island of Brac. Would definitely go again. It will be interesting to see what the Euro does to the economy when they transfer next year.

Well done on the quick parkrun. Malaga sounds good, isn't that a similar time of year to Valencia? A mate is doing it, supposed to be flat. Not sure what Malaga is like.

Got a 17 mile LSR done on Saturday and 5 recovery yesterday to score 51 miles for the week (Mon to Sun).
    The holiday meant I could only get 148 miles in for July.

Legs sore after hitting the big miles too soon so having a rest day today with some decent S&C work.

Hope others got the discount code for the Nike app last week? I got a pair of Zoom Fly 4 for £92, usually £145.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Malaga is a week later I think and a few more undulations. I considered Valencia but logistics and costs are less favorable from the North East.
    Another pb last night. 9:56.6 for a 3000m track race. Not sure where this firepower is coming from certainly enjoying it while it lasts.
    I'm sure your body will adjust soon G Dawg, needs must.
    When are folks applying for gfa for London 23?
    What time are you aiming for in the London virtual DT?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I applied weeks ago, OO. Used my Manchester time (3.06, need sub 3.15) which should be enough. I only did Manchester to get the GFA by August 7th, then they bloomin' changed the qualifying window to October 2nd. Still it's in the bag now so this London is a free hit.

Congrats on the PB. Your pace is amazing right now!

7 trail miles this morning, nice and easy pace. My right leg had almost no pain for the first time in about a year and the left side was also an improvement but there's another injury niggle there for extra fun. Saying this quietly, but maybe the work is starting to show? We'll see.

Track session tonight for a double day.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo , fair point re breaking 3. You're quicker than me over 3k to 5m right now so just need to get the long miles done. 

Congrats on the pb. 

I'm not sure about London 23 now as I'll be in Boston until the Thursday before it. My sons birthday is day before do if I did run I'd travel day of race so I'd need someone who can get my number so all sounding rather hard work. 

London Virtual will just be run within Chester mara on that day so whatever my legs have post Berlin. 

Good to hear things are coming together with the leg pain, gdawg. I've got so many running shoes waiting in the wings I won't need to buy any gor a while. 

Easy 20m Sunday gave me 68 for week and 244m for July.  This week is another big one then I'll pull it back a touch next week as have a half on the Sunday. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Session today of 3k at hmp then 3 x 1k at 5kp off 1 min then 3k at hmp. 3 mins between blocks. Was rather caught out by the warmth but more so humidity. My top was drenched after the 1k reps. With 4m of wu and cd, 10m in total. 

3k blocks came in at 11 min and 11.03 and 1k reps at 3.32, 3.33 and 3.33. 12m mlr tomorrow. Looks set to be quite a bit fresher after tomorrow. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Double day yesterday with 7 trail miles before work and 8 miles on and around the track.
    Session was laps, 5, 4, 3, 2, the 4x400. Started at 6.2x pace and got the 400s down to 5.43. Really pleased to run strong for a change. It was warm and very windy down the back straight. First strong session for a while.
    15 for the day.

Work obstructed today's session plan but did get out late to do 8 miles steady (7.17) in very warm conditions. 
    Weight is still one pound away from race weight, so feeling in a good spot with just over 8 weeks to go.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some good volume, gdawg.

Likewise I'm down to 2lb off race weight, albeit I have my summer holiday to come. 

12m at 8mm today. 24c which now feels quite average. It'll feel freezing when it suddenly drops to 12c and drizzle. 

Treated myself to some new kit today. Purchased to v4 soar halftights, currently running in v2. Then I bought a racing vest so £160 lighter but with my alphafly v2 I'm all set for Berlin. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Well done on the 3k pb OO, im hopefully applying for my gfa the day after london.

Going well DT, another big session, backed up by a mlr again roo.

Dawg - big day there, dont cook yourself after that 2 wks off.

Did a progressive 10m yday, ending with a few 6.5Xs. Did a BAC session for a change today, knew the 10x5min session was about this time in the schedule, but with the approx mile up to the flatter roads and back id have been over the self imposed 10m limit for the week, do i did 9 x 5min/60 sec jog, av pace for the reps was 6.30, so bit quicker than mp, waa super humid. Few easy days then 10m trail race Sunday, then its time to get the longer runs done.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I think I'll just get the gfa done and dusted then. 
    I'm bang on race weight 11:7 but really tough to maintain this level.
    Another race tonight, just a road mile but 5:07 which is a road mile PB, if I ever had one. Long run tomorrow and hopefully my 1st 18-20 miler on Sunday 🤞

Love those Soar vests DT but a bit beyond my budget 😳
  • I hadn't checked the full results of the marathon, but now I'm seriously considering moving to the Solomon Islands. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It was quite bizarre, Speedy watching such an event and thinking I wouldn't have disgraced myself! 

The shorts and vest arrived yesterday, they are literally like the emperors new clothes, completely weightless even when I compare them to my other soar tights and aeroswift vest which are very light. 

Splendid work on the mile race, oo. 

I was the lightest this morning I've been since just before MK mara. 

Back to a staple session today of 10m at 160bpm. Came in 6.16 for 161. Picked it up 2nd half so average pace was 6.20 at 5m then 6.12 for 2nd half. With wu and Cd I  covered 14m. Was contemplating a trot around parkrun tomorrow at mp just for a social as spin is cancelled but with 21 on Sunday I might just take the scheduled rest day. 

Off to the athletics tomorrow night, quite a few finals to be viewed. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - really poor that the home nations didnt fill fields in most events, having strict qualifying times is pointless when folks could be given experience instead.

DT - if that new kit makes you feel fast before the gun has even been fired then its worth the outlay. Good idea having race day only kit. Cracking tempo, plus the 14m in total. Definite upping of the distances and volume, will be interesting to see how it goes.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I suppose to be fair they must have begun planning the QTs when Tokyo was going to take place in 2020 and Eugene in 2021 - and then we ended up with a super-congested schedule.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and my club is sufficiently desperate that I am out of retirement briefly to do the 5,000m at the Midland League next week.  (We're apparently in the relegation battle...)  The only question is whether I can get within 3 minutes of my PB (18.26) after the best part of 1 year without speedwork.  Tried 5 x 1km off 2 minutes this morning, and chipped my way down from 4.21 to 4.08.  Still, it'll hopefully be fun to race with no pressure, and catch up with a few clubmates.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Jools I hope at least you enjoy it. Don't the ladies do 3k in the league?
    I'm in Keswick again and ran 17:49.at parkrun.
     It felt like a hard slog today so I may cut back my 20 to 18 tomorrow. 
    Enjoying the Commonwealth games especially the McColgan race- really pleased for her. Bird also ran a great steeplechase to pick up silver.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Jools, I'm sure you'll do well. 

Nice parkrunning, oo.  Yeah, worth taking no risks!

I woke up at 7 15 today and it looked nice out and I felt quite fresh so decided to get to parkrun for a social run at mara pace. I was heading to Worcester to find huge delays on m5 as a caravan had overturned and it was already 8.40. Turned round and raced to next closest and just got there for 9. Ended up running progressively and faster than mp with a 6.13, 6.09, 6.03 and 5.35 for a nice opening of legs in final bit for 19.10.

Was quite enjoyable. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Mids now alternates 3000m and 5000m over the 4 matches, OO.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    We had similar issues on the way to Keswick yesterday DT caught just behind a bizarre accident on the A66. A ninety year old man out for a walk knocked over by an 80 year old driver. Fortunately we weren't in a hurry and got rerouted but not if it wasza fatality- hope not 🤞. The Keswick parkrun is 200m from our house so we can fall out of the door 10 mins before the start. 
    I do love a progression parkrun- I guess you had no time to warm up 👍
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoy it Jools. Might be the start of a comeback.

OO - impressive to go sub18 again, but you might need to take a leafput of DTs book and favour the long run over a fast parkrun. If you're fresh enough to get to 18 tomorrow then you'd be ok to do 20, if you're finding it a slog like today then you wont get anywhere near 18m.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I can guarantee it won't be the start of a comeback: I don't miss having a schedule and worrying about splits and all of that.  I'm embracing being a fun runner!  10 miles today.  Bit on the warm side for my tastes, although I probably should have got out of the door before 8am given the forecast.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - good for you, i hope you enjoy it. With no pressure.

Harting trail 10m race, up on south downs way, was brutally hard as ever and a bit of a scorcher with a late start.
    Worked out who i needed to beat in the first couple of miles and then picked  my way through a few places. M50 trophy and £15 for the AG win. Always reminds me that its such a hard race, bit like a marathon. 66.4X compared to 65.3X last time out in 2019, difficult to compare though as its not a race for time, and it was scorchio, 2m wu and 2m wd, so 14m for the day. IoW 1/2 in 2 wks will give a better result for comparison with previous years.