Options

the Marathon of the North

Comments

• Options

would they really admit if it was measured short though? I know I and a few others all measured it as rather short and my friend who did the half measured that short too.

It's really bad if the distance was short.

• Options

wow Daisy and Shielsy the Thunder run sounds quite a challenge but fun too. I have run with a head torch a few times, strange sensation and the stronger the light the better. It is just remembering you have it on when you remove a hat!

Shielsy, thank you for thinking of coming to Yorkimage hoping it is well supported, know it is hard if roads are closed. I live nearby and lots of friends are saying they will come along. I hope one day to support/marshall a run as so many people have helped me.

Shades has a thread on the training forum and seems to have designed 2 plans and kindly offers support and guidance to thousands! I have her plans now. So am giving it some thought.

Daisy, running and cake sounds the perfect combo! I have just done the cake this week. Have been out for a few walks and planning a short run with my daughter this weekend as we are training for Leeds 10k in July.

Interesting Tim that your legs are suffering more than after your 55, hope you are feeling ok now.

Capples, I think I once read it can take a day per mile to recover from a mara....I guess it is just the thing of listening to your body. Do you have another mara planned?

Yesterday I developed more DOMS, I have extra new found respect for Adrian running 2 marathons in a week and knocking 10 mins off pb. I really don't know how you did it! Fantastic achievementimage

• Options

Lily - I thoroughly recommend Thunder Run - we treat it more like a 'running weekend break' really.  Definitely agree with you on the stronger headtorch the better ... that's so important when running through woods at midnight.  Mine's an Alpkit one, and I made the mistake of looking at it when I switched it on for the first time ... I could barely see for ages!

Sorry to hear you've got DOMS, hope it passes.  Where does the York marathon start and finish?  My brother lives really near the university so it'd be easy for me to come along and cheer on the runners.

I did South Shields parkrun this morning (I rarely do parkruns ... too early for me, but I wanted to wear my Marathon of the North t-shirt image).  I'd intended to treat it as a recovery run, but of course that went out the window as soon as I started running alongside everyone.  The route is very scenic, along the coastline up on the Leas, but it's a bit 'uppy downy'.  The last mile is the final mile of the Great North Run for those who have done it, and it was running right into the wind, which was a bit of a sickener after last week image but I managed to overtake 2 blokes at the final half mile and came in at 24:34 (watch time, no idea what my official time is)  It's not a 5k pb for me, but I'm still a bit pleased.

I'd recommend the run to anyone local - as long as you're not chasing a pb maybe?

• Options

Shielsy, the York marathon starts and finishes at the university so that would be perfect for you. There is quite a good map on the website http://www.theyorkshiremarathon.com/events/

your park run sounds fun, good for you getting out and running image

this time last week I was so nervous and excited ......

• Options
    lily of the valley wrote (see)

your park run sounds fun, good for you getting out and running image

this time last week I was so nervous and excited ......

Me too ... I really need to stop eating as if I'm still marathon training, lol.

• Options

know what you mean Shielsy, but maybe you are making up for the marathon, then being unwell.image

• Options

I feel the thread is fading away...........I will miss it image thank you so much all of you for the support, encouragement, advice and of course laughs you have given me.........hope to see you on another thread soon,

L of the Vimage

• Options

Yes hope to catch up with you again on another thread soon.I also use alpkit head torch and they are great. A friend ran at Thunderun last year and he really enjoyed it.

My next race will be the HM110 and I am just a little nervous!

• Options

good to hear from you Tim, all the best with HM110, you will be great, don't be nervousimage

• Options

Awwww tha is for the kind words Lily image

I've not been around much - working and training still for Edinburgh!..hence the lack of posts. Good to see everyones plan etc.

This thread has been amazing - I've thoroughly enjoyed posting/reading all of your pre and post race thoughts/experiences. Same time next year, yeah? 

I'lll pop back from time to time and hope to see you all in other threads....

• Options

Lily - you could join a thread about the York marathon (or start one if there isn't already one?)

But please keep us up to date with how your training is going.  I sort of wish I was doing it, but the thought of maintaining that high mileage kind of makes me glad I'm not image.

• Options

good to hear from you Adrian and Shielsy. Please pop back Adrian and let us know how Edinburgh goes. Have entered VLM ballot again so will decide once I am probably rejected which one to run. Had thought of Brathay Windermere but understand it is v hilly! Not sure if I will be tempted to return to Sunderland. Thanks Shielsy, had joined a York thread which is slowly getting going, but still miss you guys from this thread! Guess it takes time...... Have you both entered the VLm ballot? Understand support is brilliant, of course the loo situation will worry me, absolutely brilliant at M of the N!

• Options
    lily of the valley wrote (see)

! Not sure if I will be tempted to return to Sunderland.

Me neither!  If I do return to Sunderland next year, it would be for something a lot more sensible, like the 10k image.  I thought it was rather a hilly course for something described as flat.  In all honesty I would never have entered it had I known of the undulations.

Yes, I have entered the VLM ballot, but I'm not optimistic.  I was considering the Lochaber marathon as supposedly it gets excellent reviews and is very flat ... but the downside is that there isn't much support en route and I can't imagine there'd be very many portaloos along the course (though I could be wrong).

At the moment I'm not 100% convinced I'd do another marathon.

• Options

Yep, me AND the Missus are in! She said something about being inspired by meimage

I'd advise against doing 3 in 5 weeks - I'm looking forward to Edinburgh but have some tweaks/aches/blisters that could do with a rest and not a 20 miler on the weekend...

2 in a week was fine thoimage

• Options

Adrian, you definitely are an inspiration! Would a rest be better for you than 20 miles this w/e? As you know you can do that distance and more. Or just a few miles to keep your legs ticking over.image I am off for a 10 mile run along the river in York today, my first longish run since Sunderland.

• Options

Thanks Lily. Not sure about this weekend - can see the benifits of a lsr and also a slower, shorter more easy run.

Think I'll toss a coin in Saturday morning!!

Running in York sounds fun and pretty!

• Options

I will miss this thread too - we must get the York one moving Lily!  Though it still seems a long way away.  Must look to see it there's a more active Thunderrun one than the one I saw.

• Options

Daisybrain - there's  few of us doing Thunder Run who 'live' on the big Great North Run thread.  I'm sure nearer the time we'll all be discussing it on there if other threads about it aren't that active. 

• Options

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-22488193

brilliant.. So I've possibly lost my London GFA if they lose their certificate of accuracy..

• Options

Gutted for you Oliver. Surprisingly quite affected by the email earlier on. Really glad I've got Edinburgh to now focus on but bang goes my two mara's in a week. Feel really quite....sad image

• Options

Yeah it's disgusting really, and the cheek to offer 25% off next years, yeah thanks a lot..

only alternative, if I lose out, is to train hard and knock 9 minutes off by October for Chester to earn a Championship entry, they don't have to be until January, but that's going to be a big push..!

• Options

I know. Should have been free at the very least if you ask me. I wondered if this would come out...hoped it wouldn't...like I said surprisingly affected. I'll get over it - but if this was my only mara this year, or indeed ever....it's such a silly, and avoidable mistake...

sigh

• Options

Daisy, the York one is getting going now, it is on the events forum, hope to see you there soonimage My run along the river was lovely but now I have a foot injuryimage maybe my body telling me I should rest a bit!

Cannot believe what I have read from the M of the N, where could 700+ runners have gone wrong?! I did have to ask some other runners the way to the finish, just because I couldn't see it round the bend in the road and I was all by myself. So sorry Oliver, is it worth contacting VLM and explaining the situation as you were still really fast.

Feel for you too Adrian, still believe you ran 2 marathons in a week. And as to offering us 25% off.....should at least be free to remotely tempt me back......but even then I doubt I would..

Hope everyone is feeling ok today

• Options

Just popping on here to add my two pence worth:  I'm absolutely gutted, and absolutely furious ... like, so mad I'm jumping!

How shambolic that marshalls managed to direct the front runner in the right direction, but not runners 2, 3, and the thousands that came after them!  What on earth happened between runner 1 and 2 to effect such a cock-up?

I trained really hard for months through the winter for this ... doing cross country races and then epic long runs the day after so that I'd perform well at my second marathon, and was pleased I was able to knock (so I thought!) 26 minutes off my marathon time ... but now I still have to consider my London time as my official marathon time, even though I slogged my guts out in Sunderland - as we all did.

I hated that marathon, and like I said I have no intention of doing it again next year.  So to offer a piddling 25% off next year's race is a joke!  Where does that leave those of us who don't intend to run it next year?  

It's not the same as finding out your 10k race you did was short (although that too, would be shabby!)  as marathons take it out of you like 10ks don't.  It's not like you can just do another one next week to try and attain that elusive pb.  For most of us mortals who aren't natural born long distance runners, a marathon is a one-off, or at least a once a year thing.   I don't even feel like I can wear the t-shirt anymore image.

Someone on the Facebook group is saying that they (the organizers) breached the contract of providing an officially measured course, and as such should offer people their money back.  I'm sure that there'll be some fine print which gets them off the hook, but morally at least they didn't provide us with what they promised.

This has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Options

hi I've just found this thread.does anyone know exactly where the course was cocked up? my splits on my garmin were out of sync with the mile markers from well before the half way point,i've got nearly two minutes difference with the official results at halfway.

I'm just asking as I finished 2nd place.but I only moved into 2nd with less than a mile to go and I don't think I took a wrong turn.i think they measured the course wrong myself with the mile markers been so far out from early on in the race.either that or the wrong turn must of been in the first ten mile or so and if that's the case the half race must be out aswell , but I haven't s seen anything about the half also been short.

what an absolute shambles they can stick the 25% wont be doing it again.

• Options

Ste t - the mistake was made apparently by the Sheepfolds area near the Stadium of light.  The half marathon was short as well, and they followed the same route up to the Stadium of Light, where we branched off in different directions.

• Options

Shielsy- Largely agree- I don't really have the time to train for several marathons a year, although I admire those who do enter and complete more than one a year. I can tolerate the weather (no-one's fault), the hills (well, the route was well known, I ould have checked before entering etc). But a seemingly obvious point, i.e. getting the f**king distance right.... I have a feeling that some poor sod will be scapegoated, someone who volunteered to marshall will end up copping the flak. I find it difficult to believe that on the day after the second and third runners went the "wrong" way, no race organiser had an inkling of this.

The 25% discount is tokenistic at best- they know that either people won't do it again anyway or would have done it again regardless since there are relatively few opportunities to run marathons in the North East.

I'm taking my time as official (finally, officially listed- 3:36- wayhey!) as I did the training and completed the course.

Oliver- can the GFA problem not be resolved by mathematically extrapolating your time to include the extra 200 and odd metres? We know you would still be within the limits of GFA.

For what it's worth I believe the problem was around 10 miles- my watch was way out around that marker and in that park I remember thinking I had taken a wrong turn. I just hope the organisers simply state that there was a mistake, apologise and not single out one particular individual.

Good luck to everyone in future marathons- make sure you don't take "shortcuts"image

• Options

at least it wasn't my fault then.just hope it doesn't mess up mine and everyone else's qualifying times for London.was in two minds wether or not to run York in October looks like this has made my mind up hope they get that one right.

maybe the organisers at sunderland should of kept the route a bit more straight forward instead of all the little turns and out and backs.

• Options

Anyone doing the Pier to Pier tomorrow? No danger of distance mismeasurement nonsense there at least...

• Options

Capples - I'd love to be doing the Pier to Pier - it's a great run, if a little challenging at the start and finish, but I'm working all day tomorrow.

Have a good one.  I was up at South Shields today doing parkrun and it was rather brutally windy (surprise surprise) so I hope the weather is kinder for all you racers tomorrow.