The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well, I went for the 20 miler and...it was fine...phewph! image

Foot felt good but I'll have to see how it is over the next couple of days. I'll have my balls out - tennis balls of course, for rolling under the foot, what else? And I'll be icing, prodding and rolling to hopefully prevent any tigtness creeping in.

Thanks for your encoragement. I was saying on Sarah's thread that without the great moral support I would have definitely chickened out. Now I feel so much more confident. I have 3 weeks to manage any remaining niggles and I am in serious danger of completing a proper taper for once!

I'm getting very excited for you all too. One week to go - woo hoo! 

Sarah - I think it makes a big difference knowing what happens on the day. You know exactly how long it takes to get there. You know you don't have to hit the pens too early. You know the toilet situation. 60 mins slower than MP! Now that is erring on the side of caution image

Well done on getting to taper - that's an achievement in itself!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Hi,

Youve made me want another sport massage again now...I must get one booked, maybe for next friday if possible!

You must have been fuming with your friends. Drunk friends and relatives can be so annoying sometimes. Chris is a nightmare. He was before london last year. He drank loads whilst I was on water, he then was acting stupid at the hotel until god knows what time before he passed out and started snoring. I still got about 4-5 hours sleep before I woke up and tried my best to make as much noise as possible to disturb his sleep....which he slept straight through. He then complained the next day that he was hungover and dehydrated whilst waiting for me to run by!!

It was my first marathon last year Malcs, but somehow, I think I might be worse this year as I know whats to come!

I have been recording all my runs on a spread sheet so it doesnt tell me my average pace overall but I know my LSR have been at least 30 mins slower than MP and today it was 60 mins slower. Im hoping that the speed training and races kick in on marathon day to help pick up my pace...I think thats what is supposed to happen!

Ive hit taper time now too, my last LSR this morning!

Hey Sarah.......Great to see you've reached taper time intact! It's nice to see other Spring marathon runners now hitting taper time as it makes me realise just how soon both Paris and London are now! I hope you enjoy the easier weeks now before London.

I was a little angry with my friends during the day of the marathon, especially as they were supposed to be bringing my wallet so I could take the Subway for the 3 mile walk to the hotel (they'd all forgot where we were supposed to meet up at the finish, so I was forced to walk!). But as soon as the first celebratory pints were sunk that evening, any ill feelings were soon forgotten. It has made me be a little bit more selective now in who I go to marathons with! I hope you have for-warned Chris for London this year!image

My long runs have been very similar in general, averaging about 30 secs below MP pace, apart from the 15 mile MP run I did 2 weeks ago. Like you, I'm also hoping my speed sessions will mean I'll manage MP without too many problems.

Good luck with your taper!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Well, I went for the 20 miler and...it was fine...phewph! image

Foot felt good but I'll have to see how it is over the next couple of days. I'll have my balls out - tennis balls of course, for rolling under the foot, what else? And I'll be icing, prodding and rolling to hopefully prevent any tigtness creeping in.

Thanks for your encoragement. I was saying on Sarah's thread that without the great moral support I would have definitely chickened out. Now I feel so much more confident. I have 3 weeks to manage any remaining niggles and I am in serious danger of completing a proper taper for once!

I'm getting very excited for you all too. One week to go - woo hoo! 

Sarah - I think it makes a big difference knowing what happens on the day. You know exactly how long it takes to get there. You know you don't have to hit the pens too early. You know the toilet situation. 60 mins slower than MP! Now that is erring on the side of caution image

Well done on getting to taper - that's an achievement in itself!

Hey Malcs.......another 20 miler in the bag........I think that beats all my records of 20 milers ran in a single marathon training plan. You're definitely in a good position, even with missing the first two weeks or so with the lurgy.

Last proper run for me today before Paris next week. 8.5 miles comfortable. Felt quite lethargic to start with, but got in to it later on in the run. It was nice to see during the run that even if I'm slow to start with and run the first few miles slower than MP, then there's no need to worry or panic as there's plenty of miles to make up that time!

I hope you're furry balls are relieving your tightness issues!  

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 29th March 2013

Not as many snacks as Ruth has recommended, but as I was out for  most of the day, I wasn't really in the position to snack today!

8:30am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre with Semi-Skimmed milk, cup of tea

9:30am - Pint of squash

1:30pm - Lunch - Vegetable burrito, salad, mint tea.

3:30pm - Bottle of traditional lemonade

4:00pm - Clementine, pint of squash

4:45pm - 3 mile jog (see earlier for description)

7:30pm - Dinner - Egg, tuna and gherkin baguette, pint of squash

8:30pm - Pint of squash, cup of tea, Muller Yoghurt

10:00pm - Glass of water

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 30th March 2013

9:00am - Breakfast - Hot Cross Bun, cup of tea

10:00am - Cross-training (exercise bike - see earlier for description)

12:30pm - Lunch - A piece of bread and butter pudding, small tub of soy beans. Pint of squash

2:30pm - Bottle of water

4:00pm - Anchovy baguette, Clementine, pint of squash

5:30pm - Dinner - Lamb, potato, carrot and onion stew (small portion), pint of squash

8:30pm - Cup of tea, yoghurt, and maybe a little piece of chocolate Easter egg 'borrowed' from my wife's Easter egg when she wasn't looking!

9:30pm - Cup of tea, small pack of sushi.

10:30pm - Cup of tea

• Sarah O

Taper time - well done and stay healthy now.

Shady Ady -happy with above. Snacks until carb load starts, in a few days time, can now be only fruit or a low fat yoghurt but still don't let yourself get so hungry you overeat at main meals. i would rather you eat smaller meals and increase snacks if this happens.

This time next week you can be eating the biggest dessert and I won' t even mind!!!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Hey Malcs.......another 20 miler in the bag........I think that beats all my records of 20 milers ran in a single marathon training plan. You're definitely in a good position, even with missing the first two weeks or so with the lurgy.

Last proper run for me today before Paris next week. 8.5 miles comfortable. Felt quite lethargic to start with, but got in to it later on in the run. It was nice to see during the run that even if I'm slow to start with and run the first few miles slower than MP, then there's no need to worry or panic as there's plenty of miles to make up that time!

I hope you're furry balls are relieving your tightness issues!  

Ha image Yes, furry balls are doing their job nicely thanks!

I think it beats my own record count for 20 milers too. Only ever done 3 before. On top of that only one niggle which for me is the biggest thing.

8.5 miles must feel like a walk in the park for you now. Glad to hear that you're not being fooled by the initial few miles lethargy. Yet another one of the mind tricks we are treated to in the taper! 

So, LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO. Wow! A few jogs and a 5 miler is all you have left. Fantastic stuff. I genuinely can't wait to see how much you smash it by.

You've played a great campaign so far. Don't let the taper madness get to you and enjoy the low mileage week ahead of the big one.

Remind me, is it Thursday or Friday you travel out there?

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Sarah O
    Taper time - well done and stay healthy now.

Shady Ady -happy with above. Snacks until carb load starts, in a few days time, can now be only fruit or a low fat yoghurt but still don't let yourself get so hungry you overeat at main meals. i would rather you eat smaller meals and increase snacks if this happens.
    This time next week you can be eating the biggest dessert and I won' t even mind!!!

image - Only fruit and yoghurt for snacks.........this is actually musics to my ears as it takes away any temptations of eating any more of the delicious Victoria Sponge cake Mrs. Shady baked today. 

I'm looking forward to earning that massive dessert next week! image

• Woop only a week to go! Exciting!!
  • Thanks Malcs...it was so hard to run that slow...but I did it image Congrats again on your 20 miler this weekend.

Thankyou Ruth....no more late nights and partying now until after london image

Hi Ady, I think I might swap rooms so I share with my mum, and chris and my dad share the other room...not sure how to tell them yet though! Everyone says that the speed sessions and LSR all come together on the day. Everything seems to be going to plan at the moment, so I have every confidence that its going to work.

• Hi Ady, sorry for not posting for a while as been a bit manic at work, but have been watching on garmin and lurking...

Really impressed at the programme you've done, and sure that all the hard work and miles will pay off with a marathon to remember this weekend. It was good to hear that lethargy initially is a taper related thing, as I felt that last time and was a bit twitched about it.

Finally managed to work out what was happening with my heart rate monitor- when uploading after a run I was getting periods when my heart rate was going up to 210-220 beats/minute. This was associated with no symptoms so I wasn't too worried but there was a niggle at the back of my mind this was something serious. However Google to the rescue- when it is very cold the contacts don't read too well as you don't sweaat, and also they are very susceptible to static. It all made sense- I bought a new long sleeved top (from an Asics cometitor brand image) and thats when it all started. Hopefully not going to peg over in the middle of my next LSR image

Enjoy this week, and savour the run at the weekend- looking for a massive time! Just think of the cakes at the end!!image

• Day 104 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (30/03/13)

Target: Rest or Cross-Training

Actual: 14.5 miles in 48 mins on exercise bike on hills setting.

It's a nice feeling waking up on a Saturday morning and realising the first day of the weekend isn't going to be dictated by a long run. Don't get me wrong.....too many weekends without a long run and I'd be thinking exactly the opposite. But once in a while it makes a nice change to have a slow stroll down to the gym and do something different.......and still have time to enjoy the afternoon!

Part of me thought I shouldn't do anything today. It is taper time after all and my schedule did give me the chance of a rest day. But then the  other parts knows how lethargic I can feel during the last week of taper, so even doing something easy should help with this feeling.

I settled with a compromise - an easier than normal session on the exercise bike. It still worked up a sweat, but it felt easy as the resistance was minimal.

With a free afternoon, I thought I'd be a tourist in London for the rest of the day. A few hours spent being elbowed, trodden on and pushed about my the crowds, I was wishing I'd had a long run to do instead!

• Day 105 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (31/03/13)

Target: 8.5 mile comfortable run @ 7:50-8:40m/m

Actual: 8.57 mile comfortable run in 1:09:38 @ 8:07m/m

Interval Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:31m/m. 2nd @ 8:24m/m. 3rd @ 8:24m/m. 4th @ 8:24m/m. 5th @ 8:10m/m. 6th mile @ 8:05m/m. 7th @ 7:45m/m. 8th @ 7:44m/m. Last 0.57 @ 7:20m/m.

I'm really happy with the run today. On the outside, it looks nothing spectacular at all. Just a short weekend run, ran slower than my MP. But it took an awful amount of willpower to do it like this. When told the run is comfortable, I normally attempt to run this at the top end of my pacing target. In this case, it would be slightly quicker than MP. I know doing my entire last long run faster than MP just a week before the marathon would be a stupid thing to do, but for some reason, my brain was still telling me it would still be a great 'confidence-boosting' idea!

In the end, I settled on a compromise. I'd run the first 4 miles at MP+40secs (8:30m/m), the next 2 miles at MP+20secs (8:10m/m) and then the last 2.5 miles at MP. The reason I decided to run like this, was that I wanted to try and replicate the worst possible marathon start. I know I can run at MP and faster. What I thought might beneficial today, was to 'pretend' I was running in the masses at the start of the Paris Marathon. Then as the runners spread out, I could increase my speed up to MP.

I wanted one last confidence booster of knowing that if the first miles are slower than MP, then I shouldn't worry about this at all. Any seconds or minutes lost in the opening miles can be happily clawed back by the time I reach halfway, if not earlier!

Come Paris next weekend, I'd like to think after the first three miles, I'll be able to manage MP, but what I have taken from this run, is that even if it takes 6 miles before I can hit MP, there should be no problem making the time up and there should be no reason to worry that the sub 3:30 dream is already over!

The first few miles actually felt quite lethargic and it actually felt like a struggle to be running at MP+30, let alone MP. But as I increased my pace, everything started to feel much easier and by the time I finished, I was feeling relaxed and the pace felt comfortable. I expect Paris next weekend to go a similar way. As soon as I get over the feelings of lethargy early on, then the normal feelings of running comfortably and confidently will resume.

So with this last 'long' run finished, it means I now only have 4 more runs to do before Paris. It's all feeling rather real now!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/291170956

• Good run Ady, and a definite confidence booster!
  • Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Sunday 31st March 2013

9:00am - Breakfast - Fruit and Fibre w/ semi-skimmed milk, cup of tea

11:00am - Pint of squash, large handful of cherry tomatoes

12:00pm - 8.5 mile run (see earlier for description)

1:30pm - Glass of chocolate milk, yoghurt

3:30pm - Lunch - lamb, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, gravy, glass of traditional lemonade

4:00pm - Small piece of homemade strawberry and lemon Victoria sponge cake, pint of squash

5:30pm - Cup of tea, Clementine

8:30pm - Dinner - Packet of sushi, pint of squash

9:30pm - Pint of squash

• Week 15 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 31/03/13):

Day 99 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (25/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

Day 100 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (26/03/13)

Target: 2 MILE EASY THEN 3 X ACCEL STRIDES THEN 3 X 1 MILE FAST INTERVALS at 6.55-7.05 pace WITH 2.5 MIN JOG, 1 MILE EASY 6.5

Actual: 2 MILE EASY THEN 3 X ACCEL STRIDES THEN 3 X 1 MILE FAST INTERVALS at 6.55-7.05 pace WITH 2.5 MIN JOG, 1 MILE EASY

Total: 6.96 miles in 56:54 @ 8:11m/m

Interval Mile Splits: 1st @ 6:53m/m. 2nd @ 6:56m/m. 3rd @ 6:55m/m

Day 101 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (27/03/13)

Target: 5 MILE RUN – 1 COMFORTABLE 3 MP, 1 COMFORTABLE

Actual: 5.2 MILE RUN – 1 COMFORTABLE 3 MP, 1.2 COMFORTABLE

Total: 5.2 miles in 40:46 @ 7:51m/m

Interval Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:04m/m. 2nd @ 7:42m/m. 3rd @ 7:42m/m. 4th @ 7:45m/m. 5th @ 8:01m/m.

Day 102 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (28/03/13)

Target: rest or low impact cross training

Actual: 1hr sports massage

Day 103 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (29/03/13)

Target: 3 MILE JOG

Actual: 3.11 MILE JOG in 27:48 @ 8:56m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:58m/m. 2nd @ 9:03m/m. 3rd @ 8:53m/m.
    Day 104 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (30/03/13)

Target: Rest or Cross-Training

Actual: 14.5 miles in 48 mins on exercise bike on hills setting.

Day 105 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (31/03/13)

Target: 8.5 mile comfortable run @ 7:50-8:40m/m

Actual: 8.57 mile comfortable run in 1:09:38 @ 8:07m/m

Interval Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:31m/m. 2nd @ 8:24m/m. 3rd @ 8:24m/m. 4th @ 8:24m/m. 5th @ 8:10m/m. 6th mile @ 8:05m/m. 7th @ 7:45m/m. 8th @ 7:44m/m. Last 0.57 @ 7:20m/m.

Target: 23 miles

Actual: 23.84 miles

So this is what a real taper feels like then - the drop in miles doesn't actually feel as bad, as the intensity and quantity remain the same, just less distance on each run. It's nice to get the last biggish runs out of the way now and with a week to go, it's hard not to have your thoughts consumed with Paris and only Paris! I think on every run I go on now I'm visualizing and thinking about running in Paris. The last run of the week helped with knowing that I can deal with a slow start and lethargic feelings. Hopefully this time next week I'll have bettered my ambitions. If I don't, at least I know I've given it my best shot in training over the past 15 weeks to even be in a position of running for a sub 3:30. 

• Week 15 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 11: 152.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 12: 152.4lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 13: 151.8lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 14: 151.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 15: 150.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Total Loss: 12.4lbs

The weight loss has continued, but I think now, the chances of getting down to 148lbs before Paris is out of my reach. I could eat nothing but soup and drink a shed-full of carbonated water and make 148lbs before Paris and the start of carb-loading, but this will have more negative effects than positive.

Although I'm a little disappointed at not getting to my target weight (I still have a week to go - miracles do sometimes happen!), I think looking at the bigger picture, I shouldn't be too disheartened. I'm lost weight every week, and my diet is a million times better than what it was. I've realised that you don't have to cut out all the treats in order to lose weight, as long as the majority of meals and eating patterns are healthy.

I haven't been this weight for at least 6 years, if not longer. This can only be a good thing. I don't plan on stopping this either even after Paris is over! There's no way I ever want to be the weight I was at the start of this marathon training.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Four more runs to Paris eh? Where did all the time go?

Seems like only yesterday we were up in Birmingham for boot camp. Back then it was December and freezing cold outside but now, well...ok, it's still the same. But many things have changed. You've progressed massively with your running and training. You've already mentioned nutrition and of course you've lost nearly a stone in weight. A STONE! Don't beat yourself up over a couple of pounds for heaven's sake.

Tell you what, why don't you do your final weigh in immediately after you crucify your PB in Paris. That should see you nicely below your weight target. image

Try and relax over the next few days. You seem quite good with the mental side so I have no doubt you will manage to keep the taper madness at bay.

Really well done once again!

• How are you feeling with less than a week to go? I just want to get out there now! Looks like the temperature should be just about perfect so staying hydrated shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a bit cold waiting around in the morning though!

Have you got much going on this week or will you be able to relax and put your feet up? I've got two more night shifts to do and then from 6am Wednesday I'm free to relax!

Well done on the weight loss!
  • Hi Ady

Just had a mega catch-up on your thread - 4 runs to go! Eeek! I think you are in a fantastic position now for the race. Be ruthless in staying away from people with colds and sniffles - I would use that hand sanitiser stuff at regular intervals, especially after going on public transport.

We'll have a chat on the phone this week regarding pacing - let me know when's a good time. 

I did just about recover in time from Hastings Half for the Sussex Road Relays but mainly by only running once in between the two races and having a calf massage straight after the Relays which has left my lower legs feeling like new! I guess I'm officially in my taper for London now, too, but I haven't really trained for it in the way I would for a marathon I was running at my own pace (I am pacing the 4 hrs 30 group just in case people don't know). So it's been a bit erratic - some very slow long runs with my Rye Runners, but track at my own pace and a few races at my own pace - including the Grizzly at 20 miles and Hastings Half. Think I'll be on target but was thinking yesterday that if I screw up at least I know  I can run faster than my irate group to escape them image Only joking!

Recovery wise, post race - the most important things are refuelling and rest. I would be putting on compression tights shortly after the race - having a big chocolate milk and a sandwich withs oe protein in it - and then when i get home/hotel I would run the cold shower hose over any sore areas for a few minutes. I wouldn't take ibuprofen straight away - best to allow body to do its thing for 48 hours - but I would probably take some arnica pills. I dont know if it's just a placebo but they are meant to be anti inflammatory and I often use them after tough long races. No running for a week at all. Easy cross training (ideally swimming) on day 3 onwards if have some energy. And then eyeing up the next goalimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Which start area are you on Sam? I'm sure you'll have your pacing down to the nearest second so no fear of being lynched image

I think it's been fantastic how yourself, Ruth, Sarah and Steve have been so helpful to all the runners on the Asics threads. You haven't restricted yourselves just to the competition guys and that has made it feel like we are all part of the process. 

So many thanks indeed to you all!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ha image Yes, furry balls are doing their job nicely thanks!

I think it beats my own record count for 20 milers too. Only ever done 3 before. On top of that only one niggle which for me is the biggest thing.

8.5 miles must feel like a walk in the park for you now. Glad to hear that you're not being fooled by the initial few miles lethargy. Yet another one of the mind tricks we are treated to in the taper! 

So, LESS THAN A WEEK TO GO. Wow! A few jogs and a 5 miler is all you have left. Fantastic stuff. I genuinely can't wait to see how much you smash it by.

You've played a great campaign so far. Don't let the taper madness get to you and enjoy the low mileage week ahead of the big one.

Remind me, is it Thursday or Friday you travel out there?

Hey Malcs.....four 20 milers and only one tiny, little niggle......you must be secretly very confident of smashing your current PB. I'm a little superstitious when talk comes to beating my target.....I think saying you're going to beat your target will only tempt fate and lead to a bigger fall.......so I'm going to keep quiet on how I think I'll do in regard to sub 3:30. I'm sure I'll beat my current PB taking in to account how training has gone, but whether it'll be more than 15 minutes beter (in order to go sub 3:30), we will have to wait and see! image

We travel out on Friday. That reminds me that I need to re-check what time exactly we're leaving. I think the plan is to go to the Expo as soon as we arrive and that means there will be more time for rest and relaxation on the Sunday.

Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Woop only a week to go! Exciting!!

Very, very exciting. I think the nervous energy will start kicking in soon as well! 3 runs to go! image

• sarah osborne wrote (see)

Hi Ady, I think I might swap rooms so I share with my mum, and chris and my dad share the other room...not sure how to tell them yet though! Everyone says that the speed sessions and LSR all come together on the day. Everything seems to be going to plan at the moment, so I have every confidence that its going to work.

Hey Sarah........haha....I think he'll never make the same mistake again then! I'd just until checking in at the hotel to break it to him! Do you have any other family or friends coming down for the marathon? What are your plans afterwards? Are you going to stay around the Trafalgar Square area and have a few drinks? That's normally been my plan of action afterwards - not that I manage to drink that much!

Really happy to hear everything is going to plan. Hope you've had a good Easter break and managed to say away from the chocolate! My last run of anything resembling 'speed' is tomorrow, then 2 easy jogs and then race day I hope taper time is treaitng you well!

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Hi Ady, sorry for not posting for a while as been a bit manic at work, but have been watching on garmin and lurking...

Really impressed at the programme you've done, and sure that all the hard work and miles will pay off with a marathon to remember this weekend. It was good to hear that lethargy initially is a taper related thing, as I felt that last time and was a bit twitched about it.

Finally managed to work out what was happening with my heart rate monitor- when uploading after a run I was getting periods when my heart rate was going up to 210-220 beats/minute. This was associated with no symptoms so I wasn't too worried but there was a niggle at the back of my mind this was something serious. However Google to the rescue- when it is very cold the contacts don't read too well as you don't sweaat, and also they are very susceptible to static. It all made sense- I bought a new long sleeved top (from an Asics cometitor brand image) and thats when it all started. Hopefully not going to peg over in the middle of my next LSR image

Enjoy this week, and savour the run at the weekend- looking for a massive time! Just think of the cakes at the end!!image

Hey Clive.....great to hear from you. No worries with not posting!I see your name popping up on Garmin regularly, so I know you're still managing to get out, which is always good news!

I felt a little lethargic on todays 3 mile jog as well, but I definitely think it has a lot more to do with the mind than the legs. I want to get out on Saturday in Paris for a run and a few acceleration strides, and this should help banish any chances of the same feelings on race day.

I'm been extremely happy with my training schedule and it obviously has worked excellently to get me in the position I am now. At the start I was a little worried with all the comments regarding low mileage, but I haven't had any complaints, especially coming from a lower mileage base to start with.

That's very good to know regarding the high readings from the heart rate monitor. I've never actually worn mine, but always say I'll give it a try. I was going to wear it duing this marathon training, but left it too late and then decided not to try and do things differently. It must be nice to realise what the actual issues is rather than questioning your own ticker!

I'm already thinking of those cakes thanks! That'll be part of my mantra in the last few miles! image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Four more runs to Paris eh? Where did all the time go?

Seems like only yesterday we were up in Birmingham for boot camp. Back then it was December and freezing cold outside but now, well...ok, it's still the same. But many things have changed. You've progressed massively with your running and training. You've already mentioned nutrition and of course you've lost nearly a stone in weight. A STONE! Don't beat yourself up over a couple of pounds for heaven's sake.

Tell you what, why don't you do your final weigh in immediately after you crucify your PB in Paris. That should see you nicely below your weight target. image

Try and relax over the next few days. You seem quite good with the mental side so I have no doubt you will manage to keep the taper madness at bay.

Really well done once again!

Thanks Malcs.....I know.....it's flown by! 3 more runs now I've got todays little 3 mile jog out of the way!

I know I shouldn't beat myself up about not losing 2lbs.....I think this shows the importance of setting gold, silver and bronze targets....I just had a gold target for my weight loss, so I think that's why I'm a little disappointed. Not to worry though, it doesn't have to stop just because this training has stopped! Haha...I know for sure if I weighed myself immediately after the marathon, I'd be smashed my target.....but if I waited until Monday morning, it might be depressing reading if I take full advantage of the buffet breakfast like I'm planning on doing! image

I'll try my best to relax.....but I'm finding thr closer the race gets, the more my thoughts are about Paris. Do you get nervous before your marathons? Whats your taper looking like?

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    How are you feeling with less than a week to go? I just want to get out there now! Looks like the temperature should be just about perfect so staying hydrated shouldn't be an issue. Maybe a bit cold waiting around in the morning though!

Have you got much going on this week or will you be able to relax and put your feet up? I've got two more night shifts to do and then from 6am Wednesday I'm free to relax!

Well done on the weight loss!

Hey Paulo.....good to hear from you. How's the calf doing now? Are you back to running normally now? I'm feeling pretty good at the moment. I'm managing to control my nerves, but I think these will increase come race day. At least they should be good nerves. In the past the nerves have been because I know I haven't done enough. This is the first time I've really followed a training plan completely and I must say this has taken away a lot of the nerves I would normally get.

I've thought about the cold on race day.......running wise, it should be perfect, but it might me a tad nippy at the start. I'm going to pack a couple of bin-liners for the start just in case.

I have 3 runs left this week - 5 miles (including 3 @ MP) tomorrow, 3 mile jog on Thursday, 20 mins jog and some acceleration strides on Saturday morning. So I'm hoping it won't feel too much different to normal - still more time for rest though! What's your taper looking like? What will you do running wise once Wenesday comes? Are you planning on running the day before the marathon to loosen the legs up? The only time I've ran the day before a marathon before was when I got my last PB...hopefully this is a good sign!

Whereabouts are you staying in Paris? If you're in the Montmatre area and fancy a 20 minute jog on Saturday let me know!  We are heading there on Friday and will go to the expo on the Friday, which should give us more time to relax on the Saturday.

Good luck with your taper and if I don't see you over-taking me in Paris, I really hope you manage to nail your sub 3:30! All the best mate!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Just had a mega catch-up on your thread - 4 runs to go! Eeek! I think you are in a fantastic position now for the race. Be ruthless in staying away from people with colds and sniffles - I would use that hand sanitiser stuff at regular intervals, especially after going on public transport.

We'll have a chat on the phone this week regarding pacing - let me know when's a good time. 

I did just about recover in time from Hastings Half for the Sussex Road Relays but mainly by only running once in between the two races and having a calf massage straight after the Relays which has left my lower legs feeling like new! I guess I'm officially in my taper for London now, too, but I haven't really trained for it in the way I would for a marathon I was running at my own pace (I am pacing the 4 hrs 30 group just in case people don't know). So it's been a bit erratic - some very slow long runs with my Rye Runners, but track at my own pace and a few races at my own pace - including the Grizzly at 20 miles and Hastings Half. Think I'll be on target but was thinking yesterday that if I screw up at least I know  I can run faster than my irate group to escape them image Only joking!

Recovery wise, post race - the most important things are refuelling and rest. I would be putting on compression tights shortly after the race - having a big chocolate milk and a sandwich withs oe protein in it - and then when i get home/hotel I would run the cold shower hose over any sore areas for a few minutes. I wouldn't take ibuprofen straight away - best to allow body to do its thing for 48 hours - but I would probably take some arnica pills. I dont know if it's just a placebo but they are meant to be anti inflammatory and I often use them after tough long races. No running for a week at all. Easy cross training (ideally swimming) on day 3 onwards if have some energy. And then eyeing up the next goalimage

Hey Sam! I will definitely try my best to stay away from people with the sniffles...........I think this is the best excuse yet to use during work this week for not going to any meetings! They have the hand sanitiser stuff at work on every floor, so I have an abundant supply to use!

Oooooooh......the pacing phonecall..........I think I'm more nervous for this than I am the marathon itself. I hope we have the same time in mind. Evenings are best for me, but if they're not good for you, then I'll work to your schedule.

Sounds like you've done very well with the recent races. I hope you still manage to get a run in this coming weekend as part of your London taper. If you feel the need to run with me for the last 12-15 miles, you're more than welcome too! image

Thanks for the info regarding refuelling and recovery afterwards. The cold shower on the legs sounds a lot easier to do than an ice bath. I've never really 'recovered' after a race before......as soon as I cross the finish line, that's the last thing I do for several weeks - no stretching, no running, no proper eating......I want to change that this time around.

I look forward to speaking later this week. See you on Friday! (I was thinking you were coming to Paris, but now I'm not so sure if you wanted to talk about pacing during the week?) image

• Malcs wrote (see)

Which start area are you on Sam? I'm sure you'll have your pacing down to the nearest second so no fear of being lynched image

I think it's been fantastic how yourself, Ruth, Sarah and Steve have been so helpful to all the runners on the Asics threads. You haven't restricted yourselves just to the competition guys and that has made it feel like we are all part of the process. 

So many thanks indeed to you all!

I completley agree...Thankyou

Thankyou Sam for the post marathon tips. Last year I ran three days after london and did a 25K race 2 weeks afterwards. About a month later I felt so exhausted with no enthusiasm to run!

• Hi Ady. There is about 20 of us going down to london from the running club that I am in, but only 4 of us running so it should be quite a nice weekend. Last year I was at the start on my own but this year im luckily with two others which will be much nicer. We go down on the fri and then come back sunday after the race so I wont get any time to celebrate in trafalgar square!

I cant believe that you only have a speed session and then 2 easy runs to go and then thats it....im getting so excited for you. Cant wait to see how you get on. Its such a shame that the marathon isnt on TV like London is so I can watch it and look out for you guys.

I was glad of an easy 3 miles today...my legs were quite tired, but afterwards they have felt much better. So far so good with the taper!

I didnt have any eggs bought me this year image, although im not a big fan of chocolate so I normally get something else (like jelly babies or a teddy). My only downfall this weekend was the cocktails I had in liverpool on saturday night...but im being good now from now until after VLM!