The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Hi Shady Ady!!!

Best of luck for Paris on Sunday.... I will be doing my first 20 miler on Sunday, so shall be thinking of all of you.  I would like to say thanks to you for the help and encouragement youv'e given to me.  AND you've helped me to realise that my dream of taking an hour off my marathon time isn't as unachievable as I thought, but its a process that requires dedicated and consistent training.

I echo the others in saying thanks to SamMurphyRuns, Sarah Physio, Ruth Nutritionist and Steve Marathon Coach in giving us all, and me personally advice that is really helping me through my Spring marathon campaign.  I've done 2 marathons before, and both completely on my own.  Having this forum has really kept me motivated, and other than in the last week or so, I've only missed a run through illness or injury/prevention, which is how it should be.  April is going to be a high mileage month for me, so I hope some of you stick around to give me some motivation when everyone else is done with Paris and tapering for London!!! image

GOOD LUCK!!! You;re gonna get GOLD image

Hey Angela. Thanks very much. I hope your 20 miler goes well. Unless you are running first thing in the morning, then we might be finishing around the same time!

I really don't think you should ever be intimidated by getting the Boston qualifying time. It's definitely achievable. If I can be in with a shot of going under 3:30, then anyone can. I never thought I'd be able to run this quickly, but it's definitely a combination of eating better (and drinking less!), motivation and a varied running schedule that has got me to a position I'm in now. You can definitely do the same, especially as your times and very similar to the times I first ran at.

I'll definitely stick around on the forums.......I'm not sure my marriage would survive spending every evening writing so much for much longer after Paris, but I'll definitely be posting from time to time! image And I'll definitely be following your progress to Boston in 2016. It'll be great to see your continous improvements!

All the best for your weekend 20 miler!

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    The calf is ok thanks Ady. I'm still getting twinges from it but I think that's largely in my head! I've not done any speed work or intervals since the injury as it feels more uncomfortable as I speed up. I decided I was best off just getting the miles in which has meant I should be on the start line, hooray! But not feeling quite as fit and sharp as I would like, boo!

Still keeping an eye on the forecast and its looking good! I've read some where that a poncho is included in the runners pack that we will pick up at the expo. Still probably a good idea to take some bin bags just in case though.

My final taper week has been a emotional roller coaster! We had an appointment for tuesday for a 12 week pregnancy scan so was full of joy and excitement on the Monday until we had a bit of a scare and had to make a trip to the emergency walk in centre in the evening to be told everything is "probably ok". We then had another anxious 24hr wait before the scan. I'm pleased to say everything is fine and IM GOING TO BE A DAD! Not the most relaxing week so far in the build up to the marathon! my taper this week consists of a two mile jog on Monday, a 5 mile run later today, sports massage on Thursday and a final two mile jog on Friday!

We are staying here.....http://travel.eurostar.com/hotels/detail/177667?DatelessSearch=1&RoomOccupancy=1,0,0&dist=0&for_city=true&s=0&waiting=true. Where are you staying? Unfortunately to keep costs down we don't travel out until the Saturday morning and then straight to the expo so I won't be able to join you for a jog. It certainly sounds good that the last time you did a run the day before was when you set your PB. Fingers crossed you make that a habit!

My goals for Sunday are, gold-sub 3:30, silver-sub 3:40 and bronze-beat my only previous marathon time of 3:46:48.

Best of luck.

Paulo.........first of all congratulations on your impending passage into parenthood.......it's very weird.........we seem to have so much in common........we're both going for the same time goal, we both had injuries at the same time, we both have demons in our heads regarding phantom niggles.........and we both managed to 'knock' our other halves up at almost exactly the same time. Actually that's a horrible way of putting it - we have noth managed to partkae in creating one of natures greatest creations!

I had my 12 week scan last week as well. It'll be my first as well, so I'm going through stages of being super excited and then filled with dread that any free cash and time will no longer be mine in 6 months time! It's be a great new step..........I'm happy to hear everything is okay after your scare. I hope you don't have any more scares and the rest of the pregnancy goes well. Hopefully this little piece of news will push you to your 3:30 goal.

Maybe I'll see you on Sunday......we will be wearing t-shirts with our names plastered over them, so it should be easy to pick us out! If I don't, all the best mate, and I hope it's gold for you too!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - how are the nerves/worries/excitement today? I don't think I'm going to last until my race, I feel like I'm on my 4 day countdown with you! I wonder if I'll get the post marathon blues on Monday as well?

Are you a last minute packer or are you a list freak and have everything laid out days in advance? 

Hey Malcs........the nerves are fine today.......none at all........I think that has more to do with a 12 hour shift from hell today.........so many problems and things going wrong, that I haven't had time to think about Paris at all! I have a funny feeling tomorrow will be the same....I might even have to raise my voice and write emails that don't contain smiley faces. tough times!

I'm actually a very methodical packer.........I'll probably lie everything out that I'll be taking tomorrow evening and then pack this inti my suitcase the following morning - so I have look over my things twice - hopefuly cutting out any chance of forgetting something. I don't write lists.....I just mentally imagine getting ready on the day and make sure everything I imagine, I have packed........I actually think a list would be easier!

I don't think the post marathon blues will properly kick in until the middle of next week at the earliest.......which will just be in time to have them banished when following your last week and marathon run. It'll be fun to see how everyone else does as quite a lot of people have marathons in the two or three weeks after Paris. 

Once this is over it's going to be hard to adjust too!

Right I'm off for an early night ready for my 7am start at work........Mrs. Shady Ady is off work with a stomach virus..........so I've been forced to build a duver wall between us in bed to cut the chances of catching this. Hang on......my throat is feeling sore.........my body is aching................happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts! This is all in the mind! image

• Congratulations to you to! Our due date is 10th of October which has put an end to any ideas of getting a charity place for Berlin! Maybe next year! It's very weird how similar our experiences are at the moment. It's like your living my life 35 miles away!

I will keep an eye out for you on Sunday. I'll be wearing a blue top supplied by my work with their logo on it in exchange for some sponsorship and a team GB sweatband just incase some one speaks to me me in French I can just point at the GB flag! I've been practicing my french though.......parlez-vous anglais?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Whoa the thread is expecting twins! Well two babies at more or less the same time anyway. Actually I forgot about Ruth too - so it's really triplets!

As this is Ruth's 4th it looks like you may need her for more than just nutrition advice image

Anyway, congratulations Ady, that's fantastic news. 

Great to hear that you're not feeling the nerves. I suppose it's some consolation that any troubles at work are at least providing a distraction from the events at the weekend.

If Mrs Shady is ill then I'm afraid she'll have to go. You really can't take any risks at this late stage. Ok so she's carrying your child and she's probably feeling pretty rotten from the illness too but I'm sure she wouldn't mind moving into the local Travelodge for a few days? ....No? 

• Congratulations to you and Mrs Shady, im so happy for you. Congrats to Paulo too. Im going to have to get off this thread soon....feels like something I dont want to catch just yet is spreading!!!!

I cant believe that you only have 3 days to go....im nervous for you!

I think like you, I would struggle to watch a marathon now...I would be itching to join in, whereas for chris it would be his worse nightmare having to run a marathon!

Good luck on Sunday
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Ady - just dropping in to say good luck for Sunday. You have trained really well and couldn't have prepared much better. I'm sure you will give sub 3:30 your best shot.

You have many exciting months ahead of you (and Mrs Ady) so enjoy every minute of this weekend.

Look forward to catching up after and hope to meet up again for some races.

• Wow!!!! image Super congratulations on the imminent Mini Ady!!!  Just think, all that weight you've lost, your wife will now have to carry.... image hmm, maybe not such a nice thought!

Have a great time in Paris, and congratulations.

Congrats to Paulo83 too.  I can't think of better news than the creation of life image

Good luck in Paris guys!

• Ady, massive congratulations on the baby news! I have to say, being a father is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my son means more to me than anything.

You will make a great dad and what a great way to celebrate the news by being able to go to Paris and run a fantastic time!

Paulo83, massive congratulations to you too image

• Ady, Congratulations- really pleased for you!! It is a wonderful part of life that you are entering and enjoy it.

All the very best of luck for Sunday, as DS said, you have trained really well,and sure the result will follow naturally on sunday.

Paulo, congratulations to you too, and good luck for Paris too image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Shady Daddy ! Excellent news.  Although it wasn't part of your training program image.  All the best to Mrs Ady.

Paulo, congratulations.

Imagine smashing your PBs, multiply the joy by 1000000 and you still don't come close to the sensation of being a parent.  imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Many congrats Ady and Paulo on the baby news!image

Ady- go and smash it. All the best of luck!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Sorry, is this the sub 3:30 thread or the fertility thread...? image  Congratulations to all involved. image

Just wanted to drop in and wish Ady the very best of luck for the weekend. I've lurked and not had time to post much but I have seen you have an excellent thread going Ady and you have been a star pupil for Sam, Ruth et al.   I really hope you smash your target, which I'm sure you will.

Good luck.

• Haha yes it does seen to have become a fertility thread! I guess we both had the same idea when it came to cross trainingimage
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

and you you think this helped your speed or was it more endurance based.....? image

• Minni wrote (see)

and you you think this helped your speed or was it more endurance based.....? image

Definitely speed.........2 weeks and the cross-training part of marathon training was already finished! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hey what's this? The thread descends into smutt and inuendo and nobody thought to give me a call? 

Ady - Not for the first time in this campaign you've left me with a mental image that I really didn't want to have - thanks for that image

What time do you leave tomorrow btw.?

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Congratulations to you to! Our due date is 10th of October which has put an end to any ideas of getting a charity place for Berlin! Maybe next year! It's very weird how similar our experiences are at the moment. It's like your living my life 35 miles away!

I will keep an eye out for you on Sunday. I'll be wearing a blue top supplied by my work with their logo on it in exchange for some sponsorship and a team GB sweatband just incase some one speaks to me me in French I can just point at the GB flag! I've been practicing my french though.......parlez-vous anglais?

Haha....this is exactly the same reason an autumn marathon is a no go for me as well. Mrs. Shady Ady has given me permission to run a marathon if I wanted to. I was thinking about doing Bournemouth Marathon originally.........but I think I should play the part of the doting father and husband and put wife and family first. Running will get its chance again!

You never know, we could end up going in to hospital at the same time as well! Mrs. Shady Ady  is expecting ours on 2nd October, so very close to yours. I'm hoping to put off the purchasing of baby related paraphenalia until late Summer at the earliest.....have you seen how much a pushchair costs. image

Normally I learn the basics when going to a foreign country when visiting, but I just haven't had time to learn much French. I do have a phrase book though, so if I do need to use it, I'm hoping my pathetic attempts will create pity rather than annoyance!

I'm sure I'll wish it you again beforehand, but good luck on Sunday. Are you planning on using the pacers? I think I'm just going to run my own race at my pace, and if the 3:30 pacers pass me, then I know I'm in trouble!

Malcs wrote (see)

Whoa the thread is expecting twins! Well two babies at more or less the same time anyway. Actually I forgot about Ruth too - so it's really triplets!

As this is Ruth's 4th it looks like you may need her for more than just nutrition advice image

Anyway, congratulations Ady, that's fantastic news. 

Great to hear that you're not feeling the nerves. I suppose it's some consolation that any troubles at work are at least providing a distraction from the events at the weekend.

If Mrs Shady is ill then I'm afraid she'll have to go. You really can't take any risks at this late stage. Ok so she's carrying your child and she's probably feeling pretty rotten from the illness too but I'm sure she wouldn't mind moving into the local Travelodge for a few days? ....No? 

Thanks Malcs......I did mention the fact that it might hinder my chances of running to my potential if she accidentally gave me her virus........I don't know if this threat scared the virus out of her, but she's feeling much better today luckily....hopefully I've dodged that potential bullet. image

• hahaha, reading todays comments has made my day.

Good luck again for sunday, hope you have a safe journey to paris and you enjoy every minute of your well deserved weekend
  • sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Congratulations to you and Mrs Shady, im so happy for you. Congrats to Paulo too. Im going to have to get off this thread soon....feels like something I dont want to catch just yet is spreading!!!!

I cant believe that you only have 3 days to go....im nervous for you!

I think like you, I would struggle to watch a marathon now...I would be itching to join in, whereas for chris it would be his worse nightmare having to run a marathon!

Good luck on Sunday

Yes......I'd be wary in case there's some misplaced fertility deity lurking on this forum.....that can be the only answer........to be honest, my wife has wanted a baby for years, and I've held back, wanting to do more travelling and running before I felt I could commit 100%. Even when I was ready to commit 100% and start trying, I thought I was being clever.....I'd read an article that long distance runners find it hard to conceive a baby.....I thought  because of my marathon training it would take months for my wife to conceive - she'd be happy because we were trying for a baby and I was safe in the knowledge that I still had many, many months of sleepful nights ahead of me until I stopped my training. I learnt the hard way that nature doesn't follow rules like this! 

Scary as it seems sometimes, I'm also very excited!

I think the nerves will start to surface tomorrow when we make the journey to Paris!

DS2 wrote (see)

Hi Ady - just dropping in to say good luck for Sunday. You have trained really well and couldn't have prepared much better. I'm sure you will give sub 3:30 your best shot.

You have many exciting months ahead of you (and Mrs Ady) so enjoy every minute of this weekend.

Look forward to catching up after and hope to meet up again for some races.

Hey DS2.........thanks very much. If a marathon was only 20 miles, I'd be extremely confident in bettering my goal time......but it's that unknown last 6 miles that still leaves me uncertain. At least like you say, I've tried to hit my targets in every session I've done. The pyschiatrist said to think of someone who has inspired you for each of the last 6 miles........I'm going to think of the 6 times in my life when I've been most angry........I run quicker when I'm angry......I just need to get angry! image

If I have the equivalent of somebody shouting' Gatorade' like off the movie The Waterboy to get me angry, then I shouldn't have an issue!

I'm sure we will meet up again in the near future at a race. It would be rude not to!

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Wow!!!! image Super congratulations on the imminent Mini Ady!!!  Just think, all that weight you've lost, your wife will now have to carry.... image hmm, maybe not such a nice thought!

Have a great time in Paris, and congratulations.

Congrats to Paulo83 too.  I can't think of better news than the creation of life image

Good luck in Paris guys!

Haha...thanks for that....I think if I made that comment to Mrs. Shady Ady about carrying my extra weight, I'd be needing at least two bags of frozen pees to nurse a delicate injury....and it wouldn't be for my knee (apologies Malcs if that's created another image you can't get out of your head!).

Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

Ady, massive congratulations on the baby news! I have to say, being a father is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my son means more to me than anything.

You will make a great dad and what a great way to celebrate the news by being able to go to Paris and run a fantastic time!

Paulo83, massive congratulations to you too image

Thanks Steve.........seeing how you are with your son, especially at Dorney Lake, and hearing how excited he was when he knew you were coming past and finishing (not that I was quick enough to find this out for myself - Mrs. Shady was telling me!) really struck home how exciting having a child can be. As long as they are polite and well-mannered like your boy, I know I've (sorry, 'we've' - just in case Mrs. Shady is reading!) done!

See you tomorrow!

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Ady, Congratulations- really pleased for you!! It is a wonderful part of life that you are entering and enjoy it.

All the very best of luck for Sunday, as DS said, you have trained really well,and sure the result will follow naturally on sunday.

Paulo, congratulations to you too, and good luck for Paris too image

Thanks Clive. I keep looking at the weather for Sunday......it's looking more or less perfect at the moment.....cold, sunny with a little breeze. Overcast would have been better, but I'm not going to complain!

PC91 wrote (see)

Shady Daddy ! Excellent news.  Although it wasn't part of your training program image.  All the best to Mrs Ady.

Paulo, congratulations.

Imagine smashing your PBs, multiply the joy by 1000000 and you still don't come close to the sensation of being a parent.  imageimageimageimageimageimage

PC91.....you paint a rather glossy picture of parenthood....I like it! Anyway, focus is back on Sunday...............I'm hoping there's room to in my suitcase for my foam roller, for a little session Saturday night.

• Brolish wrote (see)

Many congrats Ady and Paulo on the baby news!image

Ady- go and smash it. All the best of luck!

Thanks Brolish........thanks for all of your comments throughout the last 16 weeks.....you've passed on a lot of support and good advice and it's been very much appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to put all the wise words of wisdom learnt to good use.

Minni wrote (see)

Sorry, is this the sub 3:30 thread or the fertility thread...? image  Congratulations to all involved. image

Just wanted to drop in and wish Ady the very best of luck for the weekend. I've lurked and not had time to post much but I have seen you have an excellent thread going Ady and you have been a star pupil for Sam, Ruth et al.   I really hope you smash your target, which I'm sure you will.

Good luck. 

Thanks Minni....I'd see it as a huge disapointment if I don't beat my goal, especially after all the hard work, faith and commitment others have put in. I still feel like I need to prove that I deserved this place and opportunity.....I prefer feeling like this.........as it helps keep me committed and focused right to the very last.

It's a good job this competition wasn't for an Autumn marathon, with the new October arrivals.......I could see this Forum descending in to a Mothercare and infant free for all!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Hey what's this? The thread descends into smutt and inuendo and nobody thought to give me a call? 

Ady - Not for the first time in this campaign you've left me with a mental image that I really didn't want to have - thanks for that image

What time do you leave tomorrow btw.?

Apologies for the mental images. I wouldn't knowingly wish these on anyone.

We leave early tomorrow afternoon and then head straight to the expo to pick our numbers up. So it should be a busy day. It looks like we will have obligations Saturday morning and then a free Saturday afternoon to do our own thing before the marathon.

When I've done marathons abroad before, I've normally ended up walking numerous miles on the Saturday sightseeing and feel shattered by the evening......so I think I'll be taking it easy this coming Saturday afternoon.

I read an article by a professional cyclist who said if he can choose between standing and sitting before a race, he chooses sitting. And if he can choose between sitting and lying, he chooses lying.......so following this philosophy I'll be spending my Saturday afternoon napping!

sarah osborne wrote (see)
    hahaha, reading todays comments has made my day.

Good luck again for sunday, hope you have a safe journey to paris and you enjoy every minute of your well deserved weekend

Thanks Sarah......I hope you're enjoying your taper too! I need to start packing soon.....I hate leaving it too the last minute!

• Day 108 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (03/04/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

Day 109 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (04/04/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

It's been two days of no running activities at all. Yesterday was a scheduled rest day, but I was unable to do today's run, due to work commitments. Normally I'd be angry and annoyed that work has taken over my life, but this time around with no serious runs to do, it has helped take my mind away from Paris.

Today's three mile jog I want to do tomorrow morning before breakfast as a last leg stretch before travelling to Paris. Luckily after my sports massage last week, my knee has been almost perfect since. If I can fit my foam roller in to my luggage I'd be very happy as I feel using it every evening has made a huge difference in my tight hip flexors and the levels of discomfort I have during and after runs.

So this is it............as I have a bit more time on my hands at the moment, I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted or read this forum over the past 16 weeks. Your support, expertise, opinions and wise words of wisdom have been influential and invaluable to me. Irrelevant of my time on Sunday, it's one of the biggest positives I'll take from this experience. Thanks very much.

Over the past 16 weeks, I've managed to lose about 13lbs and have gained new 5km, 10 mile, half-marathon and 20 mile PBs. But all of this will be forgotten if I don't do myself justice on Sunday.......and this is exactly what I plan to do!

Thanks again everybody........I apologise if I don't have the chance to update properly over the next few days..........I'll catch up as soon as I can, hopefully with good news! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Ady - I think you have the right plan for Saturday afternoon. I think I would do the same given half a chance.

So if you're off tomorrow I guess this is it then. What can I say? It's been a pleasure following your thread these past few months. You've done so well with every aspect of the training and despite being very busy you've still managed to keep us all informed on your progress.

I really look forward to hearing how you get on. I know you can do it. Go out there and take Paris to the cleaners!
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Ady - good luck for Sunday! I hope you have a great day.image

• Ady, Good luck for Sunday, hope the weather is fine, enjoy the run, I'm sure you will do well.

and many congrats on your baby news, I'm going to be a grandad for the 3rd time about then, so I'll have to keep running to keep up with our baby.

Hope Mrs Ady is keeping well,

cheers, Allan

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi Malcs

I presume that Shady has left you in charge of his thread. It's strange they'll be here in Paris. I've already been to the Expo and I'll be eating with the Paris 2013 lot on Saturday so I'll only have chance to bump into the famous 5 on Sunday, amongst the 40000 other runners !!!  I'll be in the 4h pen, I think Mel will be in the 4h15 and the others several pens in front.  Even Steve will be hidden in the 250000 crowd.

Are you involved in a thread for your marathon ? Following the 5 and the Paris 2013 has been a great experience for me and it makes me feel part of something special instead of being a runner lost in the crowd.  However the taper madness is extremely contagious and the group effect multiplies the madness to higher levels.

I'll be eaves dropping on your conversation for the next two weeks (?).  I don't want to make you paranoid but, sincerely stay healthy.  I'm sure I'm one of several who is expecting a race report.

As you said to Steve, it will interesting to follow his progression, perhaps there could be a group one ?  I went back through Steve's thread to re read Ruth's carb loading advice and I saw your recommendation, the Milk Tray would kill me. pmsl everytime.

Probably the threads will be buzzing tomorrow as everyone will be relaxing in their rooms.

All the best

• Good luck Ady! Looking foward to the report image