The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sam - really appreciate the effort you've made to help everyone who has posted here. For yourself that's another very satisfied customer. Another feather in your cap. And with Mel and Steve doing so well (regardless of his incredibly unfortunate injury) you've got every right to be very pleased. 

Thanks for the mention btw. I've really enjoyed following Ady's progress. I've had alot of fun and learned a heck of alot along the way. 

As you say, not all of us are done yet and I'm one of them so I shall get back to my taper madness now. I think I feel another random, unexplained but race threatening pain coming on...

• Malcs wrote (see)

Your end of race sounds pretty much like the end of all of mine (minus the nausea - or did you have that too?) You mentioned fluid intake, was it quite a bit warmer then? I know the sun was out so that probably made a big difference. 

How did you pace it? Do you have your splits?

I think you did amazingly well. I would bite your hand off for that time. You've all done so well. I am really nervous about mine now!

I have to say on the day itself I felt like I was running it with you all. Had a real nervous excitement all day. And today I've had the freakin' post marathon blues! For crying out loud, what's going on here? 

Ahhhhhhhhh.....those post marathon blues.........they've set in quickly today. It's amazing how going back to work can bring the harsh reality home that the dream is over! Well for me anyway............it should be a good 2 weeks before yours set in! And I'm sure you will be mightily surprised by the time you run considering the amount of training you've put in (and the 20 number of 20 milers!).

It wasn't that warm on race day - only about 10 degrees, but with constant blue skies and sun, it sure felt hotter than this. I was also wary of not losing too much time at the water stations as they were crowded at times and people were walking. I was also aware that I'd kept myself well hydrated the previous day so there wasn't the need for constant drinking at every stop. 

As for the splits, I'll be posting those shortly, along with the final report and details of how I'm expecting to lose several toe nails in the next few days! Maybe I should leave this on the cutting room floor with the lycra photos!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Did you find that your water consumption grew throughout the race...I remember starting VLM last year and have sips for the first half, but come the second half and especially the last 4 miles I just couldn't quench my thirst (although I was restricting myself still through fear of hyponatraemia).

Were your legs ok after the stop at 10 miles?

Last year I decided that I would stop at mile 10 to go to the toilet, however when I got there I didnt need to go...I was worried after that that I would need to go later and my legs would seize up, but luckily it never happended. Dont think I went for at least another 4 hours after the race!

Hey Sarah.......the water consumption did grow slightly, but only by a couple of mouthfuls. I don't think I ever had more than five mouthfuls at any one water station, and I think this was almost perfect. 

My legs were fine after the toilet break.......I only really started to feel any tiredness around 18 miles. I can't say the same today though - my big toe nails are heavily bruised and I struggled to fit them in to my shoes for work today. Walking was even harder. If it wasn't for this, I don't think I'd be hobbling anywhere near as much!

I struggled to go the toilet afterwards, apart from vomitting and putting one of the VIP toilets out of action! When I did, I swear I was passing Brandy! Maybe I did need to drink more!

Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Well done Ady! So pleased you managed to beat your target! Was good to meet you at the finish! I've just got home having spent the day walking around Paris like a cat with smarties tubes on all four legs! The course was far more congested than I expected and the water stops were mayhem. I enjoyed it but it does make you appreciate how well organised London is.

Thanks Paulo. When I saw you, I really didn't think I'd gone under 3:30. A cat with with smartie tubes sounds better than I was walking! I agree with you regarding London - I'm going to enter the ballet as soon as it opens this year......I left it until the evening of the first day it opened last year and it was already full!

• Racing Jules wrote (see)

Fabulous Ady!  You must be thrilled and I hope you feel better today.

I am starting to walk a bit more normally today so things returning to normal.

As for the next challenge - yes, it's planned!  Nice/Cannes in November.

Hope you'll keep in touch - it was great to see you both in the pen at the start.

Cheers, Julie

Hey Julie.........well done again. I like the idea of chipping away at a PB. That's my intention now. I'd like to go sub 3:25 for my next marathon. This might have to wait until next year though with following Paulo in to fatherhood at the end of this year! It certainly helps those post marathon blues when you have something else to aim for!

PC91 wrote (see)

Thanks Ady for your comments, also learning that Alex's first marathon was 4h30 made me smile.

Any idea what secret Bacon Steve is refering to ? Stitch him up ! That's what mates are for.

Haha.......I'm not sure if I know or not....I do know a story regarding a British Airways flight though! image

RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Shady-Ady
    Good to have a think about break down of race but don't forget that each time you run a race such as the marathon you tend to learn something from this and this new experience can actually help towards your next race. So even if you feel you could have done better then surely this is great news for your next race AND you still walked away with a new PB and reached your ultimate goal.
    I agree with Sarah O, you can be hard on yourself so just enjoy the fact you are now a sub 3.30 marathon runner, not that many people can claim that!!!
    I am signing off now but all the very best. This has been a great forum and such great support from everyone on here. Ruth

Thanks very much Ruth. Thanks for all the time and effort you've put in to this thread. You've improved me more than you probably realise and apart from the lapse at McDonalds yesterday, I'll be taking the healthy eating with me into my next challenge. The weight loss has helped so much, as did the carb-loading and I might not have liked being told off on here for eating a packet of Quavers, but it did make me think 'what will Ruth think' or 'do I really need this?' every time I looked at questionnable food products! 

Thanks also for the restaurant choices in Paris too! image I won't be eating pasta for a looooooong time now!

• Boffy wrote (see)

Ady - a belated congratulations for your performance in Paris!  I've been away and missed the crucial day.  Enjoy the moment and all the plaudits you receive, they're well deserved.  Be really interested to see your split times.

Well done to all the other Paris marathon runners on the thread too.  Was sorry to hear of the congestion and general madness that seems to have gone on.  When I did it it seemed pretty good, but I've never run London so perhaps I've never experienced that level of organisation before to compare against.

Finally - congratulations to you and Paulo on your exciting news re fatherhood!

Thanks Boffy........the congestion was bad at times, but it was mainly when the road narrowed and there was a bottle neck. I think it was a bit of a shock to the system as the last few marathons I've ran have all been smaller marathons where there has been no trouble with congestion. 

Good luck with your next running challenge and thanks for your comments over the past few months!

The splits are coming shortly! image

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Ha ha - I love the fact that you've shaved off a further 5 seconds since we said farewell on the Eurostar image A well-deserved success, Ady - you had our hearts in our mouths by being so close to the 3.30 deadline but you achieved what you set out to and you should be very proud. It's been an absolute pleasure to be part of your journey and also to meet everyone else who has been involved in this thread (Malcs gets a special mention for consistency and merciless micky taking)image

So, a few days rest now. (Don't worry that you didn't stretch after the race - it's not advisable to stretch after a marathon when muscles have so much microtrauma...). A gentle swim, walk or even warm bath in next couple of days followed by a gentle stretch will get you back on track. And then, er, Comrades!

Marathon season far from over for the rest of us. So back to the grindstone for me...!

Sam........it's been an absolute pleasure and I'm so grateful to you for all the effort, advice, motivation and support you've provided since way back last December. I was actually very daunted when I first started training, especially with the lively debates regarding weekly mileage. There were times when I wanted to sneak in a few extra miles here or there, just because I felt strong and felt able to run further. I'm so glad I didn't and tried to follow everything meticulously as you'd asked. It just goes to show that if you believe in your coach and training plan, you can reach golas you always thought were unattainable.

All the best for VLM and thanks again for making my long term dream come true!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Ha ha - I love the fact that you've shaved off a further 5 seconds since we said farewell on the Eurostar image A well-deserved success, Ady - you had our hearts in our mouths by being so close to the 3.30 deadline but you achieved what you set out to and you should be very proud. It's been an absolute pleasure to be part of your journey and also to meet everyone else who has been involved in this thread (Malcs gets a special mention for consistency and merciless micky taking)image

So, a few days rest now. (Don't worry that you didn't stretch after the race - it's not advisable to stretch after a marathon when muscles have so much microtrauma...). A gentle swim, walk or even warm bath in next couple of days followed by a gentle stretch will get you back on track. And then, er, Comrades!

Marathon season far from over for the rest of us. So back to the grindstone for me...!

Sam........it's been an absolute pleasure and I'm so grateful to you for all the effort, advice, motivation and support you've provided since way back last December. I was actually very daunted when I first started training, especially with the lively debates regarding weekly mileage. There were times when I wanted to sneak in a few extra miles here or there, just because I felt strong and felt able to run further. I'm so glad I didn't and tried to follow everything meticulously as you'd asked. It just goes to show that if you believe in your coach and training plan, you can reach goals you always thought were unattainable.

All the best for VLM and thanks again for making my long term dream come true!

• Day 110 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (05/04/13) - 2 days to go

Target: 3 mile jog

Actual: 3 mile jog on treadmill

Day 111 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (06/04/13) - 1 day to go

Target: 2 mile jog with acceleration strides

Actual: 2 mile jog with acceleration strides

The lead up to marathon day has probably been the most relaxed I've ever felt before running a marathon. Normally I'd be worried that my training hadn't been enough. As I've never followed a training plan religiously before, this was probably true.......I'd never done enough long runs or had make excuses not to do my speedwork. I didn't have such nerves this time around though , as I'd done exactly what my training plan had asked for.

I also have the bad habit of walking and walking and walking in the day before the marathon, especially if in a new city, as I feel I should do a spot of sightseeing alongside the marathon. It doesn't matter how many times I regret this, I seem to do it again and again. This time around I made a special effort not to do this. I rested. I slept and I was 'lazy'. It turned out to be the best option. I might have missed out on seeing some of Paris's world renown sights...........but if I had spent a few hours walking around these, then I doubt I would broken 3:30. Rest the day before a marathon is definitely the best thing I have ever done!

There wasn't any real running left to do. A simple jog on Friday before catching the Eurostar and then just a glorified stretching session on the Saturday morning with a few acceleration strides thrown in for good measure. The only real note worthy of mentioning is the shouting a French security guard blasted towards us on the Saturday as coach Steve guided us all in to a cemetery as part of the running course. We left rather sheepishly seconds later. Respecting the dead doesn't involve cemetery running.

Before Dorney Lake Half Marathon I really struggled with carb-loading. It was slightly easier before Paris, but only marginally. I admired myself in the mirror the night before the marathon  after the second day of carb-loading. I looked more pregnant than my wife! I suppose this was to be expected after eating plates of pasta for every meal! I will definitely be doing this again though. The bloated feeling had subsided come the day of the marathon, and there's no doubting my glycogen levels were at an all time high!

Did I sleep well before the marathon? Nope, not at all. But that's normal. First comes the nervous energy and adrenaline, then comes the restlessness. Then comes the inability to switch my mind off. By the time you go to sleep, you awake feeling like you've slept for seconds, feeling groggy  and tired. This soon shifts when you remember what potential this day holds...........

• Well done Ady. I am dead chuffed for you!  Bless you and your speedy little legs! xxx

• Day 112 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (07/04/13)

Target: The small matter of 26.2 miles along the streets of Paris in the search of a sub 3:30

Actual: 26.39 miles in 3:29:38 @ 7:57m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:06m/m. 2nd @ 7:46m/m. 3rd @ 7:47m/m. 4th @ 7:49m/m. 5th @ 8:01m/m. 6th @ 7:51m/m. 7th @ 7:52m/m. 8th @ 7:58m/m. 9th @ 7:57m/m. 10th @ 7:53m/m. 11th @ 7:48m/m. 12th @ 7:44m/m. 13th @ 7:48m/m. 14th @ 7:52m/m. 15th @ 7:59m/m. 16th @ 8:00m/m. 17th @ 8:00m/m. 18th @ 7:55m/m. 19th @ 8:00m/m. 20th @ 8:01m/m. 21st @ 7:50m/m. 22nd @ 8:21m/m. 23rd @ 8:02m/m. 24th @ 8:01m/m. 25th @ 8:07m/m. 26th @ 8:36m/m. Last 0.3 miles @ 7:43m/m

(Average speed taken for miles 16 and 17 due to loss of signal on Garmin when running in the underpass)

(Splits don't exactly match final time and distance due to Garmin switching itself off just before the start and taking 0.09 miles and 27 secs to get the GPS working and watch started).

Judgement day. The time to put all the doubters in their place. The time also to reward those that believed in me. There weren't any nerves. I knew what I had to do and I felt confident I'd do it. I'd felt confident all week, but I didn't want to say this as I thought it might tempt fate and sound a bit too pretentious!

We arrived at the Asics VIP area opposite the finish line just before 7:30am, enjoying the nice warmth before leaving for the start with 20 minutes to go. We should have definitely left earlier. Trying to fit in three pee stops and fight with 40,000 other runners to make my sub 3:30 gate in this time was a risky ask, making it to the gate just as we were walked forward for the start. It took a good 15 minutes to pass through the start and for the first mile a lot of weaving through the runners was needed.

I was half expecting a faster start, running with other sub 3:30 runners, but it seemed quite a few runners had over-estimated what they were capable of. Some were already shuffling at closer to 10 min/mile pace before the 1st mile was over.

Just before passing the start, my Garmin auto-switched off, meaning by the time I got GPS back and started the stopwatch, I thought I'd ran for a minute already. From then on, every mile marker I reached, I was adding this minute on to my time to give a more accurate picture of my time.

Luckily the roads widened quickly enough to pick up the pace to goal MP.  Even so, for the duration of the race, there was constant weaving needed to get past the slower runners. Whenever the road narrowed, there were bottlenecks and the pace slowed down to nothing more than a leisurely jog. I wasn't too bothered by any of this. I was keeping ahead of my pacing target of 7:50-7:59m/m and I was feeling strong.

Apparently there were plenty of nice buildings that we passed. The only one I can remember is the Eiffel Tower. The rest of the time I was staying focused on what was around me and what time I was running.

Just after mile 10 I afforded myself the luxury of a toilet stop, choosing a spot in the woods next to hundreds of other runners who I think had sub-consciously made me want to go. Even with the toilet break, I managed  to run this mile in 7:48. Definitely the fastest of the entire race!

The aim was to pick up the pace slightly upon reaching 10 miles, so that the next 10 were faster. This would leave plenty of breathing space come the last 6 miles.  With the weaving in and out constantly, it meant I was running extra for every single mile, which kept cutting in to my buffer. I passed halfway in 1:44:01. 1 minute up on my sub 3:30 quest.................................

• ..........................I still felt strong as I passed halfway. Runny Run Run was just a bobbing haze in the distance now. While some people had joked who was going to beat who, I'd always been focused on my own goal. I wasn't too bothered if another person beat me. I could guarantee there'd be a few other thousand in front of me as well come the end!

I think the tiredness started around mile 16. It didn't really affect me at this stage, but I could feel it was a little harder to keep the pace going and I was looking forward to taking my gels more. The three sections of running up and down under-passes made it slightly harder. Every time I took my gel, I felt a burst of speed almost immediately. Maybe it was the gel, or maybe it was just my mind.

The crowds were exceptional. Having my name on my shirt, I had thought up until this point that everyone in the crowd had been shouting 'Ady, Ady, Ady'. It's embarrassing it took me up to mile 18 to realise they were in fact shouting 'Alle, Alle, Alle'. I was just one of 40,000 other marathoners, running towards their own personal goal.

I took my final gel just after around the 22 mile mark, but my mile splits were already gradually creeping past the 8 minute mile mark. I knew I had a bit of time to play with, but the minute lost at the start due to Garmin troubles and the extra weaving put me perilously close. I managed to hold my speed to just the wrong side of 8 minute miles up until the last mile and a half. I'd worked out I could run the last 6 miles around 8:10m/m and come home under 3:30, but I really didn't want to cut it that close.

At the 25th mile mark, the first 3:30 pacer past me. This was soul destroying. The wall had definitely hit me in the face by now. I was struggling. My legs, arms and strangely, my chin and cheeks were starting to cramp. Whenever I tried to side-step a straggler in front of me, I could feel my hamstrings tensing up, as though they were ready to throw an almighty cramping fit.

As always the 26th mile lasted an eternity. I noticed I'd ran my slowest mile by quite a distance, and seeing the finish in sight, with the Arc de Triumph directly behind, I made one last final sprint to the finish. I could hear the cheers of Runnersworld, Asics and my wife, but I was too focused on my time to acknowledge them.

I stopped my watch when crossing the finish line and it read 3:29:11. With the extra minute lost at the start, the time it took me to start my watch after passing the start line, that meant I'd ran about 3:30:11. I was gutted. Inconsolable. "F***" was the only word that sprung to my lips.

I secretly hoped I'd over-estimated the length of time it had taken to start my Garmin after crossing the start line. I made my way back to the Asics VIP area to tell everybody the disappointing news. I got there and explained what had happened and that I think I was just a few seconds over my target. Luckily someone had the Paris Marathon app on their phone and checked. Never before have I been so happy to over-estimate my staying power. It hadn't taken me a minute to start my Garmin. It had only taken27 seconds, and I'd comfortably (ish!) made it in under my sub 3:30 goal with 22 seconds to spare. Despair turned to joy, and to celebrate reaching my goal, I spent the next hour puking my entire carb-loading guts up. It was worth it.

I'm annoyed my watch had the mishap at the start and I didn't know for sure when crossing the finish line if I'd made it under 3:30. I really wanted to run down the home straight knowing I'd succeeded in my goal and have that feeling of elation. But at the end of the day.........who cares..........I made my goal and have had probably one of the best experiences of my life.

Sam, Sarah, Ruth, Steve, everyone at Asics, everyone at Runnersworld have been amazing and I don't think I'll ever be able to thank them enough for making my dream a reality. I definitely will never be the same runner ever again!  

Here's my Paris Marathon Garmin info:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/295758699

• "Malcs.......I can guarantee you now there will be no more lycra pictures. I heard on the grapevine, the lycra pictures were the main reason Runnersworld have been having these photo 'issues' on the forum and nobody can add any photos"

Lol!
  • Ady - congratulations.  Like so many others I have watched your progress with interest and more than a little awe.  Your race splits above are amazing - what a machine.  When you said you hit a wall in mile 25 and were struggling, I had to do a double-take; you still did that mile in only around 40 seconds slower than the average. 

Thanks for all your posts, and all the encouragement that they have given to me (and many others) as I struggle for the motivation to stick to my schedule.  I won't achieve anything like you have done, but if I come near 4 hours in VLM I will be over the moon!

• Ive really enjoyed reading your marathon write up, but im now petrified! You have encouraged me to carbo load properly (as I didnt even attempt it last year) and im now wondering about whether its a good idea to go to the olympic village on the saturday.

Thankyou for answering my questions and again a huge congratulations on another marathon PB...two in two days!
  • Thankyou ruth and sam for all your help and advice
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great report Ady. 

Agree with you Cat, those were amazing splits Ady and to do the last two miles at that speed when you were in discomfort is outstanding! 

• Nice write up of the big day! I'm the_bugman2000 on garmin if you want to compare splits. Very similar indeed!
  • David Roberts 73 wrote (see)
    Well done Ady. It must be a great feeling afterwards knowing all the hard work paid off. I'm doing the Manchester marathon on the 28th and its my first one. I'm aiming for a 4.30-4.45 time. I've been training since last September and whilst I'm nervous I feel as strong as ever. I've managed niggles along the way but I know I'm on the verge of something big. Last 20 miler on Sunday before taper. Can't wait! Did you not feel tired after running two days immediately before the marathon? I'm a bit afraid to do it.

Thanks very much Dave..........it's definitely a good feeling hitting my goal. But not once did I think it was going to be easy. I knew it would be tight, but I wasn't expecting it to be that tight! It just goes to show that stubborness gets you nowhere. When it comes to running I certainly don't know best (like I previously thought!) and that's why this competition has shown me new possibilities I never knew I was capable of.

If you feel strong now, then that's definitely a good sign to you hitting your target. If you mind is in the right place and you are mentally focused, then I think this is 2/3's of the battle already won. In my experience it doesn't matter if your legs can carry on, if your mind isn't in the right place, then it's going to be difficult. The nerves are all part of the race build up, as are the little doubts that start creeping in. Just ignore them though!

I felt absolutely fine after my runs the two days before the marathon......they were only short runs at a slow pace. If they were quicker temp runs, then I think it would have affected me negatively, but as they were easy, it just stopped my legs from feeling lethargic. I do prefer to do a quick 10-20 minute loosener the day before the race than doing nothing at all.

Good luck on your last 20 miler and I hope you nail your target time. Enjoy the taper, and don't worry if you start feeling lethargic. I've always struggled to do a taper properly, but I think it made a hige difference doing it for Paris.

All the best!

• Ady- great race report, congrats again. I was wondering about your strategy to pick up the pace after 10 miles to then have a bit of a 'buffer' for the last 6 miles. Is it something you agreed on with Sam? You ran some very speedy splits there! 7:48 with a toilet stop is amazing... image I wish I could do that!

Your last few splits don't look bad at all considering you felt so rough. I've been told once that 'maximum hurt and minimum slow down' is the way to run marathons. Sounds like you've done just that!image

• Fab report Ady ... could have sworn you were in front of me most of the way. Lost you about mile 10 due to the crowds. Every time I heard an ambulance siren (of which there were LOADS) I had my fingers crossed that it wasn't you or Alex (A.W) down.

You ran a fantastic race and it was great having you on the journey along with Mel, Alex and Steve!!

• Xyloid wrote (see)

Well done Ady. I am dead chuffed for you!  Bless you and your speedy little legs! xxx

Ahhh thanks Xyloid image....it only seems like yesterday you were questioning me about the secrets of chafe-free running. Hopefully these speedy legs will continue their journey to even greater speeds!image

cat.on.mat wrote (see)

Ady - congratulations.  Like so many others I have watched your progress with interest and more than a little awe.  Your race splits above are amazing - what a machine.  When you said you hit a wall in mile 25 and were struggling, I had to do a double-take; you still did that mile in only around 40 seconds slower than the average. 

Thanks for all your posts, and all the encouragement that they have given to me (and many others) as I struggle for the motivation to stick to my schedule.  I won't achieve anything like you have done, but if I come near 4 hours in VLM I will be over the moon!

Hey cat.on.mat. Thanks very much for popping my 'in awe' cherry. That's the first time those words have been uttered with my name in the sae sentence! image I'm not sure I feel worthy of such comments. I have just tried my best and given every aspect we had available to us - the training, nutrition and physio, my best shot. I'm amazed at the difference this has given me.

The support this forum has given me has been incredible. I couldn't have asked for more really. So much useful information and so much motivation. I really hope you reach your goal in VLM and get close (if not under) 4 hours. Sticking to a training schedule I've always found hard and normally do my own thing, which has obviously never been good enough. It's nice to see from this experience what can be achieved if sticking to the training.

Don't be silly - image you'll achieve exactly the same as me - you'll finish a marathon and be a marathon runner. You'll have pushed yourself when the going gets tough and you'll have earnt your place on the starting line. You'll experience the same doubts, the same highs, and probably the same lows as well when the wall hits. But you'll get through these like every other finisher and I'm sure within 24 hours of finishing you'll already be planning your next marathon target!

I really hope you do well at VLM. Feel free to post how you did as it's been just as interesting to hear how others have done in their Spring marathons (and helps cover up some of my tedious posts!). All the very best!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Ive really enjoyed reading your marathon write up, but im now petrified! You have encouraged me to carbo load properly (as I didnt even attempt it last year) and im now wondering about whether its a good idea to go to the olympic village on the saturday.

Thankyou for answering my questions and again a huge congratulations on another marathon PB...two in two days!

Thanks Sarah........you shouldn't feel petrified though as your training sounds like it has gone excellently. I do find though that I get nervous reading about marathons while I'm tapering rather than during full training.

I'm sure you'll be fine walking around the Olympic Village on the Saturday, as long as it's not all afternoon. That was always my mistake when travelling somewhere different - spending the whole day walking around and then feeling shattered come evening and leaving myself only a few hours to recover and rest!

Best of luck........only a week to go more or less......very exciting times now!image

Malcs wrote (see)

Great report Ady. 

Agree with you Cat, those were amazing splits Ady and to do the last two miles at that speed when you were in discomfort is outstanding! 

Haha....thanks....I was looking at the marathon videos of me that were taken at various points along the route......there's one video of me passing mile 25 just as the 3:30 pacer is passing me.....the look of fear and dismay on my face when I see this can be clearly seen. A face full of fear is not an attractive sight!

A week to go for you as well..........what's on your carb-loading menu?

Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Nice write up of the big day! I'm the_bugman2000 on garmin if you want to compare splits. Very similar indeed!

Hay Paulo.......I'll have a look at your run on Garmin shortly...........and if I don't get the chance to say it again, best of luck in your passage to fatherhood, sleepless nights and the onset of grey hair! image I can't wait for the same!

• Brolish wrote (see)

Ady- great race report, congrats again. I was wondering about your strategy to pick up the pace after 10 miles to then have a bit of a 'buffer' for the last 6 miles. Is it something you agreed on with Sam? You ran some very speedy splits there! 7:48 with a toilet stop is amazing... image I wish I could do that!

Your last few splits don't look bad at all considering you felt so rough. I've been told once that 'maximum hurt and minimum slow down' is the way to run marathons. Sounds like you've done just that!image

Errrr.........no, this hadn't received the official seal of approval from coach Murphy. Sam had given me the target of running each mile between 7:50 and 7:59 m/m. My plan was to average around 7:55m/m for the first 10 miles and then around 7:50m/m for the next 10 miles. Secretly I really wanted the holiest of holy grails - the negative marathon split! Alas it wasn't to be, but I was only 1 minute 42 secs slower in the 2nd half of the marathon compared to the first. When you conisder my previous best 2nd half split was a positive 13 minutes, I don't suppose it's too shabby!

The toilet stop mile was al downhill, but the want for a negative split was the driving factor in running this faster as well. I think with  a bit more leg and core strength training I'd have been much closer. I can save this for next time!

Hopefully next time though I can cut out the toilet break altogether!

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Fab report Ady ... could have sworn you were in front of me most of the way. Lost you about mile 10 due to the crowds. Every time I heard an ambulance siren (of which there were LOADS) I had my fingers crossed that it wasn't you or Alex (A.W) down.

You ran a fantastic race and it was great having you on the journey along with Mel, Alex and Steve!!

Thanks Sarah.........well done again on your excellent run, PB and negative split........you managed to hit every single target! Not bad for a cold Sunday mornings work! All the best for your future runs and I'm sure that time will see chunks taken off it regularly.

Along with Mel, Steve and Alex, you have all made it more of a family affair over the past 16 weeks. It hasn't felt like a compeition. It hasn't felt like we had the need to out do each other. It's been one big orgy of supportiveness and motivation. 

Hopefully we can all get together for an autumn race when Steve can show us all how to run a sub 3:20 running backwards! image Keep in touch!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Malcs wrote (see)

Great report Ady. 

Haha....thanks....I was looking at the marathon videos of me that were taken at various points along the route......there's one video of me passing mile 25 just as the 3:30 pacer is passing me.....the look of fear and dismay on my face when I see this can be clearly seen. A face full of fear is not an attractive sight!

A week to go for you as well..........what's on your carb-loading menu?

Videos? Are these publically available? And would you tell me if they were? image

I don't blame you for worrying when the pacer passed you, I would have been exactly the same in your position. Probably worse!

Carbo loading is a slight concern. After failing miserably when I tried it with you I think I may just throw the whole day's worth into the blender image

I can't believe how much weaving around you had to do. That's a right pain and must have contributed heavily to your last two miles of pain. You still did amazingly though to keep the pace so constant. I had a little run out today with 3 miles at 8mm pace and all I could hear was the voices in my head telling me I won't be able to keep it up for 26 miles. 

How are the legs today?

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Malcs, if you go to the Paris Marathon site, under Results. Type in the name and you'll have a choice of video or photos.
  • I'm checking my watch in nearly all the videos of me making sure I'm still on track. Didn't even realise I was being filmed!
  • Malcs....don't listen to those voices.....they are just lies!

The legs are feeling much better today thanks. I think I'll definitely be losing the nail of one of my big toes though - it's gone a horrid black colour! A small price to pay though!

Like PC91 has said, if you go to the Paris Marathon website and type in my race number (22826) then you should get the video options.

I'm going to listen to Sam though and wait until the weekend to run again.