Options

The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Options

So that's it....the dream is finally over. After 112 days, 549 miles in 76 hours at an average of 8:19m/m it's come to an end. Did I expect to reach my gold target at the start of training...........definitely not. Especially when being made to dress in lycra for the first photo shoot on store day. Looking at the muffin top exploding through the mirror, there was no way I thought I'd get close. My best half marathon time last year was a tad under 1:50. The thought of having to run quicker than this by 10 minutes for double the distance sounded almost impossible.

But I like a good challenge. I seem to do better when I feel I have a point to prove. It's like the harder the challenge is, the more I'm focused on achieving it. I rated my chances at best 40% on getting a sub 3:30. This was confounded by my first realistic marathon target time I was given by Sam - 3:36 and was told going sub 3:30 was a big ask. I was under no illusions it was a big ask, and I knew I had to take every part of this training seriously.

I worked hard at my goals. There were setbacks - knee problems from almost the start, disappointing Parkruns. But I tried to stay focused on the main goal. Each time I suffered a setback, I dusted myself off and started again. As the weight loss kicked in and my addiction to a sugary desert every evening disappeared, I felt the sub 3:30 goal get closer and closer.

Even when lining up on the start line last Sunday, I didn't feel 100% sure I would break my sub 3:30 goal. More like 80-20 or 70-30. All it would have taken was one minor setback to have knocked in completely in to doubt. Mentally I was strong. I put this down to running marathons in the past and knowing what pain will surface in the latter stages. My previous 16 weeks had certainly helped me to get to this position. I'd gained new 5km, 10 mile, Half Marathon and 20 mile PBs along the way. During the marathon itself, I'd end up improving my Marathon PB by almost 15 minutes, and improving my 2nd half marathon best split, form a positive 13 minutes to a much more respectable 1 min 43 secs.

What did I find most useful in achieving this? Definitely the varied training structure and following a training plan. To run each run at a different pace and different distance made training fun. I in particularly liked the progressive runs - learning to run faster on tired legs. I think this really helped on race day in Paris.

Having a gel strategy and carb-loading meant the wall hit much later than it normally did. Running my long slow runs at the weekend between 30 secs and 60 secs slower than MP meant I left myself in much better condition for the speed sessions and suffered much less fatigue than I normally suffered.

• Options

But if I can pass on one thing I've learnt more than anything else during this training it's EVEN PACING. I don't think I can emphasise enough how pacing myself through Paris meant I still had something to give when the going got tough. Before Paris, I'd always live the dream in the first few miles, and then crash and burn spectacularly in the latter stages. Learning to run an EVEN paced race has made such a difference. There is not a better feeling than passing runner after runner in the latter stages of a race, and the only way I could do this was to pace myself better.

In Paris I passed so many runners that were the old version of me - they were running beyond their capabilities in the first half of the race, and then suffered and struggled during the second half. There's not a more despondent feeling than starting to walk at mile 16 knowing you've still got 10 miles to go. I'll never be this runner again!

Thanks one final time to Sam, Steve, Ruth, Sarah, Alex, Mel, Steve, Sarah, everyone from Runnersworld and everyone from Asics who have made this experience unforgettable.

To everyone who still have Spring marathons to run, I really hope you nail your targets!

• Options
    Thankyou Ady. That was a very inspirational read....now im feeling more nervous, but like you ive learnt how to run an even or negative split throughout the last 16 weeks and like you I cant emphasise how much I have benefitted from it and recommend it
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Ady - the videos look fine, not a turtle impression in sight!

Thanks for the reassurance. It's so hard not to listen to those nagging voices In the head.

I agree with Sarah, that was a great and very inspiring closing summary. You've kept us brilliantly entertained over the past few months. You said from the outset that you'd share every high and low and you've not disappointed.

I'm so glad that you got what you wanted. You have worked immensely hard and everything you got you had to fight for.

You say the dream is over but I think for you it's only just starting. Keep on fighting, keep on smiling and you will conquer any challenge you set yourself.

....when does the Comrades training start? image
  • Options
    Into the last week for you guys and less than a week to the all important start of the carb load. I hope you're both feeling confident! You should be.

Comrades training starts properly tomorrow. It's actually been quite interesting writing my own training plan for this, adapting plans I've found on the Internet for the race.

I went for my first post Paris jog yesterday and my legs are more or less back to normal now. I felt very lethargic though, and my big tails are still giving me a fair bit of discomfort.............there's definitely going to be a nail or two lost from this!

The weirdest part of the Comrades training will definitely be seeing the marathon distance as just a training run. I still can't get my head around this! I've entered the 3 Forts Marathon in Worthing on May 5th as my practice run for Comrades. It's supposed to be very hilly, which I'm hoping will mimic somewhat Comrades. On top of that I want to do a 40 mile run (see run here as more a brisk walk sightseeing along the Thames!) and 2 weeks where I do back to back long runs at the weekend. After that it will be taper time again.

It's going to be strange to be running at 10-12m/m instead of what I've been doing.

I can't wait to hear how you all do in your marathons next weekend. Good luck!
  • Options
    Your big tails?!? I knew you were super human... But tails? Really?image
  • Options
    Damn predictive text! Toes not tails! I'm not going to be the star of a Channel 4 documentary just yet!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Your Comrades training sounds really exciting. I'd like to try an ultra myself one day but not just yet. TR24 is a gentler step into that world but having a break every 6 miles won't be quite the same.

Are you going to keep your thread going to keep us up to date with your Comrades training?

Yes - one week to go. Quite excited now. Confident? Kind of. Certainly confident of a PB but sub 3:30 is still a little scary. Fingers crossed. 

Good to hear your legs are back and feeling good. Look forward to hearing how you get on in the world of the ultra.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Just caught up with the thread, I've been away without a phone or internet!

SO SO pleased for you Ady. You so deserved that result. I've really enjoyed reading your thread.

Hey Malcs, how about doing Born to Run ultra with me next spring. image Any other takers???

• Options

Hey Ady, I loved reading your forum from the start and the race report in Paris was very informative and motivating. Congrats again on the result, you deserved it. 

Also congratulations on expectant fatherhood approaching!!

Through your thread and reading all the advice everyone has shared I feel very prepared to start my first Marathon campaign and cant wait!

Good luck with the training for commrades. 

The toenails will be fine, dont worry. If they fall off, let them come off on their own and dont force them sooner. They will regrow in time but it can take a while, be patient. Sometimes it doesnt matter how short you cut them before a race you can still get nasty bruises and loose them. 

• Options
    Ady your mad...comrades and the training for it sounds mental!

Im feeling good about VLM today...im ready to face it head on...yesterday however I was feeling quite nauseous when ever I thought about it!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Is it in Feb again Jen? Very tempting. 

Sarah, leave the worrying to the experts (ie me). You just focus on how much you are going to smash it by! 

• Options
    How far did you go for your 1st post Paris jog? My legs feel good now but I've got a pain on the top of my right foot that's stopping me getting back out!
  • Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

Your Comrades training sounds really exciting. I'd like to try an ultra myself one day but not just yet. TR24 is a gentler step into that world but having a break every 6 miles won't be quite the same.

Are you going to keep your thread going to keep us up to date with your Comrades training?

Yes - one week to go. Quite excited now. Confident? Kind of. Certainly confident of a PB but sub 3:30 is still a little scary. Fingers crossed. 

Good to hear your legs are back and feeling good. Look forward to hearing how you get on in the world of the ultra.

Afternoon Malcs! It must have been nice this weekend to not have a long run to do, although in today's weather, it might have been nice to get out in the sunshine for once. 

The TR24 sounds quality to be honest. I love the fact you can run solo against a team of 8 - it kind of opens the even up to more people! I think this would have been a bit too much for my running calender to fit in after Comrades, plus, I'd like a few weeks over the Summer, where I can just concentrate on shorter distances, or even have a few weeks off altogether!

If people are interested and enquire about the Comrades training, then I'm more than happy to keep this updated, but I'm not sure what interest there would be as I doubt many people would be silly enough to transition from a marathon training plan to an ultra training plan and expect to be race ready for the ultra only 8 weeks after running the marathon as hard as possible. 

The mileage is very daunting. I'm using the training schedule off the Comrades website, using the the Bill Rowan training schedule to finish between 7hrs30mins and 9hrs. This is apprently for people who have ran a half under 1:40 and a ful marathon around 3:30. To be honest though, I'm just happy to finish the race inside the 12 hour cut off.

Looking at the schedule, the thought of the next three weekends being a 25, 40 and 30 LSR/ walk is extremely daunting. It's also interesting the training schedule is done by minutes instead of miles, so those that are quicker will end up running many more miles in a week than those who are slower (although the time on feet will be the same). I've never seen this before!

Good luck in your last week!

jenf wrote (see)

Just caught up with the thread, I've been away without a phone or internet!

SO SO pleased for you Ady. You so deserved that result. I've really enjoyed reading your thread.

Hey Malcs, how about doing Born to Run ultra with me next spring. image Any other takers???

Thanks Jen. I still can't believe I managed it. I can't believe it was only last week as well.......it seems like months ago now. 

I've just looked at the Born to Run ultra. It looks really nice. I'm surprised though how cheap it is and also that it's limited to 100 entrants. At the moment I'm planning on doing another Spring Marathon next year, but that could easily change!

Are you definitely entering this? Have you done it before?

• Options
    Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hey Ady, I loved reading your forum from the start and the race report in Paris was very informative and motivating. Congrats again on the result, you deserved it. 

Also congratulations on expectant fatherhood approaching!!

Through your thread and reading all the advice everyone has shared I feel very prepared to start my first Marathon campaign and cant wait!

Good luck with the training for commrades. 

The toenails will be fine, dont worry. If they fall off, let them come off on their own and dont force them sooner. They will regrow in time but it can take a while, be patient. Sometimes it doesnt matter how short you cut them before a race you can still get nasty bruises and loose them.   

Thanks Ksizzlepod. I hope your marathon training goes well. If I do a Spring Marathon next year, I'll definitely follow next years winners as I'm sure this will help me challenge for another quick time. 

The toenails are much better now thanks........I had thought all week that the toenails were just bruised, but after discomfort from today's run I realised there were blisters underneath the toenails.....with these now taken care of, the pain has subsided....I wish I'd realised this a week ago!

sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Ady your mad...comrades and the training for it sounds mental!

Im feeling good about VLM today...im ready to face it head on...yesterday however I was feeling quite nauseous when ever I thought about it!

Hey Sarah.........hopefully this time next week, you'll be basking in the glory of a very quick VLM time and a monstrous PB!

The training for Comrades actually isn't too bad....the LSR at the weekend are daunting and the mileage is higher during the week, but the pace is slower than marathon training, so it shouldn't be as intense. I'm just going to try and get as much time on my feet as my legs allow, not bothering too much about time.

Best of luck next week......when are you going to the Expo? Will you get it out of the way with early so you can relax, or will you do it on the Saturday so you can take in the atmosphere and get in the zone?

• Options
    Paulo83 wrote (see)
    How far did you go for your 1st post Paris jog? My legs feel good now but I've got a pain on the top of my right foot that's stopping me getting back out!

I did a nice 9m/m 3.3 miles. I did just under 6 miles today just a little bit faster, so nothing too strenous yet. I'll step up the training next week, and also get back to eating the right foods again, after having a somewhat questionable week nutrition wise!

I have had pains on the top of my feet before, but I think that was just an extension of the shin splits and tight tendons. Duirng the Paris marathon I was having a few pains on the top of my left foot towards the end and I think becuase my foot had expanded my shoe lace had become too tight. I didn't feel I had the time to do anything about it. Hopefully it's something like this and you'll be back up and running this week!

• Options
    Haha, thanks Malcs. Ive got to say ive felt calm all weekend...probably wont last though!

I think I might have to take your word for it Ady. Last year I was thinking about doing a 50 mile ultra, but as I finished VLM I swore I never would put myself through that....although like you said, they are ran/walked much slower.

Were going down on fri. We should hopefully get to london by 2pm and will collect our numbers then to get it out of the way. Going to the theatre on fri night and then we have all day sat to do something touristy but were still deciding what at the moment. Something that doesnt involve too much time on my feet!
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - how's the recovery going? I've had pains in my foot before. In fact I have some now but they are very mild.

I get it where the Tibialis Anterior inserts at the top inside part of the foot. I agree with you - I think it mostly comes down to having really tight shins and the tendons getting pulled tight.

Hope that Mrs Shady is doing well with mini shady inside. 

Same with Mrs Paulo.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Malcs, the Born to run ultra is end of March next year. I've not yet committed to run it, Ady, but the date is in my diary. I marshalled this year, and will either run or Marshall next year. Its a very friendly ultra, lots of personal touches, hence only 100 runners. Tempted???

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hmm, end of March could be tricky to balance with a spring marathon. Will have to think about that Jen.

I'm still hoping the running gods will shine on us and we'll all get places in London next year for DS2's birthday image

• Options

Hey all.......good luck Malcs and Sarah this weekend....I hope you're not feeling too nervous.......about Sunday....you're both going to do amazingly well. I hope the carb-loading has now started! PAsta all the way for the next 2 days!

Just getting ready to head out to the London Marathon expo now. Being in London anyway today, I thought it would be rude note to make the small trip across to the East side. I need to ask the Comrades stand a few questions as well, as I haven't got any reply from emailing them. 

I might have to bail out of running the Born to Run ultra. I'd really like to concentrate again on another Spring marathon and from how I'm feeling now, I think it would be a big ask to do an Ultra and do it justice as well. But you never know, my impulse can take over sometimes!

Recover has been going well thanks. I didn't really do anything the first week after Paris, but have started running this week. My Comrades training plan says I should be doing 66 miles this week.........obviously very unrealistic considering what I was doing in Paris training. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be meeting the mileage I should be doing for this, but I'll definitely be done enough to complete it.....which is all I wanted to do in the first place!

I have a 4 hour run around Richmond Park tomorrow....I imagine it's going to be errily quiet compared to running there a few weeks ago. It's strange slowing my pace down to 10m/m instead of 8m/m like I was running in training before. It's amazing how quickly you feel like you've lost your speed!

Anyway, enough about me.....my time has been and gone....it's all about you guys now...........all the very best for everyone running Sunday....if I canreach my target time, then you certainly have nothing to worry about! image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers Ady, much appreciated! I'm reasonably confident I can give it a good shot on Sunday. Weather looks good except for the wind. 15mph forecast. If that's at my back I guess I can't complain image

Wow, 66 miles in a week and that's just at the start of the training? I guess that's what you have to do when you're training to run that far.

Hope your run goes well tomorrow. Do let us know how you get on.

Enjoy the expo. I would have loved to have come up there but unfortunately I'm scrambling around trying to get things finished before heading West.

• Options
    How do you have time for 66miles a week? Especially at that pace?!

Good luck to the runners tomorrow!
  • Options

Hey Paulo......the simple answer to that question is I don't! Not the past week anyway! I was going to increase my weekday runs and then long weekend runs as well but work meetings and lethargy got in the way!

In the end I only managed 45 miles this week, which I think was a much more realistic target than 66! I was more than happy with this, especially the 24 mile LSR yesterday. It's going to be too much of an ask to jump up to that kind of mileage from my current base.

Are you back running after Paris?

Great to see others beat their PBs today. Good running!

• Options

Hi Ady/everyone

Who beat their PBs Ady? Hope Malcs has! I paced the sub 4.30 group and got them round in 4.28.30 so did a respectable job for which I rewarded myself with birthday cake aplenty! Couldn't quite get the wine down though! Off to bed now. Hope everyone achieved the goals they wanted.

My foot is feeling fine but my hip is terrible - these random niggles, eh?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hi Sam, fantastic work on the pacing. You must be very pleased to get them round bang on time. And happy birthday too! Hope the hip sorts itself out.

I got round in 3:32:42 a PB by 26 mins! Still in shock image

It's all been down to finding these forums and the help I've had at and following bootcamp. Thanks so much for your help and advice Sam and everyone else too.

Also a mention to physio Sarah for replying to my panic message a couple of days before the race.

Ady - following your progress here has been a massive help to me. I've got so much out of the process and not had any of the pressure you've had to deal with. Thanks again for all your help.

• Options

Malcs - absolutely fantastic time, big congratulations!

• Options
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady/everyone

Who beat their PBs Ady? Hope Malcs has! I paced the sub 4.30 group and got them round in 4.28.30 so did a respectable job for which I rewarded myself with birthday cake aplenty! Couldn't quite get the wine down though! Off to bed now. Hope everyone achieved the goals they wanted.

My foot is feeling fine but my hip is terrible - these random niggles, eh?

Hey Sam.....a belated happy birthday and immaculate pacing for the sub 4:30. I hope you're saving that wine for another day! image It looked perfect weather for it. I'm very happy you managed to recover from your injury in time to run. Hopefully the hip will be back to normal after rest.....or at least the wine will numb the pain somewhat!

I'm not sure who else was running this weekend, but both Malcs and Sarah put in immense performances!

• Options

Brilliant, Malcs! So pleased for you... And you are more than welcome for any help/advice you've had from meimage

Delighted to hear Sarah O has PBd too! Well done Sarah!

Thanks Ady - it was really enjoyable - thoroughly recommend signing up to the pacing team for next year image

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

Hi Sam, fantastic work on the pacing. You must be very pleased to get them round bang on time. And happy birthday too! Hope the hip sorts itself out.

I got round in 3:32:42 a PB by 26 mins! Still in shock image

It's all been down to finding these forums and the help I've had at and following bootcamp. Thanks so much for your help and advice Sam and everyone else too.

Also a mention to physio Sarah for replying to my panic message a couple of days before the race.

Ady - following your progress here has been a massive help to me. I've got so much out of the process and not had any of the pressure you've had to deal with. Thanks again for all your help. 

image Oooooh stop it Malcs.......you're making a grown man blush! To be totally honest though, you should be giving yourself a huge pat on the shoulder....it was you that forced yourself to go out on the cold, wet, snowy horrible days. It was you that focused yourself on a return after illness and injury......and it was you that kept strong mentally when the going got tough in the latter stages on Sunday! Congratulations again.

It does help though knowing that you have a bunch of people waiting on your result to help keep you going in the race and help keep you focused! I knew when I was running Paris, in the latter stages, it wasn't just me I was going to let down by fading and not going sub 3:30, it was all the people here as well.

I've got no doubt that you will go even faster on a nicer flatter course and batter that 3:30 barrier. Started thinking when you may do this yet?

You should definitely bask in the blaze of your new PB for as long as Mrs. Malcs allows you! Hopefully we'll meet up at some race in the near future!