The RW Forum Six - The Pitch Thread

Comments

• A tip: Lou, if you win, you might want to change your name back before they set up a thread named after you that stays on the forum forever.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nice pitch Poo. image

•  

literatin wrote (see)

A tip: Lou, if you win, you might want to change your name back before they set up a thread named after you that stays on the forum forever.

I'm not sure.  I'm thinking I might keep it.

• I am sure you will for ever be known as Poo anyway ...

Shedboy ... I am not sure if that is a winning pitch, maybe you need to employ Carter

• Here goes then

Iam an ex triathlete and stopped all training and racing in 2005 as we had a baby so wanted to spend as much time with the family as possible, now my lad is 6 years old and not cool to play games with dad I am technically redundant so now is the time to start running again properly, I started in January 2013 running around 15 miles a week to get some fitness back and did my 1st race (with my longest run being 10k) in the march (Liverpool half Mara in 1 hour 33) I then carried on running 15 miles a week and did a 42 mile ultra in May 2013 (in 7 hours 52 was injured on the day but was hoping for 6:30) I did the Coniston 14 in OCT in 1:43 again with very little training and I have done marathons in past but manly at the end of ironman racing so times are around 4 hour 20 mark, I have also done Snowdon mara many moons ago (in 3:58 I think when I 1st started running) and London which was more of a plod as it was my 1st time in London so was sightseeing more than running.

My park run time is 20:06 at the min and will get lower soon (mara time on paper is sub 3)

My goal time is 3:30 - 3:15

My race entries so far are as follows

1. Montane UT 26 in FEB 2014 = OFF ROAD MARATHON race entry confirmed

2. Liverpool half MAR 2014 = not confirmed yet (waiting for wife to say ok)

3. Manchester Mara APR 2014= not confirmed yet (waiting for wife to say ok)

4. K2B ultra MAY 2013 = Reg opens Jan 2014

5. Lakeland 50 JULY 2014 = race entry confirmed
  • Sorry that was stopped in 2007 not 2005
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Im really liking some of these pitches! Good luck everyone!

• Are you sure your wife says it's okay to pitch on here Kenimage

• @ the Grinch, nice one image

The wife is in charge of logistics and I fit races in between the lads football matches so have to plan races carefully
  • I'm not really sure what you're looking for but I may as well give it a go. Might help for my own motivation when I realise how slow I am!

I have a place in the London marathon next year. I entered it on a whim as my friend had done so and had posted it on FB so I thought as I didn't have to pay any money for it I may as well enter the ballot. Forgot all about it and returned from work one day to find the "you're in" magazine on my door mat. Oh shit I thought.

I "ran" the Brighton marathon in 2011 as my dad had previously died of lung cancer and I did it for Macmillan. When I first started training I couldn't run around the block and finished it in 5:08:37 on a ridiculously hot day. I was disappointed that it wasn't the 4:45 I had secretly hoped for but on 2 runs a week it was good enough.

I vowed that I would keep running afterwards and not slope off.....my nike app tells me that I did another 3 runs that year!

Currently I'm running 11min miles and I struggle to go faster for any considerable amount of time. I have got confused by so much information about what runs to do and what pace to do them at - everyone has their own opinions with valid reasons! I have no idea if I can potentially run the marathon 30-45 seconds a mile faster than I train at - I hope so!!

I recently took part in the Crowborough 10k in which I did it in 1:08:51 (there is a mahusive hill in there that you have to do twice!) which highlighted that I need to put more effort in.

I work minimum 50 hours a week as a manager for people with learning difficulties and mental health issues. Often, by the time I get home, my brain is fried and I just want to lay and watch tv. (whilst drinking copious amounts of Malibu and pepsi max) I also play ten pin bowling twice a week (have played in the England U24 ladies team)

I was going to say that I'm very busy but actually it appears I'm not - I'm just tired and like to look for reasons not to go out running! Saying that though, once I'm in a routine I can stick to it regardless of weather conditions. I actually like going out in the wind and rain so that I can moan about it to my partner and he can give me sympathy and make my dinner for me                        

So my weakness is motivation? No, I think it's actually not understanding the reasoning behind each run and being sure that I'm not just accumulating "junk miles."

I love running. Well shuffling really. I love shuffling along without a care in the world. I love being part of a community and joining up for my long run on a Sunday morning with the RUNbrighton group and the camaraderie of it all. I love my friends saying "I don't know how you can do that" and I can have that holier than thou kinda feeling as although I'm slow - I'm faster than them sitting on their butts scoffing chocolate......mmmmmm chocolate.  

I would really love to run a marathon between 4:30-4:45. Is this achievable? With your help I think so!

*No small animals were harmed with the writing of this pitch. (I shouted at my cats as they were meowing but they’re technically not small)

•  

Apologies for not posting sooner, work has been manic and I had a funeral to attend yesterday.

I have decided not to enter a Spring marathon as the Police track & field champs this summer are also the trials for the GB team who will go to Russia to compete in the Euro track and field champs later that summer, these events are like the World Cup and only occur once every four years. Therefore I've decided to try and make the team and will focus on short (very short) track distances once the winter and XC is finished.

If I’m unsuccessful, which is highly likely, I think I will enter an autumn marathon, such as Chester or Abingdon.

Good luck to everyone who has pitched!

• Its so good to be a female runner!! no need to get permission to run from anyone, just tell fiance when to take time off to drive me to races image  

• Only a couple of days left .. roll up, roll up   image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    My other half runs and rides a bike. She is brilliant image

No training issues here
  • I am an asics 26.2 sub 3 hr reject! it would have been nice to break the mould and be the First Lady in the sub 3 hr group. Not only that, but the first old lady!!, I was 50 this year but don't seem to be slowing down. Running is me. I am first and foremost a runner! My life revolves round sport and i fit work in to the gaps. 

lots of pbs this year.

5k- 18.20

10k- 38.26

10 mile- 62.52

Half marathon- 1.21.52

marathon . . . ..  .still waiting for my PB . This seems to be my stumbling block. Why can't i do a sub 3hr. Best time was in 2010 when I did 3.06 at VLM. since then 3.08 and 3.12.

I am so committed and always work from a plan and achieve all the goals and times and then it falls apart on the day.  Sooooo frustrating. Maybe I try too hard. Love swimming and cycling so try to cram that in somewhere as well. If only there we're few more hours to the day and days to the week. Oh I also have a dog that I have to walk twice a day, 

I think I could do with some guidance and help from you to get me to the long awaited sub 3 group.

I

• I am an asics 26.2 sub 3 hr reject! it would have been nice to break the mould and be the First Lady in the sub 3 hr group. Not only that, but the first old lady!!, I was 50 this year but don't seem to be slowing down. Running is me. I am first and foremost a runner! My life revolves round sport and i fit work in to the gaps. 

lots of pbs this year.

5k- 18.20

10k- 38.26

10 mile- 62.52

Half marathon- 1.21.52

marathon . . . ..  .still waiting for my PB . This seems to be my stumbling block. Why can't i do a sub 3hr. Best time was in 2010 when I did 3.06 at VLM. since then 3.08 and 3.12.

I am so committed and always work from a plan and achieve all the goals and times and then it falls apart on the day.  Sooooo frustrating. Maybe I try too hard. Love swimming and cycling so try to cram that in somewhere as well. If only there we're few more hours to the day and days to the week. Oh I also have a dog that I have to walk twice a day, 

I think I could do with some guidance and help from you to get me to the long awaited sub 3 group. I have a place in VLM 2014 so fingers crossed !!!

I

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

doppy - if there was a vote I'd definitely vote for you! What amazing times! I want to know more! 

• Good for you doppy, I an approaching 50 myself in 4 months and just seem to be improving this year, so hooray for us oldies!

I could only dream of. Sub 4 so my hat is off to you getting so close to 3. image
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Wow Doppy, those are some solid times. I'd love to be getting those at 50.
  • Wow, my vote's for Doppy. Can't understand why Asics didn't pick you. As a V40 female, it would be really inspirational to read your thread. Would love to hear more about your running history and training. How long have you been running for and how fast was your first marathon?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

doppy - what does a typical week of marathon training look like for you ? Your 1/2 mara PB is solid.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Doppy - I think you need to start your own thread right away. I'm also v40, soon to be v45 image, and like SK would love to know more about your history etc.  Sub 3 must be in there. Asics missed a trick not putting you through. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hark the herald Angela Sings wrote (see)

Its so good to be a female runner!! no need to get permission to run from anyone, just tell fiance when to take time off to drive me to races image  

You have a very understanding fiance!

doppyashton wrote (see)

Oh I also have a dog that I have to walk twice a day, 

You got my vote with this...image but secondly because I really want to hear about your story! Can you tell us more? I agree with Minni about starting up your own thread!

• Wow doppy! That's some seriously impressive times!

Can I ask what your training schedule looks like at the moment? What do you do in a typical week? Thanks image

• Wow Doppy, those are amazing times! No reason why you shouldn't be sub 3 from those times, so I hope you get a mentor through this to help you.

Minni - embrace the v45, it's great imageimage

• +1 for a doppy thread!!  Would love to hear more.  I'm about half doppy's age and can't even fathom times like those.  Think this has the scope for a fantastic thread - love your commitment and enthusiasm.

• Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see)
    Hark the herald Angela Sings wrote (see)

Its so good to be a female runner!! no need to get permission to run from anyone, just tell fiance when to take time off to drive me to races image  

You have a very understanding fiance!

Thanks Emmy!!!  I'm just hoping it doesn't change after we say our I dos.... image

• Hi Doppy - I looked you up on Po10 after you won a race I did, and I couldn't believe you hadn't run a sub 3 marathon already! I'm sure you'll do it at VLM. I'd also be interested to know what training you do too - I bet it's more intensive than the Asics sub 3 plan they're using and that's why they didn't put you through.