Options

Why do the London Marathon organisers discriminate against middle aged runners?

124»

Comments

• Options
    I could easily come down on either side of this argument. The organisers have to make a decision and they make their best judgement. They may decide to, one day, that the whole thing is a pain in the ass and do away with it altogether. The VLM doesn't need GFA runners to survive. I think that on the whole it's quite fair and I'd rather have it than not.
  • Options

I ran London in 2006 came in at  4.10.  I ran Paris 2012 3.42 having only returned to running 5 months prior to the race. I am a women so because of time qualified for a good for age at london.   I completed London last year at 3.23 and I am now 46 my times have drastically improved with age, and I also finished reall strong last year I also reallyl had more in the tank but I decided to enjoy and stop and look out for  friends and family  towards end as I knew I had reached my 3.30 target my fastest miles was the last two at 7.15 min . so for me I have improved with age! 

As a women I  feel very  lucky to have a good for age place however I often thought  it was a big  gap for the in good for age time compared to women and men 3.50 for women is far more achievable then a 3.15 and have often discussed this with others and I was told one of the reasons was because of the ratio of men to women who participate and I must admit I was surrounded more by men then women last year around the 3.30 mark.