Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

MG, hope the weather conditions improve

NP, sorry to hear your HM has been cancelled and your 100% jantastic run will come to an end image mine went ages ago when I forgot to update it, and I had done all the runs too image

SM6, Nice swim today, hope the legs are recovering

Tek, a nice day of training sir and rounded off nicely too, good luck with the half, hopefully it will go ahead

NN, You deserve a day off you've been working and training very hard

Decided to bin the run outdoors this evening, very strong wind with some light flakes of snow which were being whipped around, so I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. listening to MarathonTalk and then I did Body Balance to finish my workout

I will probably do my long run tomorrow afternoon after the OH and daughter go off to Edinburgh for a dancing Competion(Weather permitting)

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    That's a bummer NP image

Brave man on the treddy Stewart, rather go out in a hurricane myself image

Just off for a 5 recovery in the snow.

Then it's 20 tomorrow and TAPER time !!
  • Options
    13 miles in the snow and blizzard this morning, 3-4 inches of snow on the canal paths was fun, managed a reasonable pace in av 8.43 /m, one more week of full training now left for me!
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM enjoy the yoga

NP sorry to hear about the race.  Enjoy your hill and hope the LR goes ok on Sunday

Stewart nice treddie.  Good luck for the LR tomorrow

mace hope you enjoyed your recovery in the snow.  Good luck for the LAST LR tomorrowimage

MG well done on the 13m - great pace for the conditions!

---

Looks bleak for my Half tomorrow - organisers are making a decision at 2:30pm today.  4m recovery here.  Roads are fine, although the snow is still falling.  Hopefully it will be slush not ice tomorrow?

• Options

NP - Just seen your photos of your hill on Fetch - looks like you had a brill run !!

• Options

Supposed to be doing Banbury 15 tomorrow but it may be cancelled. second race this year because of our beautifuly weather!!

Don't wont to run in the snow because I injuried my achilles early in the year doing that.

Therefore my problem is my training hasn't been going too well this year due to injury and weather. I', up to 20 miles ..... did Ashby last week managed it okay, not as good time as previous year but hey..... my question to you guys is, it's four week till VLM I'm up to 20 miles, probably wont managed a long run this weekend due to snow, do you think one 20 miler will be enough to get me through on the day? weather permitting I will try to get runs in during week and a longish one next weekend. Advice please. Cheers

Preferences § 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace   Tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ]   Return     capslock a s d f g h j k l ; '   shift ` z x c v b n m , . / shift     English     Deutsch   Español   Français   Italiano   Português   ??????????????   alt   alt     Preferences
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Woody,

My last few weeks long runs will be 20/16/13/Race day. Note they won't be quicker than MP + 60 secs.   Maybe find a treadmill for today's?  Good luck...

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SC well done on the treadmill session

Mace hope the run in the snow went ok enjoy your 20 today.

MG1 well done with your 13 miles today conditions not great out there.

Teknik well done on the recovery run.

AGF I stopped and took a couple of videos of the drifts snow 4 to 6 feet and the wind at the top was so strong it was hard to catch your breath.

Woody zip up the suit do 10 to 16 today or tomorrow and 20 next week a target of 100 for five long runs is the norm on here. But you should still be able to get round if you have done only 2.

Well hill run this morning image just over 8 miles, 20 or 22 tomorrow.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Hi, guys- still alive, but another week affected by w**k!image Not too sorry though cos I've got a 10k race planned for tomorrowimage Sorry to hear so many other events cancelledimage

Today saw the official launch of our hilly trail Parkrun- and the course had more water than I've seen before- there were at least 2 puddles which were unavoidable and it was more like cross-country in places- all good fun thoughimage Great to see over 60 runners brave the elements though- made it all seem worthwhile! As for time, I ran 3.12m in 39.42 (12.43 av) splits: 12:50 12:41 12:43 1:28image

Should add that I was sweeping!image If I can knock 4 mins off that time tomorrow, I'll be happyimage 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP well done for getting up and down your hill in a blizzard!image

Jason welcome back.  We're living the GCSE nightmare here from the other side...nice Parkwalk today - impressive turn-out for a first race.  Good luck with a slightly quicker 10k tomorrowimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Tek- my sympathies!!! But I'm out on the road these days visiting newly qualified teachers, rather than in the classroom. Long days with massive mileage though!!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Massive mileage driven, rather than run that is!
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Jason well done sweeping but your still in great shape and don't need much polish to still set up a great effort in London.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- cheers. Sorry about your half. Lots of races getting cancelled around this way too.

Anyone planning on running the San Domenico 20 in Merthyr or the Forest of Dean Half? Both cancelled image
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about cancelled races NP and Teknik. NP that is Mike Gratton, he did a training talk last night and showed his last 3 weeks before the London win. Scary miles and so many back to back quality runs.

Stewart hope you get out for your long run this weekend and all others affected by snow.

Great to hear the parkrun has been launched jason, well done!

Hi Woody, welcome.

NN very sensible to listen to your body and rest. It was a 7:30 start today. Yesterday was easy run then a short tempo session on xc course. Last night when out munching pizza was chatting to Nick Anderson who said no way more than 20 today. Told to do easy then 6m at MP and 3m at MP-15s then run easy to 20. Did that and it was a tough one but enjoyed it. Next week 17 max with 13 at MP! Makes sense I guess as I need to work on the quality. Don't suppose I'll get much sympathy for getting drenched and frozen! Run was in hideously heavy rain. Much better than snow although in shorts and tshirt think I was borderline hypothermic by the end.

I hope the weather improves in the UK, we need some warmth. Take care everyone in the snow and ice, don't want any injuries at this stage.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Great going, Fiona!!image

Just been out for a short 4.15m with 6x100 strides. Wasn't till I was out that I realised that I was wering a pair of shoes that I retired about a year ago, but still keep for out in the garden! Turned to the track for some extra cushioning! lol! 4.15m in 29.55

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & sorry to hear about the cancelled races.  Will they be refunding people's money?

No press ups done today.  We had a fire alarm & unfortunately the coat rack where I'd got my coat wasn't near the fire exit so spent about 15 min outside.  Thankfully it wasn't raining however the cold really got into my shoulder.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

wow great running Fiona image

Jason sorry, I didn't realise the new job had started...

HM ouch...heat bag required.

My race is ON!!image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Think so.  Great news about the race.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Hm4- hope you have warmed up now. My bet s there won't be any refunds for cancelled events- they will just reschedule them- at a time which may or may not suit....

Tek- glad your event's on. Looks promising for my 10k too....
  • Options

How frustrating for those of you who have races cancelled,
    NP/TEK that is such a shame as I a sure you would both would have stormed those halfs ...gutting !!!image

MG1 well done on the 13 in what sounds like pretty grim conditions we haven't had ANYsnow all winter !!

MACE good luck on your last 20 tomorrow,

JASON good luck for your 10k tomorrow, and nice of you to back mark the race, its actually not easy it it and you get really cold,
    FIONA bad luck on the rain !! hope it is isnt spoiling your fun too much it was glorious when I went , is Janice Moorekite still one of the coaches ?

HM4 take care of the shoulder
    I cant believe how bad some of you have had the weather,its been pretty dan cold and wet here but now snow, today is dry and very cold,

Todays scheduled session was a 10k tune up race but no 10k race for me as in the middle of shifts so I decided when I woke at 2 to drive to our clubs 10k race route and run that as fast as I could, and I got a PB 46.40 !!

HR 85.6 %
    7.47...7.38...7.29...7.34...7.23 ...7.25.. 1.22

not an all time pb but the fastest I have gone over 10k in about 10 years I HATE 10k and it was the first distance to suffer once I reached 40 years, pleased but also disappointed it wasn't a real race as I could have gone 45.** I am sure under race conditions.

Hope not too any of your race are cancelled good luck to those who are racing

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Wow, a PB in training is amazing NN! Janice is one of the coaches and she said some very kind things to me yesterday after the XC session and gave me her card.

So pleased to hear your race is on Teknik.

• Options

Fiona  ,Janice is amazing isnt she ..2.48 marathon in her day if I remember rightly,

Tek sorry mis read your post ..so its ON ..good luck 

• Options

NN - Nice PB. I hear you about the 10k, I have never ran a good 10k. Even last year when I took 5 minutes off my PB (and actually went 30 seconds inside my target time) I ran terribly. 

Good to hear that the races are on Jason/Tek

MG/NP - Good running in terrible conditions

Mace - Enjoy the LSR tomorrow, and the taper!

-----------

Gym am, and 3.3 miles pm. Run was awful, should have been 4.5 but had to cut it short through my own stupidity!

Talking of races, my hometown 10k is tomorrow. I shall be running (not racing!image) that as part of a 10-11 miler. Should be fun, weather forecast is 30mph winds, and snow. I need to resist the temptation to go balls out at the start and see how fast I can run a flat 5k with a mighty tailwindimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys.  My shoulder is getting there.  It's not been feeling too bad with this cold weather - up until the fire alarm & I've put this down to doing the press ups so think I'll be continuing this in some form after the challenge is over.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Jason great running mate.

Fiona sounds like all that hard work up and down your hill and double days are paying off great training for you but what happened to your sunshine image

HM4 hope you have warmed up.

NN that's a great run that shows your on for that marathon PB

SM6 enjoy your run tomorrow.
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- easy running, mate! image

NN- a training 10k PB! Not quite what to say to that except, WOW! image

SM- enjoy the 10k/ MLR

Trying to decide whether to race in shorts or tights... Apparently windchill makes it feel like minus 4 tomorrow........
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, normally I wouldn't, and to be perfectly honest I don't think I could do more than 30 minutes, bored.com, well done with the 5 today, and good luck with the twenty

MG, cracking pace in the snow, a great strengthening workout for the legs

Tek, well done with 4 recovery, and good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll smash it image

Woody, listen to the guys on here they now there stuff

NP, impressive hill and you've had a fair bit of snow, just seen some of the news picture in Cumbria, I can't believe people went out in those conditions

Jason, WB, believe it or not I would have been happy with that time a year ago, good luck with the 10k tomorrow

Fiona, it's not to bad here windy and cold, well done with the run today hope you've warmed up now

NN, an excellent PB well done, the rest has done you some good image

SM, enjoy the 10k race, hopefully the wind decides to change direction at the turnaround image

HM, you're doing well with the press up challenge keep going

Today was my last twenty mile run of the campaign, and I'm not at all disappointed with this fact, the legs felt reasonable for the most part and even though I felt a little fatiqued around the 13 mile mark I got through it.  

Stats for the run: 20.08m 3:26:44 @ 10:18mm avgHR 155(80%) HRM played up again for a few miles, but seemed to sort itself after my toliet break.

It is now TAPER TIME!!!!! image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Stewart, top stuff getting the 20 done. I'm just heading off for mine now. Very windy, not too much snow, sodding cold.

Right, man suit zipped up ......
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Stewart- well done- enjoy the taper madness! image

Mace- umm, enjoy the 20! image

My quest for a 10k PB may be somewhat hampered by gale force Arctic winds.....

Oh well! image